Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

2 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

So what did Josiah see?  Was it you, wearing a tutu while shaving @olsilverhairs taint and then giving him the old Rusty trombone?

you want a piece of mona?

• Haha 1

I watched Afflicted on something (prime)? If your desperate for something and don’t mind found footage movies, it’s pretty good 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 12:16 AM, LeanMeanGM said:

I watched Afflicted on something (prime)? If your desperate for something and don’t mind found footage movies, it’s pretty good 

Yeah Afflicted is a pretty decent one.  I thought those guys were responsible for directing another good one, but I was thinking of another movie called "Spring," which is also pretty good (directed by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead).  I've posted about it in here before somewhere, but if you want 2 low budget, well-done horror movies, watch "Resolution" followed by "the Endless" by those 2 directors.  The Endless is one of my favorites, and the movies are loosely related to each other.  Both are total mindfux.  

• Like 1

I'm traveling for work this week so I'm gonna go see Nope tonight - hoping I'll be the only one in the theater so I can pull a PeeWee Herman!

• Haha 2

Just now, mikemack8 said:

I'm traveling for work this week so I'm gonna go see Nope tonight - hoping I'll be the only one in the theater so I can pull a PeeWee Herman!

Give us a review afterwards!  And just because there are brutally graphic alien anal probing scenes doesn't make it 5 stahs!  

• Haha 1

I have finally reached my limit as far as how much brutal content I can handle.  I have never seen some of the anointed most disturbing horror movies of all time.  Some of those lists include August Underground, A Serbian Film, Salo or 120 Days of Sodom, Nekromantik, etc.  I have seen Cannibal Holocaust, Martyrs, Irreversible, and some others while being able to get through them.  Martyrs was not easy, but it was a great movie.  

I just started a Masters of Horror episode, called "Imprint," which is directed by Takashi Miike.  He also directed Ichi the Killer, which I did see, but I could barely get through.  Imprint is only a 1 hr 3 minutes episode, and I had to turn it off halfway through.  Now that I've peaked your interest, my suggest is to never watch it.  Ever.  However, I'm gonna try to get through the rest of it tonight!  

• Like 1

Nope was good.  It wasn't what I expected.  I wouldn't call it horror - more sci-fi than anything.  There are some horror elements, and a few unsettling scenes, but as with all Peele movies he's trying to tell you something else entirely.  I loved the cast - every single one of them.  Also - I saw a lot of reviews that said that you should watch it on a large screen, with great sound, etc.  They weren't kidding - this movie will not hit the same sitting at home, unless you have a legit theater set up.  

Overall - Not as good as Get Out, but better than Us, if we're ranking his movies.  

• Like 3

On 8/23/2022 at 3:11 PM, hputenis said:

Yeah Afflicted is a pretty decent one.  I thought those guys were responsible for directing another good one, but I was thinking of another movie called "Spring," which is also pretty good (directed by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead).  I've posted about it in here before somewhere, but if you want 2 low budget, well-done horror movies, watch "Resolution" followed by "the Endless" by those 2 directors.  The Endless is one of my favorites, and the movies are loosely related to each other.  Both are total mindfux.  

Thanks. I also liked Spring so I'll def check out those two.

Shudder has a Swedish film called The Innocents (De Uskeyrige) that's really unique, if you can take subtitles. Great child actors and a very interesting story with some very disturbing parts. It builds slowly at first then gets more and more intense.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, mikemack8 said:

Nope was good.  It wasn't what I expected.  I wouldn't call it horror - more sci-fi than anything.  There are some horror elements, and a few unsettling scenes, but as with all Peele movies he's trying to tell you something else entirely.  I loved the cast - every single one of them.  Also - I saw a lot of reviews that said that you should watch it on a large screen, with great sound, etc.  They weren't kidding - this movie will not hit the same sitting at home, unless you have a legit theater set up.  

Overall - Not as good as Get Out, but better than Us, if we're ranking his movies.  

Interesting that this is a big screen movie. Maybe I’ll go see it tomorrow.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TEW said:

Interesting that this is a big screen movie. Maybe I’ll go see it tomorrow.

I believe it was shot for IMAX - I just saw it on the regular big screen. IMAX would have been amazing

On 8/23/2022 at 3:25 PM, hputenis said:

I have finally reached my limit as far as how much brutal content I can handle.  I have never seen some of the anointed most disturbing horror movies of all time.  Some of those lists include August Underground, A Serbian Film, Salo or 120 Days of Sodom, Nekromantik, etc.  I have seen Cannibal Holocaust, Martyrs, Irreversible, and some others while being able to get through them.  Martyrs was not easy, but it was a great movie.  

I just started a Masters of Horror episode, called "Imprint," which is directed by Takashi Miike.  He also directed Ichi the Killer, which I did see, but I could barely get through.  Imprint is only a 1 hr 3 minutes episode, and I had to turn it off halfway through.  Now that I've peaked your interest, my suggest is to never watch it.  Ever.  However, I'm gonna try to get through the rest of it tonight!  

Remind me which one that was?  The best one was the film one by John Carpenter starring Daryl from walking dead 

looked it up. I rarely rate episodes but gave this a 5 way back in day on IMDb so I guess I didn’t like it. I really miss Masters or Horror though. Love anthologies so much

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 3:25 PM, hputenis said:

cannot_be_unseen.jpg

• Haha 1

I took my oldest to see Jaws in IMAX at 10am this morning. So fun watching him jump at all the same parts I did as a kid. 

I’ve seen it at least 20 times over the years and I could always watch it again. It’s probably the closest thing to a perfect movie that’s ever been made.

• Like 3

One of my favorite low budget "found footage” horror movies is called "the Bay.”  It’s horrifying, and I think I like it so much because I always thought it was a possibility for isopods to start harming people.  Looks like it has started happening in Southern California. Yay!

https://www.foxnews.com/science/californians-plagued-feet-eating-mini-shark-bugs.amp

20 hours ago, hputenis said:

One of my favorite low budget "found footage” horror movies is called "the Bay.”  It’s horrifying, and I think I like it so much because I always thought it was a possibility for isopods to start harming people.  Looks like it has started happening in Southern California. Yay!

https://www.foxnews.com/science/californians-plagued-feet-eating-mini-shark-bugs.amp

new vhs coming soon. always love those anthologies even though last few have been week. 

for found footage I like the series where the people took over haunted house to make it an attraction and was legit haunted. They did a few sequels that weren’t too bad either. I think there’s a fourth that just came out or coming out soon. sorry can’t remember name. Looked it up. Hell House LLC

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, homerpat said:

new vhs coming soon. always love those anthologies even though last few have been week. 

for found footage I like the series where the people took over haunted house to make it an attraction and was legit haunted. They did a few sequels that weren’t too bad either. I think there’s a fourth that just came out or coming out soon. sorry can’t remember name. Looked it up. Hell House LLC

This is one of if not the best found footage in my opinion.  Make sure to watch the Director’s Cut. It’s about 20 minutes longer with some scenes that were cut from the original. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hputenis said:

This is one of if not the best found footage in my opinion.  Make sure to watch the Director’s Cut. It’s about 20 minutes longer with some scenes that were cut from the original. 

Thanks. will look for it. What are your thoughts on the sequels?  I enjoyed them. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 6:41 PM, homerpat said:

Thanks. will look for it. What are your thoughts on the sequels?  I enjoyed them. 

I only saw the 2nd one, and I was a little disappointed, so I never got around to the 3rd.  The first one was just such a well told story and had such unique scares, but a lot of people gave strong reviews about the sequels.  Just wasn't my cup of tea.  

I saw Watcher on Shudder last night.  It liked it.  I've seen people complaining the ending was obvious but that is kind of the point of the movie. 

The lead is the girl from It Follows and she's really good in it.  It's worth checking out.

Spoiler

It's less a whodunnit and more of a slow dread building to what becomes an almost inevitable ending.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I saw Watcher on Shudder last night.  It liked it.  I've seen people complaining the ending was obvious but that is kind of the point of the movie. 

The lead is the girl from It Follows and she's really good in it.  It's worth checking out.

Reveal hidden contents

It's less a whodunnit and more of a slow dread building to what becomes an almost inevitable ending.  

I started watching this and got distracted, but it looks like it had promise.  There's a new one of Shudder with that dude from True Blood, called "Glorious," and it's surprisingly good.  It's an awesome cosmic horror that just came out last week.  Very Lovecraftian.