Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

35 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You might be waiting a long time then bud. This dude survived 4 coaching changes and two of those guys went to the SB. Somehow he always escapes the blame for what goes bad around the Eagles despite having his finger basically in everything involving them. 

Well they definitely won't fire him after this season because they will say those 1st round picks are all because of him and his greatness. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

You may have zero issues with it, but the Eagles did and that’s why Hurts was drafted. Bottom line is if he doesn’t try to play Hero ball there he doesn’t get the "cheap shot.” For the record the player wasn’t penalized, fined, or suspended for the play. For the record I thought it was a cheap shot, but you know something? It wasn’t the first time the Seahawks did that to Wentz, because they knew he never really gives up on a play to the keep attacking him till he goes down. He could’ve thrown it away. He could have just went down when the DB was in his face. He tried to get two unnecessary yards and it cost him the rest of the game and put in motion the mess we are in now. Ignore it if you want to though.

i get it, you feel scorned by wentz and will find a way to blame him for everything. 

1 minute ago, Thing3 said:

That's exactly why I think they are going to get QB this year and if that's the case I would prefer getting a vet. Not that I like it. I would prefer they have more patience and work on improving other positions. Like you said, I feel Howie thinks we're a QB and few lower round draft picks away from greatness.

Ironically Howie’s best picks seem to be latter round players. The Goedert draft might be his best with multiple starters from that draft and he didn’t even have a first. We all pretty much know he isn’t good at picking first anyways. 

Just now, Alpha_TATEr said:

i get it, you feel scorned by wentz and will find a way to blame him for everything. 

No you don’t get it. That’s why you asked the silly question to begin with. 

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well they definitely won't fire him after this season because they will say those 1st round picks are all because of him and his greatness. 

Almost feels like he lucked his way into all of this, but there was some gambling done here. He sacrificed a chance at better players to get these picks. Is Smith really that good? I’m still not sure yet. 

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

No you don’t get it. That’s why you asked the silly question to begin with. 

oh yes i do, i get that you just cant let it go that wentz wanted to leave and you will assign all blame to him because of it. 

5 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

Plenty of blame to go around.

2 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

Plenty of blame to go around.

exactly, and yes to be clear, wentz deserves a decent portion of the blame IMO. 

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Almost feels like he lucked his way into all of this, but there was some gambling done here. He sacrificed a chance at better players to get these picks. Is Smith really that good? I’m still not sure yet. 

Smith was a good trade imo... ( has th case of the drops all of a sudden tho). the Wentz one was fixing his own mess and our own 1st pick will be lower because of his mess. 

2 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

exactly, and yes to be clear, wentz deserves a decent portion of the blame IMO. 

Who is blaming Wentz for everything? Maybe all of these people who want to blame everbut Wentz for anything should actually give the guy his accountability in all of it too, because it really seems like you all blame everyone but him for everything despite the fact he’s the guy who always had the ball in his hands. 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Smith was a good trade imo... ( has th case of the drops all of a sudden tho). the Wentz one was fixing his own mess and our own 1st pick will be lower because of his mess. 

The Smith drops are troubling. Howie threw so many resources at the receiver position for years now and I still don’t know if the team is better for it. One year Jeffery paid off. The rest of these guys well I’m just not so sure. Despite all of the mistakes Howie has made he keeps getting a pass by the owner. Reports are the Eagles hired a private investigator to look into Watson so that’s how committed they were to bring him in. Those picks seem to be burning a hole in Howie’s pocket. He can’t wait to use them to get a veteran quarterback. I think guys playing into their 40s now at quarterback will give the Eagles a false sense of hope when it comes to Wilson. They probably think they will get at least 7 more years with the guy so why not just trade for him? I really feel like this is their mindset. Of course then why draft Hurts? The Eagles FO don’t seem to have a plan. They just seem like they’re going about it in the dark and throwing crap at the wall and hoping anything sticks. 

People aren’t even holding Carson accountable for his own trade request. Please don’t talk about blame or accountability when some of you never give Carson any of it. That’s why some of you are asking stupid questions like "What GM would take Jalen Hurts over Carson Wentz?” The answer is NONE OF THEM, and that includes Howie Roseman, but you people are so tone deaf in your defense of Wentz that you don’t even see he’s the one who asked to be dealt. It’s never his fault though. Don’t talk about accountability when you people never hold him accountable for anything.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Wentz wanted the money the Eagles gave him that’s all we really know because he signed a contract. The Eagles wanted a player who they could count on in the playoffs. They didn’t get that, so they drafted some insurance so they didn’t have to go with a 40 something year old backup. Maybe if Wentz handled the drafting of Hurtts like Rodgers handled the drafting of that kid in the first round it never would have happened. You can try to excuse it away all you like with assumptions, but the bottom line is Wentz requested a trade. Ben Simmons signed an extension with the Sixers. It doesn’t mean he ever truly wanted to play for them. 

Drafting Hurts was stupid. I said it back then and I’ll say it now. Not because he was a threat to Wentz but because they spent a 2nd rounder on a backup when they could’ve used that on a starter to help Wentz. If you want an insurance policy for your franchise QB you just signed, then sign a good veteran backup.

As for Rodgers, he didn’t handle the drafting of Jordan Love well at all. He was a bigger baby than Wentz was.

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

So basically 1 in the top 10 2 in the teens. Those teens are where Howie gets sketchy. Hopefully he moves 1 of them for a 1st next year

Not true.  Howie has never whiffed on a top 20 pick.  Once he gets in the twenties though, watch out.

3 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Drafting Hurts was stupid. I said it back then and I’ll say it now. Not because he was a threat to Wentz but because they spent a 2nd rounder on a backup when they could’ve used that on a starter to help Wentz. If you want an insurance policy for your franchise QB you just signed, then sign a good veteran backup.

As for Rodgers, he didn’t handle the drafting of Jordan Love well at all. He was a bigger baby than Wentz was.

He went out there and became MVP and demanded a trade. Wentz had the worst season of his career and demanded a trade. I don’t see how Wentz did it better considering his poor play worsened his value and he’s basically on a team that only beats bad teams. Drafting Hurts was "stupid” as you say, but it doesn’t happen if Wentz the guy they paid all that money to doesn’t get hurt at a critical moments in the season once again. Howie told us their plans. He said they looked at the roster at the end of the season and whoever wasn’t there they drafted. He drafted wide receivers and a quarterback. The year prior they tried to draft a quarterback as a backup in the latter rounds and he didn’t even survive preseason. They needed and inexpensive backup with some talent, because every time the team was in the post season they needed to use their backup quarterback. The bottom line is both sides have their share of blame here. 

2 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Not true.  Howie has never whiffed on a top 20 pick.  Once he gets in the twenties though, watch out.

Derek Barnett is a starter, but I wouldn’t exactly say he was a good pick. 

19 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I think everyone can agree drafting Hurtz made no sense at the time and in hindsight. I always believed the whole "QB factory" comment was about Howie thinking there was value there and that they could ultimately trade him down the line for more then they got him for. I also believe at least part of the reason to bench Wentz was to give them a chance to showcase Hurtz. In my mind it's the only thing that makes any sense.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Derek Barnett is a starter, but I wouldn’t exactly say he was a good pick. 

I mean, sure, and you can criticize other top 20 picks as not being optimal, just like for any team, but their top 20 picks record during the Roseman era overall has been very good.  Their 21-32 picks?  Atrocious.  I think that’s where Howie gets tempted into playing a bit of hero ball instead of taking the smart checkdown.

2 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I think everyone can agree drafting Hurtz made no sense at the time and in hindsight. I always believed the whole "QB factory" comment was about Howie thinking there was value there and that they could ultimately trade him down the line for more then they got him for. I also believe at least part of the reason to bench Wentz was to give them a chance to showcase Hurtz. In my mind it's the only thing that makes any sense.

It actually kind of worked too, except Wentz got so butthurt by the whole thing that it blew up in their face, which was not altogether unpredictable.

1 minute ago, BayAreaLennie said:

I mean, sure, and you can criticize other top 20 picks as not being optimal, just like for any team, but their top 20 picks record during the Roseman era overall has been very good.  Their 21-32 picks?  Atrocious.  I think that’s where Howie gets tempted into playing a bit of hero ball instead of taking the smart checkdown.

I think it gets a little bit cloudy for who is responsible for what. Is Howie or Andy Reid responsible for Fletcher Cox? I think Howie drafted Lane, but it was clear the team wanted Jordan, but Miami jumped ahead of them. The jury is still out on Smith really. He started off pretty hot, but now he’s been dropping a lot of passes. It’s too early to say how good he will or won’t be yet. I just don’t think we have a big enough sample size of players that were absolute slam dunks at the top end of the draft by Howie just yet. Overall I’d say Wentz was a good pick, but he’s not even an Eagles anymore while Fletcher Cox and Lane who were drafted before him still are. 

26 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

That's why I said sketchy because they really haven't had many picks for 11-20. Barnett meh and that's about it .

Technically Wentz would be a whiff now. All the resources dumped into him for one stellar season and 2 decent ones. One terrible one and now off the team

3 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

It actually kind of worked too, except Wentz got so butthurt by the whole thing that it blew up in their face, which was not altogether unpredictable.

How the Eagles (and in particular Howie) could not foresee how drafting Hurts might lead to problems is beyond me. The fact this team had to use their backup quarterbacks so often was clearly a sore spot for both sides. They should have known Wentz would not respond well to them drafting this guy especially how things went with Foles all those years. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That's why I said sketchy because they really haven't had many picks for 11-20. Barnett meh and that's about it 

If Howie keeps the picks you would think he has to get at least one of them right. Well you hope anyways. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I do feel like Howie believes this team is a quarterback away from being a contender unfortunately so I think he is probably going to do exactly what you wrote while the roster basically crumbles around that vet quarterback. 

All his recent actions would say otherwise. In the aftermath of the Super Bowl victory, he thought they had a roster that could win the SB again and used draft capital and resources to gather veteran players.  (That strategy blew up in his face with tons of veteran injuries,). He understood that that window had slammed shut with last season’s results and reversed tactics, jettisoning veterans and acquiring draft picks.

5 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

All his recent actions would say otherwise. In the aftermath of the Super Bowl victory, he thought they had a roster that could win the SB again and used draft capital and resources to gather veteran players.  (That strategy blew up in his face with tons of veteran injuries,). He understood that that window had slammed shut with last season’s results and reversed tactics, jettisoning veterans and acquiring draft picks.

Seems like they want to use those acquired picks to trade for a veteran quarterback and that is why they have been linked to all of them who might be on the move. Heck the only players they actually have moved were players who requested trades. If they really thought they were rebuilding then why sign vets like Nelson or Wilson at all? Why continue to extend Lane and Fletcher? It doesn’t feel like they’re committed to a full rebuild at all. It actually feels like they think they’re just a quarterback away from greatness. 

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think it gets a little bit cloudy for who is responsible for what.

This.  So much this.  Yet everybody on these boards seems to assume that every drafting mistake was Roseman, and every success is someone else.  It just doesn’t work that way.

Archived