EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mike31mt said:

You guys are so cute with your fanboihood of our average QB

He was dog ish yesterday

Did I say he was great?  I am just challenging your notion that he is horrible.

His decision-making and arm strength are liabilities.  If the former improves, the latter becomes less of an issue.

His ability to run is an asset.  He doesn't have to be as good as Lamar.  But he poses a sufficient threat to alter the way we are defended.

We are winning with him, not because of him.

It's not the ish-show you want it to be.

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

His decision-making and arm strength are liabilities.  If the former improves, the latter becomes less of an issue.

His ability to run is an asset.  He doesn't have to be as good as Lamar.  But he poses a sufficient threat to alter the way we are defended.

Well said and well thought out post.  And I think most level headed fans feel this way about Hurts.  Most aren’t anointing him "the guy” just yet, most think the "jury is still out” on him.  That said, the guy has clearly improved and is leading his team to wins.   Unfortunately most "Hurts haters” are too blind (or angry for whatever reason) to see it. 

Giants:  Jones #6-2019, Lauletta #108-2018, Webb #87-2017,

Wash:  Haskin #15-2019, RGIII #1-2012, with Cousins, Smith and Keenum in-between.

You can do a lot worse than Hurts.

7 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

The problem is we’re winning against terrible teams. 

My issue is that it seems the script is now out there how to beat us. NY did it twice on D and if they had an even decent offense they’d probably win 2 times. Stack the box against us with 7-8 guys, eliminate the run at all costs, and force hurts to beat you with his arm. When that’s happened he’s been "inconsistent” at Best even though the plays have been clearly out there to be made. Do we really think we’d be able to beat any of the playoff teams if they did that? 

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

Hurts is an excellent runner, he's not super fast, but neither are most top RBs. Hurts is definitely shifty, far more than say Fields, but it's more subtle than Lamar, he is hard to line up for a hit in the open field, and he is very strong, and can run through arm tackles. You don't put up the kind of yards he has if you're not an excellent runner (volume and ypr).

This ish is laughable.  This is just a sport for you at this point, this is a fun little past time like being an amateur film critic or wine taster, for you to try and play devils advocate and see how far you can take it--Im not even sure youre trying to convince us or yourself anymore.

You put up the type of numbers he does when you run the ball 132 f'ing times as a QB.  This isnt special. He runs the ball almost 10 times per game.  He has 5 less runs than Miles Sanders for crying out loud.  

6 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I dont think I said he was horrible nor did you say he was great

The team isnt a ish show now.  That comes next year if the Eagles continue painting themselves into a corner and make him our guy

Im pretty sure I predicted 9-10 wins so I knew what this team was.   They are carrying our below average QB and somehow you all are fooled

6 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Well said and well thought out post.  And I think most level headed fans feel this way about Hurts.  Most aren’t anointing him "the guy” just yet, most think the "jury is still out” on him.  That said, the guy has clearly improved and is leading his team to wins.   Unfortunately most "Hurts haters” are too blind (or angry for whatever reason) to see it. 

Yeah everyone who disagrees with you is just a hater.  Thats it

Not the fact that our QB played like utter trash and the team carried him to a 20+ pt win.

This team is developing into a competitor everywhere but QB.

15 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

How many teams need a QB in this not great QB draft?

A lot

Steelers

Texans (unless they are sold on Mills)

Broncos

Redskins

Giants

Lions

Panthers

And of course our Eagles. Hurts is not the future. But he might still be our only option come 2022 for another year

Possible add ons

Browns (Mayfield on last year of deal and is crap)

Seahawks (if they move Wilson)

Raiders (prob not)

Vikings (prob not)

Another topic.   This was a clean hit.  Should be no flag, but as usual the result rather than the action is what they call.   

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

A lot

Steelers

Texans (unless they are sold on Mills)

Broncos

Redskins

Giants

Lions

Panthers

Possible add ons

Browns (Mayfield on last year of deal and is crap)

Seahawks (if they move Wilson)

Raiders (prob not)

Vikings (prob not)

Texans would be stupid to move on from Mills now. Giants have said Jones is the guy next year already (could be a smoke screen, but unlikely). Lions I think will roll with Goff again, they have too many other needs to address. 

11 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

I'd rather play the Cardinals.  Ugh.  I do not want to play Brady in the first round.  The good news is that the Bucs are banged up, so maybe we would have a chance?

Patriots - Bills would be fun to watch.  Colts - Bengals also would be fun to watch.  

1 hour ago, Mike31mt said:

They havent been

This will never happen with Hurts.  Ever.  Not with Smith, not with Goedert, not with anyone.

Hurts doesnt function at that level as a QB.  The play is called and he decides at that time who hes probably going to throw to.  When he sees the defense, maybe he changes his mind, but probably not.

So unless Sirianni starts calling Jalen Reagor type plays for Smith, he'll never get the ball "fed" to him because that would require Hurts to progress through reads, work matchups, and then deliver a ball down field.

Maybe I should've said targeting Smith. It's been better the last 2 games compared to the previous games. I could only imagine where he would be with a qb throwing to him instead of a rb

34 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Because unless you want Reagor and Smith to change roles, Hurts isnt able to do that.

Reagor and a running back are the only ones Hurts can "feed" the ball to.  Anyone else requires timing and accuracy on passes longer than 25 feet.

Bro, you are not making any sense here. Reagor is rarely targeted anyways. 

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I'd rather play the Cardinals.  Ugh.  I do not want to play Brady in the first round.  The good news is that the Bucs are banged up, so maybe we would have a chance?

Patriots - Bills would be fun to watch.  Colts - Bengals also would be fun to watch.  

Bucs are banged up , 10 starters out yesterday , 57% of their offense was out , I think they hope to have everyone back except for Godwin .

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Another topic.   This was a clean hit.  Should be no flag, but as usual the result rather than the action is what they call.   

Yeah, I saw that, too.   McCain didn't lead with his helmet, it was a good form tackle with his shoulders.  The NFL and the Cowboys are complaining that McCain hit Shultz in his the head / neck.

I think it's BS, too.  Dak put his receiver in a position to get absolutely leveled, and somehow that's the defenders fault.   Throw better passes.

I was starting to warm up to the idea of Carson Strong in the draft... but with him backing out of the bowl game, that bothers me a bit.  I get the reason for it, but don't like it.  I think he should play in that bowl game and try to raise his draft stock by balling out, but instead he's choosing to back out and avoid injury.  

28 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

No hes not.

Hes not fast, hes not shifty.  Hes just big and runs a lot.  Hes a compiler.

Anything you write about Hurts is completely written off if you can't see any of his positives. What's the point of a conversation if you won't even acknowledge that he is a good runner? It doesn't mean I want him as our QB (because that position requires a good thrower), but you said the only reason he should be allowed time to develop is if he had some other skill to compensate with while he learned. He has that skill, and it's running. I don't think he'll be able to transition into a good passer. But, let's say he was a statue in the pocket. You think he'd still be playing if he couldn't run at all? He likely would never have been drafted. 

It's ok to admit what he does well. It's not an endorsement of him for our future at QB. 

22 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Wow that seals it, hes a great runner for faking out a 300 lb lineman

Hes also holds the NFL record for number of circles run within a clean pocket at 2.5. 

:roll:

The numbers made Hurts look better than the eye test in yesterday's game. Bad fumble. Off-target throws. Got bailed out by Quez on the long play. Practice squad QB play on the other side took the pressure off him. Hard to feel good about this one.

18 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Even with a shorthand Bucs team, Eagles will get smacked 

Eagles should be able to make a game of it with the Bucs. They almost came back and won that game in Thursday Night. 

Just now, EricAllenPick6 said:

Yeah, I saw that, too.   McCain didn't lead with his helmet, it was a good form tackle with his shoulders.  The NFL and the Cowboys are complaining that McCain hit Shultz in his the head / neck.

I think it's BS, too.  Dak put his receiver in a position to get absolutely leveled, and somehow that's the defenders fault.   Throw better passes.

Cowboys have no complaint.   They shouldn't have been throwing the ball in that situation anyway.  It was already a massacre and they were just trying to run the score up on the Washingteam.  Gotta expect them to be a little put off by that and hit with as much ferocity as they could muster.  But, that was a great hit and would have been used as coaching film 15 years ago.  That was perfectly timed, with the shoulder, to the chest.  Can't do it much better than that.

Archived