Where do you stand on QB for 2022

ManchesterEagle

Where do you stand on QB for 2022  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do at QB in 2022

• Hurts is the guy in 2022 and beyond - I'm convinced.
    • Roll with Hurts in 2022 with Minshew as back-up - see how it plays out.
    • Should be open competition between Hurts and Minshew in TC
    • Minshew should start
    • Trade for Deshaun Watson
    • Trade for Russell Wilson
    • Trade for Aaron Rodgers
    • Trade up in first to get a QB (say who in the comments)
    • Stay put in first to get a QB (say who in comments)
    • Trade a low rounder for Kirk Cousins
    • Sign Teddy Bridgewater
    • Sign another free agent to compete with Hurts/Minshew (say who in comments)

39 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

There's plenty of better stopgap QBs until 2023. Not in any order

Draft, Foles, Minshew, Bridgewater, Winston, or Mariota

38 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean look I think we have to accept that this team is a long way off and so 2022 is not going to be a year for us to be legit contenders. I go back and forth a lot with Hurts but right now I'm not sure I want to see him starting again next year. But the other options also aren't great. 

What good does a stopgap do though? Foles has already refused to come back, so you can pretty much rule him out (although I'd love to see it in some ways).

The others have tried and failed with various teams. They are not going to turn this team into a contender. So why waste the cap room?

Why not roll with Hurts. If he's as bad as you say we lose a couple more games than we would with Bridgewater/Winston etc and have a better draft pick to attack the 2023 draft for a QB. Heck - have an open competition with Minshew in TC if you want, or if he's bad, bench him for Minshew or a 3rd/4th round rookie mid way through the season.

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

Why not roll with Hurts

That's a stop gap... Unless you think he can be the answer which I don't think anyone really does. 

46 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's a stop gap... Unless you think he can be the answer which I don't think anyone really does. 

I still think there is a chance he could be. As did a lot of other people before the Bucs game. I'm not completely changing my opinion because of one game, even though I accept it was a really poor performance.

Check out the post game show on NBC Philly. Listen to Seth Joyner. He in no way loves Hurts, but he speaks sense. (Not directed at you especially UK - but I think you will find it interesting)

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean look I think we have to accept that this team is a long way off and so 2022 is not going to be a year for us to be legit contenders. I go back and forth a lot with Hurts but right now I'm not sure I want to see him starting again next year. But the other options also aren't great. 

Like I said to you yesterday.  The guy that most fits the organization right now is likely Derek Carr.  He's not going to be incredibly expensive in a trade and is a major upgrade over where we are today (low bar, I know).  We could take him and grow Hurts or groom someone else.  He's easily got 3 or 4 really good years left in the tank and can fill the gap while the Eagles find the next QB (maybe in the draft.

You aren't doing this, but the #1 Hurtscuse today is "well, it was only one game."  BS.

52 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You aren't doing this, but the #1 Hurtscuse today is "well, it was only one game."  BS.

I'm not fully out on Hurts but I'm also most definitely not in on him. I have major doubts and you know we have discussed and debated this. But what I will say is this. Every time Hurts has played a good team with a winning record he's lost. Now people can say he beat the Saints and he beat the Broncos... Well neither of those teams made the play offs. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not fully out on Hurts but I'm also most definitely not in on him. I have major doubts and you know we have discussed and debated this. But what I will say is this. Every time Hurts has played a good team with a winning record he's lost. Now people can say he beat the Saints and he beat the Broncos... Well neither of those teams made the play offs. 

Ironically, both teams good enough to make the playoffs, except they have no QB.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd absolutely be OK with them signing a stop gap. I guess the issue there is what decent stop gap can you even sign. I mean Carr would be a pretty good option but he is unlikely to sign a short deal. 

I’d be okay with Foles as a stopgap. If he’s cut he shouldn’t cost too much and that way the team can still field a roster. Paying someone like Carr will still cost multiple years and likely well over 20 mil a year. 

43 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’d be okay with Foles as a stopgap. If he’s cut he shouldn’t cost too much and that way the team can still field a roster. Paying someone like Carr will still cost multiple years and likely well over 20 mil a year. 

Do not want foles back. This teams obsession with him is too much it really is. He's overall not a good QB.

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do not want foles back. This teams obsession with him is too much it really is. He's overall not a good QB.

He’s good as an Eagles quarterback. I’d just rather have a guy on that level over some overpriced guy. Their cap space is atrocious. So many needs all around the team and the Eagles are paying a lot of money to guys who are not even on the roster right now. So much work to be done. I’d rather see this team push the picks to the 2023 draft, and let Mishew and Hurts battle it out. Draft defense and try and sign a WR. 

There's no point bringing in another QB who is just going to be a stop-gap for a few reasons.

• You would have to get rid of Hurts - potential locker room issues
  • Signing a free agent QB would cost more than Hurts' rookie deal, which would be a waste for a temp stop-gap especially with other needs
  • If all you want is a place holder then keep Hurts and Minshew again.  They know the offense

If you're going to make a change at QB only 2 options make sense:

1. Draft
  2. Sign/trade for a proven winner, not a stop-gap or journeyman

If you draft someone, you're giving them their rookie year to learn and potentially compete with Hurts.  If they prefer that young QB over Hurts after/during next season, Hurts will be replaced.  

If you go the sign/trade route then that QB better be good enough to elevate the team and be an accurate passer to get the receivers more targets and read defenses better.  

• Like 1

At this point, I want the team to fix the rest of the team and go with Hurts next season. Hopefully, next years, QB class is better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

He’s good as an Eagles quarterback. I’d just rather have a guy on that level over some overpriced guy. Their cap space is atrocious. So many needs all around the team and the Eagles are paying a lot of money to guys who are not even on the roster right now. So much work to be done. I’d rather see this team push the picks to the 2023 draft, and let Mishew and Hurts battle it out. Draft defense and try and sign a WR. 

Their cap space is atrocious? They have like $30M in cap space before they even make any moves. 

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Their cap space is atrocious? They have like $30M in cap space before they even make any moves. 

That’s not true bud. The Eagles had about 20 mil until they resigned Sweat, Maddox, and Goedert. Now they’re down to about 13 with a ton of dead money still on the books. It doesn’t clean up till about 2023, but they will probably just kick more down the road again.

6F045E9B-7E50-4157-B748-587D94128168.jpeg

6 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I still think by far the best option is Hurts/Minshew for 2022 and build the team. Try and trade back in this draft for a first or second in 2023 so we are in a position to draft a QB in 2023.

It all comes down to what the scouts think about the QBs in the draft. The most hyped prospects aren't always the ones who light up the league on fire. 2017 was thought to be a class lacking elite talent and gave us Mahomes. If they think there is a guy there this year they love such as Pickett or Strong, they should pull the trigger. If not, they don't have to force anything and agree if they aren't drafting a QB this year, they shouldn't use all 3 picks. 

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd absolutely be OK with them signing a stop gap. I guess the issue there is what decent stop gap can you even sign. I mean Carr would be a pretty good option but he is unlikely to sign a short deal. 

Any stopgap you can sign on a short term deal wouldn't represent a meaningful upgrade over Hurts/Minshew e.g. Bridgewater. 

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 7:34 PM, GroundAttack said:

Hurts for 2022. Draft for defense with the 3 first rounders. 

Yeah I like this. 

Devin Lloyd, David Ojabo, Ahmad Gardner -- I know I'm dreaming. 

Then grab the UVA qb in 2023

Foles would actually be an interesting stop-gap. Provided he can stay healthy, which he has only done once in his career I think. Foles has been streaky though and only shown stints of greatness. The rest has been awful.

Jimmy G and Carr would be good options if either were available. I'd bring them in on a 4 year deal and plan on drafting the QB of the future in a year or two. We could also look around for QB's that had down seasons and looking to rebound. Baker Mayfield is probably available. Browns have soured on him. He had an injury plagued year and might be an overall better QB than he showed this year. I'm not sold on Mayfield though, even before his down year this season. Cousins and Matt Ryan may be available, but no thanks. Tua is interesting and he could potentially be available. He is very polarizing though as people think he either sucks or he could be great.

5 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I still think there is a chance he could be. As did a lot of other people before the Bucs game. I'm not completely changing my opinion because of one game, even though I accept it was a really poor performance.

Check out the post game show on NBC Philly. Listen to Seth Joyner. He in no way loves Hurts, but he speaks sense. (Not directed at you especially UK - but I think you will find it interesting)

To me it isn't just one game though. Its recurring issues, the same issues. The issues that were there since Day 1 at Alabama.

He showed some improvement as a passer in a few games towards the end of the year, in particular the two WAS games and 1st half against Denver. But every time you think he is starting to turn the corner, you also get clunkers like the first Giants game, the first half in the second Giants game, yesterday. He's too up and down, the limited offence and missed reads are frustrating. I can't really say I have seen consistent improvement in him as a passer that gives me confidence for next year. Our whole second half was also just really really bad teams so how much was that a factor?  

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

That’s not true bud. The Eagles had about 20 mil until they resigned Sweat, Maddox, and Goedert. Now they’re down to about 13 with a ton of dead money still on the books. It doesn’t clean up till about 2023, but they will probably just kick more down the road again.

6F045E9B-7E50-4157-B748-587D94128168.jpeg

And they are rolling $16M.

15 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Any stopgap you can sign on a short term deal wouldn't represent a meaningful upgrade over Hurts/Minshew e.g. Bridgewater. 

You're probably right there... But a stopgap is a medium ground. It isn't going all in on a QB and it also isn't going with the same QB.

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And they are rolling $16M.

You're probably right there... But a stopgap is a medium ground. It isn't going all in on a QB and it also isn't going with the same QB.

I still don’t think the rollover money is added to their cap number to give them 30 mil. It’s covering the debt they already have.

6E5EDE02-14E6-4A3E-B349-98F3DBCB7C6F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

To me it isn't just one game though. Its recurring issues, the same issues. The issues that were there since Day 1 at Alabama.

He showed some improvement as a passer in a few games towards the end of the year, in particular the two WAS games and 1st half against Denver. But every time you think he is starting to turn the corner, you also get clunkers like the first Giants game, the first half in the second Giants game, yesterday. He's too up and down, the limited offence and missed reads are frustrating. I can't really say I have seen consistent improvement in him as a passer that gives me confidence for next year. Our whole second half was also just really really bad teams so how much was that a factor?  

Yeah look, I can't really argue with a lot of what you say. His best games he generally didn't pass that much. But he was effective within a run first offense. And that first half against Denver, who are a legitimate D, was really promising. But yeah he hasn't put it together on a consistent basis.

I wouldn't be against the Eagles upgrading, but I don't see a realistic option at the moment and I really hope they don't force a QB pick in the first round in what is regarded as a really weak QB draft.

And I'm not saying for you it's who was overly influenced by one game. But the turnaround in the general opinion on this board, where now 75% of posters basically just want to unload Hurts without really considering if there's a workable better option, is not great.

Had the best OL, best running attack, the most time in the pocket...its pretty obvious.

I think we may be a few years from having our best opportunities.   I don't think Rodgers would make the team a sure thing, and could well up causing a wasted year.  

I say just keep investing in Oline and Dline/OLB that will be ready to play in 2024 and 2025.  Start eyeing some free agents due to expire that year and we may be able to sign.  Free up cap room in those years starting now.  I don't see any of the NFC East clearly being competitor in those years.  Giants will be rebuilding this off season, right?  Skins I don't think even know what they want to be called for their team name.  I think Prescott by then would be in decline.  

Coach then just needs to take what he gets next year and do the best he can and he can be rated on that.  We should have our eye on the coaching market in those years, see who is coming up for expiration, but assume Sirianni looks ok and we'll keep going with him barring locker room meltdown or terrible play.

Avoid committing to a QB until a good deal is there for the taking.

• Like 1