Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

Let’s say Kelce plays two more seasons. Would feel like really kind of wasted a luxury pick on Jurgens then. Maybe he can play G. But could have just taken a S type position. Those guys can be worked in slow or fast. All kinds of ways to get a top rookie feet wet at a position like that.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some positions you can find easier ways to get a rookie involved more….even if he doesn’t come out the gates All Pro.

25 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Think it works both ways. But I’m mostly agreeing with you on this. But we’ve had big time rushing success from the 11 personnel several different seasons. D has to go small so certain teams we really gut them on the ground with this matchup.

Again... let's not debate philosophy here.   It's obvious EVERYTHING works both ways.  There are coverage sacks...there is less coverage if a team stacks the box...etc.

But let's look at the success rate here and the evolution of the game.

Who would you consider the last RB to really impact his team in winning a SB to where he couldn't have easily been replaced by another adequate RB?  Marshawn,  Terrell Davis??  Who else you got after watching these past couple of decades with the top RBs not winning much?    I have the one answer...Marshall Faulk...another all round RB who was a stud receiver. 

Look at your best defensive teams that won.. you have the No Fly Zone and Legion of Boom as probably your best DB groups..but they had the stud pass rushers too.   Who were the DBs on the Steelers, the Giants...our Eagles.. etc. You can win with a solid group back there.  But that DL being elite gives you much better chance.  

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Not top slot guys, easy to find tons of mediocre ones and by all accounts Njigba is on par with JJ. You going to turn down "JJ" twice? So he should be in the conversation at 10

Feeling you just got to BPA ….except RB at ten

24 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The upside of bringing through several different types of pass catchers is learning about your franchise guy.

The bigger upside is watching him win.

21 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Took trade assets to acquire the top QB pick. So that obviously limits your abilities. Backloading contracts and carrying so mug dead money made it extremely challenging to add everything. Prioritize the lines. Can’t prioritize the lines and skill positions when you trade away picks and are strapped for cash. 

Didn't prioritize like they did now.  I like what they are doing now.  Finish the puzzle with another stud WR or get the stud lineman.

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I'm good with 2 stud linemen.   My main point was the stud slot WR will have more impact than any RB.  

Don’t think so. A stud RB would come in and rock and roll. Immediately be the guy. A stud slot? Fourth option? QB1 isn’t focused on the middle of the field as much. He really had to learn to look at the TE. Why we needed serious outside WR weapons also. He loves safer sideline throws. Maybe a bit easier for him with his less than pro type height.

16 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not so sure. I’m really hoping he learned a lesson here this last season. Finally lucked into some quality DBs and look at what happened. I don’t even think Gannon utilized nearly  as well as they could have been.

I hope he learned a lesson too....which is Don't get cocky due to success.  Stick with what works and don't outsmart yourself.   

I’m not saying I can’t see the value of another WR or TE that actually catches. But no way he’d have the effect a stud RB would. Not even close.

6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

We went to the Superbowl...how much did our draft picks contribute.  To me.. very poor business thinking...if you are looking at the rookies filling needs year 1.   4 picks ..etc.  forget that.  

The picks you should make are to set yourself up long term.   The lines need to be restocked with youth, especially the DL... and that 4th receiving weapon would be long term for the offense.  

The S, LB and whatever else..you can find the one year rentals.  Then use the 12 picks next year...etc.  

Never go into a draft...this is my one year need, these are my picks, and make a decision on that.  You end up trading your picks to the Eagles like the Saints did that way.  

Hey we filled a need with pick 94... can't think that way.  

Can’t agree. You gotta look long term. But you gotta fill positions if need. Chiefs for example: they gotta make those early picks fit needs and be successful. That’s when the GM job ramps up the difficulty a bit more. Much easier to just choose BPA. But gotta fill out a roster. That goes short term and long term.

18 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m with you philosophically. But have to admit in the real world FL is hitting on a real issue. We all saw how AJ will pout if he isn’t dominating. Guys need there’s. Smitty and AJ it worked out nicely. Both got enough. Both I’m sure would love more…but fit just enough to fight back ego and business.

145 targets for AJ... 134 for Smith.   69 for Goedert in 12 games. 

The 4th option being better means that the Eagles in theory should be able to keep the ball more and have even more opportunities for targets.  

We also know this past season had weak opposition.   Stop with the records,  the NFL sucked this year, there is no way anyone thinks Dallas, NY, Detroit, Jax and Minnesota would have had their records in a better NFL.  Our schedule next year is harder ... the pass attempts should be higher without the huge leads.   Plenty of targets.  For everyone. 

21 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You have to to complete the Championship Puzzle. Rebuilding time..just take the best talents. But once you’ve built a team….then you actually need to finish it and sustain it.

Is the team built now where you think drafting a CB now will finish the puzzle?

11 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Don’t think so. A stud RB would come in and rock and roll. Immediately be the guy. A stud slot? Fourth option? QB1 isn’t focused on the middle of the field as much. He really had to learn to look at the TE. Why we needed serious outside WR weapons also. He loves safer sideline throws. Maybe a bit easier for him with his less than pro type height.

Yes... not for fantasy purposes....for the impact on the team putting up points.

Right...I'm looking Right at these spots.  Not thinking we filled a need at S or LB with pick 94.   Will be great if it turns out that way..but more importantly looking to restock the main positions with the early picks.

Nice thing at LB and S you can find ways to rotate a guy in. Give him a package or two to start that he should accel in.

12 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

See my issue... you don't seem to think the players around Hurts had an impact on his play?  " he doesn't check down, he doesn't look to the middle of the field "etc.   You don't think better options than Sanders and Quez would change that?    It absolutely does as well as the game plans for both teams.  That's how sports works... Jimmy's and Joe's more important than Xs and Os.

13 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not saying I can’t see the value of another WR or TE that actually catches. But no way he’d have the effect a stud RB would. Not even close.

Again....for the team the WR would.... for you and your Miles Sanders along for the ride fantasy stats....the RB would absolutely have better stats if he started.  Points and wins, I'll take the WR.

2700 yards and the top rushing offense with less yardage from Sanders and  Hurts in 2021.  Much better offense in 2022.   See the trend here.   

You give Hurts another option that can get open in a hurry... lengthens his career.  The less he has to run or fake running... and the faster he has WRs open...the less he gets hit. 

5 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Njigba can start now,like Smith did,like JJ did,like others did. WR's are much more refined and "NFL ready" than ever before. If he gives Hurts another weapon(moreso than Quez) then I am all for it because with the defensive player losses we will need to increase the PPG scored. Gains should be better but doubt he replaces Sanders output this year. Penny will help in that area if he can stay on the field. Also expecting Calcaterra to step up into the solid 2 TE spot and contribute

I’m not against the WR. But really limit us if we only stick with this RB room. Had Sanders kicking butt all season. Huge difference between him and the next guys. Not like he is Walter PAyton or anything. Saw how in two very crucial games how not having that real RB limited that feature. Would have really helped to run the ball and control the clock and game more. Sanders being injured really cost us so much. The saints game is what it is. But the SB we needed that stud Rb. Got not much. Seems likely Niners going to be in the way again. Not a Gainwell level working on them.

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Can’t agree. You gotta look long term. But you gotta fill positions if need. Chiefs for example: they gotta make those early picks fit needs and be successful. That’s when the GM job ramps up the difficulty a bit more. Much easier to just choose BPA. But gotta fill out a roster. That goes short term and long term.

Sky Moore was a major factor in the Chiefs win?

GB... correct these picks helped us...AFTER THEIR ROOKIE YEAR.

My point...  this idea " we have 4 picks to get it done or whatever"   not the way to loon at anything.   You draft the guys... then next year you draft again etc.   Don't need the 4 picks from this year to solve the needs Right away.

The needs may change next year or whenever.   We know there are top rated guys round 1.  I'm just saying the linemen and the slot WR are going to have the bigger impact if they are hits.   

You have to consider this test and the next few seasons. Top picks you hope work out long term. So you are thinking somewhat on the future. Foreseeing the changes that are coming. I don’t know…like when you have two pending FA starting S or less.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not against the WR. But really limit us if we only stick with this RB room. Had Sanders kicking butt all season. Huge difference between him and the next guys. Not like he is Walter PAyton or anything. Saw how in two very crucial games how not having that real RB limited that feature. Would have really helped to run the ball and control the clock and game more. Sanders being injured really cost us so much. The saints game is what it is. But the SB we needed that stud Rb. Got not much. Seems likely Niners going to be in the way again. Not a Gainwell level working on them.

Not at all..the RBs are fine.  How would it limit us?  We just got rid of a guy who came off the field in every key situation?  He specializes in nothing.   He gets carries on early downs.  Where we would lose is if we lost a RB who you can't replace short yardage, goal line or passing downs.   We still have that.

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Yes...rotation is great...but if we draft an OT first and he doesn't play because Lane and Mailata stay healthy.. I'm ok with that.  Still could be best long term pick.  DL we expect to get some snaps for sure.  If it's the stud WR I would expect him to start for sure.  

I'm just not thinking pick 94 fills an immediate need.  It's not why I would select players, more so for what I think they can develop into after 2023.

Many times you are getting a ST guy there. But think you can also find niche players. A guy maybe not so all around… but brings a special element at least. If we wait for RB that 94th pick will be a starter.

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The superbowl we needed the Quez catch... another weapon so 3rd and 6 we could pass instead of having our QB fumble.....and another weapon so 3rd down we don't throw incomplete before the big punt return.   

You overvalued what you think a RB can do.  They get stats...they just don't become the difference makers in wins or championships.  The athletes are too good in the NFL for a runner to be a difference maker over another quality RB.   

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

32 passes... very easy to reach.    And I'm just using an example.  Should be easy to get everyone targets.

Sure usually see three WR a TE and RB all carry strong receiving stats each game. That’s just average NFL O stuff there.

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

That's what I said,but we are a run based offense and it would take a shift to accomplish that. 8 targets per receiver per game is not something we normally do

You both kind of just taking blind stats. No regard for opponent. Matchups in this league are key every week. Things just don’t work out like you guys kind of dreaming.

Archived