EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It's always been weird to me that teams don't just use a 7th on guys like Strong. You have a QB with major flaws but actual upside, and instead you use that pick on a backup guard or a punter or a slow CB?

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

It's always been weird to me that teams don't just use a 7th on guys like Strong. You have a QB with major flaws but actual upside, and instead you use that pick on a backup guard or a punter or a slow CB?

🤷‍♂️Makes no sense to me.  I guess they all felt they had the inside track to signing him.

10 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nah, not really.

Coulda saved yourself a lotta trouble with this:

Pop! Trolls - Rainbow Troll Standard : Amazon.ca: Home

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Pretty much a guarantee that that 2026 salary gets renegotiated, if not the 2025 as well.

It's a guarantee his contract will end up with dead cap years tacked on till 2035, even though he'll be long off the team by then. 

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

Coulda saved yourself a lotta trouble with this:

Pop! Trolls - Rainbow Troll Standard : Amazon.ca: Home

Oh, I know.  But, I don't do shirtless pics.    I just saw that ridiculous post and had to set the record straight.  

11 hours ago, Rhinoddd50 said:

The obvious concern with Carson Strong is that his mobility is so limited due to multiple injuries (that he may never fully recover from)...in order for him to actually move in the pocket they may need to load him on a dolly and push him around like Hanibal Lector.   

Some analysts and scouts make it sound like Drew Bledsoe would be like Lamar Jackson compared to Carson Strong.  If that is true I don't see how he can make it?    Or think of late career Jim McMahon who by the end was immobile and as brittle as a China doll.

I guess there is a chance as a career backup capable of staying healthy for short spurts?   A game here or there at points during the season?

I dont care about mobility and neither does Sirianni. He coached and reveres Philip Rivers. That guy had very little mobility. It's an overrated trait. The superbowl winning QB had a whopping 43 yards on 32 carries in 17 games. Im not worried about Strong's knee. Howie's medical team was fine enough with it that we signed him to one of the biggest UDFA contracts ever. Yall can choose to believe the reports that his knee is cooked and i'll believe the reports that his knee will be fine with time. Sirianni didnt draft Hurts and has yet to hand pick a QB in the draft, but he's signed Reid Sinnett/Joe Flacco and traded for Gardner Minshew and now you can add Strong to the list. Those 3 QB's i named have way more in common with Strong than Hurts. I have a hunch about how this is going to turn out, but i think we should all just let it play out instead of definitively saying what will or wont happen. 

20220421_011302.jpg.29e463b7c2ceff1916d224bc20425987.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I take Wentz and company over Hurts and team 10 days out of 10. 

You can have Rice, Moss and Tony Gonzalez in their primes but if you have Hurts throwing the ball it's a moot point.

Just as an exercise, take Wentz and Hurts out of it. And put in the same QB for both offenses....which skill players would you rather have?

3 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

I dont care about mobility and neither does Sirianni. He coached and reveres Philip Rivers. That guy had very little mobility. It's an overrated trait. The superbowl winning QB had a whopping 43 yards on 32 carries in 17 games. Im not worried about Strong's knee. Howie's medical team was fine enough with it that we signed him to one of the biggest UDFA contracts ever. Yall can choose to believe the reports that his knee is cooked and i'll believe the reports that his knee will be fine with time. Sirianni didnt draft Hurts and has yet to hand pick a QB in the draft, but he's signed Reid Sinnett/Joe Flacco and traded for Gardner Minshew and now you can add Strong to the list. Those 3 QB's i named have way more in common with Strong than Hurts. I have a hunch about how this is going to turn out, but i think we should all just let it play out instead of definitively saying what will or wont happen. 

Ya college football counts sacks as negative rush yardage for the QB. In the NFL, sacks count against team passing yards. What a disingenuous stat from Yates. 

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Eagles. 

but realistically, you take EVERY QB off every teams roster, give everyone the same QB, I'd probably have the Eagles offense in the top 8

We have a good set of skill players for sure...I'm not sure about top 8, I'd have to really think about it, but yeah we'd be up there. I don't think as highly of Sanders as maybe some others do, so that would drag us down a bit I think.

7 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

4.3 yards per attempt for a QB is a meaningless stat to consider.    If a QB has 3 yards on 3 carries, that could be a great "rushing" day, if those 3 carries are QB sneaks to convert for either a first down or touchdown.  

I don't care what the QB's yards per attempt are.  What I do care about is how well they throw the ball, read the defense, and lead the offense.  I look at running from my QB as a last resort, not as a part of the offensive philosophy.

32 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Agree. Especially if you have a comp pick; you can pick a marginal ST talent or take a risk on a QB that has a rocket arm with a known knee issue.  By that time, the cost risk is mitigated and at worst you have a 3rd QB under cost control for 3 years.  You can then spend less on a backup G, if that is what you wish to do

13 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Actually, 4.3 yards is pretty good for a stationary pocket passer

50 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

RIP EJ Perry.

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I look at running from my QB as a last resort, not as a part of the offensive philosophy.

Agreed. It's way down the list for me behind accuracy, touch, anticipation, processing, arm strength, clutch gene etc. All im saying is let the situation play out. The cream always rises to the top.

23 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I take Wentz and company over Hurts and team 10 days out of 10. 

You can have Rice, Moss and Tony Gonzalez in their primes but if you have Hurts throwing the ball it's a moot point.

Cool. Try here: https://es.redskins.com/

8 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I didn't break every team down, I just figured, we probably have a top 10 OL. Probably have a top 10 WR core now, I think Goedert is top 10, so if your top 10 if 3 of the 4 categories it should land you in the top 10. 

Side note, I'm not huge on Sanders, but in whole I like our RB group, and even giving Sanders the bulk of the player's we're no where near the lower 10 of RB rooms

@probably? We definitely have a top 10 OL. Probbbbably top 3.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

why would you pay for something when you know it'll be free, or probably free.

why would you draft someone lower on your draft board?

If you have Strong ranked 300, and know he won't be taken(or a strong feeling) and you have player X ranked 200 it seems like a easy desicion 

Crazy presumption that he'd be ranked 300 by a team.  The answer to why you'd draft him in Round 7, is because it virtually locks him in to your roster.  Waiting until the UDFA period puts him in control of where he goes, and as the other teams found out, they weren't the top choice or weren't willing to pay as much as another team and they missed out.   Maybe they are ok with that... but maybe they are disappointed now having missed out.

4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Actually, 4.3 yards is pretty good for a stationary pocket passer

Strong is a decent mover when healthy. If i was completing 70% of my passes and had a 5-1 TD-INT ratio, i wouldnt run much either.

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

You're assuming he was graded above their 7th round pick. I'm assuming they didn't. 

Maybe they wanted to make sure they locked up the guy they took in the 7th and it was more important. 

For all we know the Eagles could be looking for Camp Arms because we have 7 thousands wide receivers and didn't want to use real resources on QBs who won't make it out camp

Sure.  But given the discussions about him leading up to the draft... that's a bigger leap on your part than on mine.   

Teams removing him from the list for medical is drastically different from lowering his ranking based on his play on the field.

The Eagles wouldn't give him the biggest guaranteed money ever to a UDFA to be a camp arm.  Now you have gone from the absurd to the completely ridiculous.  

The chances the Eagles found themselves a long term answer at QB via undrafted rookie road , slim and none  , in fact if it were to happen , it would be first time ever .

2 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

The chances the Eagles found themselves a long term answer at QB vis undrafted rookie road , slim and none  , in fact if it were to happen , it would be first time ever .

A HoF QB came about as a UDFA - Kurt Warner.
Tony Romo was a long term answer at QB (granted, not an ideal one) as a UDFA.

Do you want to reevaluate your assertion?

If Strong can read the field better than Hurts, f it, I dont care, get him a wheelchair, he needs to start

8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

We have a good set of skill players for sure...I'm not sure about top 8, I'd have to really think about it, but yeah we'd be up there. I don't think as highly of Sanders as maybe some others do, so that would drag us down a bit I think.

If you go with skill position players along with OL the eagles are very likely in the top 5. Last year the eagles were 3rd in espn’s pass block win rate and 2nd in run block win rate and the 4th best oline according to pff. only other team’s olines that finished top 10 in both run and pass block win rate and be top 10 graded oline were: Washington, cleveland and chiefs. Washington also lost Brandon Scherff this offseason.

in terms of just skill position players teams that i think are pretty good. I think the eagles are better than some of them. And some of them are close. raiders with the addition of Adams is up there. Renfroe, Waller, Adams and jacobs is pretty damn good. The niners if they keep deebo with kittle, aiyuk and Elijah mitchell. The rams with Akers, robinson, kupp, van Jefferson and potentially bringing back obj. Tampa bay with Evans, godwin, fournette, gage and if gronk returns. Minnesota with Jefferson, thielen, cook (i think I’d take the eagles over them but i can see the argument with the Vikings). Chargers with Allen, Williams, ekeler and Everett. Steelers with Harris, diontae Johnson, claypool, Pickens and freiermuth. Cincinnati with chase, higgins, Boyd and mixon. Bills with Davis playing the way he did last postseason with diggs, crowder, Knox and singletary (I’d take the eagles over bulls). Cleveland has the two backs but i don’t really trust cooper and peoples-jones looked ok last year (take the eagles over the browns weapons). Miami has Hill, waddle, Cedric Wilson, gesicki and gaskin/mostert/chase edmonds. 

Archived