Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

24 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’d say it’s on par with the original, though Eliza Dushku pushes the original into the lead. 

The New Guy is an A+ movie on its own but her bikini try on scene makes it an A++ movie 

• Haha 1

On the oddball side of horror, I watched an ABC made for TV movie from 1975 called the Werewolf of Woodstock.  It was every bit as awful/great as you would expect.

An old man who hates nothing more than hippies and rock and roll goes out to the now abandoned and trash laden site of Woodstock and begins taking out his anger by smashing the remaining stage.  While on the metal stage, he gets struck by lightning, which turns him into a werewolf whenever there is an electrical storm. 🤷‍♂️   He starts by killing the dog of an unknown hippie band that came to Woodstock after the concert so they could record an album there and try to sell it as being "recorded live at Woodstock". 

Our hippie hating werewolf stalks them while 2 LA detectives, in NY to do research for a possible similar festival to be put on in LA, investigate the attacks.  One of the detectives is played by a young Michael Parks.  They eventually lure the Werewolf into a trap by having the band play in the open Woodstock field.  He hates hippies and rock music so much, how could he resist?  This leads to a car chase where the werewolf kidnaps the hippie chick from the band in a dune buggy that looks pretty much like the old cartoon Speed Buggy.  It's chased by a VW van, an old jeep and some police cars.  

It ends with the werewolf dragging the hippie chick up a high tension eclectic tower ala King Kong, or maybe Donkey Kong since he stops to throw a barrel down at his pursuers.  

I've come to the conclusion that TV is just too well made now a days to be this fun.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2021 at 9:37 AM, mikemack8 said:
  Hide contents

Actually - first, they scalped him.  Then they nailed his scalp inside his own mouth.  Then they turned him upside down, hacked him open at his balls, then TORE him in half with their hands.  Then they ate him.  Fine family film. 

The same director does "Brawl in Cell Block 99". Its another classic. That guy is awesome. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 6:59 AM, Talkingbirds said:

Desperate to watch anything new I rented "Werewolves within”  off iTunes.  More comedy then horror.  If you looking for gory werewolf movie this isn’t it.

Just a so-so comedy as well. If you want a pretty good werewolf movie try HOWL. Not perfect but well worth a watch.

BRAND NEW CHERRY FLAVOR on Netflix is a really good horror limited series.

• Like 2

Saw Night House yesterday, which probably falls under horror? It just kind of was... I don't even know if the concept was that unique given the way the film shook out... likely a "wait for home release" for most. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 10:48 PM, eaglegenius said:

Just a so-so comedy as well. If you want a pretty good werewolf movie try HOWL. Not perfect but well worth a watch.

That was a horror series??? I liked it a lot but I wouldn’t call it horror at all, thriller or drama yes.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:48 AM, eaglegenius said:

I’m through 3 episodes so far and agree this is a really good series.  I hope it continues!  

On 8/21/2021 at 10:17 AM, RoadToHell said:

That was a horror series??? I liked it a lot but I wouldn’t call it horror at all, thriller or drama yes.

Technically speaking, the conventions of the thriller and drama genres don't include supernatural efx. Horror and scifi do.

On Shudder:

MASS HYSTERIA is a fun comedic horror flick.

HERE COMES HELL is also good, sort of THE HAUNTING meets NIGHT OF THE DEMONS with a jigger of EVIL DEAD.
Very long slow set-up but the last half is fully loaded. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just caught a pretty nifty werewolf movie WER from 2013. By the director who did THE BOY movies, THE DEVIL INSIDE and STAY ALIVE.

• Like 1

Slasher on Shudder is an extremely enjoyable anthology series with different story every year. Highly recommend the free week trial just to binge this show. First season is a bit weak, but subsequent seasons much better. Seasons 3 and 4 are the best by far IMO

• Like 1

Someone else posted about Malignant in the HBO Max thread, but it was pretty entertaining.  You will most likely sit through the first hour of the movie confused, and then the plot punches you right in the face.  And hilariously I might add.  I can't believe some of the ish they come up with for horror movies now.  😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hputenis said:

Someone else posted about Malignant in the HBO Max thread, but it was pretty entertaining.  You will most likely sit through the first hour of the movie confused, and then the plot punches you right in the face.  And hilariously I might add.  I can't believe some of the ish they come up with for horror movies now.  😂

Yup. This one was wild. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 8:10 AM, homerpat said:

Slasher on Shudder is an extremely enjoyable anthology series with different story every year. Highly recommend the free week trial just to binge this show. First season is a bit weak, but subsequent seasons much better. Seasons 3 and 4 are the best by far IMO

On 9/21/2021 at 6:07 PM, hputenis said:

Thanks for the recommends. Put both on my list.

• Like 1

Watching limited series Midnight Mass on Netflix. Slow starter but very atmospheric.
From horror vet Mike Flanagan (Oculus, The Boy movies, Dr. Sleep, Gerald's Game).

Only 3 eps in but so far so good.

• Thanks 1

I finished Slasher: Flesh and Blood over the weekend and agree that it is a lot of fun.  Decent mystery with interesting characters and some fun over the top kills plus Cronenberg is very good as the family patriarch.  I'm only seeing that one season on Shudder.  I know there are other seasons, where are they available to watch?

Also started Midnight Mass over the weekend.  Only got to watch the first episode but I'm digging it so far.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I finished Slasher: Flesh and Blood over the weekend and agree that it is a lot of fun.  Decent mystery with interesting characters and some fun over the top kills plus Cronenberg is very good as the family patriarch.  I'm only seeing that one season on Shudder.  I know there are other seasons, where are they available to watch?

Also started Midnight Mass over the weekend.  Only got to watch the first episode but I'm digging it so far.

1-3 are on Netflix

I watched Freaky and also Little Monsters last night.  I knew about Freaky but had no clue about Little Monsters until very recently - it was a lot of fun!  Josh Gad was hilarious 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

1-3 are on Netflix

I watched Freaky and also Little Monsters last night.  I knew about Freaky but had no clue about Little Monsters until very recently - it was a lot of fun!  Josh Gad was hilarious 

Thanks Mike.  Have they been on there long?  HTH did I not know this?  Netflix should trash their algorithm if they can't link a series like Slasher to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

Thanks Mike.  Have they been on there long?  HTH did I not know this?  Netflix should trash their algorithm if they can't link a series like Slasher to me.

Yeah I wanna say they've been on there for a solid 2 years?  I actually watched the first season based on someone's recommendation in here (the old board).  I started the second season but never stuck it out - haven't watched the third or fourth yet either obviously.  

• Like 1

I finished the rest of Midnight Mass in one night.  I just couldn't bring myself to stop watching the next episode.

I had no idea where it was going at the start but really liked it all the way through.  Don't want to say too much since even mentioning related subgenres would be kind of spoiler-ish.  

Strong recommend.   

Also started season 1 of Slasher ( Thanks Mike).  So far so good but not as into it as the season on Shudder.  I think my affinity for isolated island murder mysteries ala And Then There Were None made that season very much my thing.  Season one is not as much in my wheel house but there is just enough weirdness to keep me hooked so far.  I'm not really digging the Hannibal Lecter thing but maybe that will get better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I finished the rest of Midnight Mass in one night.  I just couldn't bring myself to stop watching the next episode.

I had no idea where it was going at the start but really liked it all the way through.  Don't want to say too much since even mentioning related subgenres would be kind of spoiler-ish.  

Strong recommend.   

Also started season 1 of Slasher.  So far so good but not as into it as the season on Shudder.  I think my affinity for isolated island murder mysteries ala And Then There Were None made that season very much my thing.  Season one is not as much in my wheel house but there is just enough weirdness to keep me hooked so far.  I'm not really digging the Hannibal Lecter thing but maybe that will get better.

I don't remember much about season 1 of slasher at this point, but I don't remember hating it.  I actually just picked back up on season 2 last night and I'm now hooked.  Will definitely be watching 3 and 4 after as well.  Certainly going to watch Midnight Mass also.  

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:16 AM, Shepard Wong said:

The interface sucks. it’s there. just have to move around to diff episodes. sorry that’s not helpful. can’t think of exact method to change seasons. just letting you know it’s there.

Season 1 is ok but season 3 is great. Actually was uncomfortable with one of the kills thinking about how truly horrible it was and that never happens as I’m usually pretty desensitized . 

No one gets out alive on Netflix was pretty bad. Not really scary, not really interesting, didn’t really care about the characters and 

the monster eats peoples heads using it’s vag by squatting over them

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

This looks badass

Cleary more game inspired than the other ones. I'll be watching. Still think Leon was a weird cast decision. 

• Like 1