EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Not sure.  He also became a guy to drop one pass a game lately.  That needs to stop.  

yup

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RLC said:

Hurts is good enough to start in the league because there aren't 32 good QBs. We may agree that Hurts isn't the guy, but he'd be an upgrade for some teams.

:blink: name some

I have one last thing to say about Hurts, and then I want to move on and discuss the draft and QB options.  

Arm strength: objectively, no

Accuracy: objectively, no

Height: objectively, no

Mechanics: objectively, no

Quick natural release: objectively, no

Reading defenses: objectively, no

Going through progressions and field vision: objectively, no

Decision making: objectively, no

Mobility: objectively, yes

THIS is the guy that you want to link up with a QB guru, give more time, and develop?  This is who you want to prop up, coach up, and build our offense around?  Frankly, anyone who ever considered it should have no credibility.  This isn't just picking the wrong guy or making the wrong decision.  It's insanity.  Why on earth would you wait for him to develop?  What are you waiting for?  Who cares if he marginally improves as a passer?  To quote the great Ricky Waters..."for who, for what?"  

1 minute ago, greend said:

:blink: name some

I don't think I could name 30 teams for whom he'd be an upgrade as a backup.

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

The worst pick he made was Clelin Ferrell but an argument can be made that the 2019 class was very good overall.  They got Crosby, Jacobs and Renfrow.  Abrams has also improved greatly and looks like he's finally worth the pick.  I do think Ruggs and Arnette are failures despite them having talent.  Maybe there was nothing they could have done but maybe there's more that other organizations do that they should have done. 

He can get blame for Arnette.  The red flags were there ahead of time, as was the talent.  He was clearly a first round talent, but was expected to drop due to the off field stuff.  They gambled on him to straighten out, and he didn't.  That's bad.  Ruggs... that was all maturity.  There were no red flags that I recall about him pre-draft at all.  Not sure what the team could have done to stop him from wrecking his life, and killing someone else.   Still just so tragic...and pointless.  

11 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Sounds like setting a very low bar out of fear of possibly getting worse. 

my thought at the beginning of the year was you wanted hurts to be either really good/great or really bad. You didn’t want somewhere in the middle where he wasn’t bad enough but he also wasn’t good enough to commit to tying yourself to him him long term and stuck in no man’s land. I would argue being stuck in no man’s land at QB is arguably worse than if hurts was just awful this year. 

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

I have one last thing to say about Hurts, and then I want to move on and discuss the draft and QB options.  

THIS is the guy that you want to link up with a QB guru, give more time, and develop?  This is who you want to prop up, coach up, and build our offense around?  Frankly, anyone who ever considered it should have no credibility.  This isn't just picking the wrong guy or making the wrong decision.  It's insanity.  Why on earth would you wait for him to develop?  What are you waiting for?  Who cares if he marginally improves as a passer?  To quote the great Ricky Waters..."for who, for what?"  

As an eternal optimist, I've often clashed with your opinions and stances. This is not one of them. Bang on. 

29 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Lol that's sad that we had 2 of these

Only six WRs in NFL history have been drafted in the first round, started at least 20 games in their first two years and and had fewer than 700 career receiving yards. Only three since 1977: Darrius Heyward-Bey of the Raiders in 2009 and 2010, Nelson Agholor in 2015 and 2016 and Jalen Reagor in 2020 and 2021. Reagor this year became only the sixth WR drafted in the first round since 1977 to start at least 12 games and have fewer than 300 yards and only the third ever who wasn’t a rookie – along with Tex Coulter of the Giants in 1947 and Larry Burton of the Saints in 1976. I don’t care about the $7.84 million cap hit. He has to go. Has to. Come on, Howie!

Wow.    So, what we see is that Howie is historically bad.   If the bolded refers to Reagor, I agree.  If the bolded refers to Howie...  I agree again.

12 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yep, I have been accused of being racist for not liking Hurts.  I have also openly said I would acquire Deshaun Watson in a second if available.  

I do not understand that logic.

Throwing around the term racist has nothing to do with logic. It has to do with folks that have no rational argument to support their position. Unless of course you really are a racist (not saying you are one)

21 minutes ago, RLC said:

Hurts is good enough to start in the league because there aren't 32 good QBs. We may agree that Hurts isn't the guy, but he'd be an upgrade for some teams.

I agree... but that team would still be looking for an upgrade from him as well.  

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

my thought at the beginning of the year was you wanted hurts to be either really good/great or really bad. You didn’t want somewhere in the middle where he wasn’t bad enough but he also wasn’t good enough to commit to tying yourself to him him long term and stuck in no man’s land. I would argue being stuck in no man’s land at QB is arguably worse than if hurts was just awful this year. 

I agree. Purgatory sucks worse than outright sucking. 

5 minutes ago, Godfather said:

There should've been no surprise of Hurts horrible play on Sunday. He's been pooping the bed all year

You should not be in bed with Hurts. 

I said it when Hurts was drafted...you can reach and take a chance on a raw 6'5" qb with a huge arm who has not learned to play the position and hasn't had the right coaching.  You can reach and take a chance on a 6'1-6'2" passer with an average arm who is surgical with his reads, refinement, and accuracy.

Why. the. hell.  would you reach and take a chance on a raw 6' qb with a noodle arm who has not learned to play any aspect of the position and was passed over by the best coach in NCAA history?  

It was asinine from the beginning.  It has always been asinine each step of the way, even with the isolated efficient games with zero degree of difficulty passing, and it's just more popular to accept it as such now after a frustrating playoff loss...but that's just one game.  This was a fool's errand from day 1 and it's disconcerting that anyone would have actually chosen this path.

8 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Just now, eagle45 said:

I said it when Hurts was drafted...you can reach and take a chance on a raw 6'5" qb with a huge arm who has not learned to play the position and hasn't had the right coaching.  You can reach and take a chance on a 6'1-6'2" passer with an average arm who is surgical with his reads, refinement, and accuracy.

Why. the. hell.  would you reach and take a chance on a raw 6' qb with a noodle arm who has not learned to play any aspect of the position and was passed over by the best coach in NCAA history?  

It was asinine from the beginning.  It has always been asinine each step of the way, even with the isolated efficient games with zero degree of difficulty passing, and it's just more popular to accept it as such now after a frustrating playoff loss...but that's just one game.  This was a fool's errand from day 1 and it's disconcerting that anyone would have actually chosen this path.

Fibber

20 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I tend to think Reagor would do a little better production wise if he had a regular accurate QB.  His QB play the last 2 years with Wentz and Hurts has been atrocious. 

With that said, I still want him and JJAW outta here.  Reagor should have been a 3rd round pick at the highest.  And I thought when we drafted him that he was at least better than Aiyuk.

I disagreed at the time.   Aiyuk was my ideal to pair with Jefferson being taken in Round 1.   Aiyuk was never a first rounder to me.  Then again, neither was Reagor.  

Our focus has been taken from the real problem with this team:  Howie "f'n" Roseman.  We need to refocus our hate to run that guy out of town on a rail. 

All of our draft resources and cap space mean nothing with that guy making the picks.  

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Daniel Jones what?  Hurts is not a better QB than Daniel Jones.  He might be a better rpo player.  But not a better QB.  

Eagles saw first hand Jones running ability.  Jalen Hurts career long run, 31 yards, Daniel Jones, 80 yards.

17 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Nope. That's the Peter Principle in full effect. Hurts ideal position is a back-up QB, who can come in off the bench due to injury and win a game or two with his legs. He's not a full term, 17 game a year guy. He's too inconsistent passing to be that. Further, his ideal spot would be Lamar Jackson's backup, as you can effectively run the same offense if/when Lamar goes down. Unfortunately for us, Huntley is a similar player and so Baltimore has no need to acquire Hurts. 

If we believe the eagles at face value, they drafted hurts to be a backup that could start in spots if wentz got hurt. The reality is if we believe the eagles intentions for hurts when he was drafted  was he was a cheap backup QB then the eagles own scouts told fans they didn’t believe he was a high end starter in this league. Unless we are to believe the eagles are lying and drafted him cause they didn’t fully believe in wentz anymore and he was their insurance plan to wentz if they had to eventually move on at some point in time. 

6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

As an eternal optimist, I've often clashed with your opinions and stances. This is not one of them. Bang on. 

I often lean negative, which is my fault.  I think there are gray areas where I am often too critical simply because I am stubborn and struggle to accept anything other than what I want.  When those gray areas lead to mistakes, which happens, I probably get too upset.

And then there are failures due to objectively bad ideas.  IMO, I've seen 2 of those in recent years.  One was the 12 personnel pairing with slow, possession WRs.  The other is the Jalen Hurts experiment.  The notion that either could have been a serviceable plan just makes me question the judgement of anyone who pursued them.

19 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Nope. Reagor is lazy. He's got some physical abilities that should translate, but they never will because he's just too damn lazy. It's why I went off during the game when they threw him a comeback route on a 4th down play. Ridiculous to even have that play in the playbook, ridiculous for Hurts to even consider him as an option on that play. A comeback route requires the WR to fight back to the ball, and it requires the ball to be thrown with some velocity. Both things are the exact opposite of what Reagor and Hurts do. 

I did say "a little better".  Not much better.

I do think he would improve slightly if the QB throwing the ball was accurate and could get him some passes in stride.

3 minutes ago, greend said:

Fibber

After the second post, I was going to go back and edit that line...entirely because I knew you'd be the one to call me out on that.  Thank you for not disappointing me.

1 minute ago, Cliftoma said:

Our focus has been taken from the real problem with this team:  Howie "f'n" Roseman.  We need to refocus our hate to run that guy out of town on a rail. 

All of our draft resources and cap space mean nothing with that guy making the picks.  

I have enough hate to go around..............................thanks

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

If we believe the eagles at face value, they drafted hurts to be a backup that could start in spots if wentz got hurt. The reality is if we believe the eagles intentions for hurts when he was drafted  was he was a cheap backup QB then the eagles own scouts told fans they didn’t believe he was a high end starter in this league. Unless we are to believe the eagles are lying and drafted him cause they didn’t fully believe in wentz anymore and he was their insurance plan to wentz if they had to eventually move on at some point in time. 

The bolded is not a stretch

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

After the second post, I was going to go back and edit that line...entirely because I knew you'd be the one to call me out on that.  Thank you for not disappointing me.

lol, I don't think you should limit yourself in that area just yet honestly. I have no confidence that he won't be the starter again next year

Archived