EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UK Eagle said:

I suppose this draft is one of a GM that knows they have just signed a 3 year contract, rather than 1 year left on his deal.  Some picks not solving an immediate need, some positions not materially better since the season ended but as a 3 year play, the urgency to solve all issues is not so great.

Yeah I'm not a Howie fan but I feel better about the direction of the team. Feels like the future is setup outside of QB & secondary.  Not trivializing those at all but at least the list looks more narrow 

Teams really hated Strongs knee. Theres no way Oladokun should be going before him. 

7 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Yeah I'm not a Howie fan but I feel better about the direction of the team. Feels like the future is setup outside of QB & secondary.  Not trivializing those at all but at least the list looks more narrow 

DE 

I would rather have another running back instead of a te. That said I also don't know who was available at the time. 

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

From a continuity standpoint.... Being able to in theory give Kelce a year mentoring his replacement is good.  Having a DT to potentially learn from Cox is a $14m golden handshake, etc. The 2022 season will likely have some issues, but the core of the team is younger over the past 2 drafts.  WR, in theory, is no longer a concern. OL, is not a big concern, etc.

Whether Hurts stays or goes, there is optionality for next season. Next offseason, there should be no more excuses on roster composition or salary cap issues

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Teams really hated Strongs knee. Theres no way Oladokun should be going before him. 

His knee has to be shot. You would think even if there was slight concern, some team would have picked him by now.

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

Yeah was going to go back and add that.  Fair enough

CB , De and qb are 3 of the higher paid positions. It isn't that easy to fill with Productive players.  I do like the last 2 drafts.  Still plenty of work to do though 

2 minutes ago, eaglestime34 said:

CB , De and qb are 3 of the higher paid positions. It isn't that easy to fill with Productive players.  I do like the last 2 drafts.  Still plenty of work to do though 

Absolutely I think it could take years to get a QB but there exists the possibility of doing that & getting a CB next year. Maybe sign a S in free agency.  Team doesn't need to be perfect if it nails the QB which obviously is really really difficult

I skipped out on most of round 7, so bring me these guys as UDFAs (if they haven’t been picked)

QB - Strong, Coan

RB - Goodson, Price, Brooks, Z White (SC)

WR - Toure, Rambo

TE - Allen

DE - I Thomas, Tagliova or however it’s spelled), Luketa

LB - Domann

CB - Gray, I T-S, Gilbert, Goodrich

S - McKinley, Corker, Bell, Monday

Ultimately, the draft is about getting the best players. I think the Eagles got 4 starters, including AJ Brown, with their picks. Can't do much better than that.

But holy S today was a terrible viewing experience.

How many picks do the Eagles have in 2023 draft as it stands right now?

2 minutes ago, eaglestime34 said:

How many picks do the Eagles have in 2023 draft as it stands right now?

image.png.587f47f990ea44c7b8ac3783a0c6b239.png

Now that we are done picking in 2022, you all can begin criticizing Howie for these picks.

If we want a cheaper big back, Darrell Williams is still out there. Sony Michel as well. Looks like the UDFA RBs are gonna be garbage. 

11 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

From a continuity standpoint.... Being able to in theory give Kelce a year mentoring his replacement is good.  Having a DT to potentially learn from Cox is a $14m golden handshake, etc. The 2022 season will likely have some issues, but the core of the team is younger over the past 2 drafts.  WR, in theory, is no longer a concern. OL, is not a big concern, etc.

Whether Hurts stays or goes, there is optionality for next season. Next offseason, there should be no more excuses on roster composition or salary cap issues

Beyond the developmental aspect of having rookies learn behind vets, there is the added benefit of depth.

This is the NFL. Players get injured. There is no guarantee that Kelce or Cox even make it through preseason.

I guess I didn’t care for the AJ trade, seems like puss move. Could’ve rolled the dice on Burks as Tennessee did and kept the 3rd plus save $78 mil over 4 years. Johnson was there too and Pickens in the 2nd. Brown was my favorite receiver in the 2019 draft but too late now.

Got to think what could’ve taken place if we hadn’t traded up for Davis, sure he’d be a Raven but then maybe could’ve hit on Hamilton at 15 and then Johnson at 18 and oh yeah Travis Jones went 76 and picked by guess who ? Howie I guess got the message he’s not great at drafting. Did I mention Davis was my guy … at 15

I hope AJ Brown doesn't even bother with getting #11 on the Eagles and instead rocks 81.  Watching him reminds me so much of TO.

Archived