EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

I think back then we were allowed to use calculators, but I refused.  Something weird about me, but I still enjoy doing math in my head.  A lost art form.

Calculator didn't really help much, IIRC.   Needed to know how to manipulate things.  The actual calculations were pretty simple.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

You deal in science and yet you know what Hurts' ceiling is? And you know that Minshew is better?

That's not science, that's you getting over your skis. Stick to science, football ain't your thing.

Yes, Minshew can read a D better than Hurts, which is PRIORITY NUMBER 1 for a QB. 

YOU are the one getting emotional here and not using the scientific method.

Yes, Hurts IS limited.  Have you read his draft scouting report?  Because ALL of it is still true today.  He has NOT improved in one single area of it. 

Really have to ask:  Are you the burner account of either RTK or is Jojodancer your other account?  Because it sure sounds like either is possible.

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yes.   Then again... I took it in the dark ages.  lol

The dark ages?  I knew that when I ordered a 23 and me DNA test because they include Neanderthal test results that I was likely to show some for me, but if you took the SATs in the Dark Ages, the Neanderthal must be my dad.

BTW, the wife is on record that I will show 55% Neanderthal DNA. 

The whole Minshew/Hurts debate boils down to basically draft status. Minshew was a 6th round pick, so he has a shorter leash and is probably viewed as an overachiever. Hurts was a 2nd round pick (shouldn’t have been) so he has a slightly longer leash to "reach his potential”. Likewise Daniel Jones is entering year 4 as the starter because he was a top 10 pick.

Not saying it’s correct, just the way it is is. 

image.jpeg.83c2ea0a59b90820d4490b1003e6ccf5.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

I think back then we were allowed to use calculators, but I refused.  Something weird about me, but I still enjoy doing math in my head.  A lost art form.

I worked my way through college in a grocery store.  I got investigated by security for having a perfect till to many weeks in a row.  I enjoy doing the math in my head at that level but at some point a pencil and paper are nice to have. 

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

The dark ages?  I knew that when I ordered a 23 and me DNA test because they include Neanderthal test results that I was likely to show some for me, but if you took the SATs in the Dark Ages, the Neanderthal must be my dad.

BTW, the wife is on record that I will show 55% Neanderthal DNA. 

When my students hear that I graduated high school in the 1900s... they look at me with this confused and stunned expression.   :lol:

7 hours ago, austinfan said:

What happened to Mahomes in the playoffs? Did he suddenly lose his QB skills in the second half?

Or did Cincy do what TB did - take away your two top receiving threats and dare you to win with the rest of your skill players.

TB took Smith and Goedert out of the game, and that left Watkins, who ran some bad routes. Not to say Hurts was blameless, but when a QB looks hesitant, it's usually because his first and second reads are covered and his other targets are struggling to get separation in time.

Eagles need more balance on their offense, and for the OL to play together in pass protection with a young QB (i.e., Hurts getting more confidence in and a better feel for his protection). And one key is that receiver who gets open quickly underneath, the QB's security blanket, whether a big possession WR, a quick slot WR or a H-back who runs underneath routes and blocks out defenders. The other key is a reliable power back - in games against tough defenses, those tough runs are the difference between 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 9.

TB took Hurts out of the game by stacking the box and leaving people open mid range every play daring him to beat them with his arm.

7 hours ago, austinfan said:

He went from bottom 10 to middle of the pack with experience. At his best he was a solid but nothing special QB. But those first four seasons . . .

I agree

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The whole Minshew/Hurts debate boils down to basically draft status. Minshew was a 6th round pick, so he has a shorter leash and is probably viewed as an overachiever. Hurts was a 2nd round pick (shouldn’t have been) so he has a slightly longer leash to "reach his potential”. Likewise Daniel Jones is entering year 4 as the starter because he was a top 10 pick.

Not saying it’s correct, just the way it is is. 

Minshew has no better arm than Hurts.  Plus he can’t run. Not convinced it is draft capital versus seeing where Hurts might grow.  Both are likely long term back ups in this league. 

7 hours ago, Peppersmacks said:

You're kidding right?  A guy saying "what a world" where a black person with the same title can make more than a white person?  As if that hasn't been the experience of black people and woman throughout history?

There's this really good book...the boy who cried wolf!  You should check it out.

32 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Don’t they let kids take calculators in to the test nowadays?

I get lost when I have to take my boots off to do math.

10 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Minshew has no better arm than Hurts.  Plus he can’t run. Not convinced it is draft capital versus seeing where Hurts might grow.  Both are likely long term back ups in this league. 

And the main reason Hurts was drafted ahead of Minshew was because he can run. It’s not draft capital in a vacuum, it’s everything that goes into it. 

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

Here's where you tell on yourself. You just assume that Hurts was handed the job. You can't wrap your head around the fact that maybe he earned it by being the best option.

Do you really think that the team is playing an inferior qb in Hurts so that the owner can save face? Maybe you think Minshew is better, but maybe there is also a reason you post on a message board and don't work for an NFL team.

There is a world where Hurts is a better qb than Minshew. And that is the world where people who get paid millions of dollars to make these kind of decisions don't play inferior players just to save face. That is a construct that exists only in your twisted mind. Have you ever considered, maybe for one second, that your view of the world is the one that is incorrect, and that reality not bending itself to meet your expectations and outcomes is more a you problem then a reality problem?   

Do you smoke weed

In honour of the Phillies, drinking Slugger from PA brewery Sly Fox.  The reps stopped at my store this week and they are selling this beer in CBP this season.  It's a Pilsner, but drinks more like a German Marzen Lager as it's got a fairly malty backbone, but does have a bit of the floral hops.  More of an April-June and Sept beer and not so much of a July/Aug beer on those warm humid nights in Philly.  I guess the Phightins are trying to outslug the competition this season.  We shall see.

#everybodyhitswoohoo

20220407_225206.jpg

Brady is a good judge of character with the people/players he respects.  Great to see Brady take Jalen under his wing to mentor him.  Probably sees a lot of his own intangibles in Hurts.  Sees the chip on his shoulder for nonstop disrespect he gets.  

Whoa a three day old tweet from Dan Sileo. That really moves the needle. 

Oh and when tf we getting BDN back? Hurts got benched in the college national title game, Foles won a Super Bowl MVP. 

1 minute ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I hope everyone has a great weekend 🙂 

Chances are better for that if we avoid Chipotle.  Right, @hputenis?

Maybe check WU for the outdoor grilling thread.

3 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Oh and when tf we getting BDN back? Hurts got benched in the college national title game, Foles won a Super Bowl MVP. 

Sometime after they trade up for Willis and before they trade Hurts for two 1st rounders because Brady took him under his wing

Elon just threw a banger behind my neighborhood. My invite was lost in the mail.

5D6D0E63-F1D3-4D12-B326-C3DA7920958D.png

6AE9D91F-57A5-41B9-AC02-58DA7315A885.png

36 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

In honour of the Phillies, drinking Slugger from PA brewery Sly Fox.  The reps stopped at my store this week and they are selling this beer in CBP this season.  It's a Pilsner, but drinks more like a German Marzen Lager as it's got a fairly malty backbone, but does have a bit of the floral hops.  More of an April-June and Sept beer and not so much of a July/Aug beer on those warm humid nights in Philly.  I guess the Phightins are trying to outslug the competition this season.  We shall see.

#everybodyhitswoohoo

20220407_225206.jpg

Cheers 🍻 

32 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Fantasy camp.  That’s cute.  Happy for Jalen.  

Maybe we’ll have a freaky Friday incident where jalen and Tom switch bodies

17 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Funny, in hindsight, everything goes back to that decision.  Always thought they should have traded Wentz at the height of his value (probably 2 1sts) and stuck with Foles.  Draft somebody in between.  It was so obvious that Foles had the heart of the locker room.  

Archived