Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

9 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yea, figured I was going too main stream with the guesses. What was #1?

Your guesses were all good.  It's usually a mix of somewhat known stuff like you guessed and stuff almost no one would guess because almost no one has heard of it and even fewer have seen it.  Number 1 was Kaufman's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  

Every year I go with the same friend and we work on our guesses together.  We were split on Body Snatchers and The Fly for that one.  I just got lucky picking Body Snatchers.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:19 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

1. The Fly

2. Event Horizon

3. Salo

5. Sleepaway Camp

8. Abby

9. Possession

10. Dawn of the Dead

13. Let the right one in

14. It

I'm bad at this

4. Them

14 salem’s lot

yeah these are hard

On 11/2/2021 at 11:09 AM, Shepard Wong said:

I don’t remember if I’ve posted about this in here before but there is a film collective called Exhumed Films that organizes retro horror screenings around the Philly area. Once a year, except last year, they host a 24 hour horrorthon, which is usually 14 or 15 horror movies that run consecutively from Noon on Saturday until about Noon on Sunday, with classic trailers shown in between screenings. The movies aren’t announced ahead of time but when you get there, they give you a list of intentionally vague clues and the audience submits their guesses on ballots before it starts. The top three people get some pretty cool prizes. They usually mix it up with some classics, some rare stuff you may have heard of but few have seen, and a few in the middle of the night that no one has heard of that are usually bizarre enough to make you question your sanity around 2-4 am while watching your 14 in a state of semi-consciousness. It’s running this weekend. After not going last year due to a Covid related cancellation, I can’t wait.  It’s like heaven for horror movie geeks.  Plus, this year, since it’s the same night clocks fall back an hour, it will actually be 25 hours.

60992642-BB68-495B-8A39-ED1E7434BB4E.jpeg

Totally Awesome Jeff Spicoli GIF - Totally Awesome Jeff Spicoli Awesome -  Discover & Share GIFs

In case anyone was interested: the answers for the 2019 ballot pictured above:

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 1978
2. The Stepford Wives - 1975
3. Contamination - 1980
4: Godzilla (Cozzilla cut)  - 1977
5: Basket Case  - 1982
6: The Ninth Configuration - 1980
7: Rat Man - 1988
8: JD's Revenge - 1976
9: Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell - 1968
10: Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things - 1972
11: The Manitou - 1978
12: Evil Cat - 1987
13: 30 Days of Night - 2007
14: The Night Stalker - 1972
15: Night Breed - 1990

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rat Man is a classic for the "this is so awful it’s great” crowd.Also has an all time tag line: "He’s the Critter from the Sh!tter”

• Haha 1

I'll post a pic of the ballot this year when I get it.  If you happen to be on here Saturday morning between 11am and 12 noon, feel free to google and guess.  Always good to get some ideas or titles I didn't think of.

Here’s the list of titles:

1. The Exorcist (1973)

2. Eyes Without a Face (1960)

3. The Terror of Godzilla a.k.a. Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

4. Death Game (1977)

5. Quatermass and the Pit (1967)

6. Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972)

7. The Return of the Vampire (1943)

8. Patrick Still Lives (1980)

9. Night of the Demon (1957)

10. The Day It Came to Earth (1977)

11. The Farm a.k.a. The Curse (1987)

12. Peacock King (1988)

13. Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)

14. The Stepfather (1987)

15. The Frighteners (1996)

50 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

Here’s the list of titles:

1. The Exorcist (1973)

2. Eyes Without a Face (1960)

3. The Terror of Godzilla a.k.a. Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

4. Death Game (1977)

5. Quatermass and the Pit (1967)

6. Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972)

7. The Return of the Vampire (1943)

8. Patrick Still Lives (1980)

9. Night of the Demon (1957)

10. The Day It Came to Earth (1977)

11. The Farm a.k.a. The Curse (1987)

12. Peacock King (1988)

13. Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)

14. The Stepfather (1987)

15. The Frighteners (1996)

How many did you get?

18 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I take it that doesn’t cut it to win a prize?

Not this year.  Other years I might have.  The top three this year guessed 8, 7, and 6 correct each.  I came in second a while back.

Hard to be too upset.  The guy that won is Michael Gingold.  He is a writer for Fangoria Magazine and used to be the editor in chief.  The guy has spent most of his adult life as a  paid professional watching and writing about horror movies.  Hell, I even own a book he published.

• Like 1

I know I’m skipping Thanksgiving, but not many horror movies around it,  so my Christmas horror movie picks are Rare Exports and a Christmas Horror Story.  

As Thanksgiving horror movies go, my personal favorite is Blood Rage.  80s slasher where a psycho kid murders someone then blames his innocent twin brother for the murder.  Several years later, the innocent twin escapes the mental institution and Thanksgiving day mayhem and multiple murders ensue.  It's streaming for free on Tubi.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Talkingbirds said:

I know I’m skipping Thanksgiving, but not many horror movies around it,  so my Christmas horror movie picks are Rare Exports and a Christmas Horror Story.  

How you going to disrespect ThanksKilling and ThanksKilling 3 like that?

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

As Thanksgiving horror movies go, my personal favorite is Blood Rage.  80s slasher where a psycho kid murders someone then blames his innocent twin brother for the murder.  Several years later, the innocent twin escapes the mental institution and Thanksgiving day mayhem and multiple murders ensue.  It's streaming for free on Tubi.

Have to check it out.

I watched on called "Green Room" over the weekend. Had Patrick Stewart in it. Reminded me of "Dusk till dawn" but with NSDAP skinheads instead of vampires :lol:

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Gannan said:

I watched on called "Green Room" over the weekend. Had Patrick Stewart in it. Reminded me of "Dusk till dawn" but with NSDAP skinheads instead of vampires :lol:

That one was surprisingly good

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

That one was surprisingly good

The director also directed a hidden gem called "Murder Party."  It's definitely worth a watch.  

2 hours ago, hputenis said:

The director also directed a hidden gem called "Murder Party."  It's definitely worth a watch.  

As good as Climax?  

• Haha 2

On 11/17/2021 at 5:54 PM, mikemack8 said:

As good as Climax?  

That was the dumbest movie I’ve ever seen.  It should be called "The Foreign Techno Dance Recital for ****ots that isn’t Scary at all!”  

8 hours ago, hputenis said:

That was the dumbest movie I’ve ever seen.  It should be called "The Foreign Techno Dance Recital for ****ots that isn’t Scary at all!”  

I haven’t seen it yet but now I feel like I need to see it.

• Haha 1

On 11/17/2021 at 6:54 PM, mikemack8 said:

As good as Climax?  

I LOVE Climax!  Gaspar Noe is the man!  Love is hot as F.