MTV’s The Challenge

Agent23

20 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This season has been devoid of actual game play and even politicking has been minimal at best. I think its part new red skull rule part living situation sucks. The idea of having to have a red skull to run the final isn't  bad, and it's good to stop players from coasting to the end in huge alliances like War of the World had. But it feels like it was kind of over correcting.  

it also didn't work in that "okay player x has their red skull, they're going to a final!" as we saw with Jay. A rookie went in and won twice and the other players still said ehh yeah but I think I want my shot at the rookie regardless, throw him in again.. and then that worked which left two red skulls unaccounted for. There are just some parts of this show that are inescapable as much as you'd like to try and enjoy it as "the 5th sport" as much as possible, at the end of the day this is closer to WWE than one of the four major sports, in that behind the scenes politics and production plays a bigger part than we'll ever know and we're only witnessing what story MTV wants to tell. 

7 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

it also didn't work in that "okay player x has their red skull, they're going to a final!" as we saw with Jay. A rookie went in and won twice and the other players still said ehh yeah but I think I want my shot at the rookie regardless, throw him in again.. and then that worked which left two red skulls unaccounted for. There are just some parts of this show that are inescapable as much as you'd like to try and enjoy it as "the 5th sport" as much as possible, at the end of the day this is closer to WWE than one of the four major sports, in that behind the scenes politics and production plays a bigger part than we'll ever know and we're only witnessing what story MTV wants to tell. 

Yep. I just don't like how the last 5 or 6 eliminations are "I want to go in" and everybody says "ok". Like the nominations and tribunal have been completely pointless. 

45 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yep. I just don't like how the last 5 or 6 eliminations are "I want to go in" and everybody says "ok". Like the nominations and tribunal have been completely pointless. 

yeah early on the not wanting to "get any blood on my hands" philosophy (another BB element, despite how much OGs will yell and scream about how this isnt BB!!!11) makes sense.. okay we have volunteers, sure go ahead. I don't want to nominate someone who doesn't want to be in there and then have them come back and now i'm the target. But like you said this entire season has been like that. So hopefully production has monitored that and has it down for a negative in terms of the red skull dynamic. If everyone HAS to go in if they want to win, you're by default cutting down on blindsides and shady alliances/politicking across the board, it seems like. 

6 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

I’d like to see a twist where the house votes someone in, then the tribunal votes someone in.  Those two go at it and the winner gets the Red Skull.  Then, a member from the tribunal can decide if they want to go against the winner.  If they win, they get the red skull.  If they lose, they go home.  Meanwhile, the guy who won the first elimination, if they lose, they stay, but don’t get to keep their red skull.  If they win, maybe they get an advantage of some sort.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 9:34 PM, Agent23 said:

Only way he’s guaranteed in is wining weekly challenge. The house can choose to not vote him in as can the tribunal if those who are left don't want to let a seasoned vet get a shot at a red skull. He had a 50/50 chance versus even if he gets in a tribunal, the other 2 members could still out-vote him. 

I completely understand the risk, but let’s be real with who’s left and who his friends are he has a great shot at tribunal any of the coming weeks and can go against a much weaker opponent. It’s a risk either way and Bananas screwed him, but I with how many tribunals Wes has made, I think he should have risked the wait instead. I’m sure he’d rather still be there hoping to get thrown in instead of losing to Johnny

12 hours ago, homerpat said:

I completely understand the risk, but let’s be real with who’s left and who his friends are he has a great shot at tribunal any of the coming weeks and can go against a much weaker opponent. It’s a risk either way and Bananas screwed him, but I with how many tribunals Wes has made, I think he should have risked the wait instead. I’m sure he’d rather still be there hoping to get thrown in instead of losing to Johnny

I think its also important to remember that Wes is as much of a "players coach" / producer and contestant as Johnny is. These guys aren't doing this for the $ anymore bc they're going home to it (Wes's 30 companies and monster trucks vs Johnnys endorsements / late late late late night show). So Wes standing there with the choice of give MTV this huge moment of Legend v Legend or stay another week and increase my chances of winning the big money by 4%, he said screw it, let's take part in a moment here. Which if you heard any Johnny interviews over the years is what he credits stealing the money from Sarah to, which is taking part in a moment that people will talk about forever in regards to this show. Yeah the money is nice, but MTV didn't add this stipulation just for nobody to cash in on it. They put the loaded gun in his hand, he just pulled the trigger/whatever metaphor you wanna use there. Bc he thinks about this in terms of production, not just season by season gameplay. As does Wes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JBENT87 said:

I think its also important to remember that Wes is as much of a "players coach" / producer and contestant as Johnny is. These guys aren't doing this for the $ anymore bc they're going home to it (Wes's 30 companies and monster trucks vs Johnnys endorsements / late late late late night show). So Wes standing there with the choice of give MTV this huge moment of Legend v Legend or stay another week and increase my chances of winning the big money by 4%, he said screw it, let's take part in a moment here. Which if you heard any Johnny interviews over the years is what he credits stealing the money from Sarah to, which is taking part in a moment that people will talk about forever in regards to this show. Yeah the money is nice, but MTV didn't add this stipulation just for nobody to cash in on it. They put the loaded gun in his hand, he just pulled the trigger/whatever metaphor you wanna use there. Bc he thinks about this in terms of production, not just season by season gameplay. As does Wes. 

Agreed. There's definitely a few like Bananas, Wes, CT, Zach etc who are just coasting now. They show up and try, but nowhere near to the extent they did in years past. They also are probably compensated far more than any of the newbs too. Winning the whole thing likely takes a back seat. 

3 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Agreed. There's definitely a few like Bananas, Wes, CT, Zach etc who are just coasting now. They show up and try, but nowhere near to the extent they did in years past. They also are probably compensated far more than any of the newbs too. Winning the whole thing likely takes a back seat. 

yeah it wasn't really until this season with Jenna where I started thinking about how the regulars like you said are content to just show up and get their appearance fees, while also doing enough and being productive with what they contribute to the show, to still get the call for next/future seasons. Which is why Jenna was struggling with the decision to leave so much. TJ isn't the only one who doesn't like quitters, casting is going to be annoyed with that too and will keep it in mind for future seasons. Also another reason why Zach is so stupid. 

On 5/20/2020 at 9:44 AM, paco said:

Ever since we went on lockdown and they started these contests and sim sports, I've been filling out every possible line up.  I'm up about $20 bucks.  (It also made watching "Bachelor: Listen to your heart" more bearable :lol: )

Part of me is thinking "I'm bankrolling for when the NFL season starts" and the other part of me is thinking "Is my time really worth 25 cents per hour?" :lol: 

Let me know how you do 🙂 

So I don't know why I'm even in this thread (bored?) but your gambling got me interested so I started following it. Every time you were saying "This won be a quarter" I assumed you meant 25 dollars and I thought "Man, he's cleaning up with this nonsense". Then I get to this post and not only are you wasting your time for 25 cents, you've also wasted mine. Thanks a lot.

I also have a nice chunk of change for the NFL season. I LOVE the deals Draft Kings puts out there. Fan Duel's app is better.

Just now, Paul852 said:

So I don't know why I'm even in this thread (bored) but your gambling got me interested so I started following it. Every time you were saying "This won be a quarter" I assumed you meant 25 dollars and I thought "Man, he's cleaning up with this nonsense". Then I get to this post and not only are you wasting your time for 25 cents, you've also wasted mine. Thanks a lot.

I also have a nice chunk of change for the NFL season. I LOVE the deals Draft Kings puts out there. Fan Duel's app is better.

You're welcome!

Also, my grind has me up $24 in my bankroll for when the season actually starts :lol: 

1 minute ago, paco said:

You're welcome!

Also, my grind has me up $24 in my bankroll for when the season actually starts :lol: 

The SB really got me up big but I've just sat back since and waited for the apps to offer "Sure wins" and banked. You know the ones I'm talking about: "Every 100 people who bet on the Sixers will move the spread 1 point". Ended up having the Sixers +45 or something like that. :lol:

• Like 1

Looks like Dee got fired

Dee Nguyen fired from MTV’s ‘The Challenge’ after Black Lives Matter feud with castmates

Dee Nguyen has been fired from MTV sports reality show "The Challenge” after making insensitive comments about the Black Lives Matter movement.

Nguyen, featured in the ongoing season, got into a spat with her social media followers after she posted about "Black Out Tuesday” last week. According to The Ashley, one person responded, "Wake up! People are dying.”

Nguyen, 27, reportedly responded, "People die every f–king day. U don’t know me or what I do. I suggest you wake the f–k up and get off social media.” She then added, "IDK why some of you think I’m anti-BLM. I’ve been saying that since the day I lost my virginity.”

The situation deteriorated from there, with Nguyen feuding with black castmates Bayleigh Dayton and Chris Williams. The married couple accused Nguyen of using the movement "for clout” by trying to turn the developments gripping the nation into a reality TV storyline.

Williams, who goes by Swaggy C, claimed Dee texted him: "hey make sure you tell Bayleigh to keep me blocked & you still talk bad about me. I’m thinking of storylines for season 36.”

"Everything is not for f–king clout and drama,” Swaggy C continued. "The f–k. CLOWN. I’m bout to air her whole s–t out. Using BLM for clout.”

Nguyen fired back, claiming to be a victim of "cancel culture,” before ultimately apologizing. However, it came too late for MTV, and the cable channel "severed ties” with her, though it will continue to air the current season.

"As a result of Dee Nguyen’s offensive comments on the Black Lives Matter movement, we have severed ties with her,” a statement posted to the official "Challenge” Twitter account reads. "Out of respect for our Challengers, we’ll air our season as planned. We strongly condemn systemic racism and stand with those raising their voices against injustice.”

"The Challenge” is in its 35th season and pits contestants against each other in a series of athletic events, leading to eliminations and eventual champions.

Hey, look at me actually contributing!  

lol right on que w my WWE comparison, in re: to that Dee to Swaggy C text. 

If anyone cares, this is what I did for tonight:

Spoiler

MVP - Bananas
Nelson
Josh
Kaycee

First Name Last Name Salary
Dee N  $    30.00
Nany Gonzales  $    29.00
Johnny Bananas  $    28.00
Jennifer W  $    27.00
Aneesa F  $    26.00
Nelson Thomas  $    25.00
Josh M  $    25.00
Rogan O  $    24.00
Mattie B  $    23.00
Bayleigh Dayton  $    23.00
Cory W  $    22.00
Kaycee Clark  $    22.00
Chris Williams  $    21.00
Melissa R  $    20.00
Kyle C  $    19.00
Faysal Shafaat  $    18.00

As always, I welcome any and all input

Oh, and @Paul852, if I read it right, there is a risk free $7 PGA contest.  Refund you for your first entry that doesn't cash (so... do one entry I guess)

3 minutes ago, paco said:

If anyone cares, this is what I did for tonight:

Reveal hidden contents

MVP - Bananas
Nelson
Josh
Kaycee

First Name Last Name Salary
Dee N  $    30.00
Nany Gonzales  $    29.00
Johnny Bananas  $    28.00
Jennifer W  $    27.00
Aneesa F  $    26.00
Nelson Thomas  $    25.00
Josh M  $    25.00
Rogan O  $    24.00
Mattie B  $    23.00
Bayleigh Dayton  $    23.00
Cory W  $    22.00
Kaycee Clark  $    22.00
Chris Williams  $    21.00
Melissa R  $    20.00
Kyle C  $    19.00
Faysal Shafaat  $    18.00

As always, I welcome any and all input

Oh, and @Paul852, if I read it right, there is a risk free $7 PGA contest.  Refund you for your first entry that doesn't cash (so... do one entry I guess)

What app are you using?

11 minutes ago, Paul852 said:

What app are you using?

FanDuel

3 minutes ago, paco said:

FanDuel

Cool, I will take a look at it. FanDuel is the other one I have but their offers aren't as good as Draft Kings IMO.

Edit: I said that yesterday, didn't I? :lol:

Just now, Paul852 said:

Cool, I will take a look at it. FanDuel is the other one I have but their offers aren't as good as Draft Kings IMO.

I only use it cuz I decided to start doing dailys a few years back and they had a "Deposit up to $100 and get 4x your money back"  promotion.  Little did I know you get it back 4 cents on every dollar.

Ok... sorry for derailing

1 minute ago, paco said:

I only use it cuz I decided to start doing dailys a few years back and they had a "Deposit up to $100 and get 4x your money back"  promotion.  Little did I know you get it back 4 cents on every dollar.

Ok... sorry for derailing

Yep. Nonsense. I've learned to read the fine print.

I have to be honest, didn't think a "MTV Challenge" show would be this popular on a football message board. I used to watch with my ex-girlfriend back in the day but haven't since. Those were the Wes/Kenny feud days.

3 hours ago, Paul852 said:

Yep. Nonsense. I've learned to read the fine print.

I have to be honest, didn't think a "MTV Challenge" show would be this popular on a football message board. I used to watch with my ex-girlfriend back in the day but haven't since. Those were the Wes/Kenny feud days.

It’s huge nationwide really - I’ve been watching since the Miz was on it!  Before his WWE career started

Omg the timing of tonight’s episode is just perfect. It’s beautiful really. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

It’s huge nationwide really - I’ve been watching since the Miz was on it!  Before his WWE career started

Yeah, I remember watching a few seasons with the Miz. It's crazy how huge he looked on the show and how small he looks against other wrestlers. Makes you realize how massive these guys are.

13 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I watched Battle of the Sexes which I think was back in 2003

Obviously the dudes owned it :whistle:

11 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I was guessing this would happen.  Which is why I was surprised to see that Dee had the highest cost on FanDuel.  Suckers