MTV’s The Challenge

Agent23

This was by far the most boring final. Feels like they over corrected and made it more physically demanding, but at the same time was not really fun for the viewer. 

• Like 1

Overall, season was kinda disappointing. Barely any gameplay and drama was all petty stuff. 

• Like 1

makes me wonder if they cut out part of the Final for editing purposes, I know they did that before I think on the season when Ashley stole the money from Hunter. This really seemed like it was all long distance endurance and that's it. With some 6th grade math equations thrown in there. 

For all the hype these guys get for the physical endurance and the injuries they suffered, this "excruciating" final was a bad look. Any of the injuries sustained were bc people don't know how to move on skis. And now you have someone like Bayleigh go home and pride herself as being this crossfit competition show person who outlasted 20 others to make it to the end, where she then tore a ligament or something... and its all bc she couldn't stand up on skis. Just a weird, disappointing end to this season. Can't blame this episode on Dee either.  

I think when you take the elevation effect, mixed in with all the snow, all the desirable, and the verticality of it... this would kick a LOT of people’s arses. It just doesn’t have the visual splendor of some other past ones 

• Like 2

I watched the finale with Mrs HE.

It was friggin stupid. Makes the entire rest of the season feel like a complete waste of time. Arbitrary rules made up as you go like  a 6 year old is running things cheapen the rest of the competition. 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

I think when you take the elevation effect, mixed in with all the snow, all the desirable, and the verticality of it... this would kick a LOT of people’s arses. It just doesn’t have the visual splendor of some other past ones 

yeah they definitely deserve a lot of credit for trecking through snow at high elevation. But usually these things are accompanied with strategic puzzles at the very least to offset/compliment the endurance element. I get that they can't always be somewhere tropical where they can ultimately swim off in the distance to a yacht to collect the prize money to put a nice bow on everything. But the lack of that, combined with the lack of gimmicks included in this finale just left a bad taste in your mouth. There were finals in the past where you got the feel they took place over three days. This one seemed like just a 24 hour peroid that went from noon to noon. Where if you performed well enough in the first 8 hours you slept in a nice warm bed that night, then finished up the last treck fully rested the next day lol. Who knows, maybe these contestants are getting better agents/ some sort of union to represent them that said hey we're not sending these people to the hospital anymore on these events, dial it back.

11 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

yeah they definitely deserve a lot of credit for trecking through snow at high elevation. But usually these things are accompanied with strategic puzzles at the very least to offset/compliment the endurance element. I get that they can't always be somewhere tropical where they can ultimately swim off in the distance to a yacht to collect the prize money to put a nice bow on everything. But the lack of that, combined with the lack of gimmicks included in this finale just left a bad taste in your mouth. There were finals in the past where you got the feel they took place over three days. This one seemed like just a 24 hour peroid that went from noon to noon. Where if you performed well enough in the first 8 hours you slept in a nice warm bed that night, then finished up the last treck fully rested the next day lol. Who knows, maybe these contestants are getting better agents/ some sort of union to represent them that said hey we're not sending these people to the hospital anymore on these events, dial it back.

I mean they got preggo chicks competing now at 17 weeks :lol: 

• Haha 1

Yeah, that was probably the worst challenge season of all time. Low drama due to the way the game was setup. Had to cut what little drama that did occur because Dee said the dreaded ALM phrase. Culminated in easily the most boring finale of all time. I mean, I'm sure it was a grueling final, but it was just so much less epic than what we're accustomed to. No eating challenge or actual puzzle. Just a long walk and a couple math equations. Agree that something must have gotten cut.

16 hours ago, Kz! said:

Yeah, that was probably the worst challenge season of all time. Low drama due to the way the game was setup. Had to cut what little drama that did occur because Dee said the dreaded ALM phrase. Culminated in easily the most boring finale of all time. I mean, I'm sure it was a grueling final, but it was just so much less epic than what we're accustomed to. No eating challenge or actual puzzle. Just a long walk and a couple math equations. Agree that something must have gotten cut.

heard on a podcast/reddit I guess that there was an ax throwing segment that got cut for whatever reason, and the snow really was coming down, which derailed some of their plans and production had to hold them off from going out in it for a little while. Take that as you will :shrugs: 

Jenny looked better without ridiculous lip injections. Who woulda thought. 

23 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Seriously - she’s actually kinda cute now. Went from a 5 at best to a solid 7 or 8 I’d say

I've been watching Rivals II. I miss Emily :sad:

On 7/22/2020 at 10:01 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

I'd guess most people. 

Purchased the MTV Hits package for $7/month from Amazon Prime to start watching older seasons. The bad news is the listings start with Season 13 maybe, but you cant actually start watching until Season 17-18ish, the first 5 or so are just unavailable. First one available to watch is Cutthroat, which goes into Rivals 1 then so on. Seems like The Island/The Duel are some of the older ones not available.

But anyway, good news is because of this I should be able to binge through this pretty fast and then cancel the subscription. So $7/$14 at most for a rewind of 1/2 the shows history is a pretty good deal.

Cutthroat picks up in peak CT villain/physical monster mode, I guess his first season on after beating up Adam, where hes not even a full time cast member, he's brought in as mercenary for the classic Johnny Bananas backpack competition (which he also after this has to do the same to Tyler, Bananas opponent in the Guglag/Jungle/whatever they call it this season. Tyler actually holds his own and lasts longer than Bananas obviously, sending him home - this paves the way to Bananas/Tyler parterning up next season for Rivals 1). But it's funny seeing how CT is public enemy #1, on the next season Rivals with "The Mob" (Bannas, Evan, Kenny and their partners - Tyler, Nehemiah, Wes) just trying to get CT out all season bc he's so dominant. 

But yeah, was cool to revisit these storylines and character arcs at this point at the tail end of The Challenges "Attitude Era" so to speak. 

I own some mid-2010s and later seasons, so I just rewatched and finished Exes, Rivals 2, and Free Agents in the past few days. Finished Exes 2 last night (my first Jenna :wub: season) 

27 minutes ago, Shocker54 said:

When next season? Too lazy to look it up 

never... they were supposed to fly to the next location (I knew it but forgot) in May i want to say, but the rona remains undefeated. 

2 hours ago, Shocker54 said:

When next season? Too lazy to look it up 

was reading about this upcoming season of Big Brother and someone commented saying Challenge was supposed to depart in September, take that with a boulder of salt 

3 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

was reading about this upcoming season of Big Brother and someone commented saying Challenge was supposed to depart in September, take that with a boulder of salt 

Heard the same. They are contacting competitors and told them September, but the dates been changed a few times already. 

Really - the Challenge should be pretty easy for them to film and keep everyone safe.  They're already basically always quarantined - when they do go out, they typically shut down the bar so they're the only ones there.  Test everyone before they travel, boom good to go

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Really - the Challenge should be pretty easy for them to film and keep everyone safe.  They're already basically always quarantined - when they do go out, they typically shut down the bar so they're the only ones there.  Test everyone before they travel, boom good to go

guess the fact that they usually film overseas is something of an issue since nobody wants Americans coming to their countries right now.

Guess the answer to that is to just stay home and film in LA/wherever they did the Pros v Joes seasons... but those were really bad. Probably bc of the Joes, not so much bc of the locations. But whatever.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shocker54 said:

It's going to be forever before they air this

They need the nfl hard knocks editors! 

kinda wild when ya think about the editing process for this... these editors pretty much gotta wait for the entire thing to be finished before they dive in and start picking and choosing what clips they're going to publish, in that they tell the story of that season the best possible way. And ya gotta hope they producers in season who do those confessionals while filming ask the right questions at the time, so it's not just all looking back on the season insight from the contestants, which I'm sure they're required to do a couple hour sit down once it wraps as well, and just mix and match the different insights to tell the best story.

But yeah, would think February at the earliest for this. 

1 hour ago, JBENT87 said:

kinda wild when ya think about the editing process for this... these editors pretty much gotta wait for the entire thing to be finished before they dive in and start picking and choosing what clips they're going to publish, in that they tell the story of that season the best possible way. And ya gotta hope they producers in season who do those confessionals while filming ask the right questions at the time, so it's not just all looking back on the season insight from the contestants, which I'm sure they're required to do a couple hour sit down once it wraps as well, and just mix and match the different insights to tell the best story.

But yeah, would think February at the earliest for this. 

And who knows how many Dee's and Camilla's they will get this year! 

• 2 months later...