EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

23 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The Athletics 2nd and 3rd round mock this morning.  How would you feel if this is the result of today ??

Hate Harris, dude is a miss tackle machine ..

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Im gonna say this, I doubt it happens... but we gotta go after Baker Mayfield.

Healthy he;'s better than Hurts and Baker has shown you with talented WR's and a running game he can succeed. 

Why do we need Baker when we have Minshew for free? 

3 minutes ago, Couch Potato said:

Mike, I'm a bit perplexed as to how you've arrived that first batch of players being available at those spots? 

Upon checking that ESPN list, the players that the Eagles would be missing out on at 101 would be whoever ESPN have rated at 69th best remaining at the moment (i.e. 32 picks already done + 69 = 101)

ESPN's 69 -75 are Armour -Davis, Shakir, Domann , Likely, Cook, Velus Jones and Asamoah

So a couple of the first ten guys you liked do fall in that range, but it's nothing like as bad as it looks in your post!

Yeah, I was not quite awake this morning, made that post adding our draft slots to 64 instead of 32, so move them all up 32 spots.

Point still stands, there will be guys that could help at 101 and 124, and Howie seems to have some success at 162 and 166.

1 minute ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Why do we need Baker when we have Minshew for free? 

I am not a Hurts guy and even I think getting Baker would be the worst idea ever.

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

It was a joke, I was told by 4-5 members for 15 pages telling me zero chance booth gets out of the first

Knowing you I'm surprised you didn't have some kind of wager on it 

I think teams were scared off by his injury

8 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Any chance we can move some of the dead weight (Reagor, Dillard) to recoup a few of those 3rd and 4th round picks we traded away?

That or I hope we can use one of them (probably Dillard) to move up our 2nd or 3rd round picks. Otherwise we pretty much have to stay put the rest of the draft unless if we want to use future picks.

24 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Im gonna say this, I doubt it happens... but we gotta go after Baker Mayfield.

Healthy he;'s better than Hurts and Baker has shown you with talented WR's and a running game he can succeed. 

I know it's Friday but stop drinking before noon. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

You'll be calling him the franchise after this season. 

You gonna take the people off ignore that you put on ignore when Hurts was ishing the bed against Tampa Bay ??

24 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

I'd bet my left nut the Eagles trade up for Ojabo today

I don't want your nut, but I have a friendly bet for you if interested...

22 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  Another fun night.  I told myself I wasn't drinking again tonight.  But I think I am.  Early dinner and a little shopping with the wife to smooth things over.  Then boom!  Back at it.  

I'd be cool with that too.  I am resigned with the fact that we just put guys in the secondary.  F it.  

I think they may be comfortable with letting McPhearson and Gowan battle it out for #2 CB. Move Vincent to S and Scott backs up Maddox.

11 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

@RememberTheKoy your boy has zero excuse to not put up 4000 yds passing and 25 passing TDs

Bingo.

11 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Jalen Rigor is cut Monday.  Silver lining. 

If they can't get a day 3 pick for him, it's possible. He's clearly behind Brown, Smith and Watkins...Paschal probably too.

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

You'll be calling him the franchise after this season. 

Look man, in all seriousness...I hope you're right.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

And you are 100% incorrect.  If you would use the technology at your disposal ( Twitter ), you would have known the Williams to Detroit selection was announced 4 minutes before the Eagles traded up.  It was also mentioned several times on the telecast that the team on the clock is notified who the selection before them is when they go on the clock. 

It is quite clear that Davis was the Eagles target, and the Ravens were going to take him if the Eagles did not trade up.  

edited to add ( thanks @Outlaw ) they had the AJ Brown deal done well before the draft, so there was no need to draft a WR.  Do you really think they made the trade, and then negotiated the new contract that quickly ??

Yes, I 100% think that he believes this is how it went down.  I'm not caught up yet, but I'm very excited to see him argue it over the next few pages.  

Just now, Saltpeter said:

Eagles offense is above average at every position besides QB.

Not at H Back

41 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

@HazletonEagle unlock your draft question thread so I can edit mine

but then what would be said about my integrity, and that of my amazing draft game?

Guest justrelax
5 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I have been saying that for some time.  Scott was added as insurance against Maddox leaving. He is out 2023 sixth round choice.  Out of college, Scott was really fluid in coverage. Sticks to coverage.  Designated as likely to move into the slot because of his size (5’9”).  (If he were 6’ 195, he would have been a first round draft choice.) Our 2022 sixth round choice is Kary Vincent. Kid is blazing fast. LSU played him outside, in the nickel and at FS.  Really liked his FS work.  Was also a candidate at nickel when we didn’t know if Maddox would return. Howie keeps calling him a CB, but I would like to see him at S.  Frankly, I thought Gowan projected better than his teammate Robinson.  Tall CB. Kid has a great ability to burst and position himself for defending passes.  We got him in the Ertz trade. I like Scott, Vincent and Gowan better than most of the remaining CBs.  I really think there will be a TC battle between Gowan and McPhearson to start opposite of Slay.  Gowan and Vincent fell because they sat out a Covid year and then declared while still green.  

Always like your comments on the secondary. You give me hope.

38 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

If Eagles don’t draft a safety wonder if they double back to honey badger

well Im sure some here would say it was impossible to sign our draft class and hand out that contract to AJ Brown. So on top of those things, where will the money come from for Mathieu?

Im sure Howie can do it. There are teams like Tennessee who have to give away young talent due to money. And then there is the eagles, with their elite GM taking advantage of those teams while fans complain about hour bad OUR GM is. 

22 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He was going nuts too posting workout videos every. single. day. 

Dude should do less working out and more practicing football.

He's going to turn into midget David Boston and bulk up right out of the league.

At least Boston was good before he got huge 

56 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I don't have much interest in seeing a 4th rounder and a bunch of UDFA playing outside CB after suffering through years of watching Mills, McKelvin, etc. get roasted deep game after game after game.  Slay gives the secondary some credibility, and he needs a decent successor.

Actually two fourth rounders (McPhearson and Scott), a sixth because he sat out for Covid (Gowan) and a seventh because he sat out for Covid that Howie traded a sixth for (Vincent).  Did you watch McPhearson at Texas Tech, Gowan at UCF, Scott at Michigan State or Vincent at LSU?  They aren’t some UDFAs. All have good speed.  McPhearson is the slowest.  I don’t think they get roasted deep.  Don’t judge by round.  Guess you hated Asante Samuel too (slow, short fourth rounder).

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

but then what would be said about my integrity, and that of my amazing draft game?

I'll destroy my cell phone when I'm done, it'll be fine

Just now, Utebird said:

Dude should do less working out and more practicing football.

He's going to turn into midget David Boston and bulk up right out of the league.

At least Boston was good before he got huge 

"working out" was probably poor phrasing by me. It was mostly him goofing off with his buddy in a gym

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

Jalen Rigor is cut Monday.  Silver lining. 

Actually, the can not cut Reagor.

If he is a pre June 1 cut, it adds 4.2 million to his 3.61 million cap hit.

If he is a post Jne 1 cut, it adds 2.4 million to his 3.61 million cap hit.

Pre June 1 trade, saves $ 13,576.00 ( yes, trading him will save us thirteen thousand, five hundred and seventy six dollars ) and leaves 3.6 dead

Post June 1 trade, saves 1.8 million and leaves 1.8 dead.  

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'll destroy my cell phone when I'm done, it'll be fine

"working out" was probably poor phrasing by me. It was mostly him goofing off with his buddy in a gym

That sounds more accurate...👎

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Tariq Woolen is a ++++++++++ athlete

There's a fair number of plus athletes in the secondary that should be available.  Also, Slay isn't young.  

13 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Any chance we can move some of the dead weight (Reagor, Dillard) to recoup a few of those 3rd and 4th round picks we traded away?

That chance is some.  

While there were other Eagles Round 1 scenarios that could have played out that would have also had merit, and could have been considered a successful Day 1, the Eagles exceeded my expectations last night.   

- I believed that DL was the biggest need overall on the team.   And I think Davis was a rare enough talent that he was definitely the right target.

- The WR corps really needed a young, quality, veteran more than another rookie.  And preferably a player that complemented what was already here, not another redundancy.   I don't see how AJ Brown doesn't fit that requirement almost perfectly.

- I've read some complaints about Fletcher Cox being resigned, specifically as it relates to the Davis pick.  I might be missing something, but I don't really see a valid connection?  Fletcher only cost them money, and while he might be overpaid, they probably rewarded him for re-working his deals over the years to provide more cap flexibility.   Fletcher is still an Average to slightly Above Average DT, so I don't see any problems.  He just provides more depth and takes pressure off Davis in Year 1.

- Going back almost 20 years now on this message board, I know that have been I guilty in the past of overvaluing total draft picks versus impact picks.    The Saints won a Super Bowl with something like 26 or 27 players on that roster entering the NFL as UDFA's.    Howie has his flaws, but he knows how to create additional draft capital.   

- And quite frankly, if the Eagles can add just a few additional impact players (via the Draft, UDFA, or Free Agency), then this team might only be a Top 10 QB away from being pretty good.    That QB may or may not be Jalen Hurts, and there are no guarantees that the Eagles will win any potential QB lottery in the 2023 Draft.   So QB is, and will continue to be, the biggest question mark hanging over this team over the next 12-24 months.   

12 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

I think Alontae Taylor and Jalen Armour-Davis are underrated. I think both could develop into starters. No more elite guys but plenty of talent left. 

I dont know where Amour-Davis came from. His name started popping up real late in the process and while he got added to the TDN prospect list late, theres not even a scouting report. I dont understand how an Alabama defender flew so much under the radar, and is also supposed to be good enough for 2nd round consideration?  Hes now ranked on that site highter than Jobe who is quite good and played on the same team. I dont understand how the other guy could have gone so unnoticed. I know nothing about him.

I do know HonestNFL said to look at Alabama CBs as scheme fits.

Yup and next year we will get a real QB not a fake one like Carson Strong, Kenny Pickett, and now I’m reading Faker Gayfeild 😂😂

Archived