Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

The worst situation is paying a mediocre QB...mediocre money.  It's too expensive.   

It’s all just relative still. I could win with a C plus QB. I need him to be steady. He has to be good in the big moments though. Leader and clutch….gotta have those. But saving twenty or so mil is very significant. Niners been doing it. Titans been doing it.  30 mil seems crazy. But it’s 25 less than the top guy. That can actually go quite a ways to fill out a roster.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not seeing the NFL act politically correct actually. I understand what you’re saying. But they really blew the Kap kneeling situation. The No fun rules were to strict and lame. But I struggle to see how in America’s biggest sport the American way isn’t important. Penalizing and ruining peoples careers over just having allegations is just not American. 

Ok....I'll say it.  Anything with a racism or sexism undertone isn't going to fly today.  All the stuff we have seen with these guys treating women " poorly" ( that's a conservative choice of words) they can't take a chance in today's environment.   The kneeling was before the incident in Minnesota.  Things have changed in the last few years 

Feel bad for the dude if he wasn't involved.  But the NFL had to play it that way.  Not even sure what happened here...did the team just release him on their own? 

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Goedert is elite. So taking a TE in the first  seems like one of the least likely scenarios. Still a bunch of good TEs in this class. So I could see adding a TE late third or fourth area potentially. Think we have to see how Calcatarra pans out here. But it’s easy to consider us going back to utilizing more multiple TE sets. Stoll the blocking TE still can be used plenty. Have Goedert rocking it. Still room for one more very good TE really. He could be worked in to playing time right away. Also gives us that backup option in case Goedert goes down again. Goedert I have to admit isn’t the most durable. But we’ve been a heavy TE usage team for years. Think we have been more 3 Wr set this year probably since the old Chipper days. 

Or take another WR and boost the 3 and 4 Wr set formations. Plenty of different options and ways to go about things.

If Goedert is elite,why do you need another one? You are panicking because he is out LOL. Very POOR reason to take a round 1 TE

24 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Pro football career windows are just so tiny. Very publicly seen. Having Goodell be the judge over all laws isn’t correct, politically or not. I just can’t see how it’s correct, politically or not, to basically punish and find any player guilty just by any allegation against him. We have a clear cut court system. That is where all these matters need to be judged. Judges, lawyers and juries should hear all evidence and decide. Until that happens against an individual I don’t see any right the league should have to judge. It’s just crap to ruin some of these guys opportunities over just an accusation. 

I don't think it's just Goodell here. He is the face... but let's be real.

Yeah....who was trying to tell you this years ago.  If the previous guy worked out for us, the $28 mil would be looking like a bargain.   Watch how your boy gets his $$$, but the cap hit will be half of Dak... and the ability to get out if needed will be there

Wouldn't surprise me if Geno ends up with more of a cap hit than Hurts.

I’d say that’s a given. We all know Rosie going to backload so deep. I’d expect Hurts initial two years cap hits to be laughable compared to his annual salary. Then his numbers will become fairly crippling. But I already know you’ll point towards the rising cap numbers as making it easier to absorb.

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Goedert is elite. So taking a TE in the first  seems like one of the least likely scenarios. Still a bunch of good TEs in this class. So I could see adding a TE late third or fourth area potentially. Think we have to see how Calcatarra pans out here. But it’s easy to consider us going back to utilizing more multiple TE sets. Stoll the blocking TE still can be used plenty. Have Goedert rocking it. Still room for one more very good TE really. He could be worked in to playing time right away. Also gives us that backup option in case Goedert goes down again. Goedert I have to admit isn’t the most durable. But we’ve been a heavy TE usage team for years. Think we have been more 3 Wr set this year probably since the old Chipper days. 

Or take another WR and boost the 3 and 4 Wr set formations. Plenty of different options and ways to go about things.

Line line line line,DB DB DB DB(did I miss linemen or DB on this,list?)

17 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You’ve said your points. But believe if was myself that was really bringing to your attention how quickly the price was jumping. Was predicting 50 mil was going to arrive real quick back six years ago….or so.

Absolutely not...come on now.  You were complaining about the contracts in the high 20 mil range. Stop it now...what's next you going to take credit for telling me how good pasta is?

We could see a trade like that again.. who knows....but that's a discussion for Feb, March, April...right  now it's just hoping the pick is as high as possible.  Can set us up long term big time!!!  

I mean, that trade with Miami basically gave us BOTH our starting WRs.  We do that again... would be great. 

But you made zero comment on how I am pointing out how even higher in that draft the talent fell off. We wouldn’t have traded back otherwise. We draft Pitts or Chase. And that’s what is actually best.

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The NFL should not be trumping the rule of law. IMO innocent until proven guilty. Just seems so wrong that according to NFL policy and accusations result in punishment.

Because Goodell sucks and always has

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well Duke is a school full of entitled little ****es. Nobody in their own state really even supports them. Their whole persona is their belief of being better than everybody…so they can counter their real life awkward and goofiness with money.

So that means they are guilty by default? What happened to fairness?

We could see a trade like that again.. who knows....but that's a discussion for Feb, March, April...right  now it's just hoping the pick is as high as possible.  Can set us up long term big time!!!  

I mean, that trade with Miami basically gave us BOTH our starting WRs.  We do that again... would be great. 

All depends what you actually do with it. If we get Carter that dominates on the Dline for ten years that’s the big win. Trading back at 8 because the elite guys were gone gets you what? If we trade back to 20 and get a first next year and take Reagor and Dillard….which path is better?

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Raiders declined Josh Jacobs fifth year option. So he’s a FA to be unless they tag him. Bad choice by them on declining that option. I don’t see anybody coughing up McCaffrey type money for him. But am curious if he is an option for us. I’d consider him an upgrade over Sanders right now. So if they are near the same neighborhood in contract pricing I’d just give a bit extra and pick up Jacobs. All just unjustified talk….we all know Rosie won’t pay up at RB.

Jacobs,around 12.5 mil,Sanders maybe 7.2.( I read the article too so don't claim this as your own idea lol)

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But if 50 mil is top market value you still saving a ton if you can find a serviceable QB at 30. 30 is a big chunk of money. But can’t just ignore 20 mil less. I believe there are many different ways to win in this league. Everybody wants every player to be the best in the world at his job. But I can envision winning with less than the top QB. That extra twenty mil if put towards a WR let’s say could level out some. Or two ten mil quality starters most anywhere on the team. So many possibilities in so many directions. 
  Geno not remotely worth that though. So he’s not a guy I would pay that. But I could consider many ways of winning with a B level QB. Heck seen Niners do plenty of winning with not even a B level guy at the helm.

See ...the problem that you miss all the time. You have such a disdain over " dead money "  you would over pay a QB 30 mil...but hate $1 mil of dead money 5 years later for another guy. 

For that $30 mil...it's not going to be long term. Because nobody wants to be locked into a mediocre QB situation for 5 years and pay $150 mil.    So that $30 mil is going to take a huge cap hit. Much better off going after the next Geno at $3.5 mil...drafting a possible franchise QB..or paying top $ for a top QB.    

The cap is all that matters for the team.  Why be locked into Geno Smith for more money than Aaron Donald?

Gotta always remember the goal is attaining talent. More ammo(draft and money) can clearly help achieve things. But making the right choices is most important. So if we get Carter at 6. That’s a much better higher odds bet than two 20th pick players. I prefer Rosie getting setup for the sure pick elite talent guy….than winning Draft Wars on paper.

Fourth round pick. Paid him legit money. Got zero production. So not seeing how it can go down as anything but a loss. You’re waiting on time to tell….but I don’t see him contributing anymore this season either. So clock ran out on that player…for this season. Results are in: BUST!

Yes all 4th round picks and or trades for same end up being total STUDS

Geno is playing for 3.5 mil this season

He's kicking Wilsons rear end

So me feeling around pick 8 being a dropoff level potentially in 2023 draft is actually more robust class than that one was considered. 

We have no clue where the drop off is,it's WAY too early to state that

12 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Was that a bargain for Wentz? Clearly no! So nice try on spinning your epic failed opinion about Wentz. Your viewpoint on the great bargain of how we paid Wentz and they paid Dak hasn’t aged well at all in my mind. We got robbed. We passed off the robbery on others se at least. But Dak pay has clearly looked like a better move. I’m not really as high on Dak as most. But just no denying Dak is clearly their leader and a high level starting QB. Wentz three teams in three seasons are running from him. In a bubble without comparing actual players(like you were doing) your theory does have merit. But you get lost sometimes. Kind of your typical stuff you lose yourself on. Gotta pay the right guy either way. Cowboys waited and seemingly at least paid the right guy. We paid the wrong guy early. So your point is actually terrible. Cowboys did much better than us when comparing those two players. Hindsight now just clearly has taking away even any chance to argue against this. Dak good….Wentz bad. Both decisions contract wise are flawed. 

No spin... the point was always consistent.  The contact was excellent for a franchise QB.   The player didn't perform. 

If we signed him for $7 mil per year... that's still a bad contract if the player fails.

This is what I'm trying to explain to you about Eagles vs Dallas approach on contracts.  You confuse bad player decisions to bad cap management. 

Dak... starting franchise QB.  Excellent pick in round 4 right?  But his contract sucks.  It's 2 different things.  Dallas gets the players right,  then messes up the contract.   Eagles get players wrong.  But when they get them right, the contract is always good value compared to the rest of the league.

We can discuss this better once Hurts gets paid.  I really think that will help you understand. 

Agree about click bait...   

But was half serious about the intangibles.  I absolutely think they come into play with the free agents.  At this point the players aren't going to pick a team due to the slight money difference... probably not geographic reasons either... i think the intangibles come into play.  I think Howie has them as a GM ..THIS YEAR... with the feeling around the organization.  I think the record comes into play,I think the vibe from the city leftover from the Phillies run, the coach has seemed  to have it from the start.  The QB is just the best human on the planet.  So yeah I think there are some there.  

That said, I have no clue what an intangible report would be...lol

He has spiffy hair, what's that worth???

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Daboll is a very good O mind. He just knows how to adjust quickly to whatever we present against him. So I’m not counting either game against the giants as a victory yet. Not counting the cowboy game as a victory either.

Easy,rattle Jones early and they die on the vine, just like we had Eli's number for many years

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It’s all just relative still. I could win with a C plus QB. I need him to be steady. He has to be good in the big moments though. Leader and clutch….gotta have those. But saving twenty or so mil is very significant. Niners been doing it. Titans been doing it.  30 mil seems crazy. But it’s 25 less than the top guy. That can actually go quite a ways to fill out a roster.

Yes...you could win with a C plus QB... but not if he has a $30 mil cap hit. You win with those C plus guys when they are cheap.

You have been looking for negatives for Howie all year... dude should easily be GM of the year with where the roster was last February and where it has been built up to now.  

And looking at draft capital... on top of building this stellar roster. ... he got a top 1st round pick and lost a late 4th. 

Phenomenal swap. 

You lock in on your agenda.

Howie bad...no credit.    Hurts good,can do no wrong. 

When complimenting Howie...it's done in a condescending way.  When attempting to criticize Hurts, it's always in a way to where it's minor and someone else was at more fault. 

It's just obvious. You refused to see how good this roster was all offseason.  How success with this schedule was going to be plentiful.  You can't give Howie credit for putting a roster around Hurts to where if it fails to win big that Hurts will be more to blame than Howie.  

I mean, you are even trying to make trading for AJ as Hurts idea???  Come on man.   Relax and enjoy.  The idea is to give your guys a chance to succeed or fail on the biggest stage.  Howie has done that.  It's ok if Hurts ultimately fails to win it all.. he seems to have the mindset to handle it.  You should too.  Dude is going to be the highest paid Eagles player ever...criticism comes with that.  Shouldn't bother you.

You didn't like the Saints trade because your thoughts were negative about anything putting us in a better position to replace Hurts.   You can't even bring yourself to root for the Saints to fail.   Relax dude....it's about the Eagles not you or anyone else on here or any other fan site.

Alright, this is your false narrative spin. I just call every move and really everything how I see it. I’m doing it in real time all the time here. I will admit I saw us as moved into second tier in the NFC. So top seed is achieving more than I predicted. I have no problem admitting I was under rating our position amongst the NFC. You’re just flat wrong about the Saints trade with my feelings against it being driven by Hurts being replaced. You been missing what I’ve been saying for two years obviously. I was the one guy that knew and understood Hurts was the guy. Was pointing out how I haven’t favored any QB option since we took Hurts. Your whole point is based on my fear of Hurts being replaced…clearly BS. Pretty sure everybody here can back me up on my clear opinion is that Hurts is the guy. I saw this coming you have to remember. So your mindset youre using doesn’t apply to mine. 

Injuries and health are very much in my mind. For us to make serious noise postseason: we have to play at a high level. Just can’t coast and win. Just don’t see us at that level.

Wait!!!! This is a 180 from "rest our starters"(aka coast) you stated less than a week ago. Your inconsistency is showing. SMH as you continually confuse me with opposing statements

But I can praise Rosie but also complain where I don’t agree. I don’t see why I can’t. I was that guy complaining after the SB about what decisions he was making. How the contracts were leading us. Everybody else here seemed she’ll shocked about the position the franchise was in at 2019 and 2020. 

Obviously Hurts is key. If he goes down….season over. Expectations fall off a cliff. We could beat a bottom level playoff team with Shew. But just totally lose thinking of us as a contender with him.

How do you know this after 1 game vs a crap jets team a year ago????(Hint-you have no clue what Shew can do or not do)

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’d say that’s a given. We all know Rosie going to backload so deep. I’d expect Hurts initial two years cap hits to be laughable compared to his annual salary. Then his numbers will become fairly crippling. But I already know you’ll point towards the rising cap numbers as making it easier to absorb.

Ok... when were Brady's numbers crippling? When they released him.  This farce he took less...he got paid, but they bonuses him the money not to count vs the cap.   I don't think Hurts numbers will very crippling.  Because he either redoes the deal ( as Wentz would have done if he panned out) or he goes. No way he stays here and plays out the deal without getting redone. Oh...but that dead money in 2034... oh no.  Lol.

Meanwhile...and pay attention here... Dallas hasn't signed a significant free agent in years...but the Eagles had no cap space..and look at their signings.

Cap space is a tool... to be used as part of the equation to make moves.  Eagles have done so, Dallas hasn't.  Congrats to them for having less dead money...didn't help them with squat did it?

Obviously Hurts is key. If he goes down….season over. Expectations fall off a cliff. We could beat a bottom level playoff team with Shew. But just totally lose thinking of us as a contender with him.

yes when we lost Wentz all was lost in 2017

Archived