Washington Commanders can't do anything right

toolg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 10:22 PM, wrestlevessel said:

Good for her. We should always say Redskins.

I still call them the Redskins whenever I talk to Redskins fans and my (former) Redskins fan brothers. I say 'former' because neither of them care a lick about the team anymore. 

• Thanks 1

I'm tired of all this "Washington's owner is a black eye on the NFL" talk.  The man does nothing but deliver a first class experience for his fellow fans

• Like 1

Bad stadiums breed character!  Next time they are good (decades from now) they won't be wearing those little miss piggy outfits.

On 11/3/2022 at 5:19 PM, paco said:

I'm tired of all this "Washington's owner is a black eye on the NFL" talk.  The man does nothing but deliver a first class experience for his fellow fans

In fairness I don’t think the toilets have overflowed in the stadium in Washington like it did in that shitheap in Oakland.

I wasn't really paying attention when it happened, but why did the Redskins pick a mid level Naval officer rank (O-5) as their new team name and not a high level officer rank? Was 'Generals' or 'Admirals' (O-10) taken and they didn't want to pay to use one of them?

I suppose they just liked how it sounded and didn't care about meaning?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I wasn't really paying attention when it happened, but why did the Redskins pick a mid level Naval officer rank (O-5) as their new team name and not a high level officer rank? Was 'Generals' or 'Admirals' (O-10) taken and they didn't want to pay to use one of them?

Yup. They wanted a multi-syllable name that's awkward to pronounce. And for good measure, they decided to outfit them in terrible uniforms. It was very well thought out. But you'd expect that, given that they had almost two years to get it all right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I suspect that Commanders is also meant to mean commander-in-chief, like George Washington.  I have not read that anywhere, but when you connect all the dots, it makes much more sense than a random military rank.

I think for trademarks, you have to look even at minor leagues and junior hockey and things like that, and there are some minor league teams that have those names.  For instance, the Vegas Golden Knights were apparently going to be called the Las Vegas Knights, but since they would play in Canada against Canadian teams, the junior-level London Knights had the trademark on the name, and wouldn't share it.  So "Golden" got around that (although they then ran into trouble with the Clarkson University Golden Knights, and Golden Knight parachuters).  Here in the US, there are the Milwaukee Admirals and Norfolk Admirals (both in the AHL, coincidentally), and there was a minor league baseball team called the Jackson Generals.  There is still a junior hockey team called the Oshawa Generals, but I don't know if they have a trademark in the US or not.  That's why you're seeing slightly more obscure names for teams when they are created, like the Seattle Kraken, because they are trying to avoid trademark issues up and down all the sports and levels in each sport.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 11:52 PM, wrestlevessel said:

Good for her. We should always say Redskins.

Why, tho? If indigenous people find it offensive, why not just stop using it? Out of all the Native American sports names, this one seems the most offensive.

41 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

I suspect that Commanders is also meant to mean commander-in-chief, like George Washington.  I have not read that anywhere, but when you connect all the dots, it makes much more sense than a random military rank.

I don't know if this is what I read before posting, but it's along the same lines (not the full article):

LANDOVER, Md. -- It's the Washington Commanders.

After 87 years with its former name and two years as the Washington Football Team, the franchise announced Wednesday morning that its new name would be the Commanders. The team also unveiled its new logo and uniforms.

Washington's leaders -- team president Jason Wright and coach Ron Rivera -- had stressed during the 20-month process that the franchise would like to incorporate the military because of its connection to the nation's capital. Commander is a term used most often in the military as a naval officer rank, but it also can be used as a generic term.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33199548/washington-selects-commanders-new-team-name-two-season-search

Of course, it could be because of my military experience, that that's what I see when I see that name and I understand it's place within the rank structure (though I was Army, not Navy but I equate Commander with Lt. Colonel which is the same pay grade as a Navy Commander) and it could be my disdain for the Redskins (being an Eagles fan), that I equate it as a 'lesser' name than they could have come up with. But I accept my biases (both being Army against Navy and being Eagle against the Redskins lol). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

This is one of the reasons I hate this name.  I also equate 'Commander' with a high ranking (typically Naval) officer.  It does not represent most of our nation's military.  It's a terrible name.  I would have suggested using names that embody some concept: Valor, Honor, Duty, Bravery, Sacrifice, etc.  If you want to go service specific: sailors, marines, soliders, etc.

Although, most in DC really wanted the name 'Red Wolves.'

On 11/3/2022 at 1:19 PM, paco said:

Disgusting.  Further proof that the Snyders could not care less about their fan base.  They want to make money. 

2 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I also equate 'Commander' with a high ranking (typically Naval) officer. 

I wouldn't even consider it 'high ranking'. O-5 (Commander/Lt. Col) is mid ranking. I knew an O-6 (full Bird Colonel), but not well enough to talk to on any level other than to answer him when he spoke to me. I knew an O-5 (Lt. Colonel) that I would talk to on a more personal level and he would talk to me (and others) on a more (almost) buddy-buddy sort of level. Not really 'buddy-buddy', of course, but on that sort of level. 

I remember one time where I pulled Battalion CQ (runner) duty, and the Sergeant (CQ) and I (I was a SP4 at the time) were sitting in the office where CQ was to be carried out, and the Colonel (LTC) came in and sat down and began to talk to me and was telling me about his weekend plans with his family and such. After he left, the Sgt that I was with said something like "You just talk with the (Lt) Colonel like that?!" So to me, while an O-5 is an important rank, it's still mid-level. Kind of like a Sergeant (E-5... three stripes alone), compared to a Command Sergeant Major. You're buddies with the E-5, you stand at parade rest (or at least at ease) for the CSM. lol

They could have picked a better name. I still think they could have kept the name they had. But I dog no dog in that fight, so whatever.

They should've replaced the Indian head with Washington's head, like on the quarter.  Obviously the skin color would change.  I don't know if you put anything on there to replace the feathers.  But keeping the old logo somewhat would be cool, and making a better reference to the Commander name would be a plus as well.

Just when you think that franchise can't get any more disgusting.....

Brian Robinson's agent calls out Commanders for using RB's shooting in retort to AG

ASHBURN, Va. -- The agent for Washington Commanders running back Brian Robinson took issue with the team invoking his client's shooting in their preemptive response to the District of Columbia Attorney General's upcoming announcement regarding the organization.

Earlier Wednesday, the office of D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine announced he would being holding a 1 p.m. news conference Thursday to "make a major announcement related to the Washington Commanders."

It is presently unknown what Racine will be announcing. His office has been investigating the Commanders for more than six months, as has the Virginia attorney general, over allegations that the organization engaged in financial improprieties. The U.S. attorney's office in the Eastern District of Virginia has also opened a criminal investigation into the allegations, sources familiar with the matter confirmed to ESPN last week.

A Commanders spokesperson, in a statement Wednesday night, pushed back on the attorney general's possible announcement and in doing so made reference to Robinson, who in August was shot twice in the right leg during a robbery attempt while going to a restaurant in D.C.

"Less than three months ago, a 23-year-old player on our team was shot multiple times, in broad daylight," the statement began. "Despite the out-of-control violent crime in DC, today the Washington Commanders learned for the first time on Twitter that the D.C. Attorney General will be holding a press conference to 'make a major announcement' related to the organization tomorrow."

Robinson needed surgery on his right knee, but he did not suffer any internal damage and was able to play in a game six weeks later, becoming a feel-good story for the franchise.

His agent, Ryan Williams, was unaware of Robinson's inclusion in the statement until it became public.

"Up until an hour ago, the Commanders handled the Brian Robinson situation with so much care, sincerity and class," Williams wrote in a tweet. "And I was so grateful for all of it. Although I know that there are some great humans in that building, whoever is hiding behind this statement is not one of them."

The Commanders did not respond to messages seeking further comment on their statement.

The D.C. Metro police have arrested two suspects in connection with Robinson's shooting. The D.C. Attorney General's office is not responsible for prosecuting armed robbery or attempted murder, which falls under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Attorney General's office since it's a federal district.

The statement from the Commanders spokesperson continued, "The Commanders have fully cooperated with the AG's investigation for nearly a year. As recently as Monday, a lawyer for the team met with the AG who did not suggest at that time that he intended to take any action and, in fact, revealed fundamental misunderstandings of the underlying facts. It is unfortunate that, in his final days in office, Mr. Racine appears more interested in making splashy headlines, based on offbeat legal theories, rather than doing the hard work of making the streets safe for our citizens, including bringing to justice the people who shot one of our players."

F that POS organization.

• Like 2

Awful statement. Commanders communication dept. should be ashamed of themselves. The organization has no class.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, paco said:

doing the hard work of making the streets safe for our citizens

Yes. I think they are doing the hard work of keeping their streets safe from a-holes like Dan Snyder and the "Commanders".  

I was poking around on this, it seems that this has to do with deposits on season tickets or premium seats being kept by the commanders.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/11/10/23450631/dc-ag-make-major-announcement-today-washington-commanders-likely-to-face-civil-suit-ticket-deposits

It's really embarrassing for the whole league that a team violated the consumer protection procedures act.

• Like 1