Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

12 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The Thing prequel is very underrated.

Watched the Candyman remake or whatever it was, it sucked. 

Totally agree.  I couldn't even get through it.  Expectations were high too which didn't help.  

23 hours ago, hputenis said:

Watching the Thing (1982) on Blu Ray this morning. I forgot how disgusting this movie is.  😂 What a brilliant movie for 1982. It withstands the test of time. 

Also, I didn’t realize the newer version, which is also really good, is actually meant to be the prequel to the 1982 version.  They paid attention to the details too like when they found the mutated alien that conjoined faces with the one guy.  Good thing my pants were on during that scene. 

I’m awful at ranking movies but The Thing has been my favorite horror movie since it was released.  I watch it at least twice a year.

• Like 2

Over the weekend, I re-watched Tobe Hooper's Funhouse for the first time in several decades.  It's funny that I mostly remembered this as a slasher and it has some of those elements but it's as much of a modern, for the time, monster movie rooted in the old Universal Monster movies as it is a slasher.  I liked this a lot and it holds up well.  I consider this one of Hooper's better movies.

I also happened upon a half hour of torture, in a bad way, called Splatter on Netflix.  I saw that it stared Corey Feldman and should have known better but it was directed by Joe Dante and also had Tony Todd in it.  I felt obligated to at least give it a try but it is shockingly bad.  I don't know if you guys ever played the old VCR board games where you interact with a premade video as part of the game like VCR Clue or Nightmare, but it had the production quality of one of those videos.  If it wasn't so short, I doubt I would have finished it.  

• Like 1

Watched X tonight. It was ok. Kinda unrealistic, but I saw Brittany Snow’s teets so it gets at least a B from me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I watched "Creep" on Netflix over the weekend. Probably my favorite of the "found footage" horrors. The acting was really good and loved the end. I will probably get around to the sequel at some point. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gannan said:

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I watched "Creep" on Netflix over the weekend. Probably my favorite of the "found footage" horrors. The acting was really good and loved the end. I will probably get around to the sequel at some point. 

Creep is fantastic.  Mark Duplass definitely has range outside of just comedy.  He was extremely convincing in his role in this movie.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hputenis said:

Creep is fantastic.  Mark Duplass definitely has range outside of just comedy.  He was extremely convincing in his role in this movie.  

I haven't watched this one yet.  I'll have to bump it to the top of my queue.

I'm going to see The Black Phone on my way home from work Wednesday night.  I'm really excited for it.  I hope it's as good as I've heard.

• Like 1

Don't remember seeing this posted - final trailer for Nope.  It reveals quite a bit more about the premise of the movie, so don't watch if you want to keep the mystery

• Like 1

I'm all in on this.  Kind of looks like a rip off of "Truth or Dare," but that movie was awesome.  

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 12:31 PM, Shepard Wong said:

I haven't watched this one yet.  I'll have to bump it to the top of my queue.

I'm going to see The Black Phone on my way home from work Wednesday night.  I'm really excited for it.  I hope it's as good as I've heard.

Well Were Waiting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Black Phone was based on  book by Joe Hill who is Stephen King's son. Haven't read it yet, but currently reading another of his, "Heart Shaped Box". It's scary as hell. His writing might be creepier than his father's. 

• Like 1

Fun fact that everyone probably already knew, but for some reason I just realized this. 

My favorite episode of the Office is the one where Dwight runs the fire drill in the beginning then cuts the face off of that expensive CPR dummy and wears it. When he’s with HR, he says "I didn’t think it looked very realistic in the movie, but it turns it, it definitely is.”  That movie is House of 1000 Corpses, which is one of my all time faves, and Dwight is obviously in the movie.  Dwight plays fish boy and dies a peaceful death that all of us can only hope for. 😂😂

image.jpeg.692b594290809c8420313cc5aa8399e3.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone see the new Winnie the Pooh movie? I believe it's called Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey. I've been told @olsilverhairloves going to the theaters for horror movies. Apparently he gets so scared he spends all this time with his face in another dudes lap

I finally saw the Black Phone yesterday and really enjoyed it.  Ethan Hawke plays that creepy bastid extremely well, and the movie is very well done.  The ending was a little cheesy, but this movie had me hooked the entire time.  

Spoiler

If Robin Arellano was in the cast of Stranger Things, he would have throat punched all the kids, destroyed the portal to the upside down by jump-kicking it, put Eleven in a coma, and saved the entire town of Hawkins by Season 1, Episode 2.  

On 7/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, hputenis said:

I finally saw the Black Phone yesterday and really enjoyed it.  Ethan Hawke plays that creepy bastid extremely well, and the movie is very well done.  The ending was a little cheesy, but this movie had me hooked the entire time.  

Reveal hidden contents

If Robin Arellano was in the cast of Stranger Things, he would have throat punched all the kids, destroyed the portal to the upside down by jump-kicking it, put Eleven in a coma, and saved the entire town of Hawkins by Season 1, Episode 2.  

Howdy

• 2 weeks later...

Found a super fun and really entertaining movie in Shudder. 

Bloody Hell

Guy stops a bank robbery but goes to jail due to the circumstances. Post jail decided to go away to Finland and runs into an insane family. Pretty funny and definitely entertaining. One of the better horror genre movies I’ve seen in awhile. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, homerpat said:

Found a super fun and really entertaining movie in Shudder. 

Bloody Hell

Guy stops a bank robbery but goes to jail due to the circumstances. Post jail decided to go away to Finland and runs into an insane family. Pretty funny and definitely entertaining. One of the better horror genre movies I’ve seen in awhile. 

Agreed - I saw this the other night and thought it was pretty funny and creative.  

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

Agreed - I saw this the other night and thought it was pretty funny and creative.  

Really enjoyed the lead actor and the girl was gorgeous as well

Go watch Prey. It’s easily the best Predator sequel and I like all of the sequels to some degree.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

Go watch Prey. It’s easily the best Predator sequel and I like all of the sequels to some degree.

Just added it to list last night. Thanks for heads up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

Even The Predator?

• Haha 2

I don't remember HATING The Predator, but I admittedly don't remember much about it really.  I need to re-watch it.  I probably like the one with Adrien Brody more than most.  I don't remember much about the AVP movies either.  Might just have a to do a full blown Predators tour soon - watch them all 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I don't remember HATING The Predator, but I admittedly don't remember much about it really.  I need to re-watch it.  I probably like the one with Adrien Brody more than most.  I don't remember much about the AVP movies either.  Might just have a to do a full blown Predators tour soon - watch them all 

I hate The Predator with a passion. I was excited for it when they announced Shane Black was directing and I thought it would be more closer to the original. Instead they try to turn it into some stupid raunchy comedy.

I liked Predators a lot too. Probably the second best Predator movie (not counting Prey). 

• Like 2