EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Ryan now or earlier? I’d say Ryan earlier in his career. Now I’d take Kyler cause i still think he has upside whereas Ryan is on the decline. Tannehill I’d agree on. I think people crap on him cause he has Henry and credit his success to just having Henry. I actually think he’s been better than people realize. Probably take murray just do to the fact he’s younger and can still get better 

Definitely Ryan earlier, now maybe Kyler. Maybe. I’d have to do a deeper dive on that one. I still think Ryan can be a good to really good starter, maybe it’s bias because I’ve also been a big Ryan supporter and have remained higher on him than most last couple years. I like his chances this year to make a comeback with Arthur Smith coaching & Calvin Ridley being his WR1, Kyle Pitts entering the fold certainly helps. But yeah Tannehil is someone who is underrated, if that offense can stay healthy they could be one of the best. But I’m nervous about that offense with Arthur Smith gone

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Maybe I am doing Pascal a great disservice but I am not comparing JJAW to him but rather how Sirianni might use JJAW.  Then again, there may be no use for JJAW and he was just kept to soothe Howie’s ego for drafting him. (Only reason I can see for keeping Marlon T.).

But I have to.disagree with the belief that Pascal would have thrived here.  Doug went 12 and turned passing game coordination over to Press Taylor, who was elevated too highly for stealing "Philly Philly” from the archives of other coaches.  I have commented how Doug’s routes went downhill and became predictable when Reich left.  Gone were Chip’s mesh routes.  Gone was any separation to speak of.  If Pascal was here with Press and Doug, he would be another JAG.  

All slates are clean this year.  New offensive minds.  New defensive minds.  New opinions start forming in a week and a half.

Well, put that way, you seem to understand my intrigue with AGG.

As for the schemes in Indy vs. Philly recently... sure.  But, part of the issue with the production was the talent on the field, not just the schemes.   And most of the talent on the field at WR recently hasn't even been 'jag' level.  Ward qualifies for Jag status.  JJAW, Hightower are working to get there.  Fulgham exceeded it for a 4 game stretch, then fell off the mountain past below jag status.  Watkins never really got a shot, but flashed in his extremely limited opportunities.  Makes you wonder why it took so long for him to see the field, and even then... 7 for 106 and 1 TD in 4 games doesn't scream 'stud'... but for a rookie year it would extrapolate decently, not that that is a reliable measurement of anything... see Fulgham for a counter example.  28 for 424 and 4 TDs.  (Closely matching Pascal's rookie season stats... 27/268/2 )

This season can't start soon enough...

So Jackson isn't on Short-term IR?  Is this going to be another instance where a roster spot is taken up for no reason?

6 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

So Jackson isn't on Short-term IR?  Is this going to be another instance where a roster spot is taken up for no reason?

I hope they are just taking their time.

Jackson and Taylor for sure should be on short term IR.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES. The Eagles are going to run a lot more two-high, zone coverages in 2021. The Eagles ran man coverage at a top-five rate in the NFL during the 2020 season, but it looks like that’s changing under new defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon. Philadelphia led all defenses this preseason in Cover 2 rate (39%) and number of snaps with two-high safeties post-snap. On the flip side, no defense ran less Cover 1 than the Eagles over the past month (7%). It’s a trend that should carry over into the regular season, given Gannon’s tendencies while with the Colts.

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Be careful what you wish for.  

Even then... I'm a band-aid off fast guy.   I know it will likely be terrible, but at least then we will get to see starters play... the veil will be lifted off the schemes and we can stop guessing what Sirianni and Gannon are planning to do and start evaluating what they are actually doing.   The evaluations based off the tiny data set we have is complete... and the speculations to extrapolate based on previous stops, wishcasting one's preferred usages on to the new coaching staff, and excusing all mediocrity and/or horridness as being the fault of the previous coaching staff will end.   And we can start the process of evaluating the data we see in real games, with full schemes, etc.  

No excuses will be allowed for regarding the readiness to play Week 1.  The organization chose to limit their time on the field together.  That choice comes at a price.  We'll see how much it costs this team.  There will be the obligatory "it's a small data set" comments, but at least we will have actual data to analyze.   I am anticipating the worst, a 5 win season for example, but somehow within that, I am hoping for glimmers of hope for the future... for a chance to see some young talent make steps forward to appear like they might actually be able to be a foundational building block for the future.   Who is the next Fletcher Cox, Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson on this team?   The curtain will be drawn back soon, and that story will start to be written.  Just hoping it has a happy ending.

If Over/Under is 1.5 gamed Minshew has STARTED by end of week Ten, what you got? Im going over. I don't think they traded for him to be the third stringer for long. 

25 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

6-7 wins.  With an impressive win, week 1 to get everyone’s hopes up.  

I think the Eagles lose Week 1 by about 34-17, and this board loses its collective mind.  Numerous threads on EMB will start about what to do with the #1 overall pick.

30 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

If Over/Under is 1.5 gamed Minshew has STARTED by end of week Ten, what you got? Im going over. I don't think they traded for him to be the third stringer for long. 

Under. He is a perfect cheap backup

which is why the flacco deal was so stupid 

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I think the Eagles lose Week 1 by about 34-17, and this board loses its collective mind.  Numerous threads on EMB will start about what to do with the #1 overall pick.

I'm not saying the Eagles are going to beat the Falcons but I think it's a decent match up for the team.  Atlanta is going to have a good offense and it will be a struggle for the Eagles.  I do think they have more questions on the interior of their o-line and Ryan isn't that mobile.   They have no one at RB at this point.  I mean their starting RB is Mike Davis.  Ridley is a problem.  Pitts is going to be a problem.  I do think the Eagles' defense can create pressure for Ryan and maybe force some drive killing plays.  Atlanta on defense looks to be bad. The Eagles should dominate the team up front.    I think the Eagles could get a lot of yards against the team with easy throws to RBs and WR screens.  I could see the Eagles putting up a bunch of points and people coming away saying how Hurts is probably a top 5 QB.  

15 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

That could very well be a possibility.   Personally, I expect something like that to happen.   Hopefully there are some high points to talk about though.   That's my goal this year... find the positives in the midst of a big negative.   Even as bad as the 1998-1999 seasons were... there were high points.  Tra Thomas looked like a guy that could be a fixture at LT... (the following offseason, they landed Jon Runyan and had bookend OTs for the first time since Walters and Sizemore!).  Brian Dawkins began to emerge as a stud.  Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor were here and showing that this could be an elite secondary.  The LBs were weak, but they drafted a kid out of Stephen F. Austin, who finally got a chance in 1999, at MLB.  They had acquired Hugh Douglas prior to the 1998 season, and he rebounded back to a Pro Bowl level DE that he was with the Jets before they switched to a 3-4.  Jermaine Mayberry was finally playing like a first round pick, settling in nicely at LG next to Tra Thomas, and Duce Staley was basically the entire offense.  They drafted a QB #2, and in a limited exposure showed flashes and became the starter for the 2000 season.

We can only hope that this team has some of that to see.

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I'm not saying the Eagles are going to beat the Falcons but I think it's a decent match up for the team.  Atlanta is going to have a good offense and it will be a struggle for the Eagles.  I do think they have more questions on the interior of their o-line and Ryan isn't that mobile.   They have no one at RB at this point.  I mean their starting RB is Mike Davis.  Ridley is a problem.  Pitts is going to be a problem.  I do think the Eagles' defense can create pressure for Ryan and maybe force some drive killing plays.  Atlanta on defense looks to be bad. The Eagles should dominate the team up front.    I think the Eagles could get a lot of yards against the team with easy throws to RBs and WR screens.  I could see the Eagles putting up a bunch of points and people coming away saying how Hurts is probably a top 5 QB.  

Because both teams sucked last year.  Because both teams changed HCs.   And because both teams rested their starters for preseason.  

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Because both teams sucked last year.  Because both teams changed HCs.   And because both teams rested their starters for preseason.  

The Falcons roster is worse than the Eagles at a lot of positions.  

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

reminds me of the best line in all of music...

Whiskey bottles, brand new cars, Oak tree you're in my way 

Wow, piling up bad takes.  You should listen to more music.

40 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

If we lose week 1, we're in for a loooong season. Falcons is the most winnable game in the first 6. We're not beating SF/KC/TB, so 2-4 would be the best outcome.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Wow, piling up bad takes.  You should listen to more music.

The line in the song is what it is -- but I'd sooner spend all day listening to Skynyrd than any of the crap that's been put out in the last 20 years.

Just now, Alphagrand said:

The line in the song is what it is -- but I'd sooner spend all day listening to Skynyrd than any of the crap that's been put out in the last 20 years.

Not sure how we went that direction .  There is 100 better song lines from the 70’’s, 80’s and 90’s each. Yeah the last 20 not so good, but doesn’t make Skynyrd become mater lyricists.

I think we're a big surprise this season and hit double digit wins, we were so injured and dysfunctional last season, it's an awful division and we play enough bad teams to be over 500

3 minutes ago, RLC said:

If we lose week 1, we're in for a loooong season. Falcons is the most winnable game in the first 6. We're not beating SF/KC/TB, so 2-4 would be the best outcome.

I expect the Eagles to be 2-7 after the first nine games, then .500 or better in the last eight.  The second half schedule is much lighter.

It's a road game with a new system on both sides of the ball, even a new punter on ST.  Wouldn't shock me if they won because ... it is the Falcons, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Eagles take a few weeks to gel.

I have the Eagles season going:

@ ATL -- L

SF -- L

@ DAL -- L

KC -- L

@ CAR -- W

TB -- L

@ LV -- L

@ DET -- W

LAC -- L

@ DEN -- W

NO -- L

@ NYG -- W

@ NYJ -- W

BYE

WFT -- W

NYG -- W

@ WFT -- L

DAL -- L

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

you sure about that?

QB - Falcons

RB Eagles

WR -Falcons

TE - Falcons

OL - Eagles

DL - Eagles

LB - Falcons

DB's - Push? Edge Eagles

ST's Push?  Edge Falcons 

Yes  

17 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

You should probably listen to more music.  There's been plenty of great music put out in the last 20 years.  You just can't typically find it on the radio.  

Eagles have a really rough schedule , almost brutal  . They win 6 games , and the coaching staff did a hell of a job ,

14 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I expect the Eagles to be 2-7 after the first nine games, then .500 or better in the last eight.  The second half schedule is much lighter.

If we start 2-7, we're absolutely going to be sellers...so the lighter schedule won't matter. We just need one NFCE team to start 5-4 to make that a reality. Dallas' early season schedule is relatively easy. They should easily get to 5-4.

Archived