EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's why I said 'or whatever'.  Obviously that sort of thing would have to go through the CBA... and that is how it could be done.  Existing contracts are grandfathered and the new ones go into effect with the new CBA.

I highly doubt the players association would ratify anything that the guys due for contracts can not make as much or more than the guys already under contract.

The only thing they can do is separate the QB's from the cap of the rest of the team, which is also unfair.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I highly doubt the players association would ratify anything that the guys due for contracts can not make as much or more than the guys already under contract.

The only thing they can do is separate the QB's from the cap of the rest of the team, which is also unfair.

True.  The number I threw out was an arbitrary 15%.  That number is ridiculously high for a single player to be, but whatever.  The number could be capped at 20%, 22%, it doesn't matter.  But, that's the way to make it sustainable.  And the only way it happens is through the CBA.   Frankly, the rest of the NFLPA should be looking to cap the QB salary cap figure, because the bigger the piece of the pie the QBs get, the less pie for everyone else.   And there's only what... 96 voting QBs in the NFLPA?  They can be outvoted easily by the rest of the bargaining unit.

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

Minshew is way better at anticipating throws and reading defenses, thus making is arm(about the same power wise as hurts) wayyy better. 

And no, Minshew doesnt have the legs as Hurts but good enough to keep the defense honest and be activte in the RPO/Scramble game. 

Heres the MAIN reason why you start Minshew over Hurts. 

You can finally see what your coach has and the talent on your offense going foward with Minshew. With hurts you cant, 

Minshew is so great yet Eagles got him for like a 5th and no teams have been busting down their door to get him despite half the league being drunk on their desire to bring in a new QB. 

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

True.  The number I threw out was an arbitrary 15%.  That number is ridiculously high for a single player to be, but whatever.  The number could be capped at 20%, 22%, it doesn't matter.  But, that's the way to make it sustainable.  And the only way it happens is through the CBA.   Frankly, the rest of the NFLPA should be looking to cap the QB salary cap figure, because the bigger the piece of the pie the QBs get, the less pie for everyone else.   And there's only what... 96 voting QBs in the NFLPA?  They can be outvoted easily by the rest of the bargaining unit.

At some point, someone else will go the Brady route and take less to have a better team around them.  

14 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

About time we purged Jeremy Bloom.

Disrespectful to let someone else wear Wentz's number.  He brought this team it's first Super Bowl. 

At some point, someone else will go the Brady route and take less to have a better team around them.  

You mean someone will go the Brady route and get paid by circumventing the salary cap... in order to get a better team around them.

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

There is no way to put that into effect.

Mahomes this year counts 17.2% of the salary cap.  In 2023 he is 20.8% of the cap.  In 2024 he is 17.6%.  How can you set a number and say now you have to take a pay cut.

2023, 7 QB's already are more than 15% of the teams cap.

2024, 6 QB's already are more than 15% of the teams cap.

While it is a great idea, you can not set a QB cap and expect all the QB's already above that threshold to take a pay cut.

I don't know if a cap would work, but you could tie compensation to a percentage of the cap. They would continue to make more money year over year as the cap goes up and the union would want to make sure that the cap would continue to rise. Teams would be able to allocate their resources a little better instead of taking a lump of their salary in one year or throwing a ton go salary in dummy years just to make sure that the QB stays under contract.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You mean someone will go the Brady route and get paid by circumventing the salary cap... in order to get a better team around them.

I call BS on that.  Why does he need to do that, he makes so much on endorsements that taking 5-10 million less has no real impact on him.

2 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I don't know if a cap would work, but you could tie compensation to a percentage of the cap.

As I already indicated in my post, you already have guys over the 15% discussed, you already have guys over 20%, some at almost 25%.  How do you set the number, Mahomes has a 10 year contract, you cant expect the NFL to not honor it by setting a percentage that is less than his contract.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Truly Amazing that Jeremy Bloom is the failure of the family lol. 

His Sister is like world renowned author, woman activist, self help guru, His brother is like epic Harvard Doctor and well Jeremy is a failure lol

Weird that a 11-time world cup gold medalist and an inductee into the Ski hall of fame is a failure in your eyes

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Truly Amazing that Jeremy Bloom is the failure of the family lol. 

His Sister is like world renowned author, actress, woman activist, self help guru, His brother is like epic Harvard Doctor and well Jeremy is a failure lol

image.jpeg.33e571832da0b9652339d09ebdae7d7a.jpeg

As I already indicated in my post, you already have guys over the 15% discussed, you already have guys over 20%, some at almost 25%.  How do you set the number, Mahomes has a 10 year contract, you cant expect the NFL to not honor it by setting a percentage that is less than his contract.

I dont understand what you mean here.

I am not saying that the NFL forces this onto players. I am saying that eventually a team will create a contract that ties a QB to a percentage of the cap and then others will probably follow from there.

11 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Minshew is so great yet Eagles got him for like a 5th and no teams have been busting down their door to get him despite half the league being drunk on their desire to bring in a new QB. 

It was reported we got him so cheap because Jacksonville let him pick his destination, and this was the only one where he thought he had a shot at playing. It’s entirely possible they got better offers, and we have too. Howie has shown to genuinely covet the backup QB roster spot as much as the 22 starters

1 minute ago, pallidrone said:

I am not saying that the NFL forces this onto players. I am saying that eventually a team will create a contract that ties a QB to a percentage of the cap and then others will probably follow from there.

I thought you were saying that the NFL would try to mandate that, not a team negotiating it.  My apologies for misunderstanding.

Good idea until that QB's agent points out that the percentage is 5-8 million dollars less per year than another QB's contract.

4 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I highly doubt that a team will give up the optionality of cap maneuvering to pay slightly less.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I highly doubt that a team will give up the optionality of cap maneuvering to pay slightly less.

You never know. I highly doubted that a team would be stupid enough to give a player a fully guaranteed contract but they have done that now with Cousins and Watson.

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Anyone wanna take that bet?

He might not be good, but safeties who play can special teams can last a while.

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Thought he already met with the Eagles? Or am I mixing him up with someone else.

2 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Thought he already met with the Eagles? Or am I mixing him up with someone else.

Yea, he said he already met them and walked around NovaCare, so not sure what Schefter means

3 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Extra smoke. Double the smoke. 

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Anyone wanna take that bet?

Blaine Gabbert is somehow still in the league, so I won’t bet against Wallace. But man crazy he still talks like he’s some big time pro on Twitter  

Archived