EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

I don't think anyone has illusions about the teams we beat, anymore than we should have illusions that a 2-5 start against a killer schedule with a new HC and a young QB provided an accurate read on this team. The truth is somewhere inbetween, i.e., their 8-7 record reflects what this team is, slightly above average.

But that is damn good when you're rebuilding, coming off a 4-11-1 season.

They're gradually moving out the veterans, but some will remain b/c they're really good, Lane at 31 is playing at an All Pro level again, which means his ankle is probably back to 100%. Slay is playing at a top level as well. McLeod, Harris, Nelson are likely gone next year, along with Kerrigan. Cox will return, Brooks depending on health (not enough cap gain to cut him if he can play). Graham should bounce back, his game is as much technique and effort as athleticism. That buys time for rookies to learn to play (most rookies emerge the second half of their rookie season or their second season).

Hurts will start until he proves he can't win or they find someone better. Like every team.

The only tradable player is Dillard, who will be in demand b/c LTs who can pass block are hard to find. Teams know he's stuck behind two elite OTs.

I think you may be wrong with respect to Brooks.  According to Spotrac.com for the 2022 season Brooks has $1,564,737 of Signing Bonus still due, $5,040,000 of Option Bonus still due, and $9,132,000 of Restructure Bonus still due.  That totals to $15, 736,474 of Dead Cap if he is released.  At the same time his 2022 Base Salary of $13,400,000 and Workout Bonus of $100,000 will not have to be paid, so the net Cap impact of cutting him is only $2,236,474 of net  Cap Dollars lost.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He's unvaxed. Rules didn't change for them that I saw so its 10 days.

Thank god we locked in that pick already. 

Colts likely will make the playoffs, unless they lose to the Jags.  Even then, quite a few things need to fall in place to knock them out.

Would honestly be hilarious if Colts don't make the playoffs but we still get the pick due to Wentz not getting the shot.

8 minutes ago, mattwill said:

I think you may be wrong with respect to Brooks.  According to Spotrac.com for the 2022 season Brooks has $1,564,737 of Signing Bonus still due, $5,040,000 of Option Bonus still due, and $9,132,000 of Restructure Bonus still due.  That totals to $15, 736,474 of Dead Cap if he is released.  At the same time his 2022 Base Salary of $13,400,000 and Workout Bonus of $100,000 will not have to be paid, so the net Cap impact of cutting him is only $2,236,474 of net  Cap Dollars lost.

They will designate him a post June 1st to spread the cap hit. Wouldn't be surprised either if they did the Alshon trick and restructure his unguaranteed base salary down to minimum for 2022 to temporarily open space and then get more of the pickup June 2nd.

Those option bonuses are also only guaranteed for injury only (which may be why they aren't putting him back out there) and only become fully guaranteed the 3rd day of each league year. 

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I didnt hear Doug got interviewed.

I think they go with Leftwich

10 minutes ago, Damanick10 said:

Would honestly be hilarious if Colts don't make the playoffs but we still get the pick due to Wentz not getting the shot.

OR Phillip Rivers comes back, leads them to the playoffs and wins the Super Bowl.

Honestly that’s probably the best case scenario for Indy that he got popped now and not at or before their playoff game.

48 minutes ago, mattwill said:

2012 Ravens had Joe Flacco and won (and 49ers had Kaepernick)

2006 Bears had Rex Grossman and lost

2003 Panthers had Jake Delhomme and lost

2000 Ravens had Trent Dilfer and won

1991 Washington had Mark Rypien and won

1990 Giants had Jeff Hostetler and won

1987 Washington had Doug Williams and won

You missed the 2002 Bucs. 

1 minute ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Honestly that’s probably the best case scenario for Indy that he got popped now and not at or before their playoff game.

Except I don’t think they clinched anything yet.  

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Not optimistic about the interview if he’s still on the Press Taylor/Cory Undlin plan as his coordinators

25 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I know Hurts going to the Pro Bowl challenges the mind, but how many good QB are there?

Teams with meh at QB:  NYG, WFT, MIN, CHI, DET, ATL, CAR, NO, MIA, NYJ, CLV, PIT, JAX, HOU, LVR, DEN

That's half the league with questionable QB futures.

See my biggest concern isn’t so much being really bad. Cause reality there’s is only one way to go. Some teams get suck there for years but Reality is if you’re stuck in purgatory you’re not winning anything either and there’s just a little hope that you do because you know your team is not good enough.

i fear more getting stuck in purgatory. I look at the Minnesota Vikings as that specific team that’s stuck in a purgatory. Kirk cousins is not a bad quarterback. Kirk cousins is a top 15 quarterback. and if we’re honest with each other the Vikings were one of the last 4 teams remaining in 2017 with case Keenum at quarterback  so that wasn’t some mediocre team when he got there. That team had talent around them to at least get to an NFC title game with case Keenum at quarterback. Kirk cousins is never going to win you anything more than maybe a division title but then when you get to the playoffs he might win a wildcard game and then you’re getting bounced in the divisional round. That’s where you don’t want to be. 

3 minutes ago, greend said:

Redskins 27- Eagles 17

Bonus: Hurts throws a pick 6

Do I mean nothing to you?

49 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I would dare to say that anything from 15 years ago is completely meaningless at this point.

And more importantly, it is not who the QB was in the game, but how they played...and even more importantly... they all played from inside the pocket, something that Hurts has consistently struggled with.  No one is claiming that the QB has to be HoF QB to win the Super Bowl, but that the QB needs to be effective within the pocket, make all the throws... short, deep, middle, left and right.

Given all the rules changes that old school formula is a much tougher road than it used to be. Not impossible but far less likely to happen. 

2 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Except I don’t think they clinched anything yet.  

They’re in if they beat JAX in their last game which Wentz will be back for. 

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Not optimistic about the interview if he’s still on the Press Taylor/Cory Undlin plan as his coordinators

Shad Khan has no idea who Press Taylor is. He might remember who Undlin is. He's on board. 

58 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Then why did the RB's have their second highest yardage when Minshew was the starter ??

The answer is pretty simple if you look closely at the numbers

Opponent RB Carries RB Yards RB YPC
Lions 39 165 4.2
Chargers 29 114 3.9
Broncos 26 161 6.2
Saints 32 173 5.4
Giants 25 131 5.2
Jets 37 174 4.7
Washington 33 200 6.1
Giants 28 123 4.4

6 minutes ago, RLC said:

My favorite part of this piece is when Nguyen off-hand criticizes Reagor's route running...which might have affected the play.

Wasn't mentioned but watching in real time it looks like he's a tick late on the pass also. 

29 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I didnt hear Doug got interviewed.

I think they go with Leftwich

I thought they already did but guess it's coming up soon.

I'd still rather go with Caldwell between the 2.  Hopefully they hire Kellen Moore and get him out of Dallas. 

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Wasn't mentioned but watching in real time it looks like he's a tick late on the pass also. 

mild-shock-shock.gif

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

And ran for 40 more yards than the Jets allow per game.  If this narrative that Hurts makes the run game go, shouldn't the Jets have held the Eagles to less than their average ??

Again the numbers do not lie.  Look at the imact that the Eagles had on their Opponents season average Rushing Yards per game.

Yards Added to
Opponent Team Average
Lions 7.8
Chargers 2.6
Broncos 7.4
Saints 10.4
Giants 5.9
Jets 3.1
Washington 9.6
Giants 0.3

33 minutes ago, greend said:

Redskins 27- Eagles 17

Bonus: Hurts throws a pick 6

Ouch, that’s ugly. WAS might be warming up the tank, as I read Heineken will start but they might put the Sudfeld redux into the game. Could be an elaborate ruse as well.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't believe I need another data point.  I would be more interested in seeing Sirianni's offense with a pure passer at QB... that's where I want to see more data.

58 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Have to agree. If Coach needs more then so be it but I don’t feel like I need more. 

Last time Im checked it is a team game, which is why I said data points in the plural rather than data point (Hurts' performance alone).  For me the Defense is much more suspect against the better QBs than Hurts is suspect against the Defenses of those better QBs' teams.

Archived