Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

I just noticed something semi subtle in the alien movie Dark Skies.  Other than Alien/Aliens, this is definitely my favorite movie in the horror/sci-fi alien subgenre.  I can't remember if I wrote a review on it, but the movie leaves me feeling very disturbed and helpless.  It makes me literally believe that those things happen and can happen to any of us.  

Anyways...back to my point.  DO NOT read if you haven't seen it yet, but I thought it was a nice addition:

Spoiler

In the beginning of the movie, the younger brother Sammy asks if the Sandman is real.  His older brother tells him that he is real and that he eats the eyeballs of children.  Sammy asks his older brother, "Will he take my eyeballs?"  Older brother responds and says, "No, you're too small, but he might take mine."  

That is the forecast for exactly what happens at the end of the movie.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

I just noticed something semi subtle in the alien movie Dark Skies.  Other than Alien/Aliens, this is definitely my favorite movie in the horror/sci-fi alien subgenre.  I can't remember if I wrote a review on it, but the movie leaves me feeling very disturbed and helpless.  It makes me literally believe that those things happen and can happen to any of us.  

Anyways...back to my point.  DO NOT read if you haven't seen it yet, but I thought it was a nice addition:

Hide contents

In the beginning of the movie, the younger brother Sammy asks if the Sandman is real.  His older brother tells him that he is real and that he eats the eyeballs of children.  Sammy asks his older brother, "Will he take my eyeballs?"  Older brother responds and says, "No, you're too small, but he might take mine."  

That is the forecast for exactly what happens at the end of the movie.  

That was a good one. I also remember liking The Fourth Kind but it’s been awhile since I last saw it 

• Like 1

We watched Things Heard & Seen today. It was quite a good film until they couldn't figure out how to end it. 

• Like 1

Watched "Sinister” last night. How did I miss this gem from 2012? All the standard horror boxes were checked

• family moves into a house where grizzly murders occurred 
  • things that go bump in the night
  • creepy kids
  • whiskey drinking dad losing his mind
  • box of snuff films on 8mm in the attic

All good stuff. Creepy and disturbing. Good popcorn horror movie. Streaming on showtime. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gannan said:

Watched "Sinister” last night. How did I miss this gem from 2012? All the standard horror boxes were checked

• creepy kids

All good stuff. Creepy and disturbing. Good popcorn horror movie. Streaming on showtime. 

I thought it was OK but it was let down by one scene. The scene where they are talking about what might be in the attic and they say it could be a snake, oh but snakes don't have legs. I can't remember the full scene but I remember thinking it tried to be some kind of joke that wasn't funny and was misplaced. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I thought it was OK but it was let down by one scene. The scene where they are talking about what might be in the attic and they say it could be a snake, oh but snakes don't have legs. I can't remember the full scene but I remember thinking it tried to be some kind of joke that wasn't funny and was misplaced. 

That bothered me as well, not to mention it takes places in Pennsylvania where we don't get snakes in our attics and we definitely don't have scorpions. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gannan said:

• creepy kids

I like this one too but multiple times during the movie I wanted to scream "Turn on the Fing lights!!!"  How many times can a character walk through a creepy, dark room without instinctively turning on the lights? 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Gannan said:

• creepy kids

One of my favorites.  The different family deaths were awesome too (I'm really a sick bastid).  This part below sent chills down my spine and resulted in a change in underpants.  

Spoiler

Bughuul memes. Best Collection of funny bughuul pictures on iFunny

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gannan said:

That bothered me as well, not to mention it takes places in Pennsylvania where we don't get snakes in our attics and we definitely don't have scorpions. 

It just made no sense. Was just a little silly really. 

On 5/12/2021 at 2:26 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'll definitely agree with you there bud. My issue with horror films these days is they rely more of special FX and gore. Suspense, music, atmosphere are much more effective in my opinion.

Actually it's a lot easier to get "suspense" horror made today than efx films.  Ever since the success of Blair Witch the powers that be in tinseltown have placed a priority on low budget one location few character movies, and it's actually easier to get a bad cheapie made than a great script that might cost a few million to produce (i.e. - little or no efx is generally a requirement today).

Unfortunately there are just as many bad suspense horror films made as bad efx horror films. As the song said "it ain't what you do but the way that you do it."

Also, until the 80s most horror films were made by true fans of the genre. After the home video revolution, many producers (and writers and directors) who were not fans decided to try their hands "slumming" in the genre as a way to make a quick buck. Look at the films Amazon produces inhouse. Even worse than the crap churned out by the Asylum for Syfy, and that's saying a lot.

Trying to find a good horror film these days is like trying to find true love. You have to kiss a lot of toads to find the prince.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

Actually it's a lot easier to get "suspense" horror made today than efx films.  Ever since the success of Blair Witch the powers that be in tinseltown have placed a priority on low budget one location few character movies, and it's actually easier to get a bad cheapie made than a great script that might cost a few million to produce (i.e. - little or no efx is generally a requirement today).

Unfortunately there are just as many bad suspense horror films made as bad efx horror films. As the song said "it ain't what you do but the way that you do it."

Also, until the 80s most horror films were made by true fans of the genre. After the home video revolution, many producers (and writers and directors) who were not fans decided to try their hands "slumming" in the genre as a way to make a quick buck. Look at the films Amazon produces inhouse. Even worse than the crap churned out by the Asylum for Syfy, and that's saying a lot.

Trying to find a good horror film these days is like trying to find true love. You have to kiss a lot of toads to find the prince.

Great post.  The amount of crap I have to sift through in order to strike gold is endless.  I've been looking on r/horror quite a bit on Reddit just to double check so I'm not wasting time with any of the bad ones.  

It's been awhile since I've seen a good found footage horror movie, but I've got a really good recommendation called "Horror in the High Desert."  It's brand new along the lines of Hell House (probably my favorite found footage movie), Blair Witch or Grave Encounters.  This movie was suspenseful, interesting, and the last 10-15 minutes are absolutely worth the short wait.  You can find it on Tubi.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

I agree with a lot of this but regarding the bolded statement, It's really always been this way to one extent or another, especially in modern horror from the 60s on.  Overtime, certain movies become classics and the garbage falls away from memory but they were there.  In other cases, people begin to like movies that were once considered garbage.  I think people are just more aware of sifting through the garbage when they have to do it in real time. 

If you are looking back to previous decades like the 70s and 80s, a lot of that sifting has been done for you already.  I practically lived in movie theaters and the local video store throughout the 80s, especially a horror fan from too young an age.  It was always far more common to see a bad horror movie than a good or, especially, a great one.

Just be glad you have the internet to help.  We pretty much had to go by what looked cool in Fangoria and word of mouth back then.  Or you could be like I was and just go see every one that came out and hope for the best.

• Like 2

After I watch Psycho Goreman and Session 9 (I've heard incredible things), I am legitimately out of horror movies to watch.  If anyone knows of any obscure, off the wall, different new horror movies, please post your reviews!  

31 minutes ago, hputenis said:

After I watch Psycho Goreman and Session 9 (I've heard incredible things), I am legitimately out of horror movies to watch.  If anyone knows of any obscure, off the wall, different new horror movies, please post your reviews!  

Session 9 is great.  

Not new but have you seen Lake Mungo?  If not it's available on Prime and I highly recommend it.  

Also on Prime and Hulu is Spontaneous, a teen age love story set in a high school where kids are spontaneously exploding for no apparent reason.  Dark humor with some splatter. I dug it.

I recently watched Alone on Hulu, about a girl trying to escape from her kidnapper.  It' a good one.

The Postcard Killings was worth a watch.  An NYC detective's daughter is murdered in Europe by a serial killer and he tries to help find the killer.  I'm a Jeffrey Dean Morgan fan and he's pretty good in it.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

Session 9 is great.  

Not new but have you seen Lake Mungo?  If not it's available on Prime and I highly recommend it.  

Also on Prime and Hulu is Spontaneous, a teen age love story set in a high school where kids are spontaneously exploding for no apparent reason.  Dark humor with some splatter. I dug it.

I recently watched Alone on Hulu, about a girl trying to escape from her kidnapper.  It' a good one.

The Postcard Killings was worth a watch.  An NYC detective's daughter is murdered in Europe by a serial killer and he tries to help find the killer.  I'm a Jeffrey Dean Morgan fan and he's pretty good in it.

I was a big fan of Lake Mungo.  Super creepy.  The way some of these found footage horrors utilize low budget along with a great story makes for a great movie.  Horror in the High Desert crushed this too.  Alone was great!  

I started watching Spontaneous in Hulu and once I saw the first person explode, I lost interest for some reason.  Not sure why, but I'll give it another shot!  

Out of all of these, I don't think I saw the Postcard Killings.  I'll check this one out ASAP!  

The Devils Child was kind of boring. Also gross at the end 

In the Earth was weird as F

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hputenis said:

Not a movie, but the new season of Haunted is out on Netflix. Lots of good classic horror stuff in those episodes. 

• Thanks 1

I just noticed Saint Maud was added on Hulu and Prime Video.  I haven't watched it yet but it's been at the top of a lot of best of 2021 so far lists for critics I usually trust.

This just got bumped to the top of my queue for the weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shepard Wong said:

I just noticed Saint Maud was added on Hulu and Prime Video.  I haven't watched it yet but it's been at the top of a lot of best of 2021 so far lists for critics I usually trust.

It's not too bad.  I honestly was expecting a lot more, but it still checked a lot of creepy boxes.  

2 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I'm in the minority that didn't like it. There wasn't anything remotely scary or even thrilling until like an hour into the movie

11 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

Worst one?  

I watched the first few minutes of Begotten because I was curious - I shut it off because I had no clue what the hell was even going on.  :lol: Other than that the only one I’ve seen was Last House on the Left I think

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

How many of these movies have you sickos watched? :lol: 

https://mubi.com/lists/sickest-most-grotesque-and-disturbing-films

I've seen 11!  Although since it looks like @bobeph is the lead in Taxidermia, that's next on my list!

1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13,16, 17, 21, 30, and 31

• Haha 1