Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

On 2/15/2022 at 9:31 PM, mikemack8 said:

Antlers was meh IMO

Agreed on Antlers.  I thought it got off to a great start then just plummeted about halfway through the movie.  I love that plot idea, but I just don't think the movie was done right. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Agreed on Antlers.  I thought it got off to a great start then just plummeted about halfway through the movie.  I love that plot idea, but I just don't think the movie was done right. 

I watched this the other day and this is how I felt about it too. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 11:23 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

For anyone that likes anthology/short story stuff I randomly found Oats Studio on Netflix. Its a bunch of high end short story films that were used to gauge interest if they should be feature films. Neil Blomkamp started the company so there’s a lot of his sci-fi spin to it, but it’s a decent way to kill 30 mins at a time. 

The one called Zygote with Dakota Fanning was awesome. One of the best monster/creatures I’ve seen in movies

Thanks for the suggestion!  I feel like I started watching this awhile back but forgot about it.  I absolutely love the first one.  

I was eating lunch while watching "Cooking with Bill.”  My advice to anyone out there is to not eat lunch while watching "Cooking with Bill.”  

• Haha 1

We watched the new Scream last night. I was back and forth on it.

It was sorta cool how they pretty much mirrored the original and still made it feel like something new. At times they repeated the same conversations word for word and I sorta felt like it was just a remake and it felt cheap. But then other stuff happened to remind you it was still progressing the story. 

It was a bit more gruesome than I remembered. But the blood all looked fake. 

Coulda been better. Felt low budget. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 11:23 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

For anyone that likes anthology/short story stuff I randomly found Oats Studio on Netflix. Its a bunch of high end short story films that were used to gauge interest if they should be feature films. Neil Blomkamp started the company so there’s a lot of his sci-fi spin to it, but it’s a decent way to kill 30 mins at a time. 

The one called Zygote with Dakota Fanning was awesome. One of the best monster/creatures I’ve seen in movies

Thanks. love anthologies. 

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I was the same.  Took my wife to the theatres.  Like old times, seeing a scary movie in the theatres on a Friday night.  

Cool fact.  This recent Scream was filmed in Wilmington NC.  Same as the most recent Halloween movies.  Wilmington has a long history of film and it's apparently becoming more and more of a mini east Hollywood.  That's the area we are most likely going to move to in the next few years.  

Im not sure where they are going with this. 

It felt like it could have been intended to re-boot the franchise. But Im not sure the low budget feel it had, and all the references back to the original that new audiences wont get, is going to draw in a new generation of audience members. It felt more like a 1 time trip down memory lane for us old fans. 

I think if it was meant to re-start the franchise, they missed the mark horribly. Should have gone higher budget, and less cheap throwbacks to the original.

If it was a one time thing, it was fine. 

Fresh on Hulu was a good watch. Not your typical horror movie although the plot is very horror. Gave of a lot of American Psycho vibes. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Fresh on Hulu was a good watch. Not your typical horror movie although the plot is very horror. Gave of a lot of American Psycho vibes. 

I've seen a bunch of positive reviews on this.  I'll have to bump it up to the top of my list.

On 3/10/2022 at 11:07 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

I somehow got my wife to watch this, and we both enjoyed it.  Thanks for the recommendation butt licker! 

• Haha 2

Wife and I are watching an Ireland based movie everyday this week.  She won’t watch this horror/comedy movie the Grappers.  It’s a favorite of mine.

97F84BDE-1877-4442-82C3-71341093E7A7.png

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:15 AM, HazletonEagle said:

Im not sure where they are going with this. 

It felt like it could have been intended to re-boot the franchise. But Im not sure the low budget feel it had, and all the references back to the original that new audiences wont get, is going to draw in a new generation of audience members. It felt more like a 1 time trip down memory lane for us old fans. 

I think if it was meant to re-start the franchise, they missed the mark horribly. Should have gone higher budget, and less cheap throwbacks to the original.

If it was a one time thing, it was fine. 

Apparently there will be another Scream movie - Courtney Cox announced she just received the script and filming is going to begin soon apparently

3 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Apparently there will be another Scream movie - Courtney Cox announced she just received the script and filming is going to begin soon apparently

I kind of figured... they put a lot of effort in to creating a new thing here.

Ill still watch. Maybe the 2nd will be better than the first since they can really begin to write a new story now. Hopefully they dont just mirror the 2nd scream.

• Like 1

It has potential to keep going. I did like the first half of the new one. Just thought the end motivation was beyond stupid. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 10:55 AM, mikemack8 said:

Try anything and you're canceled, bro :lol: 

That was the absolute worst. I turned it off after that. 

• Like 1

I'm back into a found footage horror kick.  There are some really good ones out there.  The problem is there are some really terrible ones out there.  These are the best in my opinion so watch them immediately, or we fight.  

-Hell House, LLC

-Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum

-Lake Mungo

-Horror in the High Desert (kind of new - not many people know about this)

-VHS 1 & 2

-All Paranormal Activities of course

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

I'm back into a found footage horror kick.  There are some really good ones out there.  The problem is there are some really terrible ones out there.  These are the best in my opinion so watch them immediately, or we fight.  

-Hell House, LLC

-Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum

-Lake Mungo

-Horror in the High Desert (kind of new - not many people know about this)

-VHS 1 & 2

-All Paranormal Activities of course

I love Lake Mungo.  I even bought this absurdly overpriced import blu ray.  spacer.png

Have you heard about Romero's Jacaranda Joe?  It's a found footage short about Bigfoot he made back in 94 but it never got shown anywhere.

University of Pitt is premiering it with an online screening on April 12th that's free to the public.  You just need to register for it on Pitt's library website.

https://calendar.pitt.edu/event/romerojoe#.YkSaD_nMKM8

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shepard Wong said:

I love Lake Mungo.  I even bought this absurdly overpriced import blu ray.  spacer.png

Have you heard about Romero's Jacaranda Joe?  It's a found footage short about Bigfoot he made back in 94 but it never got shown anywhere.

University of Pitt is premiering it with an online screening on April 12th that's free to the public.  You just need to register for it on Pitt's library website.

https://calendar.pitt.edu/event/romerojoe#.YkSaD_nMKM8

😂 A Lake Mungo blu ray set is impressive.  I've never seen Jacaranda Joe's, but you can bet your arse I'm registering for it and watching it on April 12!  Thanks for the heads up!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We saw a preview of some Excorcist movie when we saw Scream.  It was with some blonde nun.  And it looked good, and I’m not into those kind of movies.  I prefer the slashers.  But did anyone else see the preview and remember the name of it?  

We did see the preview for X and thought that looked good as well.  In a 2022 kinda way. 

I think that’s The Exorcism of God.  I saw that one too.

If you like slashers, X will probably be in your wheelhouse.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That wasn’t it either.  The main character was a blonde chick.  I thought she was a nun.  But I could be wrong. 

Hmm.  Maybe The Long Night?

• Like 1

OK @4for4EaglesNest, I may have found it but if not, I at least stumbled on a movie that was shot and announced 2 years ago but still hasn’t released even though it had an announced release date in February.  The Devil’s Light.  I can’t even find a poster or trailer online anywhere but it matches your description.  Looks like it’s got a new release date in October.  The BD article below is from 2020 so this has been in the can for awhile.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9271672/

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3644745/lionsgates-devils-light-features-candymans-virginia-madsen/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I found that one too.   And it’s not it.  I’m not losing my mind, trust me.  We told my sister about it afterwards and have been looking for the trailer ever since.  I guess in time it will come out.  

You sure you didn’t nod off for a few minutes and dream this?

• Haha 2