EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

33 minutes ago, shlo said:

As soon as I saw the Bears/Giants trade, I wished the Eagles had done that. I knew the Bears would be terrible this year. Would have been the most fun draft ever! Potentially 4 top 10 picks.

I like smith and believe he’s going to be a good wr for years. But i made 2 points at the time. First the eagles were not just one WR away from being a contender. They were in a rebuild so dealing away the third along with their first for one player wasn’t ideal unless you were going after a franchise Qb. Second like you said, if they stay at that pick the cowboys take parsons, giants take smith which was reportedly what they were doing if he’s there. You have the option of trading back with the bears and getting a 2022 first and moving back to 20. Essentially instead of smith the eagles could've had the 20th overall pick in 2021, keep their 3rd rounder and a 2022 first rounder from Chicago which might be a top 12 pick.  Don’t get me wrong i like smith. He’s gonna be good once we get consistency at Qb but that’s 3 good picks they could’ve had for a team during a rebuild. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Saltpeter said:

I expect the Eagles make exactly zero moves today

Same. I'm rooting for the Dolphins to sell for 2022 picks to help them eventually get Watson. 

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

Same. I'm rooting for the Dolphins to sell for 2022 picks to help them eventually get Watson. 

There’s rumors that’s part of the reason the broncos made the deal yesterday with von Miller. They wanted more picks to go after a Qb this offseason. 

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I like smith and believe he’s going to be a good wr for years. But i made 2 points at the time. First the eagles were not just one WR away from being a contender. They were in a rebuild so dealing away the third along with their first for one player wasn’t ideal unless you were going after a franchise Qb. Second like you said, if they stay at that pick the cowboys take parsons, giants take smith which was reportedly what they were doing if he’s there. You have the option of trading back with the bears and getting a 2022 first and moving back to 20. Essentially instead of smith the eagles could've had the 20th overall pick in 2021, keep their 3rd rounder and a 2022 first rounder from Chicago which might be a top 12 pick.  Don’t get me wrong i like smith. He’s gonna be good once we get consistency at Qb but that’s 3 good picks they could’ve had for a team during a rebuild. 

Eh I'm happy with how it worked out. Smith looks legit, and with our history of drafting WRs, that would be a massive win, finally. 

At 20, who would we take? Toney? Farley? Paye? Who knows, Howie might've taken Dickerson there knowing his history. 

Yes, it would have been nice to have Chicago's 2022 pick as well, but I think sometimes people over value future picks. Also, I think if the Colts pick ends up as a first, we could easily trade one of our 1sts for later 1st in 2022, plus a future 1st in 2023. It's fun to play the what if game, but ultimately, count me as happy with the way it worked out. 

As a final note....do we really expect the Giants to draft good players with their bounty? As long as Gettleman is running the show anyway?

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

If you polled everyone here I'd say 75% of them expect us to split with the Giants

If you polled every giant fan I'd say 50% would say they expect to win both and another 30% would expect a split.

Thats one thing this Eagles fan base doesnt get. The league, the handicappers, and other fan bases thing the eagles BLOW(which they do). 

Sorry, we don't discuss opinions in here, as per you. Take it elsewhere. 

53 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

This is some good stuff 

I was impressed with TJ Edwards, in a scheme where he's allowed to attack down hill he can be effective, asking him to sit back in zone all day and read and react isnt suited to his limited skill set.

I thought he played fast and physical and was glad coaches made the change.

Wilson has been awful this year and one could say he fit better in Gannon's two deep zone scheme as he has more range in coverage than Edwards but he wasn't so good in coverage that it made up for how bad he was against the run and TJ Edwards is so much better against the run that one can live with his limitations in coverage though he did ok there as well.

As for the rest I was saddened not to see Fran highlight any Mailata, I could watch highlights of Mailata crushing dudes in the run game all day.

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

You clearly have no comprehension at all. My post would clearly indicate I think we are a below average team, but not a bottom of the barrel team. And if you aren't arguing over opinions, what the hell are you doing here? 

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

nope, I wont argue them. big difference friend. 

I can go through and find numerous people here, and on a giants board that think the Eagles will split. 

I cant get it through your head that this team blows and are no where close to average. 

No wonder you won't discuss opinions. You have no idea how to read and comprehend other people's position. 

Also,

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Each week I am shocked that ESP gets paid to share his opinions about the Eagles.  Maybe that’s the problem.  He should be reporting, not editorializing the Eagles. When talking about if they should be buyers or sellers, he said Buyers.   He theorized that we should look to get Devante Parker to help with the passing game.  Huh???  Is Parker going to turn Hurts into a real QB?  JFC.  Then asked if we would be sellers at all, the first name he brings up is Eric Wilson.  Who the F is going to give us anything for Eric Wilson??  Especially after his playing time was cut down to a point that he didn’t even dress this past week.  

I shouldn’t be surprised when he says stupid things anymore.  Shame on me.  

If we were to BUY.  I’d rather it be a young, controllable starter on defense for the distant future.  Not another WR to be wasted by a one read QB.  Our short term goal should be to limit the passing game.  Not increase it. 

Completely agree, but those types generally aren't available. You could pay a very steep price, but I'd rather not at this point. 

10 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Eh I'm happy with how it worked out. Smith looks legit, and with our history of drafting WRs, that would be a massive win, finally. 

At 20, who would we take? Toney? Farley? Paye? Who knows, Howie might've taken Dickerson there knowing his history. 

Yes, it would have been nice to have Chicago's 2022 pick as well, but I think sometimes people over value future picks. Also, I think if the Colts pick ends up as a first, we could easily trade one of our 1sts for later 1st in 2022, plus a future 1st in 2023. It's fun to play the what if game, but ultimately, count me as happy with the way it worked out. 

As a final note....do we really expect the Giants to draft good players with their bounty? As long as Gettleman is running the show anyway?

Sorry, we don't discuss opinions in here, as per you. Take it elsewhere. 

I would’ve taken newsome the corner. Who’s been good for the browns at 20. I liked him then. And he’s proved so far he’s good and will be a good corner. 

i think the 2022 class is going to be stacked due to the pandemic wreaking havoc last year. that first even if it’s 15 is going to yield a player that in most years likely could be a top 10 player. 

don’t care what the giants do. But having the potential for 3 top 15 picks in what’s expected to be a loaded draft seems pretty nice. With a chance for a fourth. Don’t get me wrong i like smith. I am not upset about him or having him. but this team wasn’t a WR away from competing and that type of draft capital is pretty damn nice for a team in a massive need of a rebuild. 

4 minutes ago, metal said:

Good.  I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a high 2nd.  He's been fine at LT just about every opportunity he's had and a 2nd round pick for a starting LT in the NFL is cheap. imo. 

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Each week I am shocked that ESP gets paid to share his opinions about the Eagles.  Maybe that’s the problem.  He should be reporting, not editorializing the Eagles. When talking about if they should be buyers or sellers, he said Buyers.   He theorized that we should look to get Devante Parker to help with the passing game.  Huh???  Is Parker going to turn Hurts into a real QB?  JFC.  Then asked if we would be sellers at all, the first name he brings up is Eric Wilson.  Who the F is going to give us anything for Eric Wilson??  Especially after his playing time was cut down to a point that he didn’t even dress this past week.  

I shouldn’t be surprised when he says stupid things anymore.  Shame on me.  

If we were to BUY.  I’d rather it be a young, controllable starter on defense for the distant future.  Not another WR to be wasted by a one read QB.  Our short term goal should be to limit the passing game.  Not increase it. 

All it took was one Lions beatdown and he's back on the Eagles are going to the playoffs bandwagon. 

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

All it took was one Lions beatdown and he's back on the Eagles are going to the playoffs bandwagon. 

sadly they have a chance cause everyone after the top 6 in the nfc stinks. And the saints likely see a drop off with siemian or hill out there. Plus we have a bunch of winnable games against the broncos, saints (without Jameis now), jets, giants twice and Washington twice. Might only take 8-9 to get in. Still only see the eagles get six wins as their ceiling tho 

D00DE3DE-10E6-451A-AFD7-9C2FBAD6DCB9.jpeg

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

You told me they'd "crush" and beat below average team, and then you said yourself the eagles are below average(which didnt make sense to me)

But again, our opinions differ, I cant factually state the future record of this team, or the upcoming games(wish I could)

So you are more then welcome to think theyre a below average team that can crush other below average teams. 

No, they can crush the worst teams in the league. There's a tier of teams, Jax, NYJ, Giants, Houston, Atlanta, Dolphins, Lions that are complete trash. Atlanta is at the top of that trash heap, sometimes bordering into the next tier. But they are trash. Yes, I think the Eagles could crush any of those teams. 

The next tier is the below average teams, Eagles, Panthers, 49ers, WFT, Vikings, Bears, Broncos, are all below average teams. Against each other, games will be close and could be coin flips. 

The next tier I'd put Seattle (when Wilson is healthy), Saints, Patriots, Chargers, Chiefs (this year), Raiders, Bengals, Steelers, Browns, Colts. Average teams that can play up to be above average/good, or play down to below average. Very inconsistent week to week.

The 'good' tier I would reserve for Ravens, Titans, good teams who are tough beats each week. 

The elite tier is Bills, Packers, Buccaneers, Rams, Cards. All teams that would generally be easy favorites over everybody else in the league and all likely fighting for the 1 seed in the NFC. 

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I would’ve taken newsome the corner. Who’s been good for the browns at 20. I liked him then. And he’s proved so far he’s good and will be a good corner. 

i think the 2022 class is going to be stacked due to the pandemic wreaking havoc last year. that first even if it’s 15 is going to yield a player that in most years likely could be a top 10 player. 

don’t care what the giants do. But having the potential for 3 top 15 picks in what’s expected to be a loaded draft seems pretty nice. With a chance for a fourth. Don’t get me wrong i like smith. I am not upset about him or having him. but this team wasn’t a WR away from competing and that type of draft capital is pretty damn nice for a team in a massive need of a rebuild. 

There's lots of guys you or I, or many others in here would have taken at pick 20. But with Howie's track record of picks in the mid to late first.....you think he would have taken Newsome? 

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

There's lots of guys you or I, or many others in here would have taken at pick 20. But with Howie's track record of picks in the mid to late first.....you think he would have taken Newsome? 

With who was available at 20 i think it comes down to paye, darrisaw, newsome and farely. Those 4 to me make the most sense. I’d probably say paye would be the leader in the clubhouse cause there were a ton of rumors leading up to the draft they really liked him.  I’m guessing darrisaw as the least option cause i think they were set on taking Dickerson at 37 and believed he would make it. 

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Heard Ross Tucker talking about the Chargers' Defense today on the radio.  I like Tucker, but for him to believe that the Chargers will line up in 2 deep the whole game and just let the Eagles run on them is a bit naive.  Maybe I have watched this team too much, but I think any professional coach when he watches this offense will not fear the deep pass or even chunk pass plays against this offense.  So, the 2 high look won't be there much on Sunday.  

Frankly, I'm not sure that I would even put 1 safety high.  I think I would start in a 1 high safety look, with the other safety sitting in the Hurts' happy zone to his right... and the high safety would walk down towards the box at the snap, from the left hash.  The RDE would be in charge of holding that edge and not letting the RB get wide and force the runner into the middle to where the safety is coming from.   The LDE would be in charge of holding the other edge and not giving Hurts what he so desperately wants, which is the chance to bounce out of the pocket to his right.  Complete and total mush rush from the edges.  The DTs can just rush however they wish, and force Hurts to throw from inside the pocket, and the safeties being so close to the LOS makes it much harder to run, and if the Eagles aren't getting 5+ ypc, they aren't going to stick to the running game for long.   

And on the flip side... does this defense actually have enough to stop the Chargers' Offense?  Nah, I don't think so.  So, I see the Chargers getting out to an early lead, then reverting to the 2 high safety look in the second half, and some extra garbage time yards and points.

I think the approach we have seen is to dare the Eagles to pass.  I do think where they have some potential in the pass game is the deep pass.  I mean essentially their game should be some RPO's, play action deep shots and running the ball.  Hurts is erratic and the only reliable way to move the ball is on the ground.  I don't have faith the coaches will stick with the running game even if the Chargers are in a 2 deep look.  You hit on the bigger issue.

This team has been shredded by every competent QB.  Sure they came out and pressured, played more man coverage and shut down the Lions.  The Lions WRs are not good.  The o-line gave up a ton of pressure and Goff was terrible.  Hockaday still had a good day.  The Chargers just have far better skill players outside.  Williams and Allen are tough to defend. Ekeler is as good a receiving back as the Eagles have faced.  Cook is a solid TE that will be open enough for them.  Hebert has played well.  The only thing that would concern me as a Chargers' fan is that the offense hasn't looked good the last 2 games.  Hebert didn't have a good game against the Patriots or Ravens.  The Patriots have a better defense.  I think the Ravens haven't been great but are a much better man to man coverage scheme than the Eagles.  It would shock me if the Chargers didn't make our defense look as terrible as Carr did.  

So the Eagles will fall behind, resort to passing the ball, fall behind more and the game gets away from them by halftime.  

I don’t think the birds would crush the Falcons if they played again. I think it would be much closer to 50/50.

Im still shocked Smith wasn’t able to catch all 103 receiving yards from his buddy Hurts. What a bust.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

With who was available at 20 i think it comes down to paye, darrisaw, newsome and farely. Those 4 to me make the most sense. I’d probably say paye would be the leader in the clubhouse cause there were a ton of rumors leading up to the draft they really liked him.  I’m guessing darrisaw as the least option cause i think they were set on taking Dickerson at 37 and believed he would make it. 

Farley already tore his ACL. He was an injury waiting to happen.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah I think it would have been between Paye/Farley. I get why people would have been good with the trade down with the Bears, I'm just happier that Howie was "forced" to take a good player higher up. That's all. And, I think who the Giants end up with does matter somewhat. But more from 10,000 feet up kind of way. Ultimately, it would not have shocked me to see them take Farley at 20 and hype up that he would have been a top 10 pick and they got a steal. Howie's MO really. 

10 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

I expect the Eagles to make exactly zero moves today

I don’t think we have the cap space to make moves, nor do we have the talent that anyone would want.

Sanders, Johnson, Slay, Cox should all be traded if there are buyers.  

Sanders, with his injury, is useless to a team looking for deadline help.  We don’t have the cap space to absorb the Cox or Johnson dead hits.

Slay might have a little value.

Archived