Amazon thread

dawkins4prez

On 5/14/2021 at 11:10 AM, Mike030270 said:

S06 was very mediocre hope they got their $hit together for the new one

On 5/5/2021 at 9:41 PM, dawkins4prez said:

Invincible is good.  Them is friggin amazing, much better than Lovecraft Country.

Invincible was really good IMO. Just finished it up yesterday.

Counterpart was indeed good even though only lasted 2 seasons. Kind of along the lines of Dark but parallel universes instead of time travel also was in english. J.K. Simmons was heading it up. I guess there may be a chance of a 3rd season but they appear fleeting. Still enough closure

Sound of Metal - What a beautiful little movie.  Yeah, it's a movie where not much happens, but the acting, the story, and the way it's told are all exceptional.  Highly recommend.  Now, with the accolades out of the way, a couple of other observations.  First, he'll probably come to realize that the loss of his hearing was a blessing in disguise, because he won't have to hear their music anymore.  Last, a kept expecting someone to catch him when he was sneaking around the house, but then I realized, they're all deaf, and it'd probably be a lot easier to sneak around when no one can hear you.

• Like 1

Panic had an interesting plot. Reminded me of Fear Factor with a local town drama twist added on

Wish it was college or something though because the high school teen drama got boring

10 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Sound of Metal - What a beautiful little movie.  Yeah, it's a movie where not much happens, but the acting, the story, and the way it's told are all exceptional.  Highly recommend.  Now, with the accolades out of the way, a couple of other observations.  First, he'll probably come to realize that the loss of his hearing was a blessing in disguise, because he won't have to hear their music anymore.  Last, a kept expecting someone to catch him when he was sneaking around the house, but then I realized, they're all deaf, and it'd probably be a lot easier to sneak around when no one can hear you.

I didn’t know Riz until The Night Of on HBO, but I’m glad every time I see that dude on screen. 

Any word on the next season of Hunters?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 12:44 PM, Boogyman said:

Invincible was really good IMO. Just finished it up yesterday.

Gonna second (third?) this.  Really good show.  Halfway through the first episode you're gonna think, why am I watching this sunday morning cartoon crap?  But by the end of that first episode you get a sharp change in tone.  Think The Boys but animated, more campy, and somehow even more violent.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 2:18 PM, The_Omega said:

yep, fiance and I have been keeping track of movies we've seen over the last few months and rating them. She despised this movie, typical "nothing happened! boring!" reaction... whereas I appreciated the depressing deep dive into the character as his life was turned upside down that it was. 

One minor gripe - they could have really had him fine tune the drumming mechanics a little more. I don't know crap about drumming - but he did the same motions most of the film in drumming scenes. Just synchronized double cymbal bangs. Not sure if the actor tried and just couldn't figure it out, but you would think for roles like these for the actor to really dive in and try to develop the craft as much as possible. If he did, they certainly didn't show it. Ie, Miles Teller was much more believable in Whiplash as a drummer. Whatever.

Depressing movie, but a realistic look at someone going through and having to deal with a fresh disability. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Tomorrow War was available last night so I watched it. Oof. If you want just a summer blockbuster action movie and aren't expecting much, go for it. 

Otherwise, it was pretty bad. Story made no sense at times and was just all over the place. The usual time travel problems come up that they just ignore. Pratt sleep walked through this also. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 6:56 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

The Tomorrow War was available last night so I watched it. Oof. If you want just a summer blockbuster action movie and aren't expecting much, go for it. 

Otherwise, it was pretty bad. Story made no sense at times and was just all over the place. The usual time travel problems come up that they just ignore. Pratt sleep walked through this also. 

Watched that this weekend. Agree about the time travel issues and the bolded part. I liked it. The monsters/aliens they were fighting were graphically pretty cool and relentless. 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:56 AM, LeanMeanGM said:

Yeah the whole time you're saying "why don't they just..." and the actions of many characters make no sense.

Agree on Pratt, he had no personality and just phoned it in.

23 hours ago, NOTW said:

Yeah the whole time you're saying "why don't they just..." and the actions of many characters make no sense.

Agree on Pratt, he had no personality and just phoned it in.

I liked it :lol: . I always appreciate a time travel movie. But yeah they left some of this on the table. They could've expanded more on the young people needing to come back to our time to train the current time people, due to them not being born yet in the future and

the future daughter telling CP that he leaves them in the original timeline - pretty much exactly similiar to how CPs dad left him as a kid not being expanded on at all and addressed was a huge miss. Especially with CPs dad showing up at the end to help him win the war/kill the "queen." Just one throwaway line of "I made this mistake once, I'm not going to do it again/allow you to do the same thing I did and live with that regret, etc etc" would've satisfied me. Instead it was like heres these two things that should be brought together officially to put a nice tidy bow on this movie, but whatever lets just not do it/leave that on the cutting room floor.

14 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

I liked it :lol: . I always appreciate a time travel movie. But yeah they left some of this on the table. They could've expanded more on the young people needing to come back to our time to train the current time people, due to them not being born yet in the future and

Reveal hidden contents

the future daughter telling CP that he leaves them in the original timeline - pretty much exactly similiar to how CPs dad left him as a kid not being expanded on at all and addressed was a huge miss. Especially with CPs dad showing up at the end to help him win the war/kill the "queen." Just one throwaway line of "I made this mistake once, I'm not going to do it again/allow you to do the same thing I did and live with that regret, etc etc" would've satisfied me. Instead it was like heres these two things that should be brought together officially to put a nice tidy bow on this movie, but whatever lets just not do it/leave that on the cutting room floor.

The one thing that really bugged me was how they just

Spoiler

threw these people into the war without ANY training :lol: so dumb.  Apparently this tomorrow war has been going on for quite some time, yet you "draft" these people who have ZERO military experience and they have boot camp for like a day and then are sent to basically die.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Reveal hidden contents

threw these people into the war without ANY training :lol: so dumb.  Apparently this tomorrow war has been going on for quite some time, yet you "draft" these people who have ZERO military experience and they have boot camp for like a day and then are sent to basically die.

They rushed the beginning and threw things into motion without enough development, and missed opportunities to connect you more to the characters.  Examples:

Spoiler

I knew a kid from his class would play into it, I said to my wife it would be cool if one of the future scientists were from his class and told him that his speech back then inspired him to continue to work to find solutions connecting to the emotion of a teacher frustrated by his students not responding but being inspired that he got through to one of them.  Instead, there was literally no one else in the world who knew anything about volcanos they could contact but a high school kid.  I mean ok, but whatever.

His daughter being in the future was obvious and her being a jerk to him at first and not telling any info didn't play well IMO.  I get she was trying to not get emotionally involved to spare her from hurt but one scene she's saying the less we say to each other the better, the next scene she shares literally everything.  My wife said in that moment, his purpose in going back to prevent the war is the thing he gets consumed with and causes the marriage separation.  So they really could have done a lot with that.  Not only relating to his dad and understanding that there may be more complexity to why he left, but recognizing that trait in himself.  Instead of revealing everything through 2 minutes of dialogue, his daughter could have just alluded to it and then said she should stop, she's said too much.  Or have an alien attack break up that speech to leave it hanging...so that later when he returns and is focused on his mission he realizes that being so hyper focused on the mission is what lost his marriage and relationship with his daughter.  So he realizes the need for balance

The future peoples show up at a soccer game all of a sudden and say like 3 lines and then bam they jump into everyone believing it and the entire world government buying in.  There's no discussion raising questions like, tell us everything you know so we can prevent it.  Or why can't we send weapons, technology, drones, jets, bombs, etc. Why can we only send people?  The young people were being a-holes to the draftees and not telling them anything yet they were relying on them to help save themselves.  And they had 1 gun with like 2 clips yet they seemed to have infinite ammo in many scenes.  Give them grenades or something at least.

Also the entire world was united and then the future link was broken so people gave up and started rioting...IMMEDIATELY.  But, a scientist/military guy who just came back from the future says he has a toxin that will kill them and a theory (with evidence of the ash on the claw they studied) that they are in Russia under the ice and we should send a team to get proof. And if they are there, we can kill them now and prevent the war.  The Secretary of Defense has no interest in that, forget it.  Huh?!  I mean why wouldn't you explore that?  Oh, just so they can have Pratt and his rag tag band go rogue.  Ok.  Stupid thing to have, just share the news and have the government say yes let's go do a research mission.  They expect to find them hibernating or whatever and just gather evidence and are surprised to find they are alive and coming to life so they have to bomb them and escape.  

Other things they didn't deal with:  after the time machine broke, future people were now stuck in the past.  But they weren't supposed to ever be in the same timeline with their other selves so now what?  What happens if and when they are actually born in the past/current timeline?  And how about the fact that 30 years into the future (that's not a long time) they have built a time machine.  So at some point the war started and they quickly go to work to throw together a time machine?  They could have closed out the movie with scientists working on a time machine, and also using satellite imagery or something to check to make sure there are no other aliens buried anywhere.

my future war :huh: moment 

Someone mentions "why don't we go further back in time" as in to a point EARLIER than when the future people arrive in 202x for the first time. As well as saying something to the effect of why don't they take the people from the 2020s timeline and bring them to the future just before the monsters appeared. 

Basically the future people said that the time machines or whatever were both flowing forward in time, and you had to get transferred between one and the other. That makes sense... but how the F did they get a time travel device in 202x to begin with?!?! 

6 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Hide contents

yeah not even uniforms/tactical gear was an interesting choice haha. Just heres an assault rifle, good luck

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Going through some Prime series here lately - watched Panic over the weekend.  It was pretty good.  Now I'm working my way through the Jack Ryan seasons - almost finished season 1.  Really enjoying it.  After that I think I'm gonna watch The Boys.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 7:51 AM, mikemack8 said:

Going through some Prime series here lately - watched Panic over the weekend.  It was pretty good.  Now I'm working my way through the Jack Ryan seasons - almost finished season 1.  Really enjoying it.  After that I think I'm gonna watch The Boys.

If you haven't watched Wayne I highly recommend it.

• Like 1