Where do you stand on QB for 2022

ManchesterEagle

Where do you stand on QB for 2022  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do at QB in 2022

• Hurts is the guy in 2022 and beyond - I'm convinced.
    • Roll with Hurts in 2022 with Minshew as back-up - see how it plays out.
    • Should be open competition between Hurts and Minshew in TC
    • Minshew should start
    • Trade for Deshaun Watson
    • Trade for Russell Wilson
    • Trade for Aaron Rodgers
    • Trade up in first to get a QB (say who in the comments)
    • Stay put in first to get a QB (say who in comments)
    • Trade a low rounder for Kirk Cousins
    • Sign Teddy Bridgewater
    • Sign another free agent to compete with Hurts/Minshew (say who in comments)

2 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Yall also need to consider center. Will kelce play another season? Do we have his replacement on the roster?

Good point. Same with Brandon Graham. These are top players and won't be easily replaced when they retire.

On 12/30/2021 at 7:27 PM, D-Shiznit said:

Try to trade for one of Wilson/Rodgers/Watson.

I just don't get the thinking, of trading for an old, even if great HOF QB, if the Eagles are (obviously) in rebuild mode.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:20 PM, eaglegenius said:

Good point. Same with Brandon Graham. These are top players and won't be easily replaced when they retire.

With three 1st rd picks in April, I'd be completely shocked if one of those isn't a DE.  I'd guess there is about a 90% chance we take a DE in round 1 (and probably about 50% chance we take 2 DEs by the end of day 2, so another taken in round 2 or 3 if not 2 taken in round 1 which I think is a possibility, depending on how the board falls).  

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 6:06 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Seumalo and or Dickerson can play center. Both are under contract, but the fact the Eagles went out ther way to make sure Kelce kept his record makes me think he might be back. 

I'm sure Jason is having more fun this year than he had last year. I imagine how he feels physically will play a significant role in his decision, he's been playing through injuries. If the Hall is in the back of his mind, another good year certainly wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eglz1 said:

I'm sure Jason is having more fun this year than he had last year. I imagine how he feels physically will play a significant role in his decision, he's been playing through injuries. If the Hall is in the back of his mind, another good year certainly wouldn't hurt.

Kelce will probably get the Peters treatment of basically playing as long as he wants to so he’s probably out there until he’s done with playing. After this season I doubt he’s going to be eager to retire. For the first time in his career the team fully committed to the run and that allowed him to really show off his athleticism. 

On 1/7/2022 at 3:54 PM, Sack that QB said:

If, and I stress if you can get Rodgers/Watson/Wilson how in the world would that be dumb?

I honestly don't know what's gotten into people. You have a chance to add either one of the 3 best QBs in NFL history and current league MVP in Rodgers, one of the best QBs of this generation in Wilson, or a top 6 QB under 27 in Watson and that is "dumb."

If the Eagles had any of those guys currently on the roster, aside from maybe Watson because of his legal issues, and someone started a thread saying "Would you trade Rodgers away for draft picks and Jalen Hurts?" people would think the thread was trolling and it would probably be deleted by mods for trolling. That's how laughable it would be.

If you can add any of those guys, of course you do it. The Eagles would be an instant contender, sans Watson if he gets suspended by Goodell.

I don't know when Eagles fans got so complacent with mediocrity. They have a mediocre QB and a mediocre season and people are cool not pursuing upgrades at the most important position in sports. INSANITY!

It depends on what they give up IMO. I'd love to get any of them but not at a high cost. We have a ton of holes that need filled through the draft

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

It depends on what they give up IMO. I'd love to get any of them but not at a high cost. We have a ton of holes that need filled through the draft

Agreed. I mean I'm not so high on Wilson at this point but look if you offered me any of the better (and older) QBs for a mid round pick then yeah of course that's a no brainer. But the trade cost plus the huge contract is just a no no. Not with this roster that needs an injection of young talent. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I mean I'm not so high on Wilson at this point but look if you offered me any of the better (and older) QBs for a mid round pick then yeah of course that's a no brainer. But the trade cost plus the huge contract is just a no no. Not with this roster that needs an injection of young talent. 

Sunday will give us a pretty good idea of where this team stands. If we can't move the ball, Jalen probably has to go. There's really no excuse - he has a top 5 oline, decent receivers and competent running backs. If the weather isn't horrible, we should be able to put up 350 yards of offense.

I don't expect much from the defense. But the offense has no excuses. Tampa Bay has a mediocre run defense. They don't give up a lot of yards, but their average is 4.3 yards per carry. As a comparison, the Saints give up 3.7 yards a carry, and we ran all over them. So it's not that they stop the run, it's that other teams get behind and have to pass.

So unless the Bucs sell out to stop the run, we shouldn't have an issue running the ball. And if they do sell out, Hurts has to be able to make them pay.

3 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Sunday will give us a pretty good idea of where this team stands. If we can't move the ball, Jalen probably has to go. There's really no excuse - he has a top 5 oline, decent receivers and competent running backs. If the weather isn't horrible, we should be able to put up 350 yards of offense.

I don't expect much from the defense. But the offense has no excuses. Tampa Bay has a mediocre run defense. They don't give up a lot of yards, but their average is 4.3 yards per carry. As a comparison, the Saints give up 3.7 yards a carry, and we ran all over them. So it's not that they stop the run, it's that other teams get behind and have to pass.

So unless the Bucs sell out to stop the run, we shouldn't have an issue running the ball. And if they do sell out, Hurts has to be able to make them pay.

The offense does have an excuse and it’s a big one. They have Jalen Reagor starting at wide receiver. That dude is a complete liability. Still I think this team should be able to run the ball against the Bucs, and I think Hurts is finally completely healthy and should be more effective in the RPO. With all that being the case I wouldn’t put too much into this game either way. I believe the Eagles have already de their choice on Hurts either way. This one game will not matter all that much. This team knows there are a lot of holes to fill. They aren’t a quarterback away from a championship. 

Everyone who wants one of the three available quarterbacks generally are the same people who rip Howie for "kicking the can down the road.” Guess what kiddies? If Howie goes after any of these guys he would have to do massive restructuring of contracts to fit any of these guys under the cap. You can most assuredly expect Howie to have to kick like crazy to give you all what you want. A tired old roster filled with bad contracts and a quarterback who can’t lead them anywhere. 

There is no QB worth drafting. Hurts is a piece of crap. I'd go Minshew next year and if he pulls a miracle stick with him. If he sucks go with rookie in 2023.

10 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

There is no QB worth drafting. Hurts is a piece of crap. I'd go Minshew next year and if he pulls a miracle stick with him. If he sucks go with rookie in 2023.

Minshew?   How about starting the era of Reid Sinnett?

Hurts took the Eagles to the playoffs, after the Eagles had 4 wins the year before in his first season as the primary starter.   That's really good.

And he gets paid nothing.   

Cheaper than almost all other NFL starters.    A Huge advantage.

And effective enough to take the Eagles to the playoffs.

There are a ton of QBs who were drafted in the first round who never took their team to the playoffs.  Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, Trevor Laurence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Josh Rosen, Dwayne Haskins, etc etc. 

Hurts, at this point, has more actual in game playoff experience than Wentz.   Wentz cost many picks to draft, and then cost $30 Million a year.   He has 1 complete pass in the playoffs in his NFL career.

You will find that unless you're talking about Brady and Rodgers and a handful of other veterans,  most QBs don't take their team to the playoffs that often.  Hurts just did.   And he costs nothing. 

Drafting a QB would make sense if the Eagles want a different style QB, namely a more traditional pocket passer who is known for his accuracy. Kenny Pickett would likely require a trade up, but someone like Carson Strong can be had with our last 1st rounder or even in the 2nd round. If we draft a QB, I'd rather not take a chance on someone like Matt Corral or Malik Willis.

Hurts isn’t a volume passer that much has been proven, but everyone knew that when he came out of Oklahoma and since Howie sets the 53 man roster it’s up to him to decide what’s best for this team. 
 No team can rely on mostly running all season and win in the playoffs, the Colts found that out before the playoffs, the Eagles and the Patriots in the playoffs.  Defenses tighten up, and like the Bucs, any team in the playoffs would of stacked the box. 
 At the last press conference Nick needs to be asked why Hurts hasn’t scored in the 1st Quarter since the Saints game, that’s a long time to be that ineffective, and why couldn’t they move the ball today until they were down 31-0 in the 4th quarter.  TB let up obviously but that’s a joke and it’s embarrassing to end the season looking like Michigan vs Georgia. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

@downundermikeShould have just bumped this

You 92 people are insane and should be ashamed of yourselves 

Lol - talk about hyperbole. 

Please tell me your solution for 2022 at QB.

13 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I think the problem is... There's a number of solutions but all come with drawbacks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the problem is... There's a number of solutions but all come with drawbacks.

Agreed. The true answer to me is sign a free agent or let Hurts and Minshew battle it out. 2021 was nice, but this team isn’t ready to play with the big boys. This season was always about building the roster and so is 2022. 2023 is the year to expect them to really be good. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Hurts took the Eagles to the playoffs,

No, he did not.  The Eagles running game and weak schedule in the second half took them to the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Agreed. The true answer to me is sign a free agent or let Hurts and Minshew battle it out. 2021 was nice, but this team isn’t ready to play with the big boys. This season was always about building the roster and so is 2022. 2023 is the year to expect them to really be good. 

I still think by far the best option is Hurts/Minshew for 2022 and build the team. Try and trade back in this draft for a first or second in 2023 so we are in a position to draft a QB in 2023.

16 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I'd absolutely be OK with them signing a stop gap. I guess the issue there is what decent stop gap can you even sign. I mean Carr would be a pretty good option but he is unlikely to sign a short deal. 

42 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

There's plenty of better stopgap QBs until 2023. Not in any order

Draft, Foles, Minshew, Bridgewater, Winston, or Mariota

12 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I still think by far the best option is Hurts/Minshew for 2022 and build the team. Try and trade back in this draft for a first or second in 2023 so we are in a position to draft a QB in 2023.

I mean look I think we have to accept that this team is a long way off and so 2022 is not going to be a year for us to be legit contenders. I go back and forth a lot with Hurts but right now I'm not sure I want to see him starting again next year. But the other options also aren't great. 

8 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

There's plenty of better stopgap QBs until 2023. Not in any order

Draft, Foles, Minshew, Bridgewater, Winston, or Mariota

You serious Clark?  Of the bolded, hell no.  Minshew hasn't earned the right to start, but if they keep Hurts and Minshew next year he can compete. 

• Like 1