Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

On 5/29/2021 at 11:45 AM, SPIDER-MAN said:

(Raises hand)

last house on the left, salo, girl next door, i spit on your grave, cannibal holocaust, a serbian film

Salo is actually a really good art film when you dive deeper. I can give a link if anyone wants to watch it. Girl Next Door was based off a book that was loosely based on the the murder of Sylvia Likens. Green Inferno took A LOT of parts from Cannibal Holocaust. Last House on the Left was directed by Wes Craven. A Serbian Film was made to counter attack Serbia's avalanche of PC movies at the time.

Reveal hidden contents

The poop eating scene is supposed to symbolize our desire for fast food. Food that has no cultural background and is filled with additives, preservatives and, well, ****.

Some not on the list

Martyrs, Audition, Irreversible, Gummo, The Human Centipede 1 & 2 (3rd one looks horrid) are ones I can think of off the top of my head. The only movies that bother me are the animal torture ones. I love animals too much, so I don't even attempt to watch them.

Martyrs and Audition are two of my favorites of this genre. Takashi Miike has some really good ones. Ichi the killer and 13 assassins are a must watch of his 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RoadToHell said:

Martyrs and Audition are two of my favorites of this genre. Takashi Miike has some really good ones. Ichi the killer and 13 assassins are a must watch of his 

I never even heard of this and just saw the trailer.  Looks incredible, and it's available on Hulu!  Watching this after the Sixers lose tonight.  

Just now, hputenis said:

I never even heard of this and just saw the trailer.  Looks incredible, and it's available on Hulu!  Watching this after the Sixers lose tonight.  

You will not regret it 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RoadToHell said:

You will not regret it 

Agreed and and you may as well start tracking down Blade of the Immortal also. 

Two pretty accessible Miike movie that are a lot of fun. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 5:59 PM, hputenis said:

What you think of 13 assassins?

• Like 1

Wrong Turn reboot is on Prime if you have the Showtime channel. Don’t watch this if you are expecting some state of the art horror film. It was dumb, but an enjoyable dumb, and very, very different from the original. I’d say one of the better reboots, because of the film overall and also considering how much they took it into a different direction from the original. 

The end credits scene was pretty awesome.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2021 at 1:36 AM, RoadToHell said:

What you think of 13 assassins?

Loved it.  The plot was fantastic.  I don't think I've ever seen a movie with a more sadistic villain either.  He was horrifying.  I am definitely going to check out some more Takashi Miike films.  Thanks for the recommendation!  

• Like 3

On 6/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, hputenis said:

Loved it.  The plot was fantastic.  I don't think I've ever seen a movie with a more sadistic villain either.  He was horrifying.  I am definitely going to check out some more Takashi Miike films.  Thanks for the recommendation!  

You checked out Gozu yet? That’s wild

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RoadToHell said:

You checked out Gozu yet? That’s wild

Not yet, but I will shortly!  Thanks again!  Looks like it's free on Tubi too.  

29 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Not yet, but I will shortly!  Thanks again!  Looks like it's free on Tubi too.  

Let me know what you think. It’s not an amazing film but it’s under the mind of a crooked man. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the Devil Below on Netflix yesterday before the US Open got interesting.  It was absolutely horrendous.  I don't know how Netflix does it, but they continuously pump out some of the worst horror films I've ever seen.  Yet their true docu-series are fantastic.  

That being said, I just turned on my tv and Hereditary is on.  I've probably seen it 5-6 times, and it's become one of those movies that I can't turn off.  Between that and Midsommar, I would probably wait in line over night for tickets to Ari Aster's next movie if I didn't even know what it was about.  He's that good.  Speaking of:

https://deadline.com/2021/02/a24-ari-asters-disappointment-blvd-joaquin-phoenix-1234696364/

It's going to be a "4 hour nightmare comedy" starring Mr. Psychopath himself, Joaquin Phoenix.  I can't friggin wait.  

• Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 10:39 AM, hputenis said:

I just watched this last weekend and I loved it. I was instructed to watch Ichi the Killer, and I'm def going to.

• Like 1

Where can one watch this 13 assassins?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Where can one watch this 13 assassins?

I watched on Hulu.  I think it's free, but if it's not, I signed up for some extension for free for 1 week then got rid of it.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

I just watched this last weekend and I loved it. I was instructed to watch Ichi the Killer, and I'm def going to.

It's one of the more disturbing films I've ever seen.  I thought most of that movie was strictly for the shock factor, because it was disgusting.  

I read some really good reviews about this new movie on Shudder, called Caveat, directed by Damien McCarthy.  This was his directorial debut, and the most incredible aspect of the movie was how creepy and great visually it was with little to no budget at all.  The acting was top notch, and the plot was descent.  There were some holes in it, but for the miniscule amount he was given for his first film, he nailed it.  The bunny rabbit in the movie is a scary little creature.  And the best part:

Spoiler

The dead mother in the basement? Good lord.  She made me want my nightlight from when I was 6.  She was one of the scariest characters I've seen in a movie recently.  The scene where he was trapped in there with her and trying to carve his way out while she was "watching," had me shivering in my tighty whities.  Awesome scene.  

@Shepard Wong I started Psycho Goreman the other night (after Caveat), and I'm loving it so far.  It's hilarious and ridiculous, both qualities I like in a movie.  I'm about halfway through and should finish tonight.   Which brings me to ANOTHER topic:

Evil Dead Rising is apparently now filming in New Zealand and is going to be another installment AFTER the original 3 and in the city.  To say I can't wait would be quite an understatement.  

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/evil-dead-rise-hbo-max-sam-raimi-1234982112/

• 2 weeks later...

Desperate to watch anything new I rented "Werewolves within”  off iTunes.  More comedy then horror.  If you looking for gory werewolf movie this isn’t it.

DA8CB2F2-153A-45F7-80AB-438A479438BC.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It’s back! Now I spend the time between now and then hoping things don’t get so bad it gets cancelled again this year.

61B1FF71-616E-4577-8EF8-7D1843FEBD31.jpeg

On 6/22/2021 at 4:07 PM, hputenis said:

It's one of the more disturbing films I've ever seen.  I thought most of that movie was strictly for the shock factor, because it was disgusting.  

If you think that was disturbing you should watch Visitor Q. It’s a whole different level

• Like 1

Greasy Strangler is f'ing brilliant.  Imagine if one of those tongue in cheek b movies like Toxic Avenger had the comedic timing and epic quotes of Napoleon Dynamite or nacho Libre and you get Greasy Strangler.  Can't recommend this enough to horror fans.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 1:05 PM, dawkins4prez said:

Greasy Strangler is f'ing brilliant.  Imagine if one of those tongue in cheek b movies like Toxic Avenger had the comedic timing and epic quotes of Napoleon Dynamite or nacho Libre and you get Greasy Strangler.  Can't recommend this enough to horror fans.

I’ve got to see this one.  Been hearing about it for a while but haven’t caught it yet.  

I watched Kandisha on Shutter.  French horror film based on a Moroccan legend with shades of Candyman and Pumpkinhead.  I dug it.

• Like 1

Watched "Monster Party” on shudder tonight. It was a pretty good under the radar movie with some recognizable faces. Basic plot is some thieves try to steal from a house whose having a dinner party for killers who are in therapy. Has some pretty strong Purge with hints of Tarantino vibes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Watched "Monster Party” on shudder tonight. It was a pretty good under the radar movie with some recognizable faces. Basic plot is some thieves try to steal from a house whose having a dinner party for killers who are in therapy. Has some pretty strong Purge with hints of Tarantino vibes.

This movie surprised me, and I definitely enjoyed it.  Halloween is right around the corner, and I’ll re-recommend "Haunt” on Shudder.  One of the best haunted house movies I’ve seen with some very creepy characters. 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 11:55 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

Wrong Turn reboot is on Prime if you have the Showtime channel. Don’t watch this if you are expecting some state of the art horror film. It was dumb, but an enjoyable dumb, and very, very different from the original. I’d say one of the better reboots, because of the film overall and also considering how much they took it into a different direction from the original. 

The end credits scene was pretty awesome.

I’d say it’s on par with the original, though Eliza Dushku pushes the original into the lead. 

• Like 1