Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

Although it is nice if our rd 1 picks can at least play in rotation immediately

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Then you get..." I'm only asking 6 more points.. is that too much to ask from this offense this year "   remember that narrative you had for like 8 months.   AJ can complain all he wants... they keep putting up 32 plus points I think he's going to be fine.

WR's are like keyboard players in rock bands,the fussiest LOL. IDC how we put up 32 ;points,just get them. With the D not as good as this years we will need to score that

33 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

GB... correct these picks helped us...AFTER THEIR ROOKIE YEAR.

My point...  this idea " we have 4 picks to get it done or whatever"   not the way to loon at anything.   You draft the guys... then next year you draft again etc.   Don't need the 4 picks from this year to solve the needs Right away.

The needs may change next year or whenever.   We know there are top rated guys round 1.  I'm just saying the linemen and the slot WR are going to have the bigger impact if they are hits.   

Right get them in place now for the payoff next year,although they can contribute some like Davis did. Now we need Davis to step up,so this year picks should be for that and next years starters

11 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Njigba can start now,like Smith did,like JJ did,like others did. WR's are much more refined and "NFL ready" than ever before. If he gives Hurts another weapon(moreso than Quez) then I am all for it because with the defensive player losses we will need to increase the PPG scored. Gains should be better but doubt he replaces Sanders output this year. Penny will help in that area if he can stay on the field. Also expecting Calcaterra to step up into the solid 2 TE spot and contribute

54 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Then you get..." I'm only asking 6 more points.. is that too much to ask from this offense this year "   remember that narrative you had for like 8 months.   AJ can complain all he wants... they keep putting up 32 plus points I think he's going to be fine.

We don't need disgruntled players. Sure you have him 3 more years,but he won't bust if he gets angry

55 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Yes...rotation is great...but if we draft an OT first and he doesn't play because Lane and Mailata stay healthy.. I'm ok with that.  Still could be best long term pick.  DL we expect to get some snaps for sure.  If it's the stud WR I would expect him to start for sure.  

I'm just not thinking pick 94 fills an immediate need.  It's not why I would select players, more so for what I think they can develop into after 2023.

54 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

WR's are like keyboard players in rock bands,the fussiest LOL. IDC how we put up 32 ;points,just get them. With the D not as good as this years we will need to score that

Get them all 6 to 8 targets...×4 that's 32 passes.... plenty of targets for everyone.   The more the offense stays on the field the more opportunity they have for targets.  The better your teammates, the less attention the defense gives you.     

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Get them all 6 to 8 targets...×4 that's 32 passes.... plenty of targets for everyone.   The more the offense stays on the field the more opportunity they have for targets.  The better your teammates, the less attention the defense gives you.     

That's what I said,but we are a run based offense and it would take a shift to accomplish that. 8 targets per receiver per game is not something we normally do

23 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

That's what I said,but we are a run based offense and it would take a shift to accomplish that. 8 targets per receiver per game is not something we normally do

32 passes... very easy to reach.    And I'm just using an example.  Should be easy to get everyone targets.

Gnats sign Crowder to a 1 year

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

If we went Njigba and Nolan Smith in round 1,I would consider that a great round 1. Both the guys on my mock have moved up. Wilson seems out of range now without a move up. Kancey or Bresee probably not there at 30 either. Van Ness is a possiblity at 30. Njigba would be a great choice,but we can't ignore him in the slot,Quez was underwhelming last year. So the question becomes,would there be enough target to go around(not forgetting Goedert either). If Quez was underwhelming because he could not get open,that is one thing. If the targets weren't there for other reasons, you'd have to think about receivers targets per game before selecting Njigba. You'd need to keep 4 receivers happy with their target shares. Can we do it??? It would require more passes per game,going away from the run some

Might have to overload towards the pass if this is the best the RB room gets. Taking a top WR and neglecting RB..:.gotta pass.

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Apparently the Titans have a disgruntled S, who,like AJ,feels unwanted Maybe work a trade with Quez and a pick next year for him?? IDK All up in the air

Too old. Can’t take on anymore senior citizens 

6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I don't really care about his blocking skills... his ability to help the receiving unit put some fear into the defense ...that's enough to help the running game.

Think it works both ways. But I’m mostly agreeing with you on this. But we’ve had big time rushing success from the 11 personnel several different seasons. D has to go small so certain teams we really gut them on the ground with this matchup.

Read my post about target share

That can always be an issue. That’s what the HC is for. Gotta get everybody buying in TEAM first.

I mean...to me, they wasted McNabb and Wentz...having them play with Freddie Mitchell and John Hightower...  you want to do right by Hurts.. put the studs around him long term. They keep growing together and it only gets better. 

You can find your one year rentals on defense.   

Really for me those are the 2 choices...finish off that stud WR group or go get some stud linemen.   Ideally you could trade back a few spots and land your target.  Two stud linemen or one stud linemen with the stud WR....that's what I want going into day 2 of the draft. 

Other thing is if we get one pick but get that 2024 1st in a trade. 

The upside of bringing through several different types of pass catchers is learning about your franchise guy.

Really learn and hone in on his strengths and weaknesses. Or maybe just preferences.

I mean...to me, they wasted McNabb and Wentz...having them play with Freddie Mitchell and John Hightower...  you want to do right by Hurts.. put the studs around him long term. They keep growing together and it only gets better. 

You can find your one year rentals on defense.   

Really for me those are the 2 choices...finish off that stud WR group or go get some stud linemen.   Ideally you could trade back a few spots and land your target.  Two stud linemen or one stud linemen with the stud WR....that's what I want going into day 2 of the draft. 

Other thing is if we get one pick but get that 2024 1st in a trade. 

Took trade assets to acquire the top QB pick. So that obviously limits your abilities. Backloading contracts and carrying so mug dead money made it extremely challenging to add everything. Prioritize the lines. Can’t prioritize the lines and skill positions when you trade away picks and are strapped for cash. 

Understand your want for another 1 next year. Would require the young guys to step up. We managed to keep 2/3 DB's,so that was nice. But only 4 picks this time. IDK if it's wise to lose a pick nor trade back. I think we need to get the guys we want this time around. Could argue either scenario. Great line draft. IDk that I would trade that 30 pick back much. You have a terrific argument for taking Njigba. Van Ness or Nolan Smith at 30 would be a nice round 1

I consider Maddox a key starter. Just calling it 3/5

6 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Just chiming in, but we all know HR will go lines w/ both picks in the 1st as we keep 10. Most of out bus the past few yrs can start on most teams. Starting WR's can be had every yr. 

I’m not so sure. I’m really hoping he learned a lesson here this last season. Finally lucked into some quality DBs and look at what happened. I don’t even think Gannon utilized nearly  as well as they could have been.

20 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Might have to overload towards the pass if this is the best the RB room gets. Taking a top WR and neglecting RB..:.gotta pass.

Best move for the offense... keep the box light.   Also less runs for Hurts with another weapon that gets open.  

Anyone who likes our QB and wants him to succeed would absolutely want to get that 4th option.  

Especially seeing how little impact RBs have...   " but No Mas CMC in SF"  yes on their passing game as a receiving option.  SF has run the ball effectively with about 12 different RBs the last 5 years.    CMC in Carolina.  How did the Panthers do after the trade?

Absolutely the best one move for impact on offense is getting another elite receiving weapon.  Good luck covering all 4.  Good luck with 6 in the box.   Good luck stopping us from getting 10 yards on 3 plays and controlling the clock. Good luck covering all those guys in short yardage and goal line. 

25 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Too old. Can’t take on anymore senior citizens 

29?  Too old for one year prove it?

Not worried about target share...production is the focus. 

I’m with you philosophically. But have to admit in the real world FL is hitting on a real issue. We all saw how AJ will pout if he isn’t dominating. Guys need there’s. Smitty and AJ it worked out nicely. Both got enough. Both I’m sure would love more…but fit just enough to fight back ego and business.

We went to the Superbowl...how much did our draft picks contribute.  To me.. very poor business thinking...if you are looking at the rookies filling needs year 1.   4 picks ..etc.  forget that.  

The picks you should make are to set yourself up long term.   The lines need to be restocked with youth, especially the DL... and that 4th receiving weapon would be long term for the offense.  

The S, LB and whatever else..you can find the one year rentals.  Then use the 12 picks next year...etc.  

Never go into a draft...this is my one year need, these are my picks, and make a decision on that.  You end up trading your picks to the Eagles like the Saints did that way.  

Hey we filled a need with pick 94... can't think that way.  

You have to to complete the Championship Puzzle. Rebuilding time..just take the best talents. But once you’ve built a team….then you actually need to finish it and sustain it.

Archived