EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah. Maybe he should have done his research.  Then he would realize Hurts avoids the middle of the field like ToastJenkins avoids  common sense.  

Yeah.  Hey.  He’s been researching since like forever.  

You should talk to someone about your stalking issues

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Would we have been better off staying at #15 / #18, keeping all our picks, and selecting Hamilton and Burks?

I think so.  This draft is pretty deep, and could have maneuvered around the middle rounds.

I will be very curious to see the players available at the picks we traded, 101, 124, 162 and 166.  Based on the best available on ESPN, here is who is projected to be available.

101 - Jaquan Brisker, Cameron Thomas, Leo Chenal, Chad Muma

124 - Troy Anderson, Brian Robinson Jr, Sam Williams, Alex Wright, Jalyn Armour-Davis, Bryan Cook

162 / 166 - Kyle Phillips, Luke Fortner, Zach Tom, Darrian Beavers, D'Marco Jackson, Ed Ingram, Marquis Hayes, Michael Clemons, Damarri Mathis, Justyn Ross, Tariq Castro-Fields

Multiple guys at positions of need that we could draft and develop.  Howie now needs to have a 100% success rate in rounds 2 and 3, and find a combination of DE, CB, S.

13 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

My gut feeling tells me Brown will be Alshon part 2 but without the Super Bowl 

You should get some Miralax cause your gut needs cleansing. 

12 minutes ago, NITEF4LL said:

Apparently complaints from fans have already started, Brown has bad knees and cant finish a season consistently.

F fans. Vast majority of us are morons. 

9 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Would we have been better off staying at #15 / #18, keeping all our picks, and selecting Hamilton and Burks?

No. Davis is a high floor/high ceiling player with the potential to be a generational talent. I take that swing every time. I also go Brown over Burks every time but would not have been upset had Burks been the pick at 18.

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  Said that last year.  Spending a 2nd on a Center is too much.  Leave him right where he is.  

Speaking of Center.  I remember when Linderbaum was a top 15 pick.  Hmm.  

He went 25th dude. There’s a difference between rankings and draft slotting obviously. Hamilton was top 5 in most people’s rankings, he went 14th. Cole Strange was probably ranked in the 90-120 range for most people and he went in the first. 

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

There are players like Jermaine Johnson, Kenyon Green, Johan Dotson and Garrett Wilson in every draft.

Jordan Davis is legitimately a generational prospect. He might bust, and there is risk, but this is the type of player you swing on. 

I agree wholeheartedly. 

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I don't know.

You get a potential game-changer in Jordan Davis - someone who they will scheme around because he will eat up blocks. Hamilton is amazing, but will not have the same potential effect on the defense that Davis will have.

The Eagles have proven to be terrible when drafting WRs. This is not just a Howie thing. This is an organizational thing. Even when a great college WR falls into their laps (Jeremy Maclin) they seem to only be OK. The only game-changing WR they have drafted was DeSean Jackson and before that was who, Fred Barnett? Mike Quick? Who is to say that Treylon Burks would have done anything here?

They have been much better off when they bring in a WR from outside (TO, Alshon, Fryer).

8 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

To recap the resources allocated to WR over the past 4 years:

2022 – 1st round pick + 3rd round pick + $100m contract

2021 – 1st round pick + 3rd round pick to trade up 

2020 – 1st round pick, 5th round pick, 6th round pick

2019 – 2nd round pick

By the start of the season, all those resources will likely end up amounting to only Brown, Smith and Watkins and a fairly significant cap hold. That's an awful use of resources and a complete indictment on Howie. Howie looks like he's playing fantasy football.

You can go 6 years and add 4th and 5th, plus the 3rd we traded for Golden Tate.

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Which is what again?  When did we trade for Wentz past his prime because we needed to jettison a Ben Simmons problem off our team?  

You're all over the place?  

And I am on my way to getting you riled up.  Just a little bit longer.  

You misunderstood. You have told me about 5 times that Harden won’t be my friend. And I have told you over and over, it’s not the player but the end goal I am concerned about. My point was, while Carson was playing on the Eagles his last two years, and he was terrible, you were the one telling everyone to layoff him. I don’t defend guys when they stink. 

8 minutes ago, GroundAttack said:

Every pick counts. Tyreek Hill a 5th rounder. Mailata in 7th round. Brady pick 199

Yes, outliers. Great. How about the thousands of Nate Gerry’s and Sean Considine’s?

6 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I think he's gonna be AMMAZING. at run stopping. which is what, 10 times a game out of 70

You truly are amazingly obtuse. Do you even understand the concepts that Gannon wants to run on the Dline? Wonder why Dean, Walker, Tindall, etc were so successful? I have a hint. We just drafted him at 13. 

10 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

To recap the resources allocated to WR over the past 4 years:

2022 – 1st round pick + 3rd round pick + $100m contract

2021 – 1st round pick + 3rd round pick to trade up 

2020 – 1st round pick, 5th round pick, 6th round pick

2019 – 2nd round pick

By the start of the season, all those resources will likely end up amounting to only Brown, Smith and Watkins and a fairly significant cap hold. That's an awful use of resources and a complete indictment on Howie. Howie looks like he's playing fantasy football.

He's garbage but he somehow still gets the benefit of the doubt not just from Lurie, but from plenty of fans too. I honestly don't understand it.

Just now, downundermike said:

I think so.  This draft is pretty deep, and could have maneuvered around the middle rounds.

I will be very curious to see the players available at the picks we traded, 101, 124, 162 and 166.  Based on the best available on ESPN, here is who is projected to be available.

124 - Troy Anderson, Brian Robinson Jr, Sam Williams, Alex Wright, Jalyn Armour-Davis, Bryan Cook

162 / 166 - Kyle Phillips, Luke Fortner, Zach Tom, Darrian Beavers, D'Marco Jackson, Ed Ingram, Marquis Hayes, Michael Clemons, Damarri Mathis, Justyn Ross, Tariq Castro-Fields

Multiple guys at positions of need that we could draft and develop.  Howie now needs to have a 100% success rate in rounds 2 and 3, and find a combination of DE, CB, S.

I believe that there was a majority that expected #101 to be used to maneuver in the first round.  That said, yes, it would have likely yielded a competent starter at a non-primary position.

#124 could have found a contributor.  #162 & #166 were lottery picks, albeit in a deep draft.

I don't get this notion that Howie HAS to hit in rounds 2/3 now that we have fewer picks on day three.

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

Yes, outliers. Great. How about the thousands of Nate Gerry’s?

You truly are amazingly obtuse. Do you even understand the concepts that Gannon wants to run on the Dline? Wonder why Dean, Walker, Tindall, etc were so successful? I have a hint. We just drafted him at 13. 

Easy to say that now. Never know how these picks will play out

I don't get this notion that Howie HAS to hit in rounds 2/3 now that we have fewer picks on day three.

Why not.  Eagles need a DE, CB and S for the future.  If Hurts does not work out,  you are potentially battling 4 other teams with 2 first round picks to get a QB, and they all have 1 pick that will be worse than both the Eagles picks.

Eagles only extra pick next year is the additional first, lets say they have to move up from the teens into the top 3 for a QB, how many of those picks is it going to take ??  The price to get a QB next year is going to be steep.

14 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Can you guarantee me Travis Jones in 2nd, and that Burks doesn’t bust (who I would’ve fine with at 18)… idk, I’m not losing sleep over this yet.

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I want to know who they think is going to be between 33-100 because there's probably a 0% chance any of those players are available at 101 and most not at 124.

I believe that there was a majority that expected #101 to be used to maneuver in the first round.  That said, yes, it would have likely yielded a competent starter at a non-primary position.

#124 could have found a contributor.  #162 & #166 were lottery picks, albeit in a deep draft.

He doesn't.

There will be UDFA. There will be veteran free agents they can sign after the draft. There will be players available on teams that just drafted their replacements.

There is still a lot of roster building left after the draft.

1 minute ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Can you guarantee me Travis Jones in 2nd, and that Burks doesn’t bust (who I would’ve fine with at 18)… idk, I’m not losing sleep over this yet.

Will be interesting to see it play out if the Ravens get Travis Jones.  If Jones is close to Davis in impact, it will look worse, and they also got Kyle Hamilton.

Just now, GroundAttack said:

Easy to say that now. Never know how these picks will play out

Exactly! If it helps, look at it as a whole. Pretend the Titans had 13 and it wasn’t Houston:

Eagles trade

18, 101, 124, 162, and 166

for

13 and AJ Brown

So for the cost of a compensatory 3rd and three Day 3 picks you moved up 5 slots in the first round, got the guy you coveted, and got a bonafide #1 WR. I make that trade every single time. 

Just now, downundermike said:

Why not.  Eagles need a DE, CB and S for the future.  If Hurts does not work out,  you are potentially battling 4 other teams with 2 first round picks to get a QB, and they all have 1 pick that will be worse than both the Eagles picks.

Eagles only extra pick next year is the additional first, lets say they have to move up from the teens into the top 3 for a QB, how many of those picks is it going to take ??  The price to get a QB next year is going to be steep.

Agreed that they need more help on defense.  I was countering the notion that 124/162/166 would possibly yield a player equivalent to a missed opportunity in rounds 2&3.

Also, success in the NFL these days is driven by a top offense, so the urgency for the defense is somewhat tempered.

Assuming the Thibodeaux rumors are true and we traded up to 6, do they still do the AJ Brown trade? 

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

if Muma, Chenal, and Brisker, Andersen make it to 101 we didn't do a good job at 51 or 83

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Will be interesting to see it play out if the Ravens get Travis Jones.  If Jones is close to Davis in impact, it will look worse, and they also got Kyle Hamilton.

I can side with your take only problem is i cant see them ever going safety first round.

Imagine the ragers that would be running around Philly if Dean fell to us at 51

3 minutes ago, bitbased said:

I want to know who they think is going to be between 33-100 because there's probably a 0% chance any of those players are available at 101 and most not at 124.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable

Nakobe Dean, Andrew Booth, Malik Willis, Arnold Ebiketie, David Ojabo, Kyler Gordon, Boye Mafe, Travis Jones, Desmond Ridder.

I mean, I could go on and on, but you have the link, go see for yourself.

Guest justrelax

I am ecstatic. 

Davis was always my #1 target, and I said so. He's a transformational player. He will make our defense, just as Vea does with the Bucs, as he did at Georgia. You can play two high safeties behind him because of his impact in the run game; you don't have to walk a safety down into the box. Howie went and added two LBs. White can run and cover and Reddick can rush the passer. Edwards showed quite a bit last year and getting Taylor back is almost a luxury. Those who moan that we never draft LBs have nothing to complain about now. We have a bunch of young DBs who will now have a chance to play zone, with less responsibilities in run support and a better pass rush in front of them. I expect Howie will add a couple more.

AJ Brown is a perfect fit opposite Smith - a big strong power receiver with good speed and great hands. Watkins should see single coverage next year from the third-best DB on the opposition.

Now, if we only had a QB...

Archived