Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

• 2 weeks later...

next Sunday's game vs. Chief's not on the local slate here. Time to break out the VPN and give it a test run. 

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/youtube-tv-subscribers-could-lose-14-nbcuniversal-channels/

the hell! :nonono:   

i'll be looking for an alternative to youtube tv if this happens.  can't lose all the nbc channels...including muh sixerz!  :furious:  

Hahahaha remember last year when I told.you this is why live streaming TV blows because you have to deal with losing channels and then they put the prices up.even more? 

I also kept telling  you guys that they were going to take away NBCphilly sports and you told me I was wrong? 

You guys really thought Xfinity was going to let their networks to be shown on live streaming TV did you? And not pay for their cable? 

Xfinity is still one of the biggest companies in the world they aren't going anywhere. 

48 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

anyone here used hulu?  or have any idea how it compares to yttv?  

Now that I'm done laughing. Hulu live is ok they have less channels then YouTubeTV but they still have philly sports but Xfinity will probably take it off of there too. 

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Now that I'm done laughing. Hulu live is ok they have less channels then YouTubeTV but they still have philly sports but Xfinity will probably take it off of there too. 

yeah...i think the only channel hulu doesn't have that i actually watch is amc...for the woke-ing dead. i can find another way to watch that though. 

nice thing with streaming is that i can switch in about 10 minutes & there's no cable boxes & all that sheet to deal with. my area doesn't even have xfinity but they gotta f with me anyway. :nonono:   

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

yeah...i think the only channel hulu doesn't have that i actually watch is amc...for the woke-ing dead. i can find another way to watch that though. 

nice thing with streaming is that i can switch in about 10 minutes & there's no cable boxes & all that sheet to deal with. my area doesn't even have xfinity but they gotta f with me anyway. :nonono:   

Like I have to told you I had every damn streaming service offered trying to beat the cable company. In the end it was a giant hastle every year when they had to renew TV contracts .

You would lose channels and the price would.go up. The last one I had was Fubutv they finally got ABC channels, espsn ect.. then took away freaking TNT in the middle of the damn NBA playoffs! Then it was up to 75 bucks a month. I finally said the hell with it and got Xfinity after 5 years of those pain in the ass live streaming TV. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Like I have to told you I had every damn streaming service offered trying to beat the cable company. In the end it was a giant hastle every year when they had to renew TV contracts .

You would lose channels and the price would.go up. The last one I had was Fubutv they finally got ABC channels, espsn ect.. then took away freaking TNT in the middle of the damn NBA playoffs! Then it was up to 75 bucks a month. I finally said the hell with it and got Xfinity after 5 years of those pain in the ass live streaming TV. 

i've had yttv for just under a year...so i'm not really a "beat the cable company" type. :lol:  it served me pretty well until this though. my local cable company (not xfinity) was/is pretty turrible. really, really old equipment and very unreliable....and i was paying close to $300 per month for internet + cable. 

if yttv sheets the bed with this nbc thing, i guess i'll try hulu. 

anyone here used hulu?  or have any idea how it compares to yttv?  

Yes, I have had it for over 3 years now. Love it. They just got the NFL channel and redzone this season. Red Zone was free yesterday!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i've had yttv for just under a year...so i'm not really a "beat the cable company" type. :lol:  it served me pretty well until this though. my local cable company (not xfinity) was/is pretty turrible. really, really old equipment and very unreliable....and i was paying close to $300 per month for internet + cable. 

I have had YTTV for almost 2 years now. I love it for the fact that it is easy to bypass the VPN location locks so I can get the Eagles games (living in the NY area). I think even if they drop NBC, I have the Peacock network, so I can just watch Sunday Night football on there.

If I didnt have YTTV I would probably go with Fubo, I like their setup more then Hulu or Sling, but it depends on what you want to watch.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

You have service electric up.there don't you? 

2 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

yep...and they stink.

Lol the cable company that invented cable sucks. Who would of thought. 

I have a few friends up that way, they all hate service electric. They think I'm lucky cause I can get Xfinity lol. That tells me all I need to know about service electric

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lol the cable company that invented cable sucks. Who would of thought. 

I have a few friends up that way, they all hate service electric. They think I'm lucky cause I can get Xfinity lol. That tells me all I need to know about service electric

:lol:  that's me 100%. 

• Haha 1

Yeah I can vouch for that too. I fortunately just had Windstream come through with their fiber service kinetic, so my interview much better now and costs about the same as I was paying before. 

Ass for the yttv/nbc thing, I think it gets resolved. Google knows it'll lose a lot of subscribers if they lose nbc

I was just at an event where the cable company owner was in attendance. I was sitting there during the event streaming college football on Youtube TV on my phone thinking, you cant compete with this buddy.

I didnt really mind service electric though. We never had any issues with our TV. The internet though sometimes will cut out randomly. Which isnt supposed to happen with cable. However, its still far more reliable than the DSL my parents used to have with DirecTV/Verizon.

We only switched to youtube TV because it saved us 40 dollars a month. But if they arent going to have philly sports this isnt gonna work for me anymore.

11 hours ago, BFit said:

Yeah I can vouch for that too. I fortunately just had Windstream come through with their fiber service kinetic, so my interview much better now and costs about the same as I was paying before. 

Ass for the yttv/nbc thing, I think it gets resolved. Google knows it'll lose a lot of subscribers if they lose nbc

Yep but every time they have to negotiate a major network like that they get rid of something else and jack the price up again or they don't get NBC back and add a different channel and still raise the price. 

I just saw Fubotv still didn't get back TNT and TBS and 65 bucks for a 113 channels. That's actually more money per channel than cable and might not have everything you are looking for and cost more for channels you still don't need. 

It's not a money saver as much as people think it is. Once you break it down to what you are paying per channel. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yep but every time they have to negotiate a major network like that they get rid of something else and jack the price up again or they don't get NBC back and add a different channel and still raise the price. 

I just saw Fubotv still didn't get back TNT and TBS and 65 bucks for a 113 channels. That's actually more money per channel than cable and might not have everything you are looking for and cost more for channels you still don't need. 

It's not a money saver as much as people think it is. Once you break it down to what you are paying per channel. 

Can't really think of a time that YouTubetv lost channels and raised their price though. They've added channels and raised the price and they've just raised their price but I can't remember them losing channels.

Like HE said though, I really don't think cable can compete with the convenience of streaming. No box, maybe a streaming device but you can buy it for 40 bucks instead of renting it for 15 a month. Unlimited DVR that you can watch anywhere. My brother has Xfinity but uses my YouTube tv login to watch stuff on his phone because Xfinity has weird rules about that. 

did notice the Fubo broadcast was 10 minutes behind the actual game last night. I came out of a meeting on zoom (where I had been watching the updates on nfl.com) thinking the game was 7-20 with 5 minutes left to go in the 1st half only to look at the tv in the living room (using fubo) and saw the game time was 12:56 in the second quarter and score was 7-14. I think fubo caught up at one point because i went out after the game to drop a friend off and noticed all the fans swarming out of  the local eagles nest bar down the street.

you gotta see these cats, it's surreal. big redneck trucks with full sized flags waving off of their tailgates.

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:29 AM, wholesale_Melvin said:

next Sunday's game vs. Chief's not on the local slate here. Time to break out the VPN and give it a test run. 

If you have a credit card, check to see if it has 'Virtual Cards' available to you. Citi cards do, if you have one of their cards. 

Last week, I did a test where I signed up for a free trial account with Fubo (for a year or so, virtual cards wouldn't work there). The test worked and I got a free preview week. On my virtual card, I only gave it a $1 limit. That way, when the free trial week ends and they try to charge my card, it'll fail and my access to Fubo will just be cut off. 

When I signed up for it, I used a Philly zip code (19019, I think). That way, I got access to Philly locals, if my VPN would show me as being in Philly, of course. If it doesn't, I have a workaround for that (using a VPN that does show me in Philly but is blocked for use on Fubo, but there's a workaround for that, too).

I haven't tried some of the other streaming services in a while, to see if Windscribe works correctly with them. Maybe I'll do that in the coming days. 

wait, if i signed up with a TX Zip Code but use a VPN it may not work ?

1. i read you log off your fubo account
  2. log onto your vpn
  3. pick x city server
  4. log onto fubo account

On 9/27/2021 at 10:51 AM, Gannan said:

Yes, I have had it for over 3 years now. Love it. They just got the NFL channel and redzone this season. Red Zone was free yesterday!

i'm reading about hulu having issues with pausing live tv. have you experienced that at all? 

i'm reading about hulu having issues with pausing live tv. have you experienced that at all? 

I pause live TV all the time. My advice would be do the 7 day trial. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gannan said:

I pause live TV all the time. My advice would be do the 7 day trial. 

yeah...that's the plan. i'll see what channels actually disappear from yttv on thursday.  then i'll sign up for hulu.