Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think he accomplished what he needed playing the game also. Just no way he would have been satisfied with that before this season. Took his legacy to a whole other level. Don’t think him getting injured tarnished that part at all.

Well he was 5th in voting,just missing,because alot of times they want to see a completed season in bowl games. Stroud really has respect for him also,but he could not finish what he started,so it was understandable he didn't get in. I'm sure he is disappointed. Someone will get a nice QB.His style would fit the Ravens and Jackson is showing signs of being injured alot now. he could sit behind Jackson a year. His style would also fit AZ

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Calcaterra also played with Hurts. This is not coincidence. Now if you are getting all these guys around him he knows,I would think the intention is to sign him. I would suspect we also sign Sermon to some type deal unless he really stinks

Well Ward was from the same town and all. But we still cut him. Of coarse he’s back now. Feels like Hurts really puts in the time to connect with everybody. He isn’t so easy to put guys in the doghouse. A lift you up and believe in you personality. Like that about him. How many times you seen ARod or some of these superstars be quick to diss receivers? Play favorites. Worst case scenario Hurts already faced…..Reagor as his starter. He handled that pretty well. You know for having to deal with a starting receiver that’s practically worthless. He kept trying with him way past any of us believed he would succeed. But did eventually just have to make any better decision than trying Reagor.

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Taking Sanders place is a huge leap. Dressing on gamedays would be nice start for him. Can’t down him but so much with him just not getting any chances. Some guys just need that opportunity. I could see Sermon going either way really. I can’t even envision becoming the bell cow starter for him right now though. But could see him having his niche roll.

If Sanders won't sign what choice do you have? I stated "along with another FA RB". I would be fine with Hunt,Sermon and Gains if it came to that even if Scott won't sign either

I feel Hurts would rather sign after this year than remain on a final year rook pay deal. Basically that would be a years income difference lost. He could hold out,lose that money difference,but it would be hard to regain that loss with another teams deal. The new team would have to pay 5 years pay in 4 years(on a 4 year contract) to make that up and IDK anyone who would do that

No one expected Hurts to make a third-year jump of this magnitude. Not a single soul.

The Eagles signal-caller was nothing more than a mediocre quarterback last season in his first full year as the starter. Hurts ranked in the bottom half of the league in passing yards per game (209.6) and completion percentage (61.8%). His rushing stats were outstanding, but critics believed he didn’t have the arm strength, accuracy, or decision-making skills to become an above-average passer in the NFL.       This is why I wasn't "gung ho" and wanted to see more

https://www.sportscasting.com/jalen-hurts-contract-711-nfl-players-higher-salary-eagles-qb/  Here is the full article from 3 days ago

18 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well Ward was from the same town and all. But we still cut him. Of coarse he’s back now. Feels like Hurts really puts in the time to connect with everybody. He isn’t so easy to put guys in the doghouse. A lift you up and believe in you personality. Like that about him. How many times you seen ARod or some of these superstars be quick to diss receivers? Play favorites. Worst case scenario Hurts already faced…..Reagor as his starter. He handled that pretty well. You know for having to deal with a starting receiver that’s practically worthless. He kept trying with him way past any of us believed he would succeed. But did eventually just have to make any better decision than trying Reagor.

Ward is reliable, but not a top talent. He is fine in a pinch or as a relief WR. Just because someone knows Hurts is not enough

21 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I could possibly disagree on this point. If he goes somewhere else, where would that be? And remember we still have him another year if he won't sign,we can hold him to that. That gives us a year to get another QB. So what would you do? Any in need team that has the offensive assets we do?. First you need a full blown excellent offense,secondly you have to be a team that gives up on their QB. IDK who qualifies for that? You could argue the Raiders maybe? Rams? Would Hurts leave all his friends for a few dollars more? I don't see it. I'm not tagging him if it's me. It shouldn't have to come to that. Either he likes it here or he doesn't and Howie has many options. I'm sure we won't try ripping him off and I don't see him making huge demands for top dollar.

No question you tag. Tag and trade if you are real convinced a contract is unreachable. But not just letting an asset like that go for free. I think plenty of teams would jump at bidding for his services. Pay him crazy money while also surrendering many picks. As much as I’ve believed in him I still consider all options. Just feel it’s the only way to make educated decisions. I consider everybody tradeable. How much draft ammo would be get in return for Hurts? A 24 year old MVP candidate. I’d think it would be on the level of biggest trade ever. So I can see versions where we could be a better team by doing that path. We could find options to man the QB spot…which is still hard. His leadership and intangibles can’t really be replaced though. I just don’t underestimate the effect his personality and work ethic have on the whole organization. Really believe that’s his biggest asset he brings to the table. He’s even keel offsetting Siri’s arguably too emotional personality. He has the respect of everybody. Noticed that year one. Even across the league you always heard how everybody on the league talked about him. He creates a very serious and dedicated work environment. Just makes everybody around him better.  How do you replace that?

27 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Well he was 5th in voting,just missing,because alot of times they want to see a completed season in bowl games. Stroud really has respect for him also,but he could not finish what he started,so it was understandable he didn't get in. I'm sure he is disappointed. Someone will get a nice QB.His style would fit the Ravens and Jackson is showing signs of being injured alot now. he could sit behind Jackson a year. His style would also fit AZ

He turned that disappointing label into success. So that’s a win for his legacy. Also should earn him a nice chunk of change getting drafted. Like I’ve said…I don’t see him doing well in the pros. So I don’t see his style fitting pretty much anywhere. Think he hit his peak football achievement.

30 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

If Sanders won't sign what choice do you have? I stated "along with another FA RB". I would be fine with Hunt,Sermon and Gains if it came to that even if Scott won't sign either

Scott is a no brainer. He’s cheap. Don’t see him getting huge interest anywhere else. He’ll be back. Seems fairly easy call there. But I’d be very unhappy if we downgrade our RB room. I want to go the other way. I think it’s a fairly easy place to look to upgrade and improve. I’d consider Sanders and maybe like a third roundish pick. Just can see us really utilizing a two  back monster backfield. Easy to see that working. Just can go with the hot hand every week. Don’t have the dropoff when your one starter comes out the game. Helps keep each players carries to a reasonable level to optimize keeping them fresh. Also critically gives you a second guy so losing your starter isn’t nearly as crippling. Our Oline can run block. So the investment in our backfield would pay off. Don’t even need to think much about questioning the virtues.

37 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yes, a vet option is clearly on the table. I don’t like Hunt. He’s a thug punk. Not saying no way….but doesn’t seem like a fit for our environment. Think we have enough strong character guys to be able to keep a questionable player or two in check though.

33 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I feel Hurts would rather sign after this year than remain on a final year rook pay deal. Basically that would be a years income difference lost. He could hold out,lose that money difference,but it would be hard to regain that loss with another teams deal. The new team would have to pay 5 years pay in 4 years(on a 4 year contract) to make that up and IDK anyone who would do that

I don’t agree here. Think financially it clearly pays more for Hurts to hold off. 

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Scott is a no brainer. He’s cheap. Don’t see him getting huge interest anywhere else. He’ll be back. Seems fairly easy call there. But I’d be very unhappy if we downgrade our RB room. I want to go the other way. I think it’s a fairly easy place to look to upgrade and improve. I’d consider Sanders and maybe like a third roundish pick. Just can see us really utilizing a two  back monster backfield. Easy to see that working. Just can go with the hot hand every week. Don’t have the dropoff when your one starter comes out the game. Helps keep each players carries to a reasonable level to optimize keeping them fresh. Also critically gives you a second guy so losing your starter isn’t nearly as crippling. Our Oline can run block. So the investment in our backfield would pay off. Don’t even need to think much about questioning the virtues.

Sermon was a 3rd round pick why would you waste another 3rd round pick? Especially when we only have 4 decent ones? Not a priority

10 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t agree here. Think financially it clearly pays more for Hurts to hold off. 

Like to see the math there

Basically he makes 1.55 mil a year now. If you hold out you make 1.55 mil next year(last year of rook contract). You sign for 45.5 mi, a year now. That is a 40 million dollar difference.. So you wait,then go to another team. That would require the new team to pay him 11.4 million a year MORE to make that up  or a contract that pays 56 million a year to make the same money. Plus you'd be going to a team with probably less assets

23 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Yes, a vet option is clearly on the table. I don’t like Hunt. He’s a thug punk. Not saying no way….but doesn’t seem like a fit for our environment. Think we have enough strong character guys to be able to keep a questionable player or two in check though.

Just an example,you don'rt need to take it literally. No need to make these decisions right now

36 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

No one expected Hurts to make a third-year jump of this magnitude. Not a single soul.

The Eagles signal-caller was nothing more than a mediocre quarterback last season in his first full year as the starter. Hurts ranked in the bottom half of the league in passing yards per game (209.6) and completion percentage (61.8%). His rushing stats were outstanding, but critics believed he didn’t have the arm strength, accuracy, or decision-making skills to become an above-average passer in the NFL.       This is why I wasn't "gung ho" and wanted to see more

https://www.sportscasting.com/jalen-hurts-contract-711-nfl-players-higher-salary-eagles-qb/  Here is the full article from 3 days ago

Seems like some point to AJ carrying Hurts to his improvement and making him legit. Having good players on offense clearly has helped. But when several fans point to this…then you have to acknowledge my point about last season: his WR room was below average. That hurt him. Relying on Reagor as a starter versus AJ is just a clear and obvious difference. So give credit to AJ. But when you see that you have to acknowledge last years deficit. I’m as high on Quez I think as most anyone. But he’s been a more developmental player. Smitty looks good. But gotta realize he wasn’t a legit number one his rookie season. So I see it going both ways. Last year WR room really took down Hurts passing stats. This years WR room is boosting it. Now not deflecting all blame from Hurts. Also clearly see his own growth from last season. But feel it’s gotta be acknowledged that Hurts passing stats aren’t all about him. Not nearly good enough WR room last year. What QB will have stellar numbers with Reagor starting? Nobody. ARod MVP with Adams. Not even in the conversation without him. But like the point I was making earlier. Judging how good a guy is with crappy teammates is fairly irrelevant. Can show character and competitiveness. The goal is can you succeed with good teammates. Who cares if you can carry a bad team to 5 wins? Does nothing for me. Can you win big games on a good team is all that matters?

40 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No question you tag. Tag and trade if you are real convinced a contract is unreachable. But not just letting an asset like that go for free. I think plenty of teams would jump at bidding for his services. Pay him crazy money while also surrendering many picks. As much as I’ve believed in him I still consider all options. Just feel it’s the only way to make educated decisions. I consider everybody tradeable. How much draft ammo would be get in return for Hurts? A 24 year old MVP candidate. I’d think it would be on the level of biggest trade ever. So I can see versions where we could be a better team by doing that path. We could find options to man the QB spot…which is still hard. His leadership and intangibles can’t really be replaced though. I just don’t underestimate the effect his personality and work ethic have on the whole organization. Really believe that’s his biggest asset he brings to the table. He’s even keel offsetting Siri’s arguably too emotional personality. He has the respect of everybody. Noticed that year one. Even across the league you always heard how everybody on the league talked about him. He creates a very serious and dedicated work environment. Just makes everybody around him better.  How do you replace that?

Then you get to start over with a rook drafted QB(see Wentz) or another FA you have to pay and start all over again. No point in a rebuild if you have to start over again. I won't tag him,that gives him the leverage. Make the offer,stay or go and we have a year to figure it out if you're leaving

38 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Anyway,I apologize for going off also FWIW

It’s worth so much. Really shows strong character on your part. You’re a good guy I never doubted. But I have thick skin. I can handle most stuff. I’m obviously a pretty confident person. 

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That hurt him.

Not really alot because he was run and gun last year.He only emerged as a passer THIS year(which was nice to see and a step I wanted to see)

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Judging how good a guy is with crappy teammates is fairly irrelevant

That's where you get the steals.If you can locate those guys and pry them away. Would you give up a 3rd pick for Pitts?(Of course Atl would have to agree) but based on stats he's not even worth that because he is on a crap team,so I disagree

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

You got Sermon for 3 more years(or 2?) at 1.5 mil a year? He was a 3rd round pick and we got him off waivers.Now you have more options at RB. even if he is only a bit player,that's damn cheap 

43 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think it’s a fairly easy place to look to upgrade and improve.

IDK define "improve" Spending more money doesn't mean you improved. That would be true if you relied on your RB as a 3 down workhorse,but that is not how we play. We shouldn't overpay at this position. I would rather save the loot for a position we really are in need of. Besides I don't wish to have a "stud" because once you base your offense on him when he goes down you are DONE. I would rather have plug and play at RB.it's more consistent

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Just an example,you don'rt need to take it literally. No need to make these decisions right now

Exactly. I left the vet option out. So you were right to point that out. Everything on the table. It’s a big picture decision also. So spending big at S, or whatever position, can effect how you go about RBs. Cap, signed roster, available vets(trade or FA and draft options). But gotta have some idea of a master plan of coming up with the most complete team. Always like to get bargains. But when thinking big picture…overpaying a guy is an option. Sounds kind of dumb. Obviously not ideal. But gotta get it all done somehow. Decide to spend big money and draft picks elsewhere still gotta complete the puzzle. That’s arguably the hardest part of being GM. All of them can make a good pick or signing. But completing the puzzle is crazy difficult. This year Rosie added Suh and Joseph to complete it hopefully. But the late moves of Bradbury falling in his lap was huge. Then Ceedy Deuce becoming available for trade was just a complete gift. I mean what was the other option after CGJ? S room had to be addressed. Rosie was trading for some S. Be interesting if we found out who the backup plan was. We got plenty of knowledge about the vet WR attempts. How incredibly lucky was Rosie AJ became an option? Seemed like we had failed at all other options. Would we have traded up for WR instead of Davis? Picked Burks like Titans decided? Or just fell back on Watson or Pickens or one of those later options? Rosie closed the deals. But things really worked out and fell into his lap. He was making the Ridley trade. If he didn’t get suspended how much less would our WR room be? Kirk I believe was the FA target. If Jags don’t back up the Brinks truck for him we would have gone that route. Tons of luck really worked in Rosie favor. Or all our favor. Can’t say Rosie master plan involved CGJ, AJ and Bradbury. He did close the deals though…once they fell in his lap.

20 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Who cares if you can carry a bad team to 5 wins? Does nothing for me. Can you win big games on a good team is all that matters?

That's what we're waiting to see from Hurts. That does not make us haters

Those three that weren’t a part of the plan are extremely significant to the quality of this team.

Archived