Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

27 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I will at least start this tonight.  😂 

I saw the Empty Man recently and wasn't expecting much, but it was a pretty wild ride.  The first 30 minutes are awesome, and then it's a mind F for almost 2 more hours.  

I still need to watch Empty Man.  I've heard good things.  I've been so busy with work, I haven't watched much of anything recently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I'm pretty sure it was Patton Oswalt who talked about this movie in one of his standup routines :lol: 

oh yes he did. i clicked on this thread in error just now and saw the image and did a uturn ASAP to see if anyone mentioned his bit. 

not as good as, Rape Stove but ok as a movie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 12:52 PM, Shepard Wong said:

I still need to watch Empty Man.  I've heard good things.  I've been so busy with work, I haven't watched much of anything recently.

Holy sheet this movie is bad.  Hahaha.  The bed ate his chicken while he was trying to suck a teetie.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBhsPP06-mA

Not big on the horror genre but watched insidious the other night and it was Fing terrible. I know it's old but I thought I remembered people saying it was great and scary when it had come out. It was atrocious 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, devpool said:

Not big on the horror genre but watched insidious the other night and it was Fing terrible. I know it's old but I thought I remembered people saying it was great and scary when it had come out. It was atrocious 

As a mega horror fan, I was not a big fan of Insidious.  I thought they could have done a lot more with that storyline, but nothing about it made it scary.  Except for Magda from Something About Mary.  

Lin Shaye Dumb And Dumber GIF - LinShaye DumbAndDumber - Discover & Share  GIFs

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hputenis said:

As a mega horror fan, I was not a big fan of Insidious.  I thought they could have done a lot more with that storyline, but nothing about it made it scary.  Except for Magda from Something About Mary.  

Lin Shaye Dumb And Dumber GIF - LinShaye DumbAndDumber - Discover & Share  GIFs

Yeah the whole thing really was a joke. Nothing happens for like 40 minutes except the kid falls off a ladder, then the whole thing is explained by.....astral projection? Absolutely ridiculous lol

• Like 1

I watched the Conjuring again last night. My memory of the film was that it was better and scarier than that. What a load of rubbish. 

47 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I watched the Conjuring again last night. My memory of the film was that it was better and scarier than that. What a load of rubbish. 

Can't agree with you here my friend!  I'm a big fan of the Conjuring and the entire franchise that's been created because of it.  One of the Annabelle movies was pretty dumb, but I hope they keep making them  The third one looks good too!  

3 hours ago, hputenis said:

Can't agree with you here my friend!  I'm a big fan of the Conjuring and the entire franchise that's been created because of it.  One of the Annabelle movies was pretty dumb, but I hope they keep making them  The third one looks good too!  

Conjuring made me not be able to sleep for a good month. I refuse to watch anymore of that universe lol

• Haha 1

Is the Nun part of the conjuring or something else? Because that one also wasn't really scary at all, but I remember seeing maybe 5 minutes of the Conjuring on deployment and immediately walking out because in that 5 minutes I had already been scared to death and I could not handle more than I had taken in lol. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, hputenis said:

The Nun was awful. 

I thought first time the Conjuring was pretty good but Saturday I sat there laughing at it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 3:23 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

One of the basc theories of film appreciation is that one's perception of a film is heavily influenced by context.

It's why millenials often dis films like The Exorcist while Boomers were generally blown away when it originally premiered.
The efx in the film were cutting age and mind-blowing back then, but millenials who watch it have already seen dozens
of other films with sophisticated efx.

Obviously the first time you saw The Conjuring you weren't expecting the scares. This time around they lost their shock effect.

IMHO even the weakest films in the "Annabel universe" are better than most of the crap being produced these days.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

One of the basc theories of film appreciation is that one's perception of a film is heavily influenced by context.

It's why millenials often dis films like The Exorcist while Boomers were generally blown away when it originally premiered.
The efx in the film were cutting age and mind-blowing back then, but millenials who watch it have already seen dozens
of other films with sophisticated efx.

Obviously the first time you saw The Conjuring you weren't expecting the scares. This time around they lost their shock effect.

IMHO even the weakest films in the "Annabel universe" are better than most of the crap being produced these days.

100% agreed. Horror films have been pushing the boundary so much over the 30 some years that on rewatch it’s becoming desensitized. Even if you saw it once already it’s never the same rewatching for the same reason. My personal experience is The Hills Have Eyes remake. Watching it the first time had some disturbing scenes. Watching it again a few years later it wasn’t anywhere close to the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglegenius said:

I'll definitely agree with you there bud. My issue with horror films these days is they rely more of special FX and gore. Suspense, music, atmosphere are much more effective in my opinion.

Recently watched the 2020 Grudge movie while on a flight. I thought it was fair. It kind of told multiple stories within the movie that all came together at the end. It's not winning any awards or anything but I've definitely seen worse horror movies than this one. 

• Thanks 1

Just saw the Clovehitch Killer on Netflix for the first time last night.  I highly recommend.  Dylan McDermott is awesome.  

• Like 2

I still refuse to rewatch Hereditary so I have no idea how good it is on a re-watch. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bill said:

I still refuse to rewatch Hereditary so I have no idea how good it is on a re-watch. 

Spoiler

최고 Hereditary GIF들 | Gfycat

1 hour ago, hputenis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

최고 Hereditary GIF들 | Gfycat

Spoiler

That wasn't as bad as her sawing her own f'ing head off

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That wasn't as bad as her sawing her own f'ing head off

True, but I couldn't find a gif for that one.  

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

True, but I couldn't find a gif for that one.  

I'll ukn kill you :lol: 

• Haha 2

I watched Psycho Goreman this week.  I found it to be pretty funny but it's not for everyone.  

It's basically a throwback 80s kids movie mixed with the man in suit monsters from Ultraman/Power Rangers plus a sick sense of humor and over the top gore played for laughs.  

A brother and sister accidentally dig up a long buried alien who was once stopped from destroying the universe.  The kids hold an amulet that makes him obey them.  Hijinks ensue.  

It's from one of the directors of the Void, but is a very different tone than that movie.  One of the more fun movies I've watched in a while.   I'll definitely re-watch this one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I watched Psycho Goreman this week.  I found it to be pretty funny but it's not for everyone.  

It's basically a throwback 80s kids movie mixed with the man in suit monsters from Ultraman/Power Rangers plus a sick sense of humor and over the top gore played for laughs.  

A brother and sister accidentally dig up a long buried alien who was once stopped from destroying the universe.  The kids hold an amulet that makes him obey them.  Hijinks ensue.  

It's from one of the directors of the Void, but is a very different tone than that movie.  One of the more fun movies I've watched in a while.   I'll definitely re-watch this one.

I've been really looking forward to this and have read nothing but hilarious and positive reviews.  I'll be watching this weekend while my wife is at her friend's baby shower!   

46 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I've been really looking forward to this and have read nothing but hilarious and positive reviews.  I'll be watching this weekend while my wife is at her friend's baby shower!   

Pretty sure you won’t turn this one off.

• Like 1