Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Eagles Message Board

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EMB Blog: Once AGAIN. Politics to CVON!!!!!

Featured Replies

31 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Your point is a good one and is particularly true when Wentz is in the shotgun. Fortunately, better ball handling can be taught. That's part of why I think they'll run more from under center. Scangarello is the key hire, IMHO, with a background in the 49er offense and it's elements of that offense that I think we'll see incorporated here. The first thing that jumps out at me is how much their QB played under center - 57% of their snaps. By contrast, we ran under center on only 27% of our snaps, so they used it more than double. Even so, their bread-and-butter running play was the outside zone. That's ours too.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-rates--shotgun-v-under-center--off-.html

If you run a lot of play action with the QB under center you're doing a lot of run action with the OL and that can be problematic for protections. This is why the 49ers move the pocket so much. If the OL is selling an OZ to a certain direction, they're going to leave a short corner on the back side, giving a blitzer quick access to the QB. You fix that by moving the QB and bringing a back or TE across the formation to close the back door. That'll be Goedert most of the time, I expect, since they don't really have a FB type (the 49ers do, in Juszczyk - hope I spelled that right). That's OK - we use Goedert in wham blocks a lot so this is nothing new. He'll just come all the way across the formation. And we can use motion to strip away the back side blitzer by running, say jet sweep action toward him, forcing him to flex rather than blitz.

Kenny Anderson was a beautiful QB indeed, until he hurt his shoulder. He got by on smarts for a while but he was never the same, which was so smooth.

One last thing about running from under center. The QB hand action is completely different. In the gun, the arms are extended almost the whole time from snap to mesh point. The QB is facing the defense the whole time. Under center, the QB turns his back on the defense and pulls the ball into his belly. At that point it's invisible to the defense, which is a large part of the effectiveness of play action. You don't even have to be slick with your hand action because, if the defense can't see the ball they tend to freeze if they're keying on the QB. As far as coaching up ball handling, I know that Peyton Manning had cameras set up at various points in the defensive backfield where players would line up and would look at film to see what that player could see in his actions. I believe Montana did that too. No reason the Eagles can't do that for Wentz.

 

Good stuff.  I think the stats also display a bit of predictability on when the Eagles will run or pass.   Look at MN under center rate but the pass a bit more under center.   Cousins is actually pretty decent at play action.  

Love the idea about cameras.  Carson could set that up in his yard.  

  • Replies 27.2k
  • Views 2m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Meet my new Grandson Isaiah Lee greend

  • Green Dog
    Green Dog

    Hmm.  Feels like we've finally cut the cord.  Floating out in the ether. Anger at the faceless dismissal and marginalization of it's own fans by PE.com. But extreme gratitude for guys l

  • Rhinoddd50
    Rhinoddd50

    I mentioned this previously on this board, and in the past years ago on the other board.   I'm not sure Howie has ever come out and said it this plainly, but Howie is telling the truth here.   

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Who would have guessed players turning to distracted speed chess as a way to improve processing and decision making skills?

Excellent idea.  Chess requires all the sorts of approaches that football does in reads.  

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Excellent idea.  Chess requires all the sorts of approaches that football does in reads.  

Horsey runs digs/out routes.  Bishop runs slants.

20 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Horsey runs digs/out routes.  Bishop runs slants.

Bishops do a poor job of selling to the outside. It’s hard to defend a rook’s go route. You’ll have to double him. 

35 minutes ago, justrelax said:

He's got better feet than Big V ever had or has. Good feet and excellent balance. You're right in that he has way less experience than Vaitai, however. V has turned himself into a very good OL, with great versatility. To show what a great judge of OL I am, I wanted V cut as a rookie.

Big V was better than Tega in his punch and arm extension.  Love the Tega pick.  

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

How was he such a disaster here?

 

Congrats to Chung. You know how many bricks you can buy for $3M? Dude's in heaven right now.

41 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

 

PFF just lacks credibility with me.   When you look at the backgrounds of most of the analysts, they are just out of college, most without any coaching, scouting or playing experience playing at being data scientists without the background in data analytics.  The grading systems seem low level with pretty much eyeball tests. No clear calibration standards.  Many seem to do the analysis as a side gig.  This is what they sell to pro teams:

https://media.pff.com/2018/08/PFF-Play-Data-Fields.pdf

So basic level film breakdown, not "analysis”, which is what they sell to the public and media.  

Majority owner is Chris Collingsworth. 

12 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

PFF just lacks credibility with me.   When you look at the backgrounds of most of the analysts, they are just out of college, most without any coaching, scouting or playing experience playing at being data scientists without the background in data analytics.  The grading systems seem low level with pretty much eyeball tests. No clear calibration standards.  Many seem to do the analysis as a side gig.  This is what they sell to pro teams:

https://media.pff.com/2018/08/PFF-Play-Data-Fields.pdf

So basic level film breakdown, not "analysis”, which is what they sell to the public and media.  

Majority owner is Chris Collingsworth. 

That’s fine. To each their own. I wouldn’t use their grades as any sort of definitive proof, but I believe they point people in the right direction. Would I look at if I were a team, probably not, but we’re just fans on a message board. None of us experts and can watch every player on every team. For us in the Blog, I think they’re very useful. Even coaches sat down with them to grade the same players and the OL coach (I think it was Alexander when he was with the Bengals) agreed with their grades. 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

I was a little surprised myself, but they must be really giving DJax and Alshon the benefit of the doubt. The TEs help too. 

Which is odd because they seem to be writing off Jackson and Jeffery as unknowns in their breakdown. 

I really like the Reagor pick, but the reality is if Jackson goes down this group might only be marginally better than last year, and most of that is TBD on how much Reagor can contribute during a possibly truncated training camp. 

59 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Horsey runs digs/out routes.  Bishop runs slants.

Queen must be the RPO of chess

33 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

PFF just lacks credibility with me.   When you look at the backgrounds of most of the analysts, they are just out of college, most without any coaching, scouting or playing experience playing at being data scientists without the background in data analytics.  The grading systems seem low level with pretty much eyeball tests. No clear calibration standards.  Many seem to do the analysis as a side gig.  This is what they sell to pro teams:

https://media.pff.com/2018/08/PFF-Play-Data-Fields.pdf

So basic level film breakdown, not "analysis”, which is what they sell to the public and media.  

Majority owner is Chris Collingsworth. 

Yep it's garbage as far as I'm concerned. Anything that has Ryan Tannehil as the 4th best QB in the NFL clearly has some issues.

1 minute ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Yep it's garbage as far as I'm concerned. Anything that has Ryan Tannehil as the 4th best QB in the NFL clearly has some issues.

They're fine for gathering scatter plots but dreadful at interpreting them.

4 hours ago, greend said:

McNabb was cooked

 

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

PFF just lacks credibility with me.   When you look at the backgrounds of most of the analysts, they are just out of college, most without any coaching, scouting or playing experience playing at being data scientists without the background in data analytics.  The grading systems seem low level with pretty much eyeball tests. No clear calibration standards.  Many seem to do the analysis as a side gig.  This is what they sell to pro teams:

https://media.pff.com/2018/08/PFF-Play-Data-Fields.pdf

So basic level film breakdown, not "analysis”, which is what they sell to the public and media.  

Majority owner is Chris Collingsworth. 

Did not know that

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Billy Davis wasn’t good but also not a disaster. Chip wanted the two-gap 3-4 and then gave him nothing at cornerback to work with. 

In 2013 the Eagles were 23rd in DVOA (15th in weighted). In 2014 the Eagles were 10th. In 2015, they finished 17th. 

The extra possessions both inflated the offensive and defensive per game stats. 

There's no question Chip's offense impacted the play of the offense.  I still think Billy Davis wasn't a good coordinator.  

39 minutes ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Yep it's garbage as far as I'm concerned. Anything that has Ryan Tannehil as the 4th best QB in the NFL clearly has some issues.

They have stats like interceptable passes which are not in fact stats. They also don't value a players' performance in the context of the game.  

Just seeing reports of Lebron training to play football in 2011. 
 

You know Jerry would have made sure he was on the final 53 whether he earned it or not. 
 

I think he would have been a legit redzone threat and probably would have been used as a FG blocker since he’s 6’8 but I can’t see how he ever would have been a legit #2 TE or WR. 

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

F Lebron

I wish he would have suited up for the Cowboys. Would have been so fitting 

 

 

 

Ohio State can house 105,000 for reference. 

 

14 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

 

I’m gonna play both sides of this... 

20-30k is still a lot of people. I can’t see anyway you manage to social distance that many people entering and leaving the stadium. If one person has the virus, it probably spreads to several others. 
 

Also... is allowing 20-30k really going to be that big of a deal? I’m sure there will be no tailgating, bars in the town will still be under restrictions. The college football experience is all about big groups of people and the atmosphere. 
 

The pros will be able to manage without fans but I can’t see college football being worth it. 

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

That’s fine. To each their own. I wouldn’t use their grades as any sort of definitive proof, but I believe they point people in the right direction. Would I look at if I were a team, probably not, but we’re just fans on a message board. None of us experts and can watch every player on every team. For us in the Blog, I think they’re very useful. Even coaches sat down with them to grade the same players and the OL coach (I think it was Alexander when he was with the Bengals) agreed with their grades. 

Do you subscribe?

i could see teams using the raw data but feeding into their own models for analysis   That’s what it looks like to me.   Problem is that teams are looking for tendencies and to avoid tendencies.  Stats don’t substitute for film work for tells.  

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.