EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

Hurts is now 25th in QBR, 19th in Adjusted yards per attempt.

The only successful young QBs:  Burrow, Mahomes, Murray, Allen, Hebert, Jackson

Wentz, 16, 22

Mayfield 27, 14

M Jones 18, 21

Tua 19, 26

D Jones 23, 23

Darnold 24, 28

Lawrence 29, 27

Goff 30, 29

Wilson 32, 31

Fields 33, 33

Hurts may drive some posters crazy, but he's been as effective as most of the QBs taken in the 1st round the last half dozen years.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edge players possibly available for trade, with their pass rush win rate…

Emmanuel Ogbah: 15.1% (43rd)
Dawuane Smoot: 18.9% (18th)
Charles Harris: 20% (15th)
Derek Barnett: 14.1% (46th)
Clelin Ferrell: 10.9% (87th)

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Wentz, 16, 22

Mayfield 27, 14

M Jones 18, 21

Tua 19, 26

D Jones 23, 23

Darnold 24, 28

Lawrence 29, 27

Goff 30, 29

Wilson 32, 31

Fields 33, 33

Hurts may drive some posters crazy, but he's been as effective as most of the QBs taken in the 1st round the last half dozen years.

Scouting QBs off a spreadsheet is a complete waste of time. 

48 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Herbert coming to town. 

Yeah, he’s terrible. I’d take him over are stiff.

What the F is EPA AND CPOE?

Is that like ERA and WHIP?

8 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Wentz, 16, 22

Mayfield 27, 14

M Jones 18, 21

Tua 19, 26

D Jones 23, 23

Darnold 24, 28

Lawrence 29, 27

Goff 30, 29

Wilson 32, 31

Fields 33, 33

Oh boy... QBR.  That's the best measure of a QB.   Of course, it gives points for running ability, which is not a sustainable attribute of a QB, and should not be used as a measurement of a young QB's growth.  

Some alternative measures: 

• Missed receivers.
  • Throwing to covered receivers when another one is all alone.
  • His throw chart that illustrates that only about 1/6th of the field is actually being seen by him when he's in the pocket.  Outside the right hash, and anywhere from -5 to about 20 yards from the LOS.  That's it.  The rest of the field is becoming a wasteland, and more concerning, he's regressing in that area, not getting better. 
  • He's consistently leaving a perfectly good pocket, he's not just escaping when he has to, but doing it constantly.  

This isn't about aggregate stats, but about watching the games and seeing the regression, the limited view and the literally running in circles within the pocket that we've seen repeatedly (I'd add, a QB can't run around in a literal circle of a collapsed pocket, only in a sound pocket... and we've seen it multiple times... and when he has his back to the field, that's not a good thing for finding targets down field.)

5 minutes ago, Casey @ Bat said:

Yeah, he’s terrible. I’d take him over are stiff.

What the F is EPA AND CPOE?

Is that like ERA and WHIP?

I think you need to call your physician if one of them lasts for more than four hours.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Quite the opposite. The Mahomes luck has finally run out. He's made so many throws that you shouldnt make. across the body, across the field, triple coverage, left handed. no look, it's finally catching up to him and he leads the league in INT's and doesnt seem like anything will change. 

I’d take my chances with him on the Eagles. 

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Oh boy... QBR.  That's the best measure of a QB.   Of course, it gives points for running ability, which is not a sustainable attribute of a QB, and should not be used as a measurement of a young QB's growth.  

Some alternative measures: 

• Missed receivers.
  • Throwing to covered receivers when another one is all alone.
  • His throw chart that illustrates that only about 1/6th of the field is actually being seen by him when he's in the pocket.  Outside the right hash, and anywhere from -5 to about 20 yards from the LOS.  That's it.  The rest of the field is becoming a wasteland, and more concerning, he's regressing in that area, not getting better. 
  • He's consistently leaving a perfectly good pocket, he's not just escaping when he has to, but doing it constantly.  

This isn't about aggregate stats, but about watching the games and seeing the regression, the limited view and the literally running in circles within the pocket that we've seen repeatedly (I'd add, a QB can't run around in a literal circle of a collapsed pocket, only in a sound pocket... and we've seen it multiple times... and when he has his back to the field, that's not a good thing for finding targets down field.)

The bolded is where we are at WIth Hurts development, or lack there of. 

look, I am all for rooting for young players to improve etc... but I seriously question one's motives after watching Hurts play, and still having belief he can be a starting Caliber NFL QB, let alone ever be in the top 15?   

I mean ...sure, some people live in an idelaistic utopian dream world, but at some point, dont even the dreamers look at the reality and say, "nah that was a pipedream, time to move on?"

Just now, Casey @ Bat said:

I’d take my chances with him on the Eagles. 

Ditto. 

16 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Wentz, 16, 22

Mayfield 27, 14

M Jones 18, 21

Tua 19, 26

D Jones 23, 23

Darnold 24, 28

Lawrence 29, 27

Goff 30, 29

Wilson 32, 31

Fields 33, 33

Honestly, so what?  All those QBs stink now so the measure is he is just as bad as the other bad QBs, not worse?  He is obviously liked by his teammates, seems like a good person, but he is a low level starting QB.  It's not a knock on him, just the way it is.  He is basically like the Eagles LBs.

6 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Honestly, so what?  All those QBs stink now so the measure is he is just as bad as the other bad QBs, not worse?  He is obviously liked by his teammates, seems like a good person, but he is a low level starting QB.  It's not a knock on him, just the way it is.  He is basically like the Eagles LBs.

Wow... harsh criticism, bro.

Part of the Chiefs issue is Wentzitis. Mahomes is throwing a lot of passes to one player (Hill) as he trusts him to get open and be productive and teams keying on on it.  That and the luck they had with side arm passes etc has probably regressed to the norm, so it shows more than other teams who aren't so successful. 

And in all honesty.  The Chiefs have spent a few season sniffing their own taint and you can see a level of entitlement in that team.

Wow, I wish I could be the 25th best at something and be considered a success.

2 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Wow, I wish I could be the 25th best at something and be considered a success.

Being 25th can be good... but being bottom 25% is bad.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Being 25th can be good... but being bottom 25% is bad.

Very true. I guess being the 25th richest would be a success, but when you are 25/32 you can easily be replaced.

13 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Part of the Chiefs issue is Wentzitis. Mahomes is throwing a lot of passes to one player (Hill) as he trusts him to get open and be productive and teams keying on on it. 

Cooper Kupp has as many targets as Hill.  Why isn't Stafford struggling ??

31 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Gaints should beat the Eagles. Eagles are really bad. - All the Giants fans and probably most of the country

Lol you were in here last week saying the Falcons and Lions would beat us. Seems like we can crush the crappiest teams, we'll hang tough and beat some below average teams (Carolina/San Fran), and we'll get crushed by good teams. The Giants are in the Lions/Falcons territory. 

9 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Kelce's  tied for 6th in the league in targets

The O that runs through Hill and Kelce will get game planned, and esp when Kelce is understandably not the player he once was.

9 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Sounds like both the source and solution to all our problems…

I think this speaks volumes as to what Gannon wants to do on defense and to what Sirianni’s short passing game with focus on YAC is designed to attack.  Occasionally throw deep keep those Ss high.  Need to run the ball though. Like to see a more mixed approach.  

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I dont think anyone saw that Lions game coming. 

But sure man, go ahead and think this team is average. Not gonna argue over opinions

You clearly have no comprehension at all. My post would clearly indicate I think we are a below average team, but not a bottom of the barrel team. And if you aren't arguing over opinions, what the hell are you doing here? 

Also someone named Chris Trapasso of CBS Sports is reporting Washington and Buffalo are working on a deal to trade Mitch Trubisky.

31 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Part of the Chiefs issue is Wentzitis. Mahomes is throwing a lot of passes to one player (Hill) as he trusts him to get open and be productive and teams keying on on it.  That and the luck they had with side arm passes etc has probably regressed to the norm, so it shows more than other teams who aren't so successful. 

And in all honesty.  The Chiefs have spent a few season sniffing their own taint and you can see a level of entitlement in that team.

It also seems like Travis Kelce is past his prime. He’s still good, but not the dominant force of 2019.

28 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

I haven't watched a lot of Chiefs this year, but it looks to me like Mahomes is forcing too much instead of taking what is there.  Defenses are trying to make them go 5-10 yards at a time down the field and take away the huge chunk plays.  It was easy against the Eagles because we play so much zone; other teams are making it tougher. 

Mahomes has thrown 10 INT already in 8 games.  Turnovers will keep inferior teams in games against you.  

I'm starting to think that the bottom third of the first round and the second round are the sweet spots of the upcoming draft. Lot's of good DBs and DEs to be had in that range. In addition, there are intriguing OL and LBs. I would like the Eagles to trade at least one of their top picks for at least a first and second this year and a future first.

13 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

It’s weird how quickly media & fans have turned on the guy though

I haven't noticed anyone turn on him. He's still the league's new golden boy and a media darling. It seems like he will get a very long leash. People are recognizing that he isn't playing up to his standards, but I really haven't heard anyone question whether he's elite.

17 minutes ago, SB52 said:

It also seems like Travis Kelce is past his prime. He’s still good, but not the dominant force of 2019.

He has "lost a step" so to speak.  He's still very good, but not elite.

16 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I haven't watched a lot of Chiefs this year, but it looks to me like Mahomes is forcing too much instead of taking what is there.  Defenses are trying to make them go 5-10 yards at a time down the field and take away the huge chunk plays.  It was easy against the Eagles because we play so much zone; other teams are making it tougher. 

Mahomes has thrown 10 INT already in 8 games.  Turnovers will keep inferior teams in games against you.  

There is an element of Mahomes not taking what is there; he's forcing throws, extending plays in a Wentzian manner and it's not coming off.  As you say, there is little patience and little trust in other players.  The lack of skill position depth under Kelce/Hill is apparent.

Archived