Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

Early on I listed off whom I considered our most key players to lose. AJ is awesome! But we can still do operate without him better than some other players. Just pointing out its not just based on talent level.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goedert was high on my list. We’ve overcome the loss fairly well. But it clearly took adjustment time. We need him back. Just no doubting the difference in our O capabilities with him versus without him.

Think Sanders is key. I know you, No Mas, aren’t high on him. But he’s the big weapon back there. Think without him there is no fear. We can still rush the ball. But the chance at the big play isn’t there. 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So I’m extremely curious to see how things work out for Geno. I wouldn’t authorize paying him in that range. If he finishes the season on fire then I’d maybe consider the one year tag option. Drafting a top QB would be what I’d do if Seattle. Or really anybody that would be considering buying him. Really feels like whoever goes with him was the loser in every other Avenue possible at QB.

Gen I’d numbers are good though. So by stats he’s earned those figures.

The worst situation is paying a mediocre QB...mediocre money.  It's too expensive.   

Obviously Hurts is key. If he goes down….season over. Expectations fall off a cliff. We could beat a bottom level playoff team with Shew. But just totally lose thinking of us as a contender with him.

No Mas we saw in 2021 we were sitting just last the elite stud level talent at ….what was it…6. So that draft class. 6 wasn’t nearly 5 or 4. Just the way the talent was available. We traded back then traded up to get Smitty.

We could see a trade like that again.. who knows....but that's a discussion for Feb, March, April...right  now it's just hoping the pick is as high as possible.  Can set us up long term big time!!!  

I mean, that trade with Miami basically gave us BOTH our starting WRs.  We do that again... would be great. 

Fourth round pick isn’t pick ten overall. Not sure why I can’t justify both feelings. Fourth round pick has its value. It’s not nearly a top ten level value, agreed. But why am I weird for not wanting to just give away a fourth round pick? Why can’t I have a separate thought about the value of this 2023 draft class? Not sure how the elite prospect dropoff appearing to be just inside the top ten has anything to do with a fourth round pick? Seems totally logical to me to lament just giving away a fourth rounder….and still feel disappointed in differences between 6 and 10 in draft order positioning. All matters to me. All factors. Completely logical thinking ….in my mind at least. All in perspective.

You have been looking for negatives for Howie all year... dude should easily be GM of the year with where the roster was last February and where it has been built up to now.  

And looking at draft capital... on top of building this stellar roster. ... he got a top 1st round pick and lost a late 4th. 

Phenomenal swap. 

You lock in on your agenda.

Howie bad...no credit.    Hurts good,can do no wrong. 

When complimenting Howie...it's done in a condescending way.  When attempting to criticize Hurts, it's always in a way to where it's minor and someone else was at more fault. 

It's just obvious. You refused to see how good this roster was all offseason.  How success with this schedule was going to be plentiful.  You can't give Howie credit for putting a roster around Hurts to where if it fails to win big that Hurts will be more to blame than Howie.  

I mean, you are even trying to make trading for AJ as Hurts idea???  Come on man.   Relax and enjoy.  The idea is to give your guys a chance to succeed or fail on the biggest stage.  Howie has done that.  It's ok if Hurts ultimately fails to win it all.. he seems to have the mindset to handle it.  You should too.  Dude is going to be the highest paid Eagles player ever...criticism comes with that.  Shouldn't bother you.

You didn't like the Saints trade because your thoughts were negative about anything putting us in a better position to replace Hurts.   You can't even bring yourself to root for the Saints to fail.   Relax dude....it's about the Eagles not you or anyone else on here or any other fan site.

40 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

If that excites you….I’m fine with it. I’m really just a football fan at heart. So I crave exciting high quality finishes and games to watch. But at its essence I’m with you. I just can’t get that hard core into league wide rooting wise based on the Saints first round pick we acquired. I’ll be there with you the final two weeks for sure.

But see ...I'm a big picture guy.  I don't watch college...or pregame or post game interviews with position coaches.....so it's not hard to take a few minutes to understand the teans I need to see win.   And how this progresses over the season. 

First...we root against the Saints each week.  2nd in any AFC vs NFC matchup,I want to see AFC win...because it helps my Eagles seed wise.

Now we have a 5 game final push... very easy to see we what we want to happen.  Eagles 2 games ahead, they take care of their own business... and the 1 seed.    Even with 2 losses...either  Dallas and Minnesota will have to go 5-0 to beat us.

We also see the teams who we need to win to stay ahead of the Saints.    

Not really hard to watch a game or the scoreboard and prefer one team to win...is it?    Idk about " excite me"  but it does provide an interest in an outcome.   Usually most fans prefer games where they have an interest in the outcome. 

But hey, there are others who focus more on how much Geno Smith will get paid.  It is what it is.

Was just reading an article about how the offense was forced to adapt after losing Goedert. Pretty positive viewpoint. We clearly had some struggles. But saw Quez and the RBs pick up production. Just all positive to add to our arsenal to make us the most dangerous possible.

47 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So too much for me to rack my brain on. I still haven’t completely accepted us as top seed yet. Feels like with three Division games still left to play…..so much still on the line with teams extremely familiar with us.

I hate the gmen

Hard to accept succes when you have to give credit to the GM and the coach who replaced Doug.   But it was pretty much written on the wall all offseason.

Where it might be hard for you to accept  ...because you have been an Eagles fan for a long time and you probably feel the competition is very weak compared to the norm.  That might be what's making it not seem so real for you...but we can only play the schedule. 

Btw... won't surprise me if the Giants end up with 7 wins.

Dallas,Seattle should be in... Washington has the advantage to get the 7th seed...but Detroit,Atlanta and Green Bay could play their way to 9 wins.  I actually don't see much changing other than the Giants fading at this point. 

51 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Agree about click bait...   

But was half serious about the intangibles.  I absolutely think they come into play with the free agents.  At this point the players aren't going to pick a team due to the slight money difference... probably not geographic reasons either... i think the intangibles come into play.  I think Howie has them as a GM ..THIS YEAR... with the feeling around the organization.  I think the record comes into play,I think the vibe from the city leftover from the Phillies run, the coach has seemed  to have it from the start.  The QB is just the best human on the planet.  So yeah I think there are some there.  

That said, I have no clue what an intangible report would be...lol

I think Siri very emotionally charged for what I’ve ever thought a coach should be like. But the dynamics seem to work pretty well here. He that coach that really is involved with his guys. Hurts at QB with him is very balancing. Kid is just focused. So even keeled way beyond his years. He doesn’t get super emotional. Really so impressive. This very unique relationship appears to really be working. Opposite of what I’ve ever seen before. Usually coach stays more calm. We have the firey emotional HC and ultra calm player leader.

51 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Injuries and health are very much in my mind. For us to make serious noise postseason: we have to play at a high level. Just can’t coast and win. Just don’t see us at that level.

Who do you see as better in the NFC?   Btw... I agree,don't see us at that level either... but in the 2022 NFC... I don't see anyone else either.  

51 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Defense needs a lot of help.  Offense will need to replace some RBs...and the OL.  I think we can hold off on the WR and TE for now...backups are a luxury... the team will need to specifically draft for potential long term starters.  Goedert,Brown and Smith are locked in... I get depth helps.   But let's not Dream Team again...backups everywhere..but holes in the middle of the defense. 

So you aren’t still on the BPA train? Are you strictly looking positional in upcoming drafts?

48 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’ve been that guarded fan against our success as to us getting exposed. Think it happened there to result in our loss and struggle some during that time. But I still have questions about if Gannon will be ready. I still have some anxieties about how he’ll overplay not giving up the big play. That we can be beat by an accurate short  passing  game with rushing that keeps teams on schedule. Those long drives that keep our O on the sidelines cold. Where our D just gets worn out.

You mean to use that as the excuse for the possibility of a Tampa loss...rather than Todd Bowles using the same game plan he exposed Hurts twice last year? 

49 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

They need to overcompensate due to the actions of some of the past players.    Besides,  in today's times ... well... you can figure it out.  Need to be politically correct... good thing for this kid of he is actually not guilty... he should be back next year.

You think lol

I’m not seeing the NFL act politically correct actually. I understand what you’re saying. But they really blew the Kap kneeling situation. The No fun rules were to strict and lame. But I struggle to see how in America’s biggest sport the American way isn’t important. Penalizing and ruining peoples careers over just having allegations is just not American. 

43 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Think Sanders is key. I know you, No Mas, aren’t high on him. But he’s the big weapon back there. Think without him there is no fear. We can still rush the ball. But the chance at the big play isn’t there. 

He doesn't impact much.  They take him out on all those 3rd downs you have been praising the team for all year.   If he was that impactful,he wouldn't come off the field on those plays.

Pro football career windows are just so tiny. Very publicly seen. Having Goodell be the judge over all laws isn’t correct, politically or not. I just can’t see how it’s correct, politically or not, to basically punish and find any player guilty just by any allegation against him. We have a clear cut court system. That is where all these matters need to be judged. Judges, lawyers and juries should hear all evidence and decide. Until that happens against an individual I don’t see any right the league should have to judge. It’s just crap to ruin some of these guys opportunities over just an accusation. 

55 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Probably a smart move not to be locked in the high price for one year.  They can negotiate with more leverage. 

You don't know the intangibles in the locker room? 

I’m sure he’s keeping the bench and trainers table warm for others.

44 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Obviously Hurts is key. If he goes down….season over. Expectations fall off a cliff. We could beat a bottom level playoff team with Shew. But just totally lose thinking of us as a contender with him.

I could see us getting to the SB and getting absolutely crushed with Shew.  But then again,  he did beat out Foles. 

But for me ...Foles can be an absolute stud for a short stretch...his weakness is long term play...just can't do it.   

So I absolutely won't feel as confident if Shew had to play Buffalo or KC.   But to be honest... 2017,I thought we were better than New England by a decent amount,  felt Jax would have been a tougher match up but they choked.   This year, I can't say the same comparing us to Buffalo or KC.   But if we were to play anyone else.. I would see us as the favorite 

56 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah....who was trying to tell you this years ago.  If the previous guy worked out for us, the $28 mil would be looking like a bargain.   Watch how your boy gets his $$$, but the cap hit will be half of Dak... and the ability to get out if needed will be there

Wouldn't surprise me if Geno ends up with more of a cap hit than Hurts.

You’ve said your points. But believe if was myself that was really bringing to your attention how quickly the price was jumping. Was predicting 50 mil was going to arrive real quick back six years ago….or so.

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think Siri very emotionally charged for what I’ve ever thought a coach should be like. But the dynamics seem to work pretty well here. He that coach that really is involved with his guys. Hurts at QB with him is very balancing. Kid is just focused. So even keeled way beyond his years. He doesn’t get super emotional. Really so impressive. This very unique relationship appears to really be working. Opposite of what I’ve ever seen before. Usually coach stays more calm. We have the firey emotional HC and ultra calm player leader.

I think the coach does a spectacular job putting the QB in position to succeed.   Using the RPO to his strengths.  Then timing it just right from going from a Saturday offense to a Sunday one.   Keeping his QB out of bad situations.  Think he manages the clock well... uses the QB sneak and the set up plays for " hard counts" extremely well.    Basically he doesn't beat himself.  

You guys point out all the negative and teams " exposing us"  ...I'll say it took fluke fumbles to have us lose in a game where we could have put up 35-40 points without those 2 flukes... all while the other team controlled the ball.

That's pretty impressive... to go with 11 wins in the other 11 games 

But if 50 mil is top market value you still saving a ton if you can find a serviceable QB at 30. 30 is a big chunk of money. But can’t just ignore 20 mil less. I believe there are many different ways to win in this league. Everybody wants every player to be the best in the world at his job. But I can envision winning with less than the top QB. That extra twenty mil if put towards a WR let’s say could level out some. Or two ten mil quality starters most anywhere on the team. So many possibilities in so many directions. 
  Geno not remotely worth that though. So he’s not a guy I would pay that. But I could consider many ways of winning with a B level QB. Heck seen Niners do plenty of winning with not even a B level guy at the helm.

18 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So you aren’t still on the BPA train? Are you strictly looking positional in upcoming drafts?

Nope... I'm always BPA.  But again we look at the roster in each specific year.  Right now we have young WR and TE... all locked up.  Long term doesn't make sense to me to go there.

But I'm not of the " need" mindset where I have to go one position over the other.  If the stud CB is better than the DL at our pick...we take the CB.   Regardless if i think DL is the bigger need.  

Now if AJ or Smith were 33 years old , and a WR was my bpa...yeah, I would say take him.  Because I'm looking ahead, not just the current year.  But for now, I see these 2 locked in another 3 years minimum together....probably longer.  I'm not using a 1st for a WR now. Too many other needs...long term and next year for that matter.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah....who was trying to tell you this years ago.  If the previous guy worked out for us, the $28 mil would be looking like a bargain.   Watch how your boy gets his $$$, but the cap hit will be half of Dak... and the ability to get out if needed will be there

Wouldn't surprise me if Geno ends up with more of a cap hit than Hurts.

Was that a bargain for Wentz? Clearly no! So nice try on spinning your epic failed opinion about Wentz. Your viewpoint on the great bargain of how we paid Wentz and they paid Dak hasn’t aged well at all in my mind. We got robbed. We passed off the robbery on others se at least. But Dak pay has clearly looked like a better move. I’m not really as high on Dak as most. But just no denying Dak is clearly their leader and a high level starting QB. Wentz three teams in three seasons are running from him. In a bubble without comparing actual players(like you were doing) your theory does have merit. But you get lost sometimes. Kind of your typical stuff you lose yourself on. Gotta pay the right guy either way. Cowboys waited and seemingly at least paid the right guy. We paid the wrong guy early. So your point is actually terrible. Cowboys did much better than us when comparing those two players. Hindsight now just clearly has taking away even any chance to argue against this. Dak good….Wentz bad. Both decisions contract wise are flawed. 

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Lance been out all year man. That’s why Jimmy G actually was playing. They got this young cat they seem to like. Think that team is so used to carrying their QB play they can easily handle this situation. Going with a third stringer from nowhere the whole team can just rally behind his limitations. They’ll give him plenty of leeway and have expectationsmeasured. So frustrations over that position actually might go down now. 

Yes I posted that above(if you bothered to check)

Archived