Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

59 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Best move for the offense... keep the box light.   Also less runs for Hurts with another weapon that gets open.  

Anyone who likes our QB and wants him to succeed would absolutely want to get that 4th option.  

Especially seeing how little impact RBs have...   " but No Mas CMC in SF"  yes on their passing game as a receiving option.  SF has run the ball effectively with about 12 different RBs the last 5 years.    CMC in Carolina.  How did the Panthers do after the trade?

Absolutely the best one move for impact on offense is getting another elite receiving weapon.  Good luck covering all 4.  Good luck with 6 in the box.   Good luck stopping us from getting 10 yards on 3 plays and controlling the clock. Good luck covering all those guys in short yardage and goal line. 

Yes a RB can catch passes also. Why exclude that thought? Seems like you putting everything on Hurts to carry the team even more. Every QBs best friend is a strong rushing attack.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

29?  Too old for one year prove it?

You need to look a little closer at details. 30 year old for playing football this season. He’d need to sign super cheap. Couldn’t even offer CGJ 8 mil a season.

56 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Again... let's not debate philosophy here.   It's obvious EVERYTHING works both ways.  There are coverage sacks...there is less coverage if a team stacks the box...etc.

But let's look at the success rate here and the evolution of the game.

Who would you consider the last RB to really impact his team in winning a SB to where he couldn't have easily been replaced by another adequate RB?  Marshawn,  Terrell Davis??  Who else you got after watching these past couple of decades with the top RBs not winning much?    I have the one answer...Marshall Faulk...another all round RB who was a stud receiver. 

Look at your best defensive teams that won.. you have the No Fly Zone and Legion of Boom as probably your best DB groups..but they had the stud pass rushers too.   Who were the DBs on the Steelers, the Giants...our Eagles.. etc. You can win with a solid group back there.  But that DL being elite gives you much better chance.  

Brady been in most of the SB. So clearly those instances are slighted towards the answer to winning the SB is have the best player all time.

I like to zig when everybody else is zagging. You want to try and copycat what everybody else is trying to do. That’s fine. I’ve been noticing how much more finesse Defenses have become. Why I’ve been pointing out the success the Niners, Cowboys and us have by physical on the ground attack. I don’t fit a minute believe a dominating rushing team can’t win it all. In fact it would have really helped to control a QB like Mahomes more with that.

But one thing o feel confident in is that the next five SB winners won’t do it exactly the same as the past five.

The bigger upside is watching him win.

But you learn the nuisances of your main guy. If he just has one main guy from day one you don’t learn as much.

53 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I hope he learned a lesson too....which is Don't get cocky due to success.  Stick with what works and don't outsmart yourself.   

What worked was finally getting the DBs and coverage. What mainly worked was Hurts. Team wasn’t doing squat without him.

50 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

145 targets for AJ... 134 for Smith.   69 for Goedert in 12 games. 

The 4th option being better means that the Eagles in theory should be able to keep the ball more and have even more opportunities for targets.  

We also know this past season had weak opposition.   Stop with the records,  the NFL sucked this year, there is no way anyone thinks Dallas, NY, Detroit, Jax and Minnesota would have had their records in a better NFL.  Our schedule next year is harder ... the pass attempts should be higher without the huge leads.   Plenty of targets.  For everyone. 

Sure better depth pass catching improves the team. But rushing the ball dominantly is where we flipped the switch and started crushing people. Our Oline is great at mauling run blocking. 2021 Siri was pass pass pass. Didn’t work. Then Steichen. Let the Oline start punishing defenders…not just going backwards. Whole different mentality. Ground and pound successfully gives more plays first downs and control over passing.

Cowboys beat us. Skins beat us. Saints beat us. So those teams weren’t  that far off.

Is the team built now where you think drafting a CB now will finish the puzzle?

You basically start three CB. So a fourth can play in roles. But very likely will take over at some point. Both outside guys aren’t fresh young bucks.

54 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yes... not for fantasy purposes....for the impact on the team putting up points.

RB is greater impact on winning if you add him versus similar pass catcher.

See my issue... you don't seem to think the players around Hurts had an impact on his play?  " he doesn't check down, he doesn't look to the middle of the field "etc.   You don't think better options than Sanders and Quez would change that?    It absolutely does as well as the game plans for both teams.  That's how sports works... Jimmy's and Joe's more important than Xs and Os.

I said exactly Sanders was a big difference between the others. Joe’s just take up space.

Again....for the team the WR would.... for you and your Miles Sanders along for the ride fantasy stats....the RB would absolutely have better stats if he started.  Points and wins, I'll take the WR.

I’d take AJ over most RB. But I’m not just only seeing WR as the way to win. Starting RB can have a huge impact. Much more than fourth pass catcher. I’ll take both…and a side of a 1B RB

52 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

2700 yards and the top rushing offense with less yardage from Sanders and  Hurts in 2021.  Much better offense in 2022.   See the trend here.   

You give Hurts another option that can get open in a hurry... lengthens his career.  The less he has to run or fake running... and the faster he has WRs open...the less he gets hit. 

The more he drops back…the less he gets hit? That’s your theory? Really? My theory would be the more he can hand off to the stud RB the less he gets hit.

Sky Moore was a major factor in the Chiefs win?

How huge was the rookie stepping up playing fantastic for them at RB? I think it’s exactly what put them over the top.

Not at all..the RBs are fine.  How would it limit us?  We just got rid of a guy who came off the field in every key situation?  He specializes in nothing.   He gets carries on early downs.  Where we would lose is if we lost a RB who you can't replace short yardage, goal line or passing downs.   We still have that.

He was the guy that carried the ground game from the RB position. I don’t think forcing Hurts to do it even more is at all the way and direction to go. Think they should take more burden off him. If we have two quality RB dominating opponents maybe we even pull off a win without Hurts this season.

52 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Sure usually see three WR a TE and RB all carry strong receiving stats each game. That’s just average NFL O stuff there.

Do they need to carry strong stats...every game?

Not at all..the RBs are fine.  How would it limit us?  We just got rid of a guy who came off the field in every key situation?  He specializes in nothing.   He gets carries on early downs.  Where we would lose is if we lost a RB who you can't replace short yardage, goal line or passing downs.   We still have that.

What you are missing is the key downs. Your big ball park numbers fit rushing don’t matter squat on third and three. Current RB room we need to pass. Teams will be in coverage. Have a quality RB back there? Then the D is conflicted.

51 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You both kind of just taking blind stats. No regard for opponent. Matchups in this league are key every week. Things just don’t work out like you guys kind of dreaming.

Right...the matchup is exactly why I want the 4th receiving weapon.  Harder to matchup with that.  Matching up is the main reason for this.

57 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The superbowl we needed the Quez catch... another weapon so 3rd and 6 we could pass instead of having our QB fumble.....and another weapon so 3rd down we don't throw incomplete before the big punt return.   

You overvalued what you think a RB can do.  They get stats...they just don't become the difference makers in wins or championships.  The athletes are too good in the NFL for a runner to be a difference maker over another quality RB.   

Pacheco went for 76 yards and was exactly the difference maker. Sanders was injured. Plus a bit bone headed. We didn’t have any real RB. Just Gainwell. The take what the Oline gives Rb. He gets five yards on the great Oline created hole. Pacheco punishes. Somehow the last thing you’d think happened. Their RB room massively outplayed ours. Should have easily been our advantage. Huge swing that cost us.

Ridiculous you didn’t notice how their RB made the difference. We didn’t have it.

Ridiculous number two: you think dropping back passing means less impact hits for QB1 than handing off.

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Do they need to carry strong stats...every game?

That’s my point. Every game is different. This no actual football stat stuff isn’t tied to anything real.

7 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right...the matchup is exactly why I want the 4th receiving weapon.  Harder to matchup with that.  Matching up is the main reason for this.

So you don’t see a RB causing any problems for a DC?

Archived