EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

15 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I think the WR market exploding is like the tech bubble of the 90s.  It won't last long.  It's unsustainable for WRs to be making these ridiculous numbers, especially with the glut of WRs entering the league each year, and the way the league is clamping down on defenses making covering even average WRs almost impossible now.  And I think it only gets worse in that regard to the rules favoring the passing game moving forward.  WR salaries will eventually come back down, or more exactly, will almost freeze, as the cap rises... making their percentage smaller again as it has been for a while.   

On the flip side, I don't see an end in sight for the crazy QB salaries, though it will come.  That remains the most important position, and there just aren't enough of them to go around.  But, even then, I think teams will see that it is unsustainable to put so much into the QB salary that you can't possibly put pieces around him to help him succeed... or teams will just circumvent the salary cap like the Cheatriots did for all those years with Brady.  Funneling money through some sort of a proxy to get the money to them.  There's a reason most teams winning Super Bowls right now have either a QB on a rookie deal, or have found other means to keep the QB cost well below the $30M+ figure. 

Stafford last year cost the Rams only $20M.  Tom Brady cost the Bucs $10.5M in 2020.   Mahomes, still on his rookie deal, cost the Chiefs under $5M in 2019.  Brady in 2018 cost the Patriots only $22M.  2017, the Eagles had Wentz on a rookie deal $6M.  Foles, as the backup, cost $1.6M.  Back to Brady in 2016 cost $13+M.   Peyton in 2015 - $17.5M.

The QB cost bubble is going to need to be popped eventually.  Just not sure how long that will take.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, greend said:

Umm I think he was killed one day later, so it couldn't have been too much longer. That said discrimination is wrong all the way around or it isn't.  You pick

Five years later.  The speech you quoted is from the March on Washington in August 1963, three months shy of JFK’s assassination. From the strength of the March on Washington and in legacy of JFK, Lyndon Johnson, a brilliant manipulator of moving bills through Congress was able to shepherd the votes to enact the Civil Rights Act of 1964 into law.  King lived almost five years more until assassinated on April 1968.  That’s not my favorite quote from that speech (really pretty close to a sermon).

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the **** community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny.

And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone. And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back.

Not that this can be full trusted, but it begs the the question would you be happy with Mathieu on Reid's deal? (3 year, 31.5 million, 20 million guaranteed) 

Catching up from posts last night, and very delighted to see @Green_Guinness hitting the sauce hard and putting a beatdown on all the trolls.  Way to go math boy!!  

20 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I think this shows you who wants to win (brady, Manning, taking less money to spread the wealth) and guys like Rodgers who doesnt give a flying F about winning and just wants to get paid. 

Kurt Cousins is in that boat too. 

This is why I think the Lamar ship is headed out of the Baltimore port. Lamar seems like a dude who wants STUPID money and his worth is just too high for the Ravens not to trade him. 

In my opinion, Huntley with 4-5 top 50 picks on the roster, plus 25-40M extra in salary cap is way better than just Lamar. 

Given the money Lamar wants, I would not trade anything of value for him.  I would not want to build my offense around him, period.  If you end up with a unique player like Lamar, by chance, I suppose you have to pivot and make a go of it, but that's a highway I'd never go out of my way to take.

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I think the WR market exploding is like the tech bubble of the 90s.  It won't last long.  It's unsustainable for WRs to be making these ridiculous numbers, especially with the glut of WRs entering the league each year, and the way the league is clamping down on defenses making covering even average WRs almost impossible now.  And I think it only gets worse in that regard to the rules favoring the passing game moving forward.  WR salaries will eventually come back down, or more exactly, will almost freeze, as the cap rises... making their percentage smaller again as it has been for a while.   

On the flip side, I don't see an end in sight for the crazy QB salaries, though it will come.  That remains the most important position, and there just aren't enough of them to go around.  But, even then, I think teams will see that it is unsustainable to put so much into the QB salary that you can't possibly put pieces around him to help him succeed... or teams will just circumvent the salary cap like the Cheatriots did for all those years with Brady.  Funneling money through some sort of a proxy to get the money to them.  There's a reason most teams winning Super Bowls right now have either a QB on a rookie deal, or have found other means to keep the QB cost well below the $30M+ figure. 

Stafford last year cost the Rams only $20M.  Tom Brady cost the Bucs $10.5M in 2020.   Mahomes, still on his rookie deal, cost the Chiefs under $5M in 2019.  Brady in 2018 cost the Patriots only $22M.  2017, the Eagles had Wentz on a rookie deal $6M.  Foles, as the backup, cost $1.6M.  Back to Brady in 2016 cost $13+M.   Peyton in 2015 - $17.5M.

The QB cost bubble is going to need to be popped eventually.  Just not sure how long that will take.

There will be a team that ties a QB's pay to a percentage of the cap. Each year the cap goes up the player gets paid more. I think that is the only way to really curb the madness of the amount that QBs get paid.

Mike Florio had floated that idea around for years and I thought it was dumb, but maybe it really isn't anymore. Especially with a franchise QB.

32 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

WR market inflation started last year with golladay getting 18 mil per year coming off an injury plagued season. Heck i thought Davis, Samuel and agholor all got overpaid last year and inflated the market. I liked golladay but coming off the injury he had i wouldn’t have given him that contract. The giants helped in this inflating the WR market.

Then it got worse this year when the jags overpaid for kirk. I like kirk but no way is he remotely as good as that contract was. I could understand paying Adams as he’s a top 5 WR in the league (however i think his numbers regress a little due to carr at Qb but also having Waller and renfroe as pass catchers). Heck MVS isn’t as much of as an overpay like kirk but even for what he’s accomplished it’s an overpay especially cause i rather just wait til after the draft when some guys comp to him would still be available. 

I dislike all these contracts given out (actually don’t think Allen robinson is a bad deal cause i believe his situation was bad last year due to Nagy and QB situation. Him at 15 mil per year might turn out to be a bargain with some of these contracts). but all that said I’d take cooks contract over golladay and kirk the last two years. At least he’s proven to be a consistently good WR in the league and is 28. 6 of the last 7 years Hes been over 1000 yards and had a yards per catch of 14.2. But really that’s not saying much 

10 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Brady is a good judge of character with the people/players he respects.  Great to see Brady take Jalen under his wing to mentor him.  Probably sees a lot of his own intangibles in Hurts.  Sees the chip on his shoulder for nonstop disrespect he gets.  

First off, Sileo has been proven time and again to be full of crap.

Secondly, when this was first reported, it was proven that Brady was not even in California, he was at some event in Florida.

Find me some real evidence that Brady is on any practice field with Hurts.

Oh that's right, you are a fraud who puts people on ignore when the prove you wrong.

22 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Not that this can be full trusted, but it begs the the question would you be happy with Mathieu on Reid's deal? (3 year, 31.5 million, 20 million guaranteed) 

That would be fine for me. Way more cost efficient for us than going after these WRs.

32 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

No. Reid is 25 and progressing. He is also bigger.  If we are going small at FS, go with Vincent who we have on a rookie late round contract and actually draft a S this year. 

12 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

I think back then we were allowed to use calculators, but I refused.  Something weird about me, but I still enjoy doing math in my head.  A lost art form.

Digamelocons og kush GIF - Find on GIFER

10 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Maybe we’ll have a freaky Friday incident where jalen and Tom switch bodies

I'd prefer they switch brains.

12 hours ago, Wentz_Era said:

There's this really good book...the boy who cried wolf!  You should check it out.

According to the classic cartoon Garfield and Friends excerpt "Orson's Farm," the correct version of the story is "The Wolf who Cried Boy."  

Watch Garfield & Friends season 5 episode 17 streaming online |  BetaSeries.com

I actually liked this show so much as a kid I got this question wrong on an elementary school test.  

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Maybe we can go young Frankenstein and just take parts of all the QB's in the league

Side note, if you make the "best" qb out of the league, Tom's mind, Lamars, Legs, Rodgers long ball, etc  etc etc, Hurts would bring swag

Making it to complicated.

Brady's brain and the rest Josh Allen.

1 hour ago, DEagle7 said:

Nope.  25 year old safety versus soon to be 30 year old safety.   Dramatically different.   No need to invest in players that will not be a part of the solution beyond 2022 or 2023.  Reid could be, Mathieu will not be.

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

There will be a team that ties a QB's pay to a percentage of the cap. Each year the cap goes up the player gets paid more. I think that is the only way to really curb the madness of the amount that QBs get paid.

Mike Florio had floated that idea around for years and I thought it was dumb, but maybe it really isn't anymore. Especially with a franchise QB.

Maybe.  I heard another that suggested a QB salary cap.  And maybe capping the QB salary at a percentage of the cap would work too.  A 'max value' QB gets no more than 15% of the salary cap, or whatever.

50 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This is the best reply to the Brady working with Hurts ( which from all I have seen is false by the way )

Turned into big money contracts for Cassel and Garropolo though.  So, I guess, in a manner of speaking, it did work out for some of them.   But, I do NOT want to invest big money into Hurts.  Fortunately, that's not even an option until after this season.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

"I don’t know who would want to trade with Philly,” an exec said. "Howie has a little bit of a Danny Ainge syndrome. If he is making a deal with you, he has identified something. That is his bread and butter. Now, granted, he is in a position of leverage because he has three first-round picks or whatever it was. And Howie has the ability to think long term, because he is going to be there next year.”

Teams trade with Howie, because they know he's willing to deal.

It's so much harder doing deals with Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Dallas, etc. because they're so insular. Some teams (Seattle, New England, Cleveland) want to be pro-active.

12 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Minshew has no better arm than Hurts.  Plus he can’t run. Not convinced it is draft capital versus seeing where Hurts might grow.  Both are likely long term back ups in this league. 

Minshew can at least read a defense

and he can run a bit but he is not an rb like Hurts

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Jameson Williams is the only WR with any value for us in round 1.

His type (SEC blazing deep threat with proven production) goes top 10-12 every year, inching earlier every year.

An ACL that presents no long term problems might drop him to 15.  

I have reservations about going WR with the current QB situation, but I think Williams is the unique value with our first round pick.  

Williams and Olave are the best WR fits for us IMO. I'd be happy with either.

55 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

No. Reid is 25 and progressing. He is also bigger.  If we are going small at FS, go with Vincent who we have on a rookie late round contract and actually draft a S this year. 

Dax Hill plz k thx

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Maybe.  I heard another that suggested a QB salary cap.  And maybe capping the QB salary at a percentage of the cap would work too.  A 'max value' QB gets no more than 15% of the salary cap, or whatever.

There is no way to put that into effect.

Mahomes this year counts 17.2% of the salary cap.  In 2023 he is 20.8% of the cap.  In 2024 he is 17.6%.  How can you set a number and say now you have to take a pay cut.

2023, 7 QB's already are more than 15% of the teams cap.

2024, 6 QB's already are more than 15% of the teams cap.

While it is a great idea, you can not set a QB cap and expect all the QB's already above that threshold to take a pay cut.

About time we purged Jeremy Bloom.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

There is no way to put that into effect.

Mahomes this year counts 17.2% of the salary cap.  In 2023 he is 20.8% of the cap.  In 2024 he is 17.6%.  How can you set a number and say now you have to take a pay cut.

2023, 7 QB's already are more than 15% of the teams cap.

2024, 6 QB's already are more than 15% of the teams cap.

While it is a great idea, you can not set a QB cap and expect all the QB's already above that threshold to take a pay cut.

That's why I said 'or whatever'.  Obviously that sort of thing would have to go through the CBA... and that is how it could be done.  Existing contracts are grandfathered and the new ones go into effect with the new CBA.

1 hour ago, DEagle7 said:

Yes.  3 for 30 is what I've suggested for Mathieu all along. 

I think the length is right and the money is fair. 

Archived