EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'd say no. Keep in mind that Sanders just broke his hand and Howard has a stinger again. While Minshew could easily pass 50 times if he has to, if we aren't running the ball and controlling the clock, our defense will be exposed. 

Scott, Kenny G, and any other jabroni they could pick up now would be just fine. The key to the playoffs if we get there will be the health of the o-line. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Run game also did just fine when Minshew started, it didn't miss a beat at all. The Hurts opens the run game is a false narrative. 

Nah... it's real.  They did fine with Minshew overall if you just look back at the box score,  but there was an entire quarter or more that it was running in to a brick wall.   there's more room when you have a running QB. It's easier to stop when you don't. 

4 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'd say no. Keep in mind that Sanders just broke his hand and Howard has a stinger again. While Minshew could easily pass 50 times if he has to, if we aren't running the ball and controlling the clock, our defense will be exposed. 

Sure... and Hurts' ankle was tweaked in the last game too.  He ran only twice for 7 yards.  When was the last time he ran only twice?  

16 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The Giants have the blueprint.  

The same Giants that the offense just scored 27 points against with another 7 points coming from the defense.  Must not be a very good blueprint. 

18 minutes ago, Casey @ Bat said:

How bad would Steve Nelson and others look with Schwartz still here. Gannon hasn’t been awful. 

that was mostly meant to be a joke, but I do wonder if his lack of aggressiveness is his preferred style or a product if his current players

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Nah... it's real.  They did fine with Minshew overall if you just look back at the box score,  but there was an entire quarter or more that it was running in to a brick wall.   there's more room when you have a running QB. It's easier to stop when you don't. 

You mean the game the RBs ran 36 times for 174 yards? I'll take a 4.83 ypc every game. And if they were running into a brick wall for a quarter or more, how do you explain the rest of the game? 

3 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

The same Giants that the offense just scored 27 points against with another 7 points coming from the defense.  Must not be a very good blueprint. 

Yes, the one that benefitted from a short field on back to back possessions from a turnover and then a ST return... 

the offense put together two real drives for points yesterday.  and that's the same Giants' defense that held them to 7 points last game.  So, 6 straight quarters against that defense, and the Eagles' O put up 10 points total.   But, sure, focus on the last two quarters when their offensive ineptitude finally became too much for their defense to buoy any longer.    And the Eagles' O was gifted short fields... and then the Giants finally gave up after it was 13-3.  Their defense knew their offense wasn't going to score.

5 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

that was mostly meant to be a joke, but I do wonder if his less of aggressiveness is his preferred style or a product if his current players

My bad, I’m a little slow. We are lacking from a defensive talent stand point IMO. 

Please let Miles and Jordan be OK.   Boston and Kenny G going to have to step up huge if they are out.    

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I wouldn't think their chances would be any worse.

they would have a much better chance with minshew, but I dont think with minshew they can beat anyone in the playoffs, with hurts they'll get blown out, as soon as the eagles get behind, and they think they have to pass to get back into it, then its over, thats why I believe dallas will beat the snot out of them when they play, whether they play their starters or not

12 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

that was mostly meant to be a joke, but I do wonder if his less of aggressiveness is his preferred style or a product if his current players

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  He has kept the scores low against bad teams... he's been exposed against good QBs.  Is it him being exposed though, or the lack of talent?   We'll find out soon enough, I guess.

4 minutes ago, KINGnabb said:

Please let Miles and Jordan be OK.   Boston and Kenny G going to have to step up huge if they are out.    

Who is saxophonist Kenny G?

7 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Well, they held the Eagles O to 3 points (so in 6 QTRs they only allowed 10 points vs the Eagles O to that point) until the INT and PR gave them great field position to put 10 points on the board.  They had to go a total of 23 yards (and it took them 8 plays to do it) for those 10 points. 

After that the VaGiants D pretty much gave up since their O sucked ass so bad so the Eagles had 2 more TD drives on O.  When you add some context to the equation it's not as cut & dry as it seems.  One could make the argument that if not for the INT and instead if they punt it and the Eagles have to start at their own 30 or deeper and have another frustrating drive on O that the game continues to play out like the rubbish we saw in the 1st half. 

Their blueprint to frustrate Hurts and force him into mistakes is sound, just the circumstances didn't allow them to keep doing it.  If any DC has half a brain he'd do what they did to Hurts and when facing teams in the playoffs they'll make him look even worse than the NYG did because they'll have a much better O that we'll have to keep pace with and it will get ugly up until they just start playing prevent D.

14 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

:unsure:

Gannon has supposedly been anointed a future HC already. No big loss here.

I think my bottom line is that at this point, with Hurts, if we face a good offense, we are likely to get behind early and then get the doors blown off of us as we have to rely on his ability to pass to get us back into a game.

Against the crappy teams we've been playing, we have the luxury of time to string together enough good plays and to rely on the running game.

Against good teams, I think that all goes away.

5 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Their blueprint to frustrate Hurts and force him into mistakes is sound, just the circumstances didn't allow them to keep doing it.  If any DC has half a brain he'd do what they did to Hurts and when facing teams in the playoffs they'll make him look even worse than the NYG did because they'll have a much better O that we'll have to keep pace with and it will get ugly up until they just start playing prevent D.

And they forced two 'turnover-worthy' plays out of Hurts on the first two drives of the game.  Was just a continuation of their first meeting, until halftime when their own offense and ST betrayed them.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

And they forced two 'turnover-worthy' plays out of Hurts on the first two drives of the game.  Was just a continuation of their first meeting, until halftime when their own offense and ST betrayed them.

There's very little chance this team wins a track meet shootout in a playoff game.  This team needs to keep it a ONE score game and still have ability to run the football.  Our D has been better the 2nd half of the season, but they've also played more dreck QBs and Os than they did in the 1st half.  I still don't trust them to even contain a good QB/O. 

Do what the NYG did and mush rush him and if you have a good S who can play CF then you'll have some chances at INTs thrown into double coverage.  Murder by numbers, 1, 2, 3.  It's as easy to learn as your A, B, Cs.

24 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yes, the one that benefitted from a short field on back to back possessions from a turnover and then a ST return... 

the offense put together two real drives for points yesterday.  and that's the same Giants' defense that held them to 7 points last game.  So, 6 straight quarters against that defense, and the Eagles' O put up 10 points total.   But, sure, focus on the last two quarters when their offensive ineptitude finally became too much for their defense to buoy any longer.    And the Eagles' O was gifted short fields... and then the Giants finally gave up after it was 13-3.  Their defense knew their offense wasn't going to score.

Last time I checked the game was played for 4 quarters so yes, the 3rd and 4th quarters count. 

8 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I think it’s possible the Eagles have the 7 seed clinched going into week 18

It is.

To do so, they need three things to happen:

1. Eagles beat Washington
2. Green Bay beats Minnesota
3a. New Orleans loses its Week 17 game to Carolina OR
3b. New Orleans loses its Week 16 game to Miami AND San Francisco beats Houston

That's from the Athletic. 

15 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Well, they held the Eagles O to 3 points (so in 6 QTRs they only allowed 10 points vs the Eagles O to that point) until the INT and PR gave them great field position to put 10 points on the board.  They had to go a total of 23 yards (and it took them 8 plays to do it) for those 10 points. 

After that the VaGiants D pretty much gave up since their O sucked ass so bad so the Eagles had 2 more TD drives on O.  When you add some context to the equation it's not as cut & dry as it seems.  One could make the argument that if not for the INT and instead if they punt it and the Eagles have to start at their own 30 or deeper and have another frustrating drive on O that the game continues to play out like the rubbish we saw in the 1st half. 

Maybe. Maybe not.  But this so called Giant’s "blueprint” got an F yesterday, considering they were blown out. 

27 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

You mean the game the RBs ran 36 times for 174 yards? I'll take a 4.83 ypc every game. And if they were running into a brick wall for a quarter or more, how do you explain the rest of the game? 

I said it still worked.  But if you have a very clear recollection of the game,  it was much more congested.  There wasn't as much room.  And Sanders had a great game but didn't finish.  Howard became less effective as the game went on.  His ypc dropped by over a full yard throughout the game. 

With a running QB there are highways to run through.  With Minshew there were tiny creases that the RBs found. 

This stuff was covered in here ad nauseum after that game. 

Just now, Ace Nova said:

Last time I checked the game was played for 4 quarters so yes, the 3rd and 4th quarters count. 

Yes, they count.  Very good.   And against a complete team, the Giants clearly are not, the defensive strategy put in place by their defense is the blueprint to stop this offense.   Not sure how that's a complicated idea.  The Giants held this team in check for 6 straight quarters with a fragmented offense to complement them.  Now... fast forward that to a playoff game... the only hope this team would have against a defense willing to play that way, is a Covid outbreak for the opposition.

Archived