Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

I don't remember The Last House on the Left being gross or disturbing. Maybe I'm mixing up the remakes

A Serbian Film was definitely gross and disturbing. I remember the gross parts of that

Irreversible was more disturbing IIRC. Same with I Spit On Your Grave

I don't remember much of Antichrist

I've heard of Cannibal but haven't seen it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

How many of these movies have you sickos watched? :lol: 

https://mubi.com/lists/sickest-most-grotesque-and-disturbing-films

I’ve seen 19. Don’t know how ‘Enter the Void’ is on this list. That movie was very unique in a 1st person POV style take, I remember the DMT trip. It was a weird movie but not disturbing at all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I don't remember The Last House on the Left being gross or disturbing. Maybe I'm mixing up the remakes

A Serbian Film was definitely gross and disturbing. I remember the gross parts of that

Irreversible was more disturbing IIRC. Same with I Spit On Your Grave

I don't remember much of Antichrist

I've heard of Cannibal but haven't seen it

All 3 of these have horrific rape scenes.  I'm sure that's why they included them as being disturbing.  

I've never seen a Serbian Film but have read about it a bunch.  You have to pay to watch some of these films, and there are just some charges on the credit card that I don't want my wife to accidentally stumble upon.  

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, hputenis said:

All 3 of these have horrific rape scenes.  I'm sure that's why they included them as being disturbing.  

I've never seen a Serbian Film but have read about it a bunch.  You have to pay to watch some of these films, and there are just some charges on the credit card that I don't want my wife to accidentally stumble upon.  

A Serbian Film is disturbing on some levels, but most of it seems "forced” like the director wanted to just throw ish in there to just be the most extreme and controversial, it didn’t have quite the same vibe as salo or irreversible

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoadToHell said:

A Serbian Film is disturbing on some levels, but most of it seems "forced” like the director wanted to just throw ish in there to just be the most extreme and controversial, it didn’t have quite the same vibe as salo or irreversible

Agreed.  I saw a Serbian Film at a film festival when it first came out with no prior knowledge of what to expect and even without forewarning, it didn't have the impact the others did.  Salo is the one I would probably pick if I had to pick a most disturbing.  The cannibal movies are probably on the list for the real animal dismemberments but I think I'm just numb to them.  They never really bothered me like some of the others.

Salo starts out disturbing and keeps getting worse.  Plus the film lingers on awful things far longer than other films and it almost feels like a documentary.  There is little film making style or technique to remind you that you are watching a movie.  I spent most of the movie hoping the director would cut away far sooner than he did. 

Irreversible' s rape scene is the same way.   The impact is ramped up because the scene goes on so much longer than most other movies do or would. It forces you to witness and confront the awfulness over time.  Not just a quick shock and cut to the next scene.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

Agreed.  I saw a Serbian Film at a film festival when it first came out with no prior knowledge of what to expect and even without forewarning, it didn't have the impact the others did.  Salo is the one I would probably pick if I had to pick a most disturbing.  The cannibal movies are probably on the list for the real animal dismemberments but I think I'm just numb to them.  They never really bothered me like some of the others.

Salo starts out disturbing and keeps getting worse.  Plus the film lingers on awful things far longer than other films and it almost feels like a documentary.  There is little film making style or technique to remind you that you are watching a movie.  I spent most of the movie hoping the director would cut away far sooner than he did. 

Irreversible' s rape scene is the same way.   The impact is ramped up because the scene goes on so much longer than most other movies do or would. It forces you to witness and confront the awfulness over time.  Not just a quick shock and cut to the next scene.

I couldn’t agree more, that’s well said. The scenes in those films just wouldn’t end and that’s what brings out the more disturbing aspects and stick with you. Those kinds of films you just never forget. I believe the director of Salo was killed after that movie right? Someone ran him over If my memory is correct because of that type of movie he made. He upset a lot of people. 

• Thanks 1

I didn't want to say what the scenes were and possibly spoil them but seems like a lot of you have already seen those lol

2 hours ago, RoadToHell said:

I couldn’t agree more, that’s well said. The scenes in those films just wouldn’t end and that’s what brings out the more disturbing aspects and stick with you. Those kinds of films you just never forget. I believe the director of Salo was killed after that movie right? Someone ran him over If my memory is correct because of that type of movie he made. He upset a lot of people. 

JC they ran him over because of the movie?

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I didn't want to say what the scenes were and possibly spoil them but seems like a lot of you have already seen those lol

JC they ran him over because of the movie?

Yea I’m pretty sure someone ran him over and ran him over again to make sure he was dead. Double tap 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoadToHell said:

Yea I’m pretty sure someone ran him over and ran him over again to make sure he was dead. Double tap 

Yeah......I'll explain to the wife later.  This one's going on the credit card.  

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

Yeah......I'll explain to the wife later.  This one's going on the credit card.  

The movie is truly messed up

• Like 1

Whoever directed Bad Bubby should be thrown in prison.  It's not even a good movie at all.  It's just roadkill that I can't stop watching.  Thanks a lot @mikemack8 you 'ukn deekbag!  

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Whoever directed Bad Bubby should be thrown in prison.  It's not even a good movie at all.  It's just roadkill that I can't stop watching.  Thanks a lot @mikemack8 you 'ukn deekbag!  

Quite a few of those movies aren’t good movies, they are mostly there for the shock value. If you seen Man Bites Dog, that’s a good movie imo with dark humor and disturbing moments. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RoadToHell said:

Quite a few of those movies aren’t good movies, they are mostly there for the shock value. If you seen Man Bites Dog, that’s a good movie imo with dark humor and disturbing moments. 

It’s funny. As I get through this movie, the second that the organ player shows him the light, it’s very Kubrick-esk.  My favorite director of all time.  

Still a terrible movie. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, mikemack8 said:

Have only seen a few but can say A Serbian Film is truly twisted.
I'd add The Golden Glove and Angst to that list. Both German sleaze.

For more mainstream fun, I just caught WHAT LIES BELOW on Netflix.
The promo looks like a Lifetime movie but it's low budget scifi horror.
A fun little story with some special efx and good acting.

• Like 1

Only seen 7 but I've seen plenty that belong on that list and aren't there.  Most of the ones I saw were pretty good movies.  Salo is one of Italy's most famous directors of all time.  Serbian Film is also a good movie.  Irreversible is really just 2 scenes and a bunch of filler.  Begotten is unwatchable, an experimental clusterF that barely deserves to be called a movie.

Didn't think about it until now but I'm surprised the Saw and Hostile franchises aren't on the list

47 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Begotten is unwatchable, an experimental clusterF that barely deserves to be called a movie.

Yeah pretty much - I made it through about 5 minutes and I was like what in the F am I even watching?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Didn't think about it until now but I'm surprised the Saw and Hostile franchises aren't on the list

I wouldn't even put Saw or Hostile in the same stratosphere as some of the trash and shock values on that list.  

Anyone ever see Bone Tomahawk - that ish was pretty gnarly/gruesome at times.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Anyone ever see Bone Tomahawk - that ish was pretty gnarly/gruesome at times.  

Spoiler

When that crazy tribe strung that doode up feet spread apart in the air then chopped him in half D first :o

6 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

When that crazy tribe strung that doode up feet spread apart in the air then chopped him in half D first :o

Spoiler

Actually - first, they scalped him.  Then they nailed his scalp inside his own mouth.  Then they turned him upside down, hacked him open at his balls, then TORE him in half with their hands.  Then they ate him.  Fine family film. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

That movie kicked ass.  I didn't know anything about it when I started it, so I expected nothing.  Then it eventually turned into my worst nightmare.  

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, mikemack8 said:

(Raises hand)

last house on the left, salo, girl next door, i spit on your grave, cannibal holocaust, a serbian film

Salo is actually a really good art film when you dive deeper. I can give a link if anyone wants to watch it. Girl Next Door was based off a book that was loosely based on the the murder of Sylvia Likens. Green Inferno took A LOT of parts from Cannibal Holocaust. Last House on the Left was directed by Wes Craven. A Serbian Film was made to counter attack Serbia's avalanche of PC movies at the time.

Spoiler

The poop eating scene is supposed to symbolize our desire for fast food. Food that has no cultural background and is filled with additives, preservatives and, well, ****.

Some not on the list

Martyrs, Audition, Irreversible, Gummo, The Human Centipede 1 & 2 (3rd one looks horrid) are ones I can think of off the top of my head. The only movies that bother me are the animal torture ones. I love animals too much, so I don't even attempt to watch them.

• Like 2