Amazon thread

dawkins4prez

The Voyeurs is pretty bad but boobs galore, and like a solid 15 minutes of these fun bags in all their glory 

image.thumb.jpeg.74ffc40a836d6bcf4a22efc6968d44cf.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The Voyeurs is pretty bad but boobs galore, and like a solid 15 minutes of these fun bags in all their glory 

image.thumb.jpeg.74ffc40a836d6bcf4a22efc6968d44cf.jpeg

That was a crazy twist at the end

Spoiler

She blinded them?

She's still got amazing bewbs though

On 9/2/2021 at 11:48 AM, toolg said:

New show based on "The Wheel of Time" book series will be released in November: 

It looks amazing!

I know it was a prolific seller in its time, but I dunno, I haven't seen a single clip that tells me how this is going to stand out from the herd of GoT wannabes.  It doesn't even have the unique costume/setting design of Shadow and Bone or Dark Materials (both mediocre shows) .  If anything it reminds me of exactly why fantasy literature was in such a rut and couldn't break into mainstream until GRRM deconstructed the genre.

12 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I know it was a prolific seller in its time, but I dunno, I haven't seen a single clip that tells me how this is going to stand out from the herd of GoT wannabes.  It doesn't even have the unique costume/setting design of Shadow and Bone or Dark Materials (both mediocre shows) .  If anything it reminds me of exactly why fantasy literature was in such a rut and couldn't break into mainstream until GRRM deconstructed the genre.

IMO, Game of Thrones was a Wheel of Time wannabe!  Wheel of Time books were written before Game of Thrones, so in some ways it'll be a throwback. Martin credits Jordan for the success of his books. LINK  For me, who grew up reading WOT, they were a bridge from LOTR and adolescent fantasy into more adult fantasy, like GOT and such that came later. I've been waiting 20+ years for this series to be made! For GOT fans not familiar with the Wheel of Time, this will seem like the kiddie version.  A lot of fantasy is derivative of each other: Game of Thrones was derived from Wheel of Time... all of which was derived from Tolkien, etc.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 1:34 PM, toolg said:

IMO, Game of Thrones was a Wheel of Time wannabe!  Wheel of Time books were written before Game of Thrones, so in some ways it'll be a throwback. Martin credits Jordan for the success of his books. LINK  For me, who grew up reading WOT, they were a bridge from LOTR and adolescent fantasy into more adult fantasy, like GOT and such that came later. I've been waiting 20+ years for this series to be made! For GOT fans not familiar with the Wheel of Time, this will seem like the kiddie version.  A lot of fantasy is derivative of each other: Game of Thrones was derived from Wheel of Time... all of which was derived from Tolkien, etc.

You disagreed with me only to circle back and agree with me.  Unless it takes hold with YA crowd i don't see this being a big hit.

11 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

You disagreed with me only to circle back and agree with me.  Unless it takes hold with YA crowd i don't see this being a big hit.

I agree, WoT will have to find its audience among teens (growing up from Harry Potter, not ready to tackle the harder elements of GoT) and nerds like me wondering why the series was never adapted to the screen before. Perhaps it's a vehicle where Amazon can resell the books on their website. 

4 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

It has a pretty large fan base, but to your point I agree that I don’t see this elevating the genre and bringing external viewers. GOT had enough twists, sex and violence to bring in the non fantasy crowd. I don’t think WOT will be able to do that necessarily. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

This can't be real :lol:

5 hours ago, Mat said:

This can't be real :lol:

Babylon Bee is right leaning mock news site, but have to say pretty darn hilarious considering more recent tv/film news

• 1 month later...

Reviews for Wheel of Time are out and they are brutal.  The closest I came to a positive headline was "bland but watchable".  Ouch.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Reviews for Wheel of Time are out and they are brutal.  The closest I came to a positive headline was "bland but watchable".  Ouch.

reviews aren’t that awful. They aren’t amazing either. What people forget is that half of GOT fans didn’t watch until a few seasons aired and they could blast through it. Season 1 is pretty slow and a butt load to digest. I would imagine if first season just pretty decent show should get infinitely better the following years. 

• Like 1

I thought Wheel of Time was really good. I know someone who has read all of the books and he said that the first 3 episodes dragged but said if the show plans to do what GOT did then it'll help

Season 3 of Hanna is out. Didn't know it was the last season though

Spoiler

Wasn't thrilled that it was only 6 episodes and was mainly about Marissa. I really didn't care for her backstory or even her story at all. She was an okay side character but the main focus should have been on Hanna

I watched all 4 episodes released so far of Wheel of Time over the long weekend. They packed a lot of little details into the early episodes. They will be re-watchable if it catches on. But it all has to be confusing if you aren't familiar with the source material. I wonder how it grabs somebody who didn't read the books?

I agree with the decision to launch the first 3 episodes at once; it takes that long to set up the story. And there's so much more to go. Episode 4 I feel it starts to hit a groove. I am curious to see how they take it from here.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:14 PM, Mike030270 said:

I thought Wheel of Time was really good. I know someone who has read all of the books and he said that the first 3 episodes dragged but said if the show plans to do what GOT did then it'll help

Absolutely. Season 2 is already greenlit. But that only gets past the early books; there are 14 books plus a prequel. I'd like to see it through to the end.

3 minutes ago, toolg said:

I watched all 4 episodes released so far of Wheel of Time over the long weekend. They packed a lot of little details into the early episodes. They will be re-watchable if it catches on. But it all has to be confusing if you aren't familiar with the source material. I wonder how it grabs somebody who didn't read the books?

I agree with the decision to launch the first 3 episodes at once; it takes that long to set up the story. And there's so much more to go. Episode 4 I feel it starts to hit a groove. I am curious to see how they take it from here.

Absolutely. Season 2 is already greenlit. But that only gets past the early books; there are 14 books plus a prequel. I'd like to see it through to the end.

It's a fantasy show so that got me lol it looks well produced and the budget looks decent

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

It's a fantasy show so that got me lol it looks well produced and the budget looks decent

LOL. That's almost verbatim what my wife told me. She read all of Harry Potter and watched the LOTR movies with me. That's only how far her fantasy geekness goes.   But she knows I'm already hooked to WoT, so she's in with me.  :lol:

1 minute ago, toolg said:

LOL. That's almost verbatim what my wife told me. She read all of Harry Potter and watched the LOTR movies with me. That's only how far her fantasy geekness goes.   But she knows I'm already hooked to WoT, so she's in with me.  :lol:

I didn't read the books but know someone who did and he geeked out about the show so I gave it a shot lol

Talking with him about the show is difficult because he's already spoiled some early things lol

WoT is brutally bad fantasy.  the names of the characters alone is enough to make you gag.  Amazon spent how much on this SyFy show?

Wheel of time is holding my interest enough for me to stick with it. It's got a good plot and their building a rich fantasy world, but the characters are a little bland. 

On 8/18/2021 at 12:16 PM, mr_hunt said:

i'm a few years late to the party but is man in the high castle worth watching?  

i'm now on season 3 & nepa is becoming a major plot point! :worthy:   

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

WoT is brutally bad fantasy.  the names of the characters alone is enough to make you gag.  Amazon spent how much on this SyFy show?

Should they have updated the names from the book then?  

Its a fantasy book. They are trying to set up and alternate fantastic reality. 

Im waiting for more to air so I can binge. Read all 15 of the books and too be honest it really drags in middle, but it sounds like they did a good job of blending books for the start of the show

20 minutes ago, homerpat said:

Should they have updated the names from the book then?  

Its a fantasy book. They are trying to set up and alternate fantastic reality. 

Im waiting for more to air so I can binge. Read all 15 of the books and too be honest it really drags in middle, but it sounds like they did a good job of blending books for the start of the show

Good grief, just when you think the generic fantasy can't get any more generic, here come the soy gypsies 🤣.  Somehow, though, I keep watching.  I mean this is a VERY expensive SyFy show and the set designs and locations really pull you in (shame the costumes do the opposite).  You've also got Rosemund Pike, a damn serious actress, selling out hard to make this work.  Will I actually watch the whole season?  Maybe, I am a sucker for bad fantasy if they give me any reason at all to watch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

here come the soy gypsies 🤣.  

Can you elaborate on WTF this weird nonsensical ish even means? Sorry...I'm uncultured as far as soy gypsies go.

I watched about half the first ep...It became clear early on that I need to watch this without my 3yr old doing 3yr old stuff. It's also obviously a lil heavy for her I think.