Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yes that is the theory. With the defensive losses we will have to score more

Plus the better competition this year.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't get the mindset.   If we have a top level elite QB.   His job is to pass...why not give him the best tools to do it.  Why the need to run even more than we do now?  

35 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Oh, I absolutely only want the one year prove it deal... I'm not looking to pay good money.  

We have the best human on the planet at QB...the whole world wants to play with him.  I'll throw him a little $, but not much. 

I don’t see him signing that cheap. But if he does I’m fine with it. Really makes the Secondary old. I’ve been wanting to draft some DBs and build youth for years. But I guess we can just draft lineman always instead.

And not only that. You are giving him something that was missing in the offense that would play to his strength... a WR that excels in the route running and short patterns.  

Just doesn't make sense unless you don't believe in the QB?

24 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ok...throw in making the SB. Or throw in the best offenses you've seen. 

Manning with the 4 receiving options when Stokley was in Indy,  or when Welker came to Denver with the 2 stud WRs and the stud TE.  Brady with Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Watson in 2007.  Rodgers the one year where Nelson was the #3 WR and they had that stud TE.  

You have a system that works with the OL and running threat of a QB that already lifts the running game enough.  You put the passing game to where it's the most feared for its weapons ... unless you don't trust the QB passing it... doesn't make sense how you can't see it would be the best thing for the offense.  

You can zig or zag or do whatever you want... good luck stopping that offense.   

Especially when it perfectly compliments the QB who brings 2 excellent attributes to the table...  two TANGIBLE ones...  1.  He is a threat to run,freezes the LBs on run plays.   2. He is absolutely excellent at short throws.  The slot guy added to the mix... where he can cut on a dime, catch that 3 yard pass and take it to the house.   

Those things set up the offense the best for Hurts.    The idea of running the ball works if one thinks he sucks.  If dude is legit MVP candidate then you trust him.  Give him tools that fit him.... not let's build the run game so he won't have to pass.  That's chicken S#$t idea. This is the NFL not college. It's a QB and a passing league.  Give our guy the tools and let him go play.

He has tools. Was MVP runner up. Losing his stud(last year anyway) RB. Not losing AJ, Smitty or Goedert. 

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t see him signing that cheap. But if he does I’m fine with it. Really makes the Secondary old. I’ve been wanting to draft some DBs and build youth for years. But I guess we can just draft lineman always instead.

Well then he can go play somewhere else.   Did you see any of the safeties playing for as cheap as they are ....say a couple weeks ago.  If this guy is old and washed up like you say... why would he command so much on the market... after teams already spent in free agency?

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not against the WR. But really limit us if we only stick with this RB room. Had Sanders kicking butt all season. Huge difference between him and the next guys. Not like he is Walter PAyton or anything. Saw how in two very crucial games how not having that real RB limited that feature. Would have really helped to run the ball and control the clock and game more. Sanders being injured really cost us so much. The saints game is what it is. But the SB we needed that stud Rb. Got not much. Seems likely Niners going to be in the way again. Not a Gainwell level working on them.

Penny is as good as Sanders IF he can stay on the field. he would also have a reduced role over what he did in Seattle. Gains looked good at years end,sometimes Scott even has a good game. If as Joe said you get that slot  that can burn you,you have to cover for him making the run game easier no matter who the RB is

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

He has tools. Was MVP runner up. Losing his stud(last year anyway) RB. Not losing AJ, Smitty or Goedert. 

Which stud... Howard was the RB he lost last year.  The trade in getting AJ was well worth it.  Lock in another one,you set him up for his career. 

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

Penny is as good as Sanders IF he can stay on the field. he would also have a reduced role over what he did in Seattle. Gains looked good at years end,sometimes Scott even has a good game. If as Joe said you get that slot  that can burn you,you have to cover for him making the run game easier no matter who the RB is

Sanders is dime a dozen.  They had no plans on ever resigning him. Obvious all season. 

You can post fir the hundredth time how another receiving option makes the O better. Always been saying that myself. So no disagreement there. All disagreement  with your complete disrespect to the RB. I never said it was number one. But we have everything else. Don’t have a  RB. Sanders was the playmaking weapon last season. It was huge! Maybe get a RB that also receives. 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You both kind of just taking blind stats. No regard for opponent. Matchups in this league are key every week. Things just don’t work out like you guys kind of dreaming.

More top rate weapons you have the harder it is to cover them all. Tell me ehow has a defense that can do that every play? That's not dreaming that is reality. njigba is far and away an upgrade to Quez. It's not close

Yes a RB can catch passes also. Why exclude that thought? Seems like you putting everything on Hurts to carry the team even more. Every QBs best friend is a strong rushing attack.

WRONG a QB's best friend is an Oline. You give any decent QB 5 seconds and he will carve you up

I understand the mismatch every extra receiving threat brings. Pascal and Stoll were out there a ton. Not great. 2021….we changed O direction. We turned things over to Stout. Oline /Run game coordinator. Our Oline punishes people run blocking. It’s a huge weapon. Slows down the eventual pass rush even. But you aren’t seeing that part even. Just pass pass go backwards. Does Mailata pancake and level guys in pass protection or run blocking more? Go down the line. But you are so excited about neutering that advantage with Joe in the backfield. Or Joe posting about no care for RB. RB does matter. Why weaken that rushing advantage? So easy to see how it could be strengthened instead. 

What you are missing is the key downs. Your big ball park numbers fit rushing don’t matter squat on third and three. Current RB room we need to pass. Teams will be in coverage. Have a quality RB back there? Then the D is conflicted.

What if they outlaw the tush push?? That was our short yardage "running game" which wasn't a running game,more of a rugby scrum. Penny is a hammer

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Right....your stuck in the mindset of DBs... DBs and RBs....the sizzle, the flash part.   Probably comes from having a strong influence from college football.  

But I will say... for me, watching other teams have pro bowls level QBs and WRs play together for years... and how the Eagles have had such crap at WR...but reach their only 3 SBs when they finally had WRs..  yeah, I'm biased a little on wanting that stability of a great passing game ... long-term.   Nothing is more brutal to watch that when your team has a brutal incompetent passing game.   I'll take bad coverage if they mix in enough sacks and turnovers with a strong DL. 

Game is a passing game.  The key plays always come down to the pass plays.  Take away the blowouts ... look at each game.  

Washington made key pass plays all game in loss one, Indy we didn't do anything until we stopped giving it to Sanders, Dallas beat us with the pass, Saints kept converting passes on us early when they scored.  Mahomes 4 TD passes and 13 for 14 in second half.

No matter how important the run game is...barring the blowouts, it will always be complimentary and take a back seat to the execution of the passing game on key plays. 

The run game is to football, what the jab is to boxing.  

28 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

They have to guess pass... that's why I'm saying put that 4th weapon out there.  3rd WR stud...or another Goedert type and go 2 TEs.  Cause the matchup problem.   The run game will benefit.  Doesn't have to be one RB getting stats...like I said 2021 was a better run game for us...not a better offense. 

So you think we are a better rushing team with Gainwell and company that Jonathan Taylor and company? You think the Cowboys were the same with Zeke as Pollard? I can see a bit of your point…but you’ve gone way overboard to the extreme. Pollard made a world of difference to their O.

27 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

They didn't miss a beat with Perine.

Because of their top Oline

40 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I never said a fourth receiving option doesn’t help. That’s just obvious. But you are using generic big picture stats to try and cover up needing an actual guy at the RB position. Sanders became a completely dominant rusher this season. Killed it. A real weapon and playmaker. The other RBs were just Joes. Not important guys. Your theory is basically resting on Gainwell dominating in the fourth quarter against a Giants team that was already beaten. To me…that means very little to what’s important. Want plenty of those games where Hurts isn’t exposed. Just run out the game successsful with the lead. Now a really poor run D like Gmen…we can still probably do it. But the important games we needed Sanders. The important run…you need the guy to rely on. Fourth and two…who you giving it to? Penny on the trainers table? Scott? Gainwell? Sermon? Water boy? You can rack up rushing yards in plenty of ways all season. But Sanders got us starting our domination with the run. Gets the Oline hitting and attacking their guys. That twenty yard run consistently becomes four or five yard runs….DC aren’t going to respect it. After thought of any gameplan. Why can’t you see that the RB can be a part of the plan? Last year when Zeke got the ball. Hard forceful short gain ….usually pushing a tackler forward. But then Pollard? Whoa….DC scared. Gotta look out and stop that guy.

Facts-we could not keep Sanders sue to his contract facts-he won't be playing for us this year fact-we found a CHEAP RB to add to the RBBC. Scott rte-signed. We still have Sermon(for now) and i have zero clue if he is ready or not. Gainwell looked good at years end,build from that.suspect we pick up a 7th or UDFA RB unless a value picks falls in our lap. So the question marks for me are 1)how good is Sermon? 2) can Penny play in every game(iffy) 3)Can Scott fill in when/if Penny can't? 4) will we use gainwell out of the backfield more than we have?. We are not privvy to those answers

12 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You can post fir the hundredth time how another receiving option makes the O better. Always been saying that myself. So no disagreement there. All disagreement  with your complete disrespect to the RB. I never said it was number one. But we have everything else. Don’t have a  RB. Sanders was the playmaking weapon last season. It was huge! Maybe get a RB that also receives. 

But we don't have everything... we have Quez and Stohl.    That can be upgraded big time.  I think it's you who disrespect our RB group and overrate Sanders and his impact.  

But we do agree...he either sucked or was hurt at the end... yet I see us putting up over 100 points in 3 games.  

KC had two high draft pick RBs. That’s AR! But Pacheco came along and made a huge difference.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So you think we are a better rushing team with Gainwell and company that Jonathan Taylor and company? You think the Cowboys were the same with Zeke as Pollard? I can see a bit of your point…but you’ve gone way overboard to the extreme. Pollard made a world of difference to their O.

Again... my goal isn't to be the best rushing team like we were in 2021.  Or 2021 Jonathon Taylor... see results for both teams ...you follow?

My goal is to have the best offense possible... see results of 2022 Eagles. 

31 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

We can if they can play 1-2 more years. We resigned Slay right?

We only did that to give cap space this year

Clearly why we went through the whole find a trade Slay. We’ll cut you Slay.

29 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

" seems like you want to put so much on Hurts now "     I'm guessing Cincy,  KC , Buffalo didn't put it on their QBs? 

I'm actually trying to give him better weapons than all those guys... but no...we need to run more?  We already run it way more than the rest of the league. 

Sanders ram it this past season. Huge difference in real versus the Joe’s.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

KC had two high draft pick RBs. That’s AR! But Pacheco came along and made a huge difference.

Those RBs didn't do much.  

Again... AR burned timeouts...do we want to follow that too.    If you make a point... show where it translated to the team having success. 

Mixon...or no Mixon.   Sanders or no Sanders.   Eagles success or Dallas success?    Jonathon Taylor's team success?   Chubb and Henry's team success. Henry with and without AJ?

Carolina's success with and without CMC.  

Look at all these things from a perspective of just winning.  Not,I just want a stud RB room or stud DB room just to have it for flash and sizzle. 

Archived