EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Another completely wasted week IMO

Does anyone doubt that we win that game by 30+ if Minshew starts?

The only way to enjoy Eagles football right now is just turn your brain off and enjoy the sporting event just as an athletic competition.

Clearly, Hurts isnt the answer.  We're wasting our time waiting for him to develop, and playing him with even a slight injury to his ankle is peak idiocy.   He doesn't give us the best chance to win.  At some point we have to ask "what are we doing?"

I think 6 of 1 half dozen of another.  neither QB on the team now is "the answer" so might as well continue gathering data points on Hurts to leave no doubt when they sit down after the season and evaluate.

I prefer watching the team with Minshew, but neither is all that inspiring

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I'm glad they've finally been feeding Smith the past couple games. More targets

They havent been

This will never happen with Hurts.  Ever.  Not with Smith, not with Goedert, not with anyone.

Hurts doesnt function at that level as a QB.  The play is called and he decides at that time who hes probably going to throw to.  When he sees the defense, maybe he changes his mind, but probably not.

So unless Sirianni starts calling Jalen Reagor type plays for Smith, he'll never get the ball "fed" to him because that would require Hurts to progress through reads, work matchups, and then deliver a ball down field.

16 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Surprisingly, the Eagles would match up best against GB.  The Packers run defense is absolutely atrocious and CLE gashed them repeatedly yesterday.  

Not saying the Eagles would be favored at all, but there's a good chance they would keep the game close -- plus Rodgers always implodes at some point in the playoffs.

Stafford is also rounding into late-season form with his 3 INT yesterday (should have been 5); I'd take a playoff matchup against him as well. 

GB actually has the least potent offense of the top five teams.  Although, right now, Arizona has fallen off from their early season pace.

Most likely scenario is that GB is #1, Arizona is #5, and we get to watch Brady/Dak/Stafford carve up our defense.

3 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

They havent been

This will never happen with Hurts.  Ever.  Not with Smith, not with Goedert, not with anyone.

Hurts doesnt function at that level as a QB.  The play is called and he decides at that time who hes probably going to throw to.  When he sees the defense, maybe he changes his mind, but probably not.

So unless Sirianni starts calling Jalen Reagor type plays for Smith, he'll never get the ball "fed" to him because that would require Hurts to progress through reads, work matchups, and then deliver a ball down field.

That's kinda backwards.  Going through progressions actually "unfeeds" the ball to Smith.  You feed him by making him the first read.

They fed the ball to Smith on his TD.  He was the first and only read on that play.  

Sorry for the interruption.  You can go back to your ranting.

4 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

They havent been

ummm, whoever is the first read on plays could easily be "fed" the football. Why couldn't that be Smith?

I'd point out that Herbert and Staley lost to Houston in a must win game. Guess Herbert isn't a franchise QB? And that makes Sirianni the best rookie HC?

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

Legit question. If you asked 32 owners, 32 HC's and 32 OC's how many would pick Hurts over Herbert? 

Only 1 owner would take Hurts......unfortunately for us.....that's ours. 

32 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

This we can agree on.  I don’t take this blog seriously anymore and haven’t for some time now.  

If you ever came here to take things seriously, you’ve been doing it wrong.

5 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I'd point out that Herbert and Staley lost to Houston in a must win game. Guess Herbert isn't a franchise QB? And that makes Sirianni the best rookie HC?

I agree. 

Sirianni may have been the best hire this cycle.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Funny thing is, no one takes him seriously either.

1 hour ago, purplefiggy said:

If the coaches are willing to accommodate the new guy with as simple an offense as Hurts is running, with a good running backbone, then yes, I think a rookie could play at this level.  Frankly, not seeing the field and locking onto WRs is a common rookie issue until the game slows down.  I think we'd get more of that to start with the hopes that there's an upside beyond that not too far ahead.

Not only is it common, but it takes a few years to develop field vision if a QB comes out of college programs that are one read systems (which is practically every college team these days, name the colleges that run a pro style offense like Stanford used to do). Which is why when you draft a QB, expect a couple years of struggling unless you're really lucky.

Hurts has 18 starts, not exactly a career quite yet. He's up and down, but nothing close to most of the QBs drafted the last 3-4 years.

Just watch how Foles does so much better with the same team where Fields looks like dog crap. And we know Foles really isn't a starting caliber NFL QB.

Who cares if they win a playoff game? Heck, even if they lose out to NO, playing for a PO spot in January is great for player development - for young players, it's where they learn what it means to play in big games with a lot at stake.

We're rebuilding, we have 9 picks in the first five rounds, including 3 1st rd picks. Having this kind of season with a new HC is great.

We know they need to upgrade, whether players improving or adding young blood, but this is a good foundation to start from.

8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Only 1 owner would take Hurts......unfortunately for us.....that's ours. 

Over Herbert?  No.   Please don't be hyperbolic.

We are looking at four trips to the playoffs over five seasons.  And you can argue that being the last WC isn't much to brag about.  But half the league would kill for that kind of track record.  I know that this falls on deaf ears with the Championship-or-Bust crowd, but meaningful games in December and January is what most of us want.  It's an entertainment industry.

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Indeed. 👀

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Not only is it common, but it takes a few years to develop field vision if a QB comes out of college programs that are one read systems (which is practically every college team these days, name the colleges that run a pro style offense like Stanford used to do). Which is why when you draft a QB, expect a couple years of struggling unless you're really lucky.

Hurts has 18 starts, not exactly a career quite yet. He's up and down, but nothing close to most of the QBs drafted the last 3-4 years.

Just watch how Foles does so much better with the same team where Fields looks like dog crap. And we know Foles really isn't a starting caliber NFL QB.

yes, but I think there's a difference between needing the game to slow down (say Foles) and not having ever had that skill at any level (Hurts).  For the typical rookie/young QB, it's adjusting to the speed and complexity of the NFL, but you've seen that ability at lower levels.

Hurts has never had that based on what I've seen and scouting reports.

Can he learn it?  At this point I doubt it.  And I don't want to waste a couple of years on hoping that is a correctable flaw.

14 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

That's kinda backwards.  Going through progressions actually "unfeeds" the ball to Smith.  You feed him by making him the first read.

They fed the ball to Smith on his TD.  He was the first and only read on that play.  

Sorry for the interruption.  You can go back to your ranting.

A good QB will identify a mismatch presnap and go to that matchup.  Hurts will never do that because hes clueless. This is why we keep having guys standing wide open in the end zone but Hurts misses them because of some nonsense

The fact that he offered up some technical response for why he missed Goedert wide open, without a man within 10 yards of him in any direction is ridiculous. And the fact that people defend it is mind numbing.

They are not feeding Smith the ball, at all. His targets havent moved, at all.

7 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

miserable no. factual and level headed, yes. 

Oh no, I see a lot of misery and complaining over a 24 point win that has moved us up into the 7th seed with 2 games left. 

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Over Herbert?  No.   Please don't be hyperbolic.

We are looking at four trips to the playoffs over five seasons.  And you can argue that being the last WC isn't much to brag about.  But half the league would kill for that kind of track record.  I know that this falls on deaf ears with the Championship-or-Bust crowd, but meaningful games in December and January is what most of us want.  It's an entertainment industry.

Haha yes it was a bit tongue in cheek, but Lowie has erased a lot of trust. I agree, I'm happy we're in a playoff race and our recent success has been good despite the prevalent negativity. This offseason will be critical for us, with all that draft capital, a draft that looks to have a lot of defensive talent, and our need for said talent, we have to get it right. 

So far, Smith, Dickerson and Gainwell look to be good picks. 

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

If it takes a few years to develop a QB, and you know about that ahead of time, that QB damn well better have some extraordinary attributes or skills that would make it worth while.

Hurts doesnt.  So we're basically just pissing away games to find out if he can reach his ceiling of "pretty good"

Yay

The Giants would not have beaten the Penn Quakers yesterday. 

8 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Even Lurie isnt that dumb. With reports how Howie/Lurie looking into Zach Wilson, Watson, Russ Wilson, I think they know theres better options out there. 

In fact, i think if you gave both them truth serum  they'd want Wentz back over Hurts

They wanted to keep Wentz but Wentz didn't want to play here and forced his way out. 

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Oh no, I see a lot of misery and complaining over a 24 point win that has moved us up into the 7th seed with 2 games left. 

kind of a Pollyanna approach, no?  If you strip everything else away other than raw stats, yeah, everything is perfect.  but at least for me, I want more.

1 minute ago, Mike31mt said:

If it takes a few years to develop a QB, and you know about that ahead of time, that QB damn well better have some extraordinary attributes or skills that would make it worth while.

Hurts doesnt.  So we're basically just pissing away games to find out if he can reach his ceiling of "pretty good"

Yay

I mean, Hurts sucks as a passer, but he is an excellent runner

Archived