EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

You never know. I highly doubted that a team would be stupid enough to give a player a fully guaranteed contract but they have done that now with Cousins and Watson.

Up until 2020 I believe, teams had to put guaranteed contracts into escrow which for Watson’s $230 million, that would of been a nightmare and teams like the Bengals couldn’t have done it.   I thinks it’s just a percentage now, but still probably a chunk of money. 

12 minutes ago, RLC said:

Signing athletes is never a bad idea. Will this work? Probably not. Worth the shot.

The fact that Jordan Davis had a better broad jump than an Olympic level track athlete is absurd to me.

2 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

If the Eagles end up taking a QB, who would upset you the least?

Aqeel Glass

2 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Pickett or Ridder in the 1st, Corral, Willis, Howell, or Strong in the 2nd or after. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

In order, Ridder, Corral, Pickett, Strong

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

💯

I still think under the right situation Ridder can be a good QB 

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Nice...  No need to go WR in the draft now... We locked in Barry's brother

Allen did the Oregon Pro Day to announce he is back and taking football seriously. However, he is still competing in world championships in August and then plans to come in to training camp the next week. 

He hasnt played football for like 5 or 6 years. And expects to knock off all the rust, and make a roster with just a single training camp.

Thats a reeeal long shot to make the team. But maybe a PS candidate who can be called up later on. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

See below.

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Mike and I are in lockstep here, though I would wedge Howell in between Pickett and Strong.

6 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Allen did the Oregon Pro Day to announce he is back and taking football seriously. However, he is still competing in world championships in August and then plans to come in to training camp the next week. 

He hasnt played football for like 5 or 6 years. And expects to knock off all the rust, and make a roster with just a single training camp.

Thats a reeeal long shot to make the team. But maybe a PS candidate who can be called up later on. 

I think a guy with Olympic-level work ethic is intriguing.

Interview with Allen at the pro day. Said he doesnt spend a lot of time on the 40 but running fast is what he does for a living so he knew he would have a good time. Didnt spend a lot of time on the shuttle and 3 cone. (So I bet he is quicker than those times suggest, he just doesnt have the technique down to do the drill fast). 

Interesting note- he said he didnt want to bounce around to teams in camp. He wanted to go to a team that needed an athlete like him, and did a lot of research so he could choose a team, and thats his team where he would stick. (I wonder if the eagles expressed to him that he would have a secure spot?)

And oddly, he said he thought he would be more successful in track and be an olympic gold medalist by now, but he still has another 5 or 6 good years in track left in him. So.... my read is that this guy isnt really that serious about football. Ill be pretty surprised if he can really handle both careers at once. His track weight is different than his football weight. And his training is different too. Track is a lot of plyo stuff. Thats important in football but he has to get stronger too. If he is going to be doing track stuff till mid-August every year he has no time to get in real football shape. 

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I think a guy with Olympic-level work ethic is intriguing.

It would have sounded better to me if he didnt mention that he has another good 5-6  years in track yet. Id rather hear that he is done with track and is ready to be a full time football player. I think his odds would be much better that way.

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Interview with Allen at the pro day. Said he doesnt spend a lot of time on the 40 but running fast is what he does for a living so he knew he would have a good time. Didnt spend a lot of time on the shuttle and 3 cone. (So I bet he is quicker than those times suggest, he just doesnt have the technique down to do the drill fast). 

Interesting note- he said he didnt want to bounce around to teams in camp. He wanted to go to a team that needed an athlete like him, and did a lot of research so he could choose a team, and thats his team where he would stick. (I wonder if the eagles expressed to him that he would have a secure spot?)

And oddly, he said he thought he would be more successful in track and be an olympic gold medalist by now, but he still has another 5 or 6 good years in track left in him. So.... my read is that this guy isnt really that serious about football. Ill be pretty surprised if he can really handle both careers at once. His track weight is different than his football weight. And his training is different too. Track is a lot of plyo stuff. Thats important in football but he has to get stronger too. If he is going to be doing track stuff till mid-August every year he has no time to get in real football shape. 

I wonder how much DK’s showing made him consider this, and if it’s financially motivated

29 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Strong or Ridder

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

It would have sounded better to me if he didnt mention that he has another good 5-6  years in track yet. Id rather hear that he is done with track and is ready to be a full time football player. I think his odds would be much better that way.

It’s also a 3-year deal, so it sounds more like a Mailata situation than a "let’s see if you’re any good”

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

Wasn't his sister convicted of criminal fraud? 

There's a book and movie about her, she was running a high stakes poker game.

https://www.amazon.com/Mollys-Game-26-Year-Old-High-Stakes-Underground-ebook/dp/B00DB32V4G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=chasingthefro-20&linkId=0e9a784a3b6706072f6bb9dc6c6ea20f&language=en_US

3 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

It’s also a 3-year deal, so it sounds more like a Mailata situation than a "let’s see if you’re any good”

He started at WR in college for a year, then tore an ACL and focused on track afterwards.

So he's not a track star trying his hand at football.

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Minshew is way better at anticipating throws and reading defenses, thus making is arm(about the same power wise as hurts) wayyy better. 

And no, Minshew doesnt have the legs as Hurts but good enough to keep the defense honest and be activte in the RPO/Scramble game. 

Heres the MAIN reason why you start Minshew over Hurts. 

You can finally see what your coach has and the talent on your offense going foward with Minshew. With hurts you cant, 

Right. You think if Minshew was close to that good, teams wouldn't be calling Howie night and day? Have you seen some of those starting QBs on team rosters?

There is not one rumor of a serious offer, we got him for a 6th, no one is talking a 3rd or 4th.

That means the league not only sees him as a backup, they see him as a mid-tier backup.

8 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

3 years is the standard contract for UDFA's

5 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Right. You think if Minshew was close to that good, teams wouldn't be calling Howie night and day? Have you seen some of those starting QBs on team rosters?

There is not one rumor of a serious offer, we got him for a 6th, no one is talking a 3rd or 4th.

That means the league not only sees him as a backup, they see him as a mid-tier backup.

Yet, his performance has been objectively better than Hurts, who we have starting games at QB:

See the source image

50 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Corral

4 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Howie said at the owner’s meetings he wanted to tell Corral "No!” To his face. That might be what this is for

35 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Dude must really love track. Financially, what you described seems really dumb

Archived