EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

17 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

ya thats what it is. 

Riverboat Ron blows as a coach

They havent had a real QB in decades

Snyder may be the worst owner in all of sports let alone the NFL

But yea... those 5 days between away games really did them in lol. 

Redskins have had more team names(end up being 3) then they do playoff wins in the last 30 years(2)

Where did I say they were a good team? They aren't. But giving up 56 points in the biggest blowout in series history? Yeah Tuesday probably had a little to do with it. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Lol playing against bad teams for the past month is going to help Gannon get HC interviews

BIlls OC was a big name in the offseason. Wonder if there's still interest after their season

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Realistic question... Is there anyone in the playoffs you think the Eagles can beat? 

MAYBE* the Cardinals if they keep on this downward swing.... but thats about it

Eh San Fran we could beat, we just likely wouldn't get to the point where we'd play them (nor them to us). 

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

as far as those guys, take Jonathan Gannon....

no really, take Jonathan Gannon. please. 

43 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

Hurts’ problem of not seeing the field is compounded by his average-at-best arm strength. If you lock onto a WR and then don’t zip a pass in there with perfect placement, you give a defender too much time to react. 

results in missed opportunities, picks, and also exposing your WRs to vulnerable hits. 

and those flaws aren’t improving and likely won’t. 

im sure coaches in every level of football have tried to correct and then gotten comfortable with his scrambling ability to more than make up for those deficiencies. But in the NfL that overcompensation simply is t good enough. 

He’s about 6’ as it is.  And then he crouches down in the shotgun to compound the problem.  We all know the look of the way he crouches into a ball pre snap.  He can’t see over the OL from that level and certainly isn’t bothering to look at anything.

15 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Realistic question... Is there anyone in the playoffs you think the Eagles can beat? 

nope, 

19 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The thing with this QB draft is that the ones available when we pick have better upside than Hurts and we gain back 2 years of rookie contract play. Just because it isn't loaded with high 1st round picks doesn't mean it is completely bereft of talent that can help our team.  Maybe, this is the year where QBs are drafted correctly (versus overdrafted).  Just imagine what Siri and this system can do with a QB that can see the whole field and make the throws. 

I think that's fair and you make a good point about gaining 2 years back of a rookie contract. But at the same time you have to believe that the rookie can play at the same level as Hurts has done this year. Now I'm not suggesting Hurts has played at a high high level but he's played well in a number of games and his run ability opens things up. I'm not sure any of the rookies could perform at that level simply because they are rookies. I guess Pickett could but I'm not sold on him in terms of his ceiling. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think that's fair and you make a good point about gaining 2 years back of a rookie contract. But at the same time you have to believe that the rookie can play at the same level as Hurts has done this year. Now I'm not suggesting Hurts has played at a high high level but he's played well in a number of games and his run ability opens things up. I'm not sure any of the rookies could perform at that level simply because they are rookies. I guess Pickett could but I'm not sold on him in terms of his ceiling. 

If the coaches are willing to accommodate the new guy with as simple an offense as Hurts is running, with a good running backbone, then yes, I think a rookie could play at this level.  Frankly, not seeing the field and locking onto WRs is a common rookie issue until the game slows down.  I think we'd get more of that to start with the hopes that there's an upside beyond that not too far ahead.

Just now, purplefiggy said:

If the coaches are willing to accommodate the new guy with as simple an offense as Hurts is running, with a good running backbone, then yes, I think a rookie could play at this level.  Frankly, not seeing the field and locking onto WRs is a common rookie issue until the game slows down.  I think we'd get more of that to start with the hopes that there's an upside beyond that not too far ahead.

You may well be right yes... But a part of the run game and the success of that run game has been Hurts. His ability to run creates openings for others as well as for himself. 

7 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Every team that will be in the playoffs has had at least one bad game so far. That can also (and likely will) happen in a playoff game. At the end of the year there is only one winner. 

The Eagles' best chance is for Hurts to be fully healthy. It seemed to me he re-aggravated his ankle early yesterday and avoided running with the ball most of the game. The best strategy for us in the postseason when matched against a stronger (on paper) opponent (which should be everybody else in the playoffs), is ball control --- attempting to limit the total plays, keep the defense fresh, the score low (in case we fall behind) and create impatience in the other team's offense (hopefully forcing mistakes).  In 2004, the Eagles were rolling offensively until they played the Steelers. Our strategy has to be similar to what Pittsburgh did vs us that year. 

That's what this team does best when Hurts is healthy. This isn't the 2017 team by any stretch of the imagination, but nobody gave us a shot to win any of those playoff games that year with all our key injuries. Being pessimistic is fun (I guess), but even if this team is far from perfect, those other teams aren't anything close to perfection either. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I disagree.   His running ability and inability to throw deep causes defenses that are paying attention to stack the box and that actually closes things up in the areas where he throws the most.   The Giants have the blueprint.  

You may well be right yes... But a part of the run game and the success of that run game has been Hurts. His ability to run creates openings for others as well as for himself. 

Honestly, the o-line has been a much bigger part imo. Run game still did pretty good Sunday with a hobbled Hurts

Frankly, I think he can play well enough to compete with what Hurts has done.  Siri can clearly scheme players open and I'd bet he doesn't want to depend on the QB run dynamic (none of his past suggests he likes that). It may take another developmental year, but I can't see any path that leads us to great success either this year or next...so why not reset the QB clock with a QB that plays the game as Siri wants.  

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No.  I put the numbers out there last week... the RB rushing numbers pretty much are the same with Hurts or in the one game with Minshew.  The running game has been successful because of the OL creating holes.  Hurts' impact is far smaller than most people realize because he adds his own rushing stats which inflate the totals, but a QB that can throw the ball off play action would be just as successful, even as a rookie, as Hurts has been... as long as he takes care of the ball.  Minshew had no trouble (yes, against the Jets, but its not like the defenses Hurts has been matching up with recently are the '85 Bears) - and the running game was just fine... as was the passing game.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The ability to see and hit open receivers does that, as well.   I'd suggest that chunk plays are more valuable than grinding down the field.

3 minutes ago, greend said:

Honestly, the o-line has been a much bigger part imo. Run game still did pretty good Sunday with a hobbled Hurts

Run game also did just fine when Minshew started, it didn't miss a beat at all. The Hurts opens the run game is a false narrative. 

Let's say we get in the playoffs, but Hurts gets....hurt and can't go. Do we have a better chance of winning a game with Minshew at that point? 

28 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

@RememberTheKoy said they can beat anyone in the NFL if they play 4 good quarters.

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Let's say we get in the playoffs, but Hurts gets....hurt and can't go. Do we have a better chance of winning a game with Minshew at that point? 

I wouldn't think their chances would be any worse.

47 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Hurts didn't play like crap... look at the box score...  STATZZZ!   🤓

Ben Simmons-esque. 

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I'd say no. Keep in mind that Sanders just broke his hand and Howard has a stinger again. While Minshew could easily pass 50 times if he has to, if we aren't running the ball and controlling the clock, our defense will be exposed. 

28 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

as far as those guys, take Jonathan Gannon....

no really, take Jonathan Gannon. please. 

How bad would Steve Nelson and others look with Schwartz still here. Gannon hasn’t been awful. 

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

@RememberTheKoy said they can beat anyone in the NFL if they play 4 good quarters.

Well that's probably true. But it never seems to happen

Archived