Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Exactly. I left the vet option out. So you were right to point that out. Everything on the table. It’s a big picture decision also. So spending big at S, or whatever position, can effect how you go about RBs. Cap, signed roster, available vets(trade or FA and draft options). But gotta have some idea of a master plan of coming up with the most complete team. Always like to get bargains. But when thinking big picture…overpaying a guy is an option. Sounds kind of dumb. Obviously not ideal. But gotta get it all done somehow. Decide to spend big money and draft picks elsewhere still gotta complete the puzzle. That’s arguably the hardest part of being GM. All of them can make a good pick or signing. But completing the puzzle is crazy difficult. This year Rosie added Suh and Joseph to complete it hopefully. But the late moves of Bradbury falling in his lap was huge. Then Ceedy Deuce becoming available for trade was just a complete gift. I mean what was the other option after CGJ? S room had to be addressed. Rosie was trading for some S. Be interesting if we found out who the backup plan was. We got plenty of knowledge about the vet WR attempts. How incredibly lucky was Rosie AJ became an option? Seemed like we had failed at all other options. Would we have traded up for WR instead of Davis? Picked Burks like Titans decided? Or just fell back on Watson or Pickens or one of those later options? Rosie closed the deals. But things really worked out and fell into his lap. He was making the Ridley trade. If he didn’t get suspended how much less would our WR room be? Kirk I believe was the FA target. If Jags don’t back up the Brinks truck for him we would have gone that route. Tons of luck really worked in Rosie favor. Or all our favor. Can’t say Rosie master plan involved CGJ, AJ and Bradbury. He did close the deals though…once they fell in his lap.

I keep saying I would like to see all 3 DB's re-signed. They are 31,29 and 24. That would free up alot of issues we always have there. Epps and Blank are keepers,but this is the first time I can recall we've had the trifecta in the secondary. I would love to keep that intact. I would rather spend there than at RB

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

That's what we're waiting to see from Hurts. That does not make us haters

I noticed some details that he has shown pretty much all along. Hes completely dedicated. Hard worker. Has the respect of the whole league. Confident. Extremely competitive(which on a bad team leads to bad stats…down 2 TDs in the fourth you just have to take bigger risks to try and win). That’s clearly his goal:winning. He doesn’t care how….but refuses to accept defeat. He’d rather throw three picks and hurt his stats trying to win than just protecting his numbers. He’s been in huge games already. So don’t see any game being too big for him. SB a whole other level than any other game. So can only judge that by doing it there. But noticed how clutch he is. I, and more importantly, the team believes he’ll get it done. Down a score with two minutes to go….our team expects to win it. Can’t win them all and always deliver. But clearly can see he doesn’t freeze and choke. He’s a guy that steps up. Even in that loss to the Giants. He had a bad game. But being able to lift himself up on a bad day and deliver the winning drive showed me so much. Reagor dropping both game winning  TDs doesn’t take away from Hurts performance. He’s a winner…showed even in that loss.

42 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I keep saying I would like to see all 3 DB's re-signed. They are 31,29 and 24. That would free up alot of issues we always have there. Epps and Blank are keepers,but this is the first time I can recall we've had the trifecta in the secondary. I would love to keep that intact. I would rather spend there than at RB

Bradbury just had an interview where he acknowledged he’s expecting to get paid big time after gambling on himself on the one year deal with us. Even broke it down about how he likes it here and all but we have to crank out too much money. Ceedy Deuce was traded because he’s expecting to break the bank. He’s going to. Don’t think we can afford either of those guys. No matter how much any member believes only the cowboys let good players leave. We are letting good players leave this offseason exactly like that certain poster believes we just don’t do. Not enough money to even fit in the Rosie Magic contracts. He’s already spent tons of future money. 

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

That's where you get the steals.If you can locate those guys and pry them away. Would you give up a 3rd pick for Pitts?(Of course Atl would have to agree) but based on stats he's not even worth that because he is on a crap team,so I disagree

Talking about different things here. I see your point. But not what I was talking about. 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Bradbury just had an interview where he acknowledged he’s expecting to get paid big time after gambling on himself on the one year deal with us. Even broke it down about how he likes it here and all but we have to crank out too much money. Ceedy Deuce was traded because he’s expecting to break the bank. He’s going to. Don’t think we can afford either of those guys. No matter how much any member believes only the cowboys let good players leave. We are letting good players leave this offseason exactly like that certain poster believes we just don’t do. Not enough money to even fit in the Rosie Magic contracts. He’s already spent tons of future money. 

How do we know what they want already? What if we win the SB. Wouldn't they like to have another ring? I have no clue this early if we can afford them or not. lets wait until this season ends. Right now my concern is using the guys we HAVE to lift the Lombardi. Save the what ifs until we have time. It's all conjecture before that. Everyone wants to "break the bank" alot of that is fluff. Win the SB,put the contract down in front of them and see what happens. I'm going to enjoy watching the college bowl games and the rest of the NFL season and probably scan the USFL for prospects and let the pros worry about the signings,who to keep and what we'll pay. I'm trying to get through the season first

Bradbury and CGJ have said it. Pretty rare actually. Most act like it isn’t all about the money. 

Talking about different things here. I see your point. But not what I was talking about. 

You're telling me you can't judge good players on bad teams.yes you CAN, thats what we pay people to DO. You can also do the opposite,spot bad players on good teams that are reigning in progress like Reagor. We gave him chances to succeed,but I knew he was a 1 trick pony and Howie went for the shiny object he was desperate to get without looking at anything else. Now he has(apparently) learned and now understand more all the factors that go into an NFL caliber WR-good for him. Now lets get him into DB's since he has TE and now WR pretty much down. Remember this journey startd with the MS 2 pick and we were embarrassed and Howies ego would not allow that again. SO he did the work went with scouts to see what they are looking for and what they would present to him if he wasn't there. Now he trusts them and can move on the TE and he mastered that fairly fast. WR didn;t take too long. He got lucky with Quez and screwed up with Reagor. These upper echelon officers do NOT like to look bad in front of their peers. He was with MS2,but since then? Much better at picking linemen. Always been great at finding TE's and after the Alshon Djax debacle,he cleaned that up to Smith solid great pick. AJ a superb steal,Quez in year 3 Alll 3 together make a formidable corps. RB we really have had no issues with over the years,so they got that right. Howie then brought in the trifecta to show him why we needed better players there and it certainly made a difference. He is picking off positions 1 at a time and learning what is required. Linemen knowledge-check RB knowledge-check TE knowledge check,now WR knowledge check. Next stop DB's., then LB's. After that is done he can pretty much pick any positions and feel good about the picks he is making. The way you will know if he knows is when he starts taking these guys earl;y because he hasn't had the confidence to do it before. So it;s just a matter of time before we hear we took a S,CB or LB in round 1. It will come when he can feel good about the pick he is making. Until then you will see him shy away from them. I'm looking at our last round 1 pick and thinking this is a great place for Howie to take a risk,break the jynx and having the confidence to take a DB with our 2nd pick in round 1. Maybe it takes another year,but it's coming

21 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Bradbury and CGJ have said it. Pretty rare actually. Most act like it isn’t all about the money. 

IDK lets see if a ring changes their mind. Those tend to draw you back in. A) We can probably give you another ring if you stay vs B) Head off for a less than stellar team,make a few more bucks,but no ring. Some will chooe A,some B and you go from there

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Curious, what could happen for you not to sign Hurts as the Franchise guy this offseason? You know from the team’s point of view. 

Nothing.  For 2 reasons.

1.  I believe that the contract will be written in a way that the team will have an out in a couple of years if they decide to move on.

2.  The kid earned his shot for those years.  

On top of that... I would personally like to address other issues on the roster,mostly the age and depth on the lines.

So the only thing that would prevent me from doing THIS OFFSEASON ( when it's much cheaper than waiting)  would be serious injury.    The kid could completely choke in the playoffs at this point, I still feel he gets the deal.  The organization would have to do a complete 180 at this point, and would be hard to justify that simply with one bad performance.  

So if you need to see players leave choose this 1)You can keep the secondary intact and pay them 2) you can pay a RB and maybe 1 of them. So what would you do?

Nice article on Gainwell maybe proving my thoughts on him wrong. Interesting how he seemed to pick up production from the TE going down to injury. I’m not ready to completely back the kid. But he has shown me some things to open my eyes of possibly underestimating him.

He is a rotational guy in the committee... and cheap.   Doesn't have to be all world.  They aren't trying to make him " the guy"  .   You just get all defensive about Sanders, and this is why you get all flustered about things.   You still need two other guys mixed in next year to have that solid committee.  

Really, I would love to see a power type short yardage runner in the mix that can pass protect.   It's the one piece I feel missing in this offense that would compliment a running QB like Hurts. 

Because of our loss to Wash dallas owns the tiebreaker if they beat us and pick up that other game their behind. So I’m just not on the train of thought we got everything locked up. Two losses and we could be a wild card playing on the road all playoffs. How disappointing and crazy that outcome would be. All momentum would be sunk. Just way to possible also. Number one seed dominating like we have….to fall to wild card at the end.

So... Dallas going 5-0 the rest of the way?   You know that needs to happen on top of us losing to NY, Chicago or the Saints. 

Dude... you must be a joy to live with always worrying.  No way to live life...  with this fear of disaster. 

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t agree here. Think financially it clearly pays more for Hurts to hold off. 

Disagree  ... time value of money.  The tag isn't so much great money as it is the entire amount counts as a cap hit.  

Take the huge signing bonus now...if you believe in yourself..  the way the Eagles do contracts, he would get more bonus money in 2 or 3 years anyway.  

I know you hate " dead money" for the team... but a huge part of why everyone does it that way is because it puts up front money in the players pocket with the bonus.  For those who actually live up to the contract,  the teams want to redo the deal halfway through to create more cap space,  by doing that the player gets more money in his pocket up front again. 

There is no way he makes more in total if he plays on peanuts next year and 30 some million in 2024.  The goal is to put more money in your pocket not to have more showing on paper or vs the cap.

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seems like some point to AJ carrying Hurts to his improvement and making him legit. Having good players on offense clearly has helped. But when several fans point to this…then you have to acknowledge my point about last season: his WR room was below average. That hurt him. Relying on Reagor as a starter versus AJ is just a clear and obvious difference. So give credit to AJ. But when you see that you have to acknowledge last years deficit. I’m as high on Quez I think as most anyone. But he’s been a more developmental player. Smitty looks good. But gotta realize he wasn’t a legit number one his rookie season. So I see it going both ways. Last year WR room really took down Hurts passing stats. This years WR room is boosting it. Now not deflecting all blame from Hurts. Also clearly see his own growth from last season. But feel it’s gotta be acknowledged that Hurts passing stats aren’t all about him. Not nearly good enough WR room last year. What QB will have stellar numbers with Reagor starting? Nobody. ARod MVP with Adams. Not even in the conversation without him. But like the point I was making earlier. Judging how good a guy is with crappy teammates is fairly irrelevant. Can show character and competitiveness. The goal is can you succeed with good teammates. Who cares if you can carry a bad team to 5 wins? Does nothing for me. Can you win big games on a good team is all that matters?

This is another reason it is smart for Hurts to sign after this year while everything was working in his favor. 

Let's say AJ gets injured next year and his numbers go way down as a result.  

The schedule was perfect for a " contract year"  AFC South, NFC North, Saints, AZ...  who knows if Kelce retires and how the OL will gel next year?

So many things can go wrong outside of his control.  Playing NFC West and AFC East next year... probably a 1st place schedule,  which would mean at KC too. 

So many reasons to take the money,  not to mention the obvious injury risk.

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

So if you need to see players leave choose this 1)You can keep the secondary intact and pay them 2) you can pay a RB and maybe 1 of them. So what would you do?

No scenario do I pay the RB. But I don't think Bradberry stays either 

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

No scenario do I pay the RB. But I don't think Bradberry stays either 

IDK SB rings make you want another one LOL

16 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I believe we clinch a playoff spot with a win this week(or some other variables). A win this week will make it very tough to take the division from us

Not what my understanding is. A loss to the Giants in either game and losing to the cowboys gives the cowboys the tiebreaker. Cowboys would have to win out…so tough is actually still applicable. But we could lose one other game and give the cowboys a shot at finishing with just one more loss this season for them to win the division. We really don’t have the division wrapped all up in the bag like you’d think we should. Cowboys only two games back while still facing us head to head awaiting. They own the tiebreaker in most situations really keeping things still very much in doubt.

Not what my understanding is. A loss to the Giants in either game and losing to the cowboys gives the cowboys the tiebreaker. Cowboys would have to win out…so tough is actually still applicable. But we could lose one other game and give the cowboys a shot at finishing with just one more loss this season for them to win the division. We really don’t have the division wrapped all up in the bag like you’d think we should. Cowboys only two games back while still facing us head to head awaiting. They own the tiebreaker in most situations really keeping things still very much in doubt.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/eagles-news-nfl-playoff-picture-clinching-scenarios-vikings-chiefs/  Wrong again lol.This doesn't secure the division title it secures a playoff berth which is what I stated

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDK SB rings make you want another one LOL

He wants to get paid.  This is probably his last shot at a big long term deal.   

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

He wants to get paid.  This is probably his last shot at a big long term deal.   

So maybe that is here? Who knows. I sure don't. Noone does until the season is over and planning begins

5 game left... 2 game lead.   You take that every year.   Boy our fan base really tries to find a negative about everything.   You lose before Dallas.. then it makes you focus more on that win vs them.    You lose at Dallas first, then you focus when you play the powerhouse Saints and Giants.   The fans will be out looking to make a great home field advantage.  

And yeah... Dallas has to win all 5.  Let's not act like they are the 85 Bears.

So CJG officially changed his name to Ceedee Duce. So why is he not listed as such(his jersey doesn't say that either) Seems pointless

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

So maybe that is here? Who knows. I sure don't. Noone does until the season is over and planning begins

We obviously don't know anything fir sure GB..  but common sense here.   We have the younger guys to take care of any they won't cost as much.   Could he sign here, sure... should we act like 7 year olds waiting for Santa on this...no. It's pretty clear the odds are slim.   Yes slim is better than zero...but still.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

We obviously don't know anything fir sure GB..  but common sense here.   We have the younger guys to take care of any they won't cost as much.   Could he sign here, sure... should we act like 7 year olds waiting for Santa on this...no. It's pretty clear the odds are slim.   Yes slim is better than zero...but still.

In my defense let's face the fact Howie SUCKS at DB drafting(or has). With only 4 picks(at this time) and understanding Howie,would it not make sense to lock in the S at age 24 for long term and deal with other spots? It's not like he is 32 right now. Thats a spot you can check the box off on(plus BU's). Why would he not do it if it was feasible?

Although it's hard to find good CB's I believe it's even harder to find a top notch S,so I would put my best offer on the table and try. GoIng deep in the playoffs would be another reason to stay. May not happen,but Id' sure try my best. I understand he was traded and had no choice,but you also know players refuse to play at places they don't want to play at. So IDK. He seems to enjoy playing here and "auditioning". A nice deep run into the playoffs would make him think about staying on I would think 

Archived