EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, Swoop said:

It's been pretty much universally accepted that Foles can't be a starter in this league because he isn't good or consistent enough. Given that he had an amazing game and won us our only Super Bowl, by largely passing the ball, let's take a look: 

Sincerely, without being full of crap, how many of these throws could Hurts make? Three?

How many receptions could Hurts make?

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Swoop said:

You can't acknowledge Minshew played well or that the backs did just fine despite being beaten up. It was the Jets. Stop being a Minshew homer for a second.

You want to talk about a real gauntlet? How about Goff, Siemien, Bridgewater, Fromm, Covid football team. 

Now those were some really challenging opponents.

But when you place Minshew's play in games other than the Jets, it is clear that he still has been better than Hurts thus far.

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

And?  We've seen them stress tested... and they've given up 80% completions to those teams.  Not much more to be seen there, they need massive changes in personnel on the defensive side.  One game won't change that, even if they do look improved against a playoff opponent... and only give up 65%, or even 60%.  I want to see Minshew, and for the remainder of the season, not because of him, but because he would allow Sirianni to run his offense, which is all the more I need to see this year to feel that I have a sense for the team as a whole.

Just as Siriani has adjusted his Offense, Gannon has adjusted his Defense ... less zone, more aggressive, Wilson replaced by Edwards, upward progression of rookie contribution, improved play of Cox, less stellar play from Hargrave.  None of those adjustments have been stress tested.

20 minutes ago, mattwill said:

The posters in here have moaned over and over and over again that the team (1) can't beat the good teams, and (2) can't stop the better QBs. And it is a legitimate point ... one that they have not been able to put to the test.  I agree with you that the coaches have enough data points on Hurts.  The quality of opponents hasn't been an impediment to getting meaningful data on him the way it has been with getting meaningful data on the Defense.  So for me there is no "next question" and a Playoff game gives the coaches an opportunity to se what they have on Defense when that Defense is "stress tested." 

Oh yeah, I want a playoff game. Let the D get exposed. We need to use our 1st round picks on the D. Let’s be sure that happens. 

53 minutes ago, downundermike said:

See above

Name the last Super Bowl Champion that didn't have a top 10 defense in at least one category. The offense is at least an above average offense by most metrics.  They can score against any defense but they can't stop any decent QB.  

45 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Actually this is false.  If you take away the Minshew game, and the defensive TD's, Eagles are not even top 10 in PPG since week 8.  I covered this extensively in the Jalen Hurts thread.

And as my post above proved, 75% of the time teams winning in the playoffs score 30+ PPG

I mean they are averaging more than 3 offensive TDs over the last 8 games.  I think that's not bad.  

33 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I don’t disagree hurts helps the running game out. However if i put Justin herbert out there i think the running game would be fantastic as well.  teams would have to respect the vertical passing game more and that likely would open up big holes and not allow teams to bring guys into the box. (I think come playoffs teams will continue to not respect the passing game and try (probably fail) to shut down the run game and force us to throw.) Ultimately would allow for a great running game.

I just disagree with the notion that the running game is largely having the success it is cause of hurts. I think the running game would be good-great regardless unless are QB was completely useless like mine McMahon. i think different QBs whom aren’t considered running QBs and better passers could also have the success we are having now 

Yup I agree, I don't think the success of the running game is solely due to jalen, I think it's due to Stoutland and the O line.

The only point I was trying to make is that DEs are staying home on an RPO whether it's hurts or Minshew or flacco, difference is that when the DE Doesnt stay home hurts has the ability to get a bigger chunk play than say Minshew, yet still the DE is staying home in Minshew as well because that's what he's coached to do.

A DE staying home on an RPO by hurts isn't a product of hurts it's a product of the RPO that's what the purpose of the design of the play is to freeze the DE.

8 minutes ago, greend said:

Since it's a paid site I will never know his analysis 

It starts with talking about Madden, because everyone but me has played it.  Then mentioned no QB can see the entire field, because apparently (my add on)-    
 Nick Foles at 6’6” and  5’10” Russel Wilson have seen the same exact plays unfolding before their eyes every single time.  
 My poorly written paragraph describes his first two or three, poorly written sentences, meaning his article isn’t worth a F.  

17 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Only one team in the NFL is averaging at least 30 PPG (Dallas) so I guess by your (il)logic they will be the only team that will be able to win a playoff game. 

That points per game number for the offense is false. When you take away all the defensive scores it’s actually 24 points per game

30 minutes ago, Swoop said:

It's been pretty much universally accepted that Foles can't be a starter in this league because he isn't good or consistent enough. Given that he had an amazing game and won us our only Super Bowl, by largely passing the ball, let's take a look: 

Sincerely, without being full of crap, how many of these throws could Hurts make? Three?

As great as the rest of the team was that year, the eagles aren’t winning that super bowl unless wentz plays the way he did for 13 weeks and foles plays like an nfl mvp for 2.5 games. even with how great that team was without those two playing at that level they did, the eagles don’t win that super bowl. Heck foles was terrible against a bad raiders team and we barely won that game on Christmas night. 

I’d point out foles’ arm was never the question with him even coming out. He had a good arm at Arizona it was his sporadic up and down play even dating back to Arizona and his senior year. 

25 minutes ago, Swoop said:

4 maybe 5 tops.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That points per game number for the offense is false. When you take away all the defensive scores it’s actually 24 points per game

So the defense is scoring an average of 5 points per game?  Didn't know that.  That's pretty good when your defense can get almost a TD per game themselves. 

24 minutes ago, mattwill said:

See embedded comments in bold above.

Minshew is a traditional QB... just not a top 15 type.   But, he'd absolutely be a top 20 statistically if given that opportunity.  

As for whether or not an offense built around a running QB can work in the NFL... please point to the team that has had sustainable success that way.  I posit that not one can be found.  Maybe you know of one.

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

As great as the rest of the team was that year, the eagles aren’t winning that super bowl unless wentz plays the way he did for 13 weeks and foles plays like an nfl mvp for 2.5 games. even with how great that team was without those two playing at that level they did, the eagles don’t win that super bowl. Heck foles was terrible against a bad raiders team and we barely won that game on Christmas night. 

We will never know and thankfully everything worked out but I still wonder what might have happened if Wentz never got hurt.  Does he finish the deal?  Does he lose in the playoffs or SB?

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So again, by your (il)logic there will actually be no winners of any playoff games this year.  Only one team has averaged at least 30 points per game but if we took out their defensive scores that would also drop to below 30.

You always make up the most arbitrary points and then hold them up high as the most important and only important point. This is just the latest in a long line of those. 

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

So the defense is scoring an average of 5 points per game?  Didn't know that.  That's pretty good when your defense can get almost a TD per game themselves. 

A little skewed their defense is getting tds against the glennon’s, siemian’s of the world. So don’t expect it in the playoffs if they face someone like rodgers or brady. 

Just now, 315Eagles said:

We will never know and thankfully everything worked out but I still wonder what might have happened if Wentz never got hurt.  Does he finish the deal?  Does he lose in the playoffs or SB?

I feel like that would be a great episode for marvel’s what if series lol. 

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

As for whether or not an offense built around a running QB can work in the NFL... please point to the team that has had sustainable success that way.  I posit that not one can be found.  Maybe you know of one.

And by that you mean a QB who just isn’t any good at passing. There have been winning teams with QBs that run well but they also pass well. Guys like Steve Young and Russell Wilson. The QB rushing in those cases is a nice part of the O but it isn’t the most central part. 

3 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Based on his performance through the season to that point, the Eagles win the SB with Wentz as well.  The Eagles were the best team in the NFL from Week 6 onwards that year; it wasn’t as though they just got hot late like some teams do (including the Bucs last season)

The only week in doubt was the Rams game where, had the Eagles lost, they could have dropped to the #3 seed.  Foles won the game in relief but only led two FG drives 

Just now, DrPhilly said:

And by that you mean a QB who just isn’t any good at passing. There have been winning teams with QBs that run well but they also pass well. Guys like Steve Young and Russell Wilson. 

Yes, by that I mean a team that had to build their offense around their QB running the ball to cover up for his passing deficiencies.  Young didn't win anything as a scramble around like a maniac player.  He only won when he went to SF and became a more detail oriented, system disciplined QB who could run when he needed to, but didn't need to run.  Wilson was also a pass first QB, who had escapability, not a guy who had to run, but could run.    And when it comes to 'arm talent', both Young and Wilson are in a completely different league than Hurts.   Night and day.

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

Based on his performance through the season to that point, the Eagles win the SB with Wentz as well.  The Eagles were the best team in the NFL from Week 6 onwards that year; it wasn’t as though they just got hot late like some teams do (including the Bucs last season)

The only week in doubt was the Rams game where, had the Eagles lost, they could have dropped to the #3 seed.  Foles won the game in relief but only led two FG drives 

Actually, when Wentz left the field, the Eagles were winning... so Foles merely did enough to maintain what he had been handed.   But without that last INT that setup the final FG, I doubt the Eagles win that game with Foles in relief.   2017 was a beautiful example of complementary football as well.

The one week that mattered where they looked bad was the Raider game. Otherwise, they were great pretty much all year. 

Just now, DrPhilly said:

The one week that mattered where they looked bad was the Raider game. Otherwise, they were great pretty much all year. 

Yep, and the defense did what was needed to secure the win.

Im looking at RBs. Ive been through the top 7 on TDN's rankings. 

My order so far would be 

1. Walker

2. Charbonnet

3. Haskins

4. Spiller

5. Breece Hall

Im not interested in Kyren Williams. Hes a Boston Scott type.

Badie is intriguing as a 3rd down option due to his extreme speed, but he has no business being  6th overall on a list of RBs. He needs to be ranked in the separate classification of 3rd down backs. 

I dont know why Haskins is 7th on the TDN list. He could arguably be 2nd on my list at this point. However. Charbonnet just looks to be little bit bigger, and a little more dominating. Which says a lot because Haskins runs like Lynch. But,  Charbonnet looks like a Blount clone. Could it be an optical illusion since Charbonnet is running through Pac12 defenders and Haskins is running in the big10? It might be. But I think its real. 

I’d argue that was wentz’s best game that year considering the opponent and how awesome he looked prior to the injury happening. (Int that game was on agholor if i remember correctly) 

guess who the leading receiver was on the rams that day? 

Archived