Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

I have Apple TV boxes. No issues. 

LG smart TV with their built in app store.

Chromecast on my older stupid TV.

2 Roku Ultras and an Firestick 4k.  Roku Ultras crush the firestick.  I use the in-tv apps as little as possible. I feel like that would increase wear and tear on the TV.

TCL with Roku. I love roku ill never use another streaming device 

17 hours ago, Weaponx01 said:

2 Roku Ultras and an Firestick 4k.  Roku Ultras crush the firestick.  I use the in-tv apps as little as possible. I feel like that would increase wear and tear on the TV.

the in-tv apps seem to be the least reliable option as well. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 7:05 AM, BFit said:

What devices are you all using to stream? I used the smart tv apps on my tv for a while, but the wireless on my tv is only 2.4 and is pretty slow. Ontop of that, I feel like the apps aren't very stable. Hulu crashes randomly and sometimes has the audio drop, YouTube tv will stop responding sometimes and Netflix will show error codes. Happens when I'm hardwired too, so pretty sure it's not internet related. 

I got a TiVo stream 4k for free from YouTube tv and started using that. The wireless is much better and picture quality is really good, but it's started randomly restarting it's self lately. Not often, but it happens and it's annoying. Anyone has a streaming device that they really like?

We have a smart TV but I prefer using the xbox. Drives my wife crazy but I find the xbox to be a little quicker with the apps

• Like 1

AppleTV is the best for apps.  The device turns on within 5 seconds, and apps load almost instantly.

Plus, if you are an Apple / itunes person, the benefits are endless.  I can play itunes from my PC and then select which appletv's it broadcasts through.  My whole house and back deck all playing the same music from my PC.

Apple TV - Wikipedia

On 8/30/2021 at 12:44 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

TCL with Roku. I love roku ill never use another streaming device 

I like the Roku layout, but the HBO Max app is awful.  Crashes, and slow.  

The LG webOS is good too.  It has a lower screen tool bar like your computer where you can scroll recent apps.  I had to get used to the new layout because when you hover over an app it displays a 2nd level menu above it.  But now I like it because it will show you the last thing you watched on that app and you can go directly to it, or scroll items in your list.  Saves time.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

I like the Roku layout, but the HBO Max app is awful.  Crashes, and slow.  

The LG webOS is good too.  It has a lower screen tool bar like your computer where you can scroll recent apps.  I had to get used to the new layout because when you hover over an app it displays a 2nd level menu above it.  But now I like it because it will show you the last thing you watched on that app and you can go directly to it, or scroll items in your list.  Saves time.  

Samsung doesn't have the volume of Apps as roku, but their apps and home-bar interface is hands down the quickest, easiest, and most responsive. The LG with the Magic Remote is straight trash. Roku (and what I remember from Sony 3 years ago) both make you lose what you are watching to switch to a screen of endless tiles. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 6:08 PM, downundermike said:

AppleTV is the best for apps.  The device turns on within 5 seconds, and apps load almost instantly.

Plus, if you are an Apple / itunes person, the benefits are endless.  I can play itunes from my PC and then select which appletv's it broadcasts through.  My whole house and back deck all playing the same music from my PC.

Apple TV - Wikipedia

The new remote is much better

I'm about done with xfinity tv. Can't stand annoying features like the black box that covers a third of the screen every time you hit pause, which covers all the info crawls and subtitles and must be dismissed with a few clicks of the remote. I also miss frame-by-frame advance like I had with DISH, which was also more reliable, although comcast has improved. But DISH is expensive since it's only tv with no cost-saving internet or phone deals.

Netflix also has a slightly less annoying pop-up red line when the picture is paused, particularly if you're trying to read subtitles on a foreign production with poorly timed subtitles. But Netflix has great proprietary content, making it worthwhile.

My question to all you who are on various streaming and tv provider services: is DISH the only service that offers unobstructed pause and frame advance?

44 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

I'm about done with xfinity tv. Can't stand annoying features like the black box that covers a third of the screen every time you hit pause, which covers all the info crawls and subtitles and must be dismissed with a few clicks of the remote. I also miss frame-by-frame advance like I had with DISH, which was also more reliable, although comcast has improved. But DISH is expensive since it's only tv with no cost-saving internet or phone deals.

Netflix also has a slightly less annoying pop-up red line when the picture is paused, particularly if you're trying to read subtitles on a foreign production with poorly timed subtitles. But Netflix has great proprietary content, making it worthwhile.

My question to all you who are on various streaming and tv provider services: is DISH the only service that offers unobstructed pause and frame advance?

Unobstructed pause works fine for me

PXL_20210906_004839403.jpg

1 hour ago, eaglegenius said:

The X1 is so bad, constant problems

29 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

The X1 is so bad, constant problems

I'm still waiting to see all these issues Xfinity has. I have had zero issues in the year and half I've had it

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm still waiting to see all these issues Xfinity has. I have had zero issues in the year and half I've had it

One issues is using the apps is so slow compared to my Apple Tv, They take forever to load and sometimes freeze

3 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

One issues is using the apps is so slow compared to my Apple Tv, They take forever to load and sometimes freeze

Yes I would say that's an issue. Forgot about that one

On 9/5/2021 at 9:36 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well right now it's about an hour before kickoff and xfinity has lost the local channels.

They own NBC but it's been out for half an hour now and it looks like we may not get the much anticipated game tonight.

DSCF7398.JPG

7 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

Well right now it's about an hour before kickoff and xfinity has lost the local channels.

They own NBC but it's been out for half an hour now and it looks like we may not get the much anticipated game tonight.

DSCF7398.JPG

Where do you live? Maybe that had something to do with it

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Where do you live? Maybe that had something to do with it

In Philly. I just checked xfinity's website to see if I could stream the game.

xfinity sucks ass.

xfblows.jpeg

40 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

In Philly. I just checked xfinity's website to see if I could stream the game.

xfinity sucks ass.

xfblows.jpeg

You don’t have an antenna hooked to your TV ??

33 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

Gee, looks like we may get the last quarter of the game if we're lucky.

outag.jpeg.a590ee266351ed8f2f3df0dddc6fcb8c.jpeg

Mine is fine.... I'm sorry man, I don't know what is going on with your service. 

PXL_20210910_000507073.MP.jpg

On 9/9/2021 at 7:57 PM, downundermike said:

You don’t have an antenna hooked to your TV ??

Actually I managed to get all the local channels loud and clear on one of my Sony TVs which apparently has a built-in antenna.
That is, all the locals except for NBC which happens to be owned by Comcast. Apparently they put out a weaker signal
than ABC and CBS (both of whom broadcast multiple free channels) so that ppl need cable service to get NBC.

Thankfully xfinity got the service restored just in time for the game. Which might have been a happy coincidence.
Or - if I were prone to jump on conspiracy theories - I might think they planned it as a way to trick all their subscribers
who hadn't already signed up for their free Peacock service to sign up to stream the game. (With the intention of getting
them hooked on Peacock so they could charge them for it down the road.) If you think that's crazy, you've probably never
dealt with Comcast on a business issue.

And to put a cork on this, I did attempt to log on to Peacock because my roku featured a prominent ad touting
the game streamed free on Peacock. Unfortunately it was a typical xfinity fiasco. When I tried to sign up for it,
I was told I already had an account (although I never signed up for one before). So I assumed it was included as
part of my xfinity account. But when I tried to sign on it told me it didn't recognize either my username or my password.

21 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

Actually I managed to get all the local channels loud and clear on one of my Sony TVs which apparently has a built-in antenna.
That is, all the locals except for NBC which happens to be owned by Comcast. Apparently they put out a weaker signal
than ABC and CBS (both of whom broadcast multiple free channels) so that ppl need cable service to get NBC.

Thankfully xfinity got the service restored just in time for the game. Which might have been a happy coincidence.
Or - if I were prone to jump on conspiracy theories - I might think they planned it as a way to trick all their subscribers
who hadn't already signed up for their free Peacock service to sign up to stream the game. (With the intention of getting
them hooked on Peacock so they could charge them for it down the road.) If you think that's crazy, you've probably never
dealt with Comcast on a business issue.

And to put a cork on this, I did attempt to log on to Peacock because my roku featured a prominent ad touting
the game streamed free on Peacock. Unfortunately it was a typical xfinity fiasco. When I tried to sign up for it,
I was told I already had an account (although I never signed up for one before). So I assumed it was included as
part of my xfinity account. But when I tried to sign on it told me it didn't recognize either my username or my password.

You have to download peacock on your phone and sign in through there selecting Xfinity as your provider then you can put in the code on the tv for it to work. 

The same sheet happened to me because the peacock app is horrible using it from the Xfinity apps. So I downloaded it separately on Roku