EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, NCiggles said:

I don't know if it's the NCAA rules.  I thought it was because the Bruins were down to 2 d-linemen.  I haven't heard whether the Covid positive players could have returned and were asymptomatic. 

I know the barstool Arizona bowl got canceled. Sucks for the city cause it’s brings nice revenue in especially since the big gem show we have was cut down in half this year and it didn’t happen in 2020. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I kind of think they are in by end of Sunday night. I think the niners will beat the Texans in a low scoring game and cause it’s in SF. I also see the packers destroying the Vikings knowing what they have at stake. It really comes down to the eagles beating Washington imo. Washington might be packing it in with the losses last week and really nothing left to play for. Maybe they come out and want to play spoiler but i can see that team rolling over and dying tbh. 

@LeanMeanGM WF Heineken 18 Eagles 7 with 3 missed field goals by the kickers. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

That tweet came out December 22nd, and I did the math in the Hurts thread. When you remove defensive TD's, actual offensive PPG is 

1.  Colts 32.5 PPG

2. Chargers 28 PPG

3.  Bucs 27.8 PPG

4.  Bills 26.7 PPG

5.  Rams 26.5 PPG

6.  Bengals 26.3 PPG

7.  49ers 26.28 PPG

8.  Vikings 26.1 PPG

9.  Patriots 25 PPG

10.  Chiefs 24.83 PPG

11.  Eagles 24.8 PPG ( removing the Minshew game, seeing as this was about Hurts )

Once again, you post a tweet that is false, and the try and say I am coming up with arbitrary points.  I posted the facts, you posted lies.

Given a field goal difference between the Eagles and those other teams (except the Colts), and the Eagles run the ball more than almost any other team (which suppresses scoring), hard to say offense is an issue with Hurts. Just score baby!

As far as upgrading, sure, except for one problem - there's a reason 22 teams are looking for a top ten QB - because they don't have one !

When you account for the whole package, Hurts is a #15-20 level guy, with a lot more upside than guys who've been starting for 4 or 5 years.

You can draft someone in the top 15, but the odds are that QB prospect has about a 1/3 chance of being better than Hurts, and you'll have to wait 3 years to find out. If he's just as good, you struggled for two years to end up the same place while passing over a probable starting player - and if he's worse, you just took a step backward for 3 years.

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

@LeanMeanGM WF Heineken 18 Eagles 7 with 3 missed field goals by the kickers. 

@LeanMeanGM

23-17 Eagles

prediction: we clinch a playoff spot that night. And i yell at cowboys fans that they suck while at the bar. 

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

No where near the same level of pure athletic talent.  For that matter, very few NFL players can really compete with Randall purely based on athleticism... 

Yup and when it came down to it in the playoffs good defenses were able to neutralize him and force him to pass and he wasn't a sharp enough pure passer to get it done, in 6 playoff games with the eagles he had 3 tds and 6 ints and one win, his first against the saints.☹️

If hurts can't be a consistent threat as a passer the formula the eagles are using to win games has never shown to be able to win Superbowls.

I doubt this will be the year that changes.

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Yup and when it came down to it in the playoffs good defenses were able to neutralize him and force him to pass and he wasn't a sharp enough pure passer to get it done, in 6 playoff games with the eagles he had 3 tds and 6 ints and one win, his first against the saints.☹️

If hurts can't be a consistent threat as a passer the formula the eagles are using to win games has never shown to be able to win Superbowls.

I doubt this will be the year that changes.

Having a running game to count on is a step in the right direction, but the QB needs to be able to throw off play action consistently to really make that work.

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

Yup I agree, I don't think the success of the running game is solely due to jalen, I think it's due to Stoutland and the O line.

The only point I was trying to make is that DEs are staying home on an RPO whether it's hurts or Minshew or flacco, difference is that when the DE Doesnt stay home hurts has the ability to get a bigger chunk play than say Minshew, yet still the DE is staying home in Minshew as well because that's what he's coached to do.

A DE staying home on an RPO by hurts isn't a product of hurts it's a product of the RPO that's what the purpose of the design of the play is to freeze the DE.

I'm not sure that the numbers support your premise.

Opponent QB Carries QB Yards QB YPC
Lions 7 71 10.1
Chargers 10 62 6.2
Broncos 14 53 3.8
Saints 18 69 3.8
Giants 8 77 9.6
Jets 4 11 2.8
Washington 8 38 4.8
Giants 2 7 3.5

... and the RB production suffered a YPC dip as well

Opponent RB Carries RB Yards RB YPC
Lions 39 165 4.2
Chargers 29 114 3.9
Broncos 26 161 6.2
Saints 32 173 5.4
Giants 25 131 5.2
Jets 37 174 4.7
Washington 33 200 6.1
Giants 28 123 4.4

1 minute ago, mattwill said:

I'm not sure that the numbers support your premise.

Opponent QB Runs QB Run Yards QB YPR
Lions 7 71 10.1
Chargers 10 62 6.2
Broncos 14 53 3.8
Saints 18 69 3.8
Giants 8 77 9.6
Jets 4 11 2.8
Washington 8 38 4.8
Giants 2 7 3.5

I think the above stats show what I said In another post that Hurts has the ability to make a DE pay when the DE doesn't stay home more so than say Minshew would, also how many of the above qb runs by hurts were runs on RPOs or designed qb runs vs runs where he just took off on a passing play?

Maybe I should be more specific and say I don't think hurts being a threat to run on RPOS is a leading factor on the success of the running game by the RBs.

The DEs are staying home on RPOs whether it hurts or Minshew difference is hurts has more chance to break off a chunk play but him simply having him vs Minshew on the rpo doesn't play a significant role in whether or not the RB has a bigger hole on the give as the DE is staying home on hurts or Minshew, the success if that give is determined more by the proper read by the ab and the o line executing their blocks IMO

1 hour ago, Moderator6 said:

Another reminder on reporting posts.  Guys, you all report each other a lot.  This place is like a sports bar, quit reporting every little thing.  Use some sense.  Especially when you all go at each other and report each other.  Grow up, have some thick skin.  It's the internet there's going to be some trash talk. At the same time, if you're replying to every football related post with an insult take it easy this isn't RnR.  Use some sense.

Revisit the pinned guidelines.  By all means report posts you think cross the line.

This is like the anti-reddit. I love it.

8 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Lions 39 165 4.2
Chargers 29 114 3.9
Broncos 26 161 6.2
Saints 32 173 5.4
Giants 25 131 5.2
Jets 37 174 4.7
Washington 33 200 6.1
Giants 28 123 4.4

Meh... 4.7 with Minshew... 5.05 average with Hurts.  Passing game was far more effective in that game as well.  

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Never understood the Reddit thing.  Seems like a mess compared to this platform.  

You can get deep into all the myriad of topics, but now their only benefit is that people are on it. Being so centrally commanded in what they will dictate in terms of topics, etc, its like a totalitarian digital society. 

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It’s already a 1st, sport.  

Yeah no sht, the point is if the colts miss the playoffs. Next time I'll spell it out for you slowly. 

12 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Lions 39 165 4.2
Chargers 29 114 3.9
Broncos 26 161 6.2
Saints 32 173 5.4
Giants 25 131 5.2
Jets 37 174 4.7
Washington 33 200 6.1
Giants 28 123 4.4

While true 1 game isn't much to go on, but yeah point taken.

Dies having hurts in at Qb positively effect the running game, sure, does it effect it enough to make that much more of a difference???

Maybe at the goal line and 3rd and 1 but other than that I'd say probably not. 

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Never understood the Reddit thing.  Seems like a mess compared to this platform.  

It is a mess.

But don't call it names or I'll report you.

31 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Ok Davey.

More Menace than Crockett. 

32 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Heck even Randall had a ton of arm talent.

He wasn't the most accurate but he could sling it, I'm mean this is a guy who threw for almost 3500 yards and 30 tds at 58% clip which was good for back then without an o line or a running game against the beasts of the east week in and week out.

Hurts has no where near the arm talent Randall did and Randall was a better runner as well 

It's hard to compare the accuracy of passers between the eras.  I always thought of Randall as fairly accurate but not  able to read defenses.

The reason teams were able to neutralize Cunningham was Buddy Ryan simply ignored the offense and didn't give him a lot of talent to work with, especially the OL.

In the 2015 playoffs with Minnesota, he put up 41 and 27 points, threw for 5 TDs and 1 Int at 35 years old.

33 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I know the barstool Arizona bowl got canceled. Sucks for the city cause it’s brings nice revenue in especially since the big gem show we have was cut down in half this year and it didn’t happen in 2020. 

At this point, I am not sure what a football game is going to impact in terms of spread.  I think the only factor should be the eligibility of the players to return.  

Just now, NCiggles said:

More Menace than Crockett. 

It's hard to compare the accuracy of passers between the eras.  I always thought of Randall as fairly accurate but not  able to read defenses.

Yup, when ones whole offense is predicated on the QB making 5 big plays to win one doesn't need to know how to read a defense 

If the NFL were backyard football drawing up plays in the sand Randall probably wins multiple super bowls as it's not he won 0 ☹️

4 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Anyone think the Jags will hire Doug?

Supposedly they interviewed him and Jim Caldwell so far.

If I were Doug, would I want to coach the Jags? That team has a history and it ain't pretty.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Well that's not promising in terms of Howard's availability.  

Archived