****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

4 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Refs have been garbage all around, not really seeing any favoritism to Argentina or any other one team, but okay.

English refs have been the best to me, I always liked Michael Oliver 

8 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Refs have been garbage all around, not really seeing any favoritism to Argentina or any other one team, but okay.

Did you not see the build up to the Messi penalty against the Netherlands? 

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Did you not see the build up to the Messi penalty against the Netherlands? 

I came home right as ET was starting, so no I missed most of the game and only caught the highlights. What was the issue?

22 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I came home right as ET was starting, so no I missed most of the game and only caught the highlights. What was the issue?

Van Dijk clears the ball. It doesn't go out of play but Argentina claim a throw, take a throw (so handball technically) and from it get a penalty within a matter of seconds. Its corrupt, the whole thing is corrupt. If Argentina win the WC I honestly won't follow soccer anymore (and I'm not a big fan of it now as it is).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Van Dijk clears the ball. It doesn't go out of play but Argentina claim a throw, take a throw (so handball technically) and from it get a penalty within a matter of seconds. Its corrupt, the whole thing is corrupt. If Argentina win the WC I honestly won't follow soccer anymore (and I'm not a big fan of it now as it is).

I missed that, but the penalty itself didn't seem controversial. If it's as you say though, why would the ref give 11 min of stoppage time in that game allowing Netherlands to equalize? Sure seems like they'd have been more conservative and given far less time if they really wanted Argentina to win, no?

The Messi handball was just Fing ridiculous and nothing was called. 

I personally like the extra time and EPL needs to take notice. They did reporting and cmae out actually game time was around 55 minutes 

• Like 1

There are three teams I hate when it comes to international soccer. I only root for them if they're playing one of the other two teams. One of those three teams did not qualify for this year's event. The other two are now in the final.

I positively hate this matchup. I guess I'll root for Argentina. I won't enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

There are three teams I hate when it comes to international soccer. I only root for them if they're playing one of the other two teams. One of those three teams did not qualify for this year's event. The other two are now in the final.

I positively hate this matchup. I guess I'll root for Argentina. I won't enjoy it.

Final Four bored me. 

Sit back and counter teams are fun until they each a certain stage because the other teams quality is usually just to good and will pick them apart. We saw it in both match ups 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Final Four bored me. 

Sit back and counter teams are fun until they each a certain stage because the other teams quality is usually just to good and will pick them apart. We saw it in both match ups 

Agreed. I also find the final to be an odd time. I mean I know it's for a global audience (I guess) but it's quite early in the day here in the UK. Kick off is like 3pm. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I also find the final to be an odd time. I mean I know it's for a global audience (I guess) but it's quite early in the day here in the UK. Kick off is like 3pm. 

At least it won't interfere with NFL football here. Ratings would plummet if it was on at 2PM EST going up against football.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

At least it won't interfere with NFL football here. Ratings would plummet if it was on at 2PM EST going up against football.

That's very true very very true. I mean I won't even be watching the final. I have zero interest.

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Final Four bored me. 

Yup.

Counter attacking football can be fun to watch IF it’s a talented team (example would be Mourinho’s Madrid teams). If it’s just a style of play, then you get the contrast of possession vs counter attack which can create a lot of excitement.

But when it’s a team that lacks talent which is just trying to stay in the game and hope a few things go their way, it’s not very entertaining.

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

France, Argentina and ______?

3 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

The Messi handball was just Fing ridiculous and nothing was called. 

I personally like the extra time and EPL needs to take notice. They did reporting and cmae out actually game time was around 55 minutes 

It was called, I thought, but if you meant carded, yeah that should've probably been a yellow. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Messi is their little pet. He's FIFAs golden child.

The ref gave him a yellow later in the same game for protesting too much. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

At least it's on a Sunday. I couldn't give a lot of the games my full attention because they were on weekdays during work hours.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Yup.

Counter attacking football can be fun to watch IF it’s a talented team (example would be Mourinho’s Madrid teams). If it’s just a style of play, then you get the contrast of possession vs counter attack which can create a lot of excitement.

But when it’s a team that lacks talent which is just trying to stay in the game and hope a few things go their way, it’s not very entertaining.

Italy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TEW said:

Let's just say it's a country which has won the World Cup multiple times and failed to qualify in an embarrassing fashion. You know.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

At least it's on a Sunday. I couldn't give a lot of the games my full attention because they were on weekdays during work hours.

I watched some games but it was more background noise than anything.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Messi is their little pet. He's FIFAs golden child.

I haven't seen anything specific to support this assertion.  At least nothing more than any big star would get generally.  What specifically did you see in this WC that leads you to feel this way?  One handball missed isn't going to do it for me.  I saw nothing that showed any evidence of structural favoritism. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TV Guy said:

Unless Matt Ryan is on Argentina, this is over.

2 goals is doable, but France needs to play like a different team after half time.

On 12/15/2022 at 5:59 AM, DrPhilly said:

I haven't seen anything specific to support this assertion.  At least nothing more than any big star would get generally.  What specifically did you see in this WC that leads you to feel this way?  One handball missed isn't going to do it for me.  I saw nothing that showed any evidence of structural favoritism. 

Babysh** soft penalty to open the scoring in the final?

Or how about the phantom foul just outside the penalty area where Theo wins the ball with Messi not even in the TV screen but because there is contact made with both players in the air they call it a penalty in Pessi’s favor?