EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

28 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think he'd be a much better RB than WR.

No. Davis Mills...maybe.

I dont know about reagor at RB, he's got the build and explosiveness for it but he doesn't play through contact or show any ability to make anyone miss and I imagine his pass blocking would be atrocious.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's very fair to compare him.  Dual threat QBs who took time to develop their passing game at the pro level. 

OK, I'll compare them. One has an NFL arm, the other does not.

28 minutes ago, RLC said:

Denver, Pittsburgh, Houston, New York Jets, New York Giants, Carolina, New Orleans.
There are toss-ups in Detroit, Washington, Cleveland, Chicago, Indy....

Reminder: Hurts was 19th in QBR, 14th in EPA, 23rd in passer rating. There are going to be teams with much worse options.

Fair enough but honestly If I'm any of those teams I'm not trading for Hurts

9 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

The decision could be made today, and you keep all of your draft resources if you get a 3rd round pick for Hurts and use it on drafting a more suitable prospect, and have 4 years to develop them.  You really want to 'make do' for two more years with a QB who hasn't won a football game with his passing arm in his entire career to date? 

Beat me to it. The problem with afan's theory is that Hurts is already in the middle of his contract and isn't taking us anywhere and may actually be holding some development back.   He isn't getting a second contract and his value drops by holding onto him.

I am not big on jamming alot of draft resources into getting a "name"  to build the roster.  Get what you can for Hurts (likely 3rd).  Then either draft a premium QB (Pickett) OR make a trade for Carr or Jimmy G and pair them with a developmental QB.  Also, If we just want a placeholder, Minshew can play that part.  I don't see any value in waiting once Hurts' non-SB ceiling is identified.

15 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

So glad to see you finally admit that it wasn't any master plan by Howie, but just luck that every move worked out. 

Progress. Baby steps, but progress.

Just now, Outlaw said:

DJ Chark is my guy for talent to cost ratio. I think a 6'4" guy across from DeVonta is a plus.

I loved Chark in the draft and think there is a lot more to him that has not yet been unlocked.  He'll be 26 next year, presumably will have something left in the tank for whenever the QB situation is figured out.

He might be a candidate for one of those in vogue 1 year deals to get a better contract, especially after the dysfunction in Jacksonville.  No WR would ever come here for one of those.  We'd have to offer him multiple years and would have to outbid everyone.  

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I dont know about reagor at RB, he's got the build and explosiveness for it but he doesn't play through contact or show any ability to make anyone miss and I imagine his pass blocking would be atrocious.

Reagor will be playing opposite Slay next year.

26 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's very fair to compare him.  Dual threat QBs who took time to develop their passing game at the pro level. 

Yeah, 6'5" with arguably the strongest arm in the NFL versus 6' with no arm.  Great comparison.

And if Hurts is going to take time to develop, that's fine.  Then he can go take time to develop behind the scenes as a backup.  If someone gets hurt, then he can show the world his wonderful progress.  That's how it works with QBs that have Hurts' level of passing talent and refinement/need for development time.

17 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Using the Rams and Stafford as a blueprint is insanely stupid.  

Right? I’m really sure the bengals are regretting taking Joe Burrow when they were sitting at 2 wins with a bottom 5 roster, an awful oline (still not that good), devoid of talent all over on defense and but had a few playmakers like Boyd and mixon. Meanwhile if they win this weekend they could be playing in the AFC championship game two years removed from being a 2 win team.

and I’m also sure the Los Angeles chargers are not really regretting taking Justin Herbert who for the next decade is probably going to be great and likely a contender once they add more around him.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Daniel Jones what?  Hurts is not a better QB than Daniel Jones.  He might be a better rpo player.  But not a better QB.  

I don't know if Jones is a better QB.  I mean he has a better arm but it seems like he has the same or worse accuracy issues.  He also just hasn't improved granted he's been playing for a disaster of an organization and behind a terrible o-line.  I don't think Jones has shown that he is any better at reading defenses, making better decisions with more accuracy.  He seems to me to be just as inconsistent.  Maybe he would be different with better coaching but I don't think he's good.  He's also been the same level of not good for the last 3 seasons.  

This is Hurts accuracy stats on prf:

020 22 PHI   2 15 4 77 148 1061 5 12 1 4 3.0% 36 26.7% 82 60.7%
2021 23 PHI QB 1 15 15 265 432 3144 11 22 2 22 5.4% 57 14.0% 319 78.2%

This is Jones:

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Cmp
Att Yds Bats ThAwy Spikes Drops Drop% BadTh Bad% OnTgt OnTgt%
2019 22 NYG QB 8 13 12 284 459 3027 6 12 0 17 3.8% 80 17.9% 318 71.1%
2020 23 NYG QB 8 14 14 280 448 2943 8 14 2 23 5.3% 76 17.6% 325 75.2%
2021 24 NYG QB 8 11 11 232 361 2428 5 12 1 19 5.5% 64 18.4% 265 76.1%

The last category is what they call the percentage of on target throws.  The percentage category before that is the bad throw percentage.  Jones has more bad throws in less attempts and is on target the same amount with Hurts' number being higher.  It's not like he's much more accurate and he's not really improved much over three seasons.  

Then look at his air yards:

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Cmp Att Yds IAY IAY/PA CAY CAY/Cmp CAY/PA YAC YAC/Cmp
2019 22 NYG QB 8 13 12 284 459 3027 3689 8.0 1619 5.7 3.5 1408 5.0
2020 23 NYG QB 8 14 14 280 448 2943 3395 7.6 1827 6.5 4.1 1116 4.0
2021 24 NYG QB 8 11 11 232 361 2428 2616 7.2 1334 5.8 3.7 1094 4.7

vs. Hurts

2020 22 PHI   2 15 4 77 148 1061 1350 9.1 593 7.7 4.0 468 6.1
2021 23 PHI QB 1 15 15 265 432 3144 3867 9.0 1681 6.3 3.9 1463 5.5

The numbers are lower and while some of that may be due to scheme my guess is it reflects where he's comfortable passing.  The YAC/Cmp stats is almost a yard lower than any decent starting QB and lower than Hurts.  I think Hurts isn't good and hasn't been good but Jones is trash too.  

20 minutes ago, GroundAttack said:

Would like us to go after Allen Robinson or Adam Thielen

Can they throw?

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

As a disclaimer, I am not suggesting this...but if we were to just look at physical attributes alone, since the WR ship has sailed, Reagor would make an interesting safety.

Good size for the position, nice speed, fantastic ups to break up passes, at least has the frame, if not the toughness, to also be physical.

2 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

11 Eagles who need to be gone- article by Reuben Frank. I agree with him. There are more, these these guys are in the spotlight for now:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/11-eagles-who-need-be-gone-2022

I disagree on Nelson.  I don't think he "needs to be gone", but I doubt the Eagles are in a position to re-sign him, either.  Two different things to me.

8 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

OK, I'll compare them. One has an NFL arm, the other does not.

Technically, you seem to be contrasting them.

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Like when we play whatever team picks him up?

23 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Luck is the residue of design.

It was clearly luck, the fact that it was attempted to be duplicated the next few seasons, and got progressively worse.

Question for you, why do you post these long stated as fact posts, but do not reply to discuss them.  Are you better than the rest of us and your opinion can not be questioned ??

1 minute ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

People think we can get a 3rd for Hurts? LMAO

Yes -- and we're counting on you to drive him to the airport.  We don't validate parking and we don't pay for gas; you're on the hook for those.

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

As a disclaimer, I am not suggesting this...but if we were to just look at physical attributes alone, since the WR ship has sailed, Reagor would make an interesting safety.

Good size for the position, nice speed, fantastic ups to break up passes, at least has the frame, if not the toughness, to also be physical.

The fact that he looks like he has cement blocks on his feet any time he tries to change direction tells me he would be horrible in coverage.

3 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

People think we can get a 3rd for Hurts? LMAO

Eagles got a 6th, conditional to a 5th for Flacco in mid-season.  :blink:

Teams do stupid stuff when it comes to the QB position.  So, we can certainly hope for some of that residue to fall our way.

I have been doing some digging into Carson Strong, seeing what people are saying about him. The name that I have seen come up more than once as a comparison is Drew Lock. Any legitimacy there?

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

It was clearly luck, the fact that it was attempted to be duplicated the next few seasons, and got progressively worse.

Question for you, why do you post these long stated as fact posts, but do not reply to discuss them.  Are you better than the rest of us and your opinion can not be questioned ??

The thing that makes this all great is that he defends we need to get a cheap quality back up quarterback due to cap space issues so we spent a second round pick on that. Meanwhile in 2021 they had even less cap space and they didn’t spend the second round pick to get another quality back up quarterback in Joe Flacco and traded a six round pick to get Gardner Minshew. So they got 2 for less than the value of a second round pick. So the moral of the story is no you don’t need to spend a second round pick to get a cheap quality back up quarterback.

the Eagles just did it because they believe they are a quarterback factory. Meanwhile the Chargers have drafted drew Brees, Philip Rivers and Justin Herbert over the last 20 years. That’s a Quarterback factory. the eagles are a mom and pop shop that every couple years since mcnabb got dealt gets high level franchise QB play. 

41 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Jalen Hurts will never, ever be able to make throws like this.

Archived