****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

It's between Wolves, Chelsea and Man Utd and think Leicester City will be on the outside 

Is he right or left footed or just doesn't matter. Greenwood is already a world class striker at 18

and if Citeh loses their appeal all three of those teams could get in

14 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Is he right or left footed or just doesn't matter. Greenwood is already a world class striker at 18

World class is a touch too far I think bud. But he's certainly got world class potential there’s no doubt about that. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

World class is a touch too far I think bud. But he's certainly got world class potential there’s no doubt about that. 

Why not?  How many guys can score with class with each foot right now? That 2nd goal was off his weak foot. 

He has more scored more goals then Firminho who is considered it. 

15 goals so for and has now scored as many goals this season as Romelu Lukaku did last season.

He’s done it in 1,015 fewer minutes. The equivalent of 11.3 fewer full games

Maybe is a bit to far too fast, but I already put it on the internet so I'm sticking with it. 

Good news for US soccer fans as Pulisic has been excellent since they started playing again.  He looks dangerous on nearly every run and is the guy on the pitch creating the most serious opportunities.  Small sample but still a good sign.

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Why not?  How many guys can score with class with each foot right now? That 2nd goal was off his weak foot. 

He's just breaking through in to the first team. He needs to show consistency for a couple of years first before the world class tag is used. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's just breaking through in to the first team. He needs to show consistency for a couple of years first before the world class tag is used. 

Usually in soccer if you got that "it "factor then it stays especially 18 playing at Manchester United. Not a middle tier club in Netherlands. 

Would you say the same about Sancho who is just in his 2nd full season starting at a high end club?

5 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Usually in soccer if you got that "it "factor then it stays especially 18 playing at Manchester United. Not a middle tier club in Netherlands. 

Would you say the same about Sancho who is just in his 2nd full season starting at a high end club?

I wouldn't call Sancho World class yet either but he's on his way for sure. World class gets thrown around too often I think. 

We've seen plenty of players burst on to the scene and then burn out. Let's wait and see with Greenwood. But his future looks very very bright. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't call Sancho World class yet either but he's on his way for sure. World class gets thrown around too often I think. 

We've seen plenty of players burst on to the scene and then burn out. Let's wait and see with Greenwood. But his future looks very very bright. 

Agreed. World class has become cheapened recently. I wouldn’t even call Haaland world class yet, and he’s scored 44 goals in 2700 minutes, 23 of them in Europe and Germany. If he does this again next year, then yes, he will get the title.

But for now he’s simply the best young player in the world (setting aside Mbappe, who is an established world class player at this point). Greenwood looks extremely exciting, but he still has a long way to go to establish himself as a world class player.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I’ve seen a whole lot of young players with the "it” factor fizzle out. Just at Madrid, you had everyone from Robinho to James Rodriguez. 

Unless you are putting up scoring numbers like Mbappe or El Fenomino as a teenager while also passing the eye test, I tend to hold off on my praise.

Anyway, in La Liga news... Madrid hold a 4 point advantage, plus the head to head tie breaker, over Barca with just four matches left to play. I am cautiously optimistic that we can hold onto the trophy due to the team defense and offensive spark from young wingers Asensio (what a return from ACL injury performance he has put in!), Vinicius and Rodrygo. This is like the polar opposite of Zidane’s threepeat teams. Mendy has taken Marcelo’s LB spot and makes his mark defensively and we win 1-0 or 2-1 type games.

Speaking of Rodriguez, James seems to be available for the bargain price of €22M. It wasn’t that long ago that he was considered the sport’s next great midfielder. If I were a team looking to make a UCL push, I would snap him up in a second. You do have to protect him on defense and have an offensive system that properly utilizes him, but at that price, he’s worth the gamble.

Barca continues with their bizarre transfer policy. They are really trying to win with Messi while they still have him, but continue to bring in old expensive players. I hope I don’t sound too excited when I say that I think there are going to be some dark times ahead for Barca. Their golden generation is on their last legs, their finances are in tatters, and they simply aren’t the same team as they were a few seasons ago.

27 minutes ago, TEW said:

I’ve seen a whole lot of young players with the "it” factor fizzle out. Just at Madrid, you had everyone from Robinho to James Rodriguez. 

Unless you are putting up scoring numbers like Mbappe or El Fenomino as a teenager while also passing the eye test, I tend to hold off on my praise.

They were future stars at lower end clubs and couldn't handle the pressures. 

I'm sticking with it and will just agree to disagree. 

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

They were future stars at lower end clubs and couldn't handle the pressures. 

I'm sticking with it and will just agree to disagree. 

Uh, they were at Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world, and James Rodriguez literally won the golden boot at the World Cup and was named best midfielder in La Liga for the 2014/15 season over the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Modric, and Kroos...

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Uh, they were at Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world, and James Rodriguez literally won the golden boot at the World Cup and was named best midfielder in La Liga for the 2014/15 season over the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Modric, and Kroos...

Uh I know where he was and what he did for Columbia 

6 hours ago, TEW said:

Agreed. World class has become cheapened recently. I wouldn’t even call Haaland world class yet, and he’s scored 44 goals in 2700 minutes, 23 of them in Europe and Germany. If he does this again next year, then yes, he will get the title.

But for now he’s simply the best young player in the world (setting aside Mbappe, who is an established world class player at this point). Greenwood looks extremely exciting, but he still has a long way to go to establish himself as a world class player.

Precisely. Greenwood looks a really exciting talent but we both know plenty of exciting young talents have fizzled out. 13 goals in one season for an 18 year old is fantastic but it's a long way short of Michael Owen at 18 years old. Admittedly with a lot less minutes but that really isn't the point. Greenwood looks exciting and could go on to become world class but consistency is the key to that.

@TEW Give me a summary on Hazard’s first year

59 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Looked good early, then got hurt and missed a lot of time, came back healthy after the league opened back up and looked great.

4 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

In the grand scheme of things, as a Chelski fan, are you happy ultimately they moved on? I mean grand scheme of things you're attack may end up stronger overall. 

26 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In the grand scheme of things, as a Chelski fan, are you happy ultimately they moved on? I mean grand scheme of things you're attack may end up stronger overall. 

Well it was all a big uncertainty with Hazard and others leaving and no xfer windows for two periods.  In the end it looks like it was a blessing in disguise but we aren't ready to render the final verdict yet.

5 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Well it was all a big uncertainty with Hazard and others leaving and no xfer windows for two periods.  In the end it looks like it was a blessing in disguise but we aren't ready to render the final verdict yet.

I would it is a blessing in disguise. Got Werner a few weeks ago, Ziyech in the winter and Pulisic is coming on hot! Now hearing leading the chase for Kai Havertz. 

I think Liverpool run was incredible but already over. Man Utd and Chelsea have so much young talent and City has deep deep pockets 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I would it is a blessing in disguise. Got Werner a few weeks ago, Ziyech in the winter and Pulisic is coming on hot! Now hearing leading the chase for Kai Havertz. 

Havertz would be a weird one I think. I mean do they need another attacking midfielder? Having already added 2 and with Pulisic really coming along. 

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Havertz would be a weird one I think. I mean do they need another attacking midfielder? Having already added 2 and with Pulisic really coming along. 

Pedro and Willian leaving though. I’d rather keep Willian another couple years. He isn’t great but he’s damn consistent and always adds energy and pace. 

3 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Pedro and Willian leaving though. I’d rather keep Willian another couple years. He isn’t great but he’s damn consistent and always adds energy and pace. 

I thought there were reports that Willian was in talks to sign a new deal? And then what about Hudson-Odoi?

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I thought there were reports that Willian was in talks to sign a new deal? And then what about Hudson-Odoi?

The Willian situation is fluid but if they add new attackers he will be sold. Hudson-Odoi will be there. He has every chance of succeeding. So young and raw at the moment. 

27 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

The Willian situation is fluid but if they add new attackers he will be sold. Hudson-Odoi will be there. He has every chance of succeeding. So young and raw at the moment. 

What's happened with Hudson-Odoi? It doesn't feel like that long ago that he was starting to break through in to the England squad and Bayern were interested. But it all seems quite quiet. 

33 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What's happened with Hudson-Odoi? It doesn't feel like that long ago that he was starting to break through in to the England squad and Bayern were interested. But it all seems quite quiet. 

I don't know anything about the internals but he just never saw his time on the pitch increase.  Willian has been the best player on the team really to be honest (other than Kante) and with Pulisic coming on and Mount there isn't a spot out there for him in the starting lineup.  Pedro has also stolen some of his sub time as well.

HudO is only 19 so no panic.  They are bringing him along slowly.  Remember it wasn't too far back that Pulisic was on the bench or up in the stands even.  I think Lampard likes to motivate these guys by putting them in the dog house for a while.  I know he has made comments about HudO needed to gain more consistency.

• Like 1